Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Iran condemns Hollywood war epic (300)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Iran condemns Hollywood war epic (300) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Historical war epic 300 has been criticised as an attack on Iranian culture by government figures.

Full article: here

I still didn't watched the movie, I really want to. But since everyone is talking about this movie I decided to post this. So what you guys think?

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that Iran is trying to get attention, and they seem to be succeeding to an extent. No one should have written an article on this because no one should care what Iran thinks. They're going to complain about anything that says Iran, or in this case the Persians, isn't the greatest nation on earth. While the movie is hardly historically accurate, the end result was an asskicking dished out to the Persians, so if they wanna whine about their past ineptitudes, let them.

~Uguu!~
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Spoilers kind of: Do the Spartans still lose in the movie? I haven't seen it either, but I know the history behind it fairly well.[/spoilers]

I mean, I don't know what exactly they're trying to preserve historically. Pretty much everyone in the time were bastards. And from the Greek standpoint, the Persians WERE the Axis of evil. I mean, the Greeks only stopped killing each other long enough to kill Persians. And even then, it was more "Hah! We Athenians killed more Persians than you stupid Spartans! Neener!" or which either way a certain battle went.

I'd have to see the movie to really comment on it, but there's not a lot to be really historically proud of...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Really, this is just a ploy by the Iran government to keep themselves out in the forefront of attention. The story was based on history but it was stylized and told as an embellished tale by another Spartan. Sort of like Homer writing the Illiad and adding Gods, monsters and superhuman abilities to some of the characters. One thing that can't be disputed whether one watches the movie or reads the historical account of the Battle of Thermopylae that the movie was based on: The Persians got their ass kicked.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
One thing that can't be disputed whether one watches the movie or reads the historical account of the Battle of Thermopylae that the movie was based on: The Persians got their ass kicked.

Eh? Granted the Persians sustained heavy losses, but the Persians won that battle. 0.o

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Tullaryx wrote:
One thing that can't be disputed whether one watches the movie or reads the historical account of the Battle of Thermopylae that the movie was based on: The Persians got their ass kicked.

Eh? Granted the Persians sustained heavy losses, but the Persians won that battle. 0.o

Yeah, exactly...

What annoys me is how the Spartans seemed to be shown as War Gods or something, and every other Persian shown as some peasant who couldn't stab an elephant if it stood still for them. Then again the Iranian government likes to over react to just about everything nowadays to prove it won't take any flak from the "west".
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The guy's already reputed t obe paranoid and illogical, so I don't take much seriously from Iran anymore. I'm going to see 300 now, just to spite him. Seriously.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does ANYONE give ANY credibility to ANYTHING the Iranian government says or does anymore? Really?

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest, I really don't think the average American going to see this movie makes any connection what so ever between Persia and Iran. Even asking a person where Ancient Persia was located, they'd probably draw a blank.

So yes, the Iranian government is out to grab more attention, just like their Holocaust Conference stunt.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

And they were so demoralized due to the ass kicking they took in achieving that victory that they were beaten in the subsequent battles. Even though the Battle of Thermopylae was indeed a Persian victory, it also spelled their ultimate defeat. In fact, you could even say that the Spartans accomplished what they were supposed to do, and hence won, even though they were wiped out. They bought enough time for the bulk of Greek army to escape and reassemble thus allowing the Greeks to be prepare for the decisive naval battle at Salamis. So, I guess it all depends on how you look at it. The Spartans were wiped out there, but they took many more Persians with them.

~Uguu!~
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You have to understand how Ancient Greece worked. The Spartans got huge bragging rights for what they did. Sparta now gets to go "Neener Neener, Athens, Corinth and whoever else wasn't there, but we were! Nyah!"

The same thing happened ten years earlier with the Battle at Marathon. Athens got all the glory, and basically rubbed Sparta's face in it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is kind of redicilus, I too doubt that the majority of kids today even know that Persia changed it's name to Iran in 1935. Also when I saw the movie it never ever passed though my mind that Iran's ancestors are a bunch of tards so to speak.
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

an 80 to 1 kill ratio is still incredible. tallying up the numbers even with an approximate 2,000-5,000 rank force made up of arcadians and corinthians and whoever else volunteered, against a staggering 300,000-1.5m rank army it is still undeniable that the effects were not what they had hoped for. Essentially uniting all of persia's enemies by proving their weakness is not worth the killing of a handful of greeks.

Though to be honest I would have loved/hated it if Snyder had decided to go all Gangs of New York and pan out to the persian army and then have it phase into a flowing iranian flag. Then I can imagine it would warrant some hate, but it's kind of silly to think that portraying an ancient race (it's not like greece heralded the movie as brilliant and patriotic) is a reflection of current events.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, the Persians won that battle, but Leonidas and the Greek force in his command was never suppose to do more than hold up the Persian Army for as long as possible until the rest of the forces from all over the Aegean Peninsula could mobilize.

The stand the 300 Spartans (and 1000 or so Thespians who stayed) did may have been quixotic in the end since Xerxes Army finally surrounded them and wiped them out to the man, it did give the rest of Greece time to formulate a counterattack and also give Themostecles time to batter the Persian Navy.

So, despite losing at Thermopylae, Leonidas and his greatly outnumbered force did more than damage Persian morale. He also gave the Greek navy time to put the Persian navy into disarray and cut off any support from the sea. It also extended the Persian supply lines to the the point that supplies for the bulk of Xerxes army rarely made it in time to support the troops.

Leonidas and his small force's stand also galvanized the Greek force afterwards. It became their battle-cry. Just like the Alamo became the rallying cry for Texas and the U.S. force when they went to war against Santa Ana and the Mexico. So, despite still having more men than the rest of the Greeks, Xerxes and his army lost whatever psychological advantage it had with its numbers. The Spartans (and Thespians) showed that Greek tactics, equipment and training would trump superior numbers everytime. If 300 Spartans could inflict such heavy casualties on the Persian army then what would 9000+ do on territory well-known to the Greeks.

That's what I meant when I said the Persian's got their ass-kicked.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just saw the movie, and I really can't see how anyone could get upset over this. If its as historically accurate as it seems to be, then nobody has a right to complain... but then the Iranian president isn't exactly known for his prowess in history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: