Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Unpopular Video Game Opinions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Unpopular Video Game Opinions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think most of us have opinions on video games that don't exactly fall into "The Norm." Games we love that almost everyone else hates, or games we hate that almost everyone else loves.

This is the place to share those opinions.

Go on. No one will bite.

My unpopular game opinions?

Final Fantasies. I just don't get it. I don't get the reason so many people worship this series. I find it to be...average at best, in all aspects other than graphics, at which point it's, mostly, above average.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love (love) the Dragon Quest series. It's a very niche title, and a lot of people find it tedious, but I just love it. I love the graphics (Which, aside from part Seven, were actually very good -- Dragon Quest Six has the best graphics I've ever seen on a Super Nintendo), I love the story, I love the characters, I love the battle system, I love the old school feel of the menus. I just love it.

So. There are mine. Now it's your turn to come clean ;)

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1) I definently don't think that Chrono Trigger blows Chrono Cross away like everyone else.

2) The reason that the series is so popular is because people have stuck with it through it's ups and it's downs. Games like FFVI, FFVII and FFIX are definently above average.

3) I just don't like shooting games anymore...I used to like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but...I think these games are the height of perfection for the genre...any objections are welcome.

4) The Legend of Zelda Series is the best ever for any console. Every title brings something new and innovative, and honestly, I'd have to struggle to name a Zelda title (by Nintendo) that I don't like. Even The Wind Waker, with it's stupid graphics and five dungeons, still had it's shining moments that made me happy I bought it. No series has ever stayed at such a level of quality for so long...The zelda series is kind of like U2...but that's good and bad.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh. I find FFVII and FFIX to be steaming piles of poo. But, as I said. Unpopular opinion. :lol:

Liking Zelda is unpopular? :? Really? Well, add that one to my list, too. :) Although I wasn't a huge fan of The Wind Waker, and the graphics were, to me, the only thing that kept me playing the game. It's the only thing that broke up the monotony of the sailing and repetitiveness of the dungeons. ("Oh look. I have to jump from block to block with my torch while avoiding the water. How new and original. The first three rooms I did it in. :roll: ")

YES. YES IT CAN.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The one game that pisses me off is Star Ocean 3. When i first played the game i was hoping to explore hi-tech cities on technologically advanced planets but all i got was being stuck on that boring underdeveloped planet, Elicoor II. Yes, i can tolerate it if you would only spend a little time on that planet but when 70% of game is confined to Elicoor II i might as well play Final Fantasy IX or the Legend of Dragoon if i wanted to play an RPG with a medieval setting.

Once i got to the SO3 plot twist i lost interest in playing the game and question myself why have i been playing this piece of trash for the last 50 hours.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 wrote:
The one game that pisses me off is Star Ocean 3. When i first played the game i was hoping to explore hi-tech cities on technologically advanced planets but all i got was being stuck on that boring underdeveloped planet, Elicoor II. Yes, i can tolerate it if you would only spend a little time on that planet but when 70% of game is confined to Elicoor II i might as well play Final Fantasy IX or the Legend of Dragoon if i wanted to play an RPG with a medieval setting.

Once i got to the SO3 plot twist i lost interest in playing the game and question myself why have i been playing this piece of trash for the last 50 hours.

Oh, God yes! I hated the plot twist. I know it's supposed to be this giant "I think therefore I am" deal. But it not only invalidated all of the crap I went through with these (Rather lackluster, if I may say so) characters, but it also destroyed any feelings I had about the characters in the other two, also.

I didn't even really like the battle system. Penny Arcade said it best, I think. (Paraphrased) "So, whoever you're not controlling gets ass-raped by lizardmen?"

Add that to the dumbed down item creation, and you have one of the most disappointing games of this generation.

YES. YES IT CAN.

Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well...

1. Final Fantasy. I don't see what's so bad about them that there must be a mention of hate for it no matter which other RPG series that I actually ventured into. Sure, the overall hype is pretty bad, but the games themselves aren't actually as bad as these people are making them out to be. Right. Anti-fanboys amuse me as much as fanboys do, ha. (FFT is an exception though. It's boring).

2. Xenogears. You don't compensate inexistent gameplay with endless amount of text. I don't see what's so good about it. At all.

3. Chrono Trigger. Pretty average to me. Not good, but not bad either. Sure didn't live up to the amount of hype surrounding this game.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know, it's "cool" nowadays to be a Final Fantasy hater. Don't think that you're going against the grain by declaring that you don't like Final Fantasy.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure it's "cool" so much as the people that dislike it are now being more vocal about their dislike.

Regardless, I've never gotten it. I like IV, and I like VI, and I like X-2, but all the other ones? Disliked then and disliked now. Except for X which I have an immense feeling of disinterest about.

I remember right after Final Fantasy VII came out and the next day at school all my friends were like "OMG SO GUD!!11!!!" (Only my friends had better grammar. Probably.). And I sat there and said "Eh. It's decent."

You would have thought I told them I put kittens in the microwave for fun.

"YOU DON'T LIKE IT!?!?"
"Eh. Not really. I mean, it's not bad, except for the graphi--"
"THE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME!"
"They look like legos."
"No way! Did you see the FMV with the motorcycle?"

and so on and so forth. A couple of them actually stopped talking to me for a while after that. It was kinda weird. :?

YES. YES IT CAN.

Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Hot Ice wrote:
1) I definently don't think that Chrono Trigger blows Chrono Cross away like everyone else.

I don't think that chrono cross is any worse than chrono trigger... instead I think Chrono Cross is better... not just because of the graphics (which is what most people normally assume) but overall... I don't like how slow chrono trigger is either, even though most of chrono trigger was cool, I still and always will choose Chrono cross over chrono trigger any day... :twisted:

Quote:
2) The reason that the series is so popular is because people have stuck with it through it's ups and it's downs. Games like FFVI, FFVII and FFIX are definently above average.

I agree with ya The Hot Ice, I haven't played all of the final fantasy series, but I have played Final Fantasy VII... and liked the game after ten minutes (with a little persuasion) the rest I just thought were good, but was missing something so overall average hehehe, but Final Fantasy ten wasn't bad to me... I think I quite liked it...

Quote:
3) I just don't like shooting games anymore...I used to like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for the N64, but...I think these games are the height of perfection for the genre...any objections are welcome.

Objection mwa ha ha ha haa... First person shooters have gotten... boring a little bit if you look at all the medal of honours, and james bond games... they all have so much in common that you only ned one of them to experience all of them... but what seperates these games the most is the storylines and the whole feel of it... shooting aliens or humans, history based or futuristic? and all that, I like shooting games... but still play time crisis and house of the dead from time to time using a gun of course... oh, I like Die Hard as well... especially with my scorpain gun (old but handy I had four other types of guns as well hehehe)

Quote:
You know, it's "cool" nowadays to be a Final Fantasy hater. Don't think that you're going against the grain by declaring that you don't like Final Fantasy.

It's even more cool if you like it :lol: well people should have their reasons for hating games... real reasons and not just the 'because it's crap' thing... oh well... their loss hehehe...

JNX out
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. I don't like Dragon Quest VII but still I spent 40+ hours in the game only to get to the ultimate class, sigh... the class system always had its own charm and that's the only thing I like from DQ VII. (and not to mention that I really like dragon quest manga, in fact, that was one of the first manga I read).

2. I think Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger, just like some of the people here said. I don't know...but I like the story more, and I found that the game was more enjoyable than Chrono trigger (but of course I really like CT when I only have SNES!). Another thing that I like more about CC is that the character art and design are just simply adorable.

3. I'm a very big fan of the Ogre Battle series (like Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, etc.). They're better than Final fantasy Tactics I think, in term of stories, and there's so many plot to choose in that game. I also like the realistic system, like once your character died, they died forever (no way you can have him again except you had the revivivy). About the battle system, it's similar (well, seing that both are made by the same team).

3. I really enjoy Star Ocean 2 and 3. I think both are just as good and have their own advantage and weaknesses. And I think that the battle system in 3 is good, even though 2 is still better.

4. I like playing the Tales series (Tales of Destiny, Phantasia, etc.), so much that I spent most of my time (about3/4 years ago) playing the game, resulting in my bad score for school.

9500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm one of a very few people I know who LOVES FFVIII (8)! I know it's so cliche and tacky but that's why /I/ love it. XD I laugh at how predictable it is. =)

But I'm not the type of person who can't hate anything. >_<; I always have lots of positive things to say about any game. ^^ I guess that's kind of unpopular. >_>;
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Final Fantasies. I just don't get it. I don't get the reason so many people worship this series. I find it to be...average at best, in all aspects other than graphics, at which point it's, mostly, above average.

On the other end of the spectrum, I love (love) the Dragon Quest series. It's a very niche title, and a lot of people find it tedious, but I just love it. I love the graphics (Which, aside from part Seven, were actually very good -- Dragon Quest Six has the best graphics I've ever seen on a Super Nintendo), I love the story, I love the characters, I love the battle system, I love the old school feel of the menus. I just love it.

I think when people say they like Final Fantasy, it's mostly the SNES era, FF4-6 are (What I think) are the best, especially FF6. I've actually nver played the Dragon Quest series, even though i've heard that it''s very good.
Quote:

The Legend of Zelda Series is the best ever for any console. Every title brings something new and innovative, and honestly, I'd have to struggle to name a Zelda title (by Nintendo) that I don't like. Even The Wind Waker, with it's stupid graphics and five dungeons, still had it's shining moments that made me happy I bought it. No series has ever stayed at such a level of quality for so long...The zelda series is kind of like U2...but that's good and bad.

I wouldn't say it's unpopular to like Zelda, Zelda is a really popular series, that's why I say, I dislike the zelda series, I've played the Snes version (A Link to the Past) and Wind Waker, and I never got very far in them, never really got into it.

Quote:

I remember right after Final Fantasy VII came out and the next day at school all my friends were like "OMG SO GUD!!11!!!" (Only my friends had better grammar. Probably.). And I sat there and said "Eh. It's decent."

I like most of the Final Fantasy series, and I wouldn't say FF7 is a bad game, it's just all the hype and 'OMG IS the BEST CLOUD ROXORZ YUR BOXORZ' fanboys. Now all the milking Sqaure is doing (5 sequels/prequels, now they have Final Fantasy 7: Snowboarding! Wow... :roll: ) Otherwise it's a decent game, but they hype and fanboys kill it.

For my unpopular opinions, I love Nippon Ichi games, my favourite video game company, no contest. It not just Digaea and Phantom Brave, I aldo love Rhapsody: A Muscial Adventure (The 'chick flick' video game version) I thought it was great, and video games definatly need more comical, unserious games like that.

Aslo I love the Koudelka/Shadow Hearts series, almost the opposite of Rhapsody, the dark, mature RPG. The RPG genre needs more of these. Also, everyone said Shadow Hearts: Covenant (SH2) was great and better then the first, when I played it, I was throughly disappointed at the lack of dark atmosphere the rest of the games had, and what made them so interesting.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1.Threads of Fate- I just don't know why, but this game is boring for me its corny.
2.Xenogears- I don't see this game fun, it has awful graphics for me
3.Final Fantasies- Its boring but other people love it!! Is it because of the drawings?
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of my all time favorite RPGs is one of PSM's top ten worst PS1 games of all time. It's Torneko: the Last Hope. Now, the fact that PSM doesn't like it hardly fazes me since that magazine is crappier than most and that's saying a lot. But it does proove that I may have slightly odd taste. The folks who made it (Chunsoft) just released a new RPG called Nightmere of Druaga, and that game has gotten incredibly bad reivews. Too bad they were comparing it to games like FInal Fantasy because it's quite a good game IF YOU ACTUALLY LIKE THAT SORT OF THING LIKE I DO.

You guys should all go play it :p
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually love just about every Final Fantasy I've ever played just because they are the type of games that I like. I'm not going to go into details. There is one Final Fantasy that I did not care for at all and that is Final Fantasy X. I've already spoken on this game before, (in this forum?? I don't recall) so I'll be as brief as possible.

I think I have the rarest opinion of the final fantasy fans when I say that.. it's even worse than X-2. Even with the "Charlie's Angels" -type crap they throw at you, it still has a better fighting system with three characters than a bunch of stupid side quests that are tedious and useless.
FFX took everything that I loved about characters in XI, XII, and XIII and made them stupid to make sure each had a part in the plot so that everyone could relate to at least one of them. The character's facial expressions were very realistic, but at the expense of poor dialogue and character realism. They took away the cool, calm and collected hero of old and replaced him with a whiney wuss of a soccer player. They took everything I hated about Zell and exponentially multiplied it until they had Wakka. The took all the uselessness of Red XIII and did the same until they had Kuhmari. Yuna is so simplistic and gullible and the fact that Auron is dead, well it FITS with the rest of the crap on that disc. They, basically, came out with two good characters: Rikku and Lulu.
Couple that with battle sequences that 'fake' real action, and a tedious and boring magic chart that wasn't difficult to figure out, but annoying to use and you have the garbage that is that game.
To top it all off, they used the worst story line I've ever heard of.. book or game. I've heard several arguments on how it has several characteristics that make it a great story. You can see the fight against religion or the conflict between a boy and his father.. or a love story..etc. Well, let's go ahead and pack in anything that anyone cares about and call it a good story. It just doesn't work that way. I seriously expected Tidus to wake up at the end and say something along the lines of "woah... it was only a dream" and that would've been the appropriate ending for a game that was so awful, that I'm afraid to buy any Final Fantasies anymore.

Everyone I know has FFX ranked among their top 3 FF games to own and play. I sadly have it ranked just below FFX-2 and FF1 at the bottom of my list.

Thanks for reading.
I hope you've learned something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: