Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

what is a hero.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see how the fact that Riou and Tir are "made" to follow through with the plot affects whether they are heroes or not. I mean, actual mythical heroes are the exact same--they are made to fulfill their roles.

Tir and Riou very much have the makings of a hero. For one thing, Tir is a son of an important figure, he also doesn't have a mother (many heroes have missing parents). He is befriended by a wandering true-rune bearer (suikoden equivalent of avatars roaming the earth), and receives the true-rune. Also, an oracle (Leknaat) proclaims his heroic destiny, just like many of the Greek heroes.
He is cursed by the very power that makes him immortal (well, sorta), and people close to him die. He must fight against his father, and he ends up killing him, just like many heroes (such as Oedipus). Then, after victory, instead of becoming a king, he simply disappears into obscurity, just like a gero (such as Jason of the Argonauts).

Riou has the makings of a hero due to the fact that he is the "son" of Genkaku, and because he receives the Bright Shield Rune, which had a mythical meaning in the Dunan Region. As Shu says, these were necessary to unite the fledgeling allied army--and he ended up being a hero. Somewhat manufactured, yes, but a hero neverthless.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the term hero honestly has been used so liberally that the word has changed drastically over it's classical meaning; it more or less is up to you what you consider a hero. I personally think that there are two kinds of heroes - "personal" heroes and "public" heroes.

Personal heroes are everyday people who do things that make great differences in people's lives for the better of the individual. Kid A in Pyroflame's example, for instance, probably feels that Kid B is a hero, though the people around Kids A and B probably don't see it that way. A teacher who reports a family for abuse when she sees one of the kids in her classroom being abused is a hero, at least to that kid. They don't really make a difference in society but to the people whose lives they have effected, they are heroes.

Public heroes, on the other hand, are heroes who do things that make great differences in people's lives that results in things changing for the better of the public. The Suikoden heroes fall more easily into this case. Tir McDohl is a hero because he ended the corruption of the Scarlet Moon Empire and set up a fairer republic in its place, through great courage and strength. Riou is a hero because he, too, stood up for what he saw was right and ended not only Luca's mad war, but also insured a more peaceful future of the citystates (who before him were a squabbling, fractured mass). Thomas is a hero because he brings life back to Budehuc and changes the lives of the people there for the better.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there might be no objective definition of a hero. To me, someone is considered a hero based on the point of view of others and not necessarily because that someone matched a text book or dictionary definition of a hero.

As mentioned, the terrorists are heroes to those who shared their point of view. But to most of the others, they aren't. But are they? The answers is like what it is. Yes, they are to some. No, they are not to some others. As simple as that.

But I agree with sybillious that there is a difference between act of heroism and act of kindness. Those two shouldn't be considered the same because heroism should be "above" kindness. Kindness could be as simple as buying a candy for a kid next door, and that's not heroism at all.

Heroism though, doesn't have to be that extreme either. You don't have to risk your life literally or be in a life and death situation IMO, but I think a hero should be someone who sacrifices something significant enough for others without hoping for something in return. Now the problem with my definition is that the term "something significant enough" is relative to everyone and cannot be the same.

The Boy A and B situation is a 50-50 situation IMO. If A wouldn't have any friend at all ever without B, then B could be considered as a hero (but probably strictly to boy A only and not to boy C -Z ). But if A still has other friends outside school, then B's action might not be significant enough to be considered as a hero even by boy A. But honestly, I lean more to that boy B isn't a hero because to me, things like that happened when you're in school. If A managed to survive school and college, then he would be facing a whole different situation where life might treat him in a more fair way. Hence, for me, the situation for Boy A at school wasn't significant enough to grant Boy B be called as a hero.

Probably the easiest way to reach an objective answer is to say that there are different and multiple types of heroes. Hence, Boy B could be a hero, while Firemen are heroes as well. It's just that they are different types of heroes.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion a hero is a person who has a strong will even stronger than steel it self. He is a person who is faithful to himself before being faithful to others. He seeks the truth and tries to accomplish it without any hesitation. He is confident about his judgments with no doubts in his heart. He considers other peoples ideas and feelings, and who loves to see other people's dreams come true. He is a person whose heart is as big as the sea that can contain the whole world within it.

He is a person who feel others pain and tries to ease it by anyway he can. He is someone who thinks that friends are above everything, someone who can be trusted with your life, one with a courageous heart that fears no one. He is a person who can stand against the whole world if he has to do it. He is one whose loyalty comes whithin his heart and goes to the one who deserve it. He is a person whose generosity has no limits, who thinks that giving the needy without expecting any benefit from doing it which is the right thing to do.

He is someone who does not use his wisdom and knowledge for his own benifit but for the benefit of others. One who can hold his patience in the hardest of times. He is the one who people look upon as their only ray of hope, someone that can be relied on, and that is all I can say about a hero.

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion a "hero" is just someone who acts in what they believe in. I guess by my thought someone "evil" could be a "hero." A person in their own mind could also be a "hero." Just like a rolemodel may be a "hero" to a little child.

Last edited by Edge Riou on Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A true hero is someone who doesn't care what others think of his actions, but goes out and doeswhat needs tobe done regardless. They may have no care for their own health and safety only those who are less fortunate. They have no ulterior motives but are pure of heart and mind.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"A true leader does not lead but is content to point the way"

sorry-favorite quote. Couldn't help throwing that in but anyway...

A hero, I think, is one whom helps others not for their own personal gain but to help the other person(I should probably say, 'person' or 'thing')

Though that simply seems like an act of kindness. A hero performs many acts of kindness do they not? It is not surprising that the definition of a hero has since evolved to something similar to 'one who has done many kind acts often involving perilous life-threatening situations' or the like.

Everyone is a hero, but saying that lowers the value of the word. It means and is accociated to the meaning it has today because people have come to associate it with dangerous acts, and the like. Though truthfully the word is so well known yet mysterious at the same time. Similarily like the words 'Fate' and 'Destiny'

Everyone is a hero in someone's eyes and at the same time not...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think ( a hero ) is someone you can trust with your life ,
and he is the helpful hand you need to get past danger .

he is someone to be proud of , well.... like every hero in a RPG .
Goodspeed87

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kiba and Ridley are heroes, look at their actions... their sacrifice, a hero defines someone who gives up selfish ambition for the good of mankind... imho, Shout Outs to Kiba and Ridley :cry: :!:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion a hero is someone who follows the path he believes in no matter what.Short but thats my idea of hero.

Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me, a hero is anyone who sacrifices their time or luxury solely for the benefit of others. Yes, this is a very broad definition, but the word "hero," as this very topic shows, is an immensely broad term.

This definition does not include doctors, firemen, etc., by definition. That is because these people receive payment for their services. If all doctors are considered heros, then so CEOs must also be. Why? Their activities improve the quality of life for many and the commerce they create makes the country as a whole richer. However, they cannot be considered heros because they usually act out of greed. It is thus the intention that, for me, determines heroism. Doctors can be considered heros if they work harder, if they go the extra mile for the benefit of the patient. Again, it's the intention, or the "thought," of the action that counts.
Zephron

Flying Moon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From the Greek cognate ἣρως, in mythology and folklore, a hero (male) or heroine (female) is an eminent character archetype that quintessentially embodies key traits valued by its originating culture. The hero commonly possesses superhuman capabilities or idealized character traits which enable him or her to perform extraordinary, beneficial deeds (i.e., a "heroic deed") for which he or she is famous

A person normally becomes courageous by performing an extraordinary and praiseworthy deed. A hero normally fulfills the definitions of what is considered good and noble in the originating culture. However, in literature, particularly in tragedy, the hero may also have serious flaws which lead to a downfall, e.g. Hamlet. Such heroes are often referred to as tragic heroes.

Sometimes a person might achieve enough status to become courageous in people's minds. This is usually complemented by a rapid growth of myths around the person in question, often attributing to him or her powers beyond those of ordinary people.

Some social commentators prescribe the need for heroes in times of social upheaval or national self-doubt, seeing a requirement for virtuous role models, especially for the young. Such myth-making may have worked better in the past: current trends may confuse heroes and their hero-worship with the cult of mere celebrity.

Thus, if Riou, Tir, Lazlo, and any other main character of Suikoden fufills these, i think they deserve the title.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are good explanations, what a hero is and why society sometimes need such a person, but the real mistery is, what make a hero for himself, what causes someone to become a hero? A person who does more than he is asked for... That's nice, but I can't imagine someone's thinking "okay, somebody need me here? I have got free time now, so please ask me. I will give advice and help." And I can't imagine someone is doing more than asked for, more than expected too, because he feels the inner need to do it. I think I really understand the need for heroes, but I don't understand the heroes themselves. The man, running in a burning house in order to rescue a child, is he insane? Does he think about himself as a hero? Does he want to become one by doing such a "heroic act" or doesn't he think at all? Is heroismus nothing more than a particular disfunction of someones brain activity?

The Fool
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Sophita that there are personal heroes and public heroes. The greatness of their deed determines the recognition they receive.

And Camus the Noble, thank you for bringing up that point. Firemen, police officers, and doctors are not heroes. Personal heroes for sure, but not grand heroes that the masses rejoice at. It's their job. They receive training and compensation for the actions they perform. They are courageous, and perform a noble service, but they are not heroes. They put themselves into dangerous situations, they seek them out. Heroes don't.

As for what I think makes a hero... I think heroes are nothing more than your average joes that find themselves trapped in situations. They have a limited amount of choices that are forced on them and they make the best of it. I think this applies to what Kobold was saying about game heroes being manufactured. In games, the heroes don't really have a choice BUT to lead their respective causes. They are trapped into those situations, but they go ahead, make what choices they can and make the best of it. The same applies to real life heroes.

How many times have you done a group project where you know what needs to be done but you waited for someone else to speak up and take charge, only nobody steps forward so at the last minute you find yourself at the helm directing? I think the same process happens in the making of heroes but on a much grander and usually more dire scale. Anyways, I digress...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: