Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Color Coordinated Five
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Color Coordinated Five Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was thinking about how Suikoden also has another staple that some people don't mention: the inclusion of five characters that look very close to each other, but are distinguished by the color they wear. I'll shorten this to the Color Coordinated Five for posting purposes.

The CCFs make things a little more interesting with recruiting, whether they're mandatory to the Stars list (I and IV) or not (II and III).

In I, Konami did kind of botch the hammer system by using five different blacksmiths, but it was the first Suikoden they made, so it didn't bother me. You have to give credit to the M__e five for starting the CCF tradition in Suikoden.

The M_kum_ku five drives me nuts in terms of recruiting, except for Mukumuku where I just go up to the tree in Kyaro. So far I've gotten Makumaku and Mikumiku, but I haven't gotten the others. No, this isn't a beg for help: I'll find out on my own, though tips would be appreciated. :D But I guess the recruiting method adds to II's success because while the other four squirrels are optional, they're also the most time consuming, which a good RPG should have.

The Ko/Co_ five were much more easier to recruit than the M_kum_ku five, although it took me a bit to figure out that I could only get the dogs later instead of earlier. And man, it was a b***h to find Kogoro! I only found him because there was something weird sticking out for a fraction of a second behind a ruin. Still, it was kind of cute to play as Koroku and see things from a dog's prespective, if just for laughs.

The five in IV are below. Highlight for more.

Konami really botched this tradition with the Lil_n sisters. Yes, they're mandatory stars like the blacksmiths in I, but for cripes sake, do you seriously need FIVE characters to do the SAME EXACT task!? I mean, really, all five mermaids open up the accessory atelier and offer you the same exact services, regardless of which mermaid you speak to. That was ridiculous. At least have one of them be a fighting character, like Liloon. She looked like she had potential to fin her enemies to death.

When I first met Lilin, I thought she would be like the love interest for Hero IV, but that quickly fell apart once she started begging the exiled group to save Chiepoo. Wow... talk about speedy monotone creepiness. I can vouch for her being good at reading Dr. Seuss books, at least. Plus she leaves Hero IV some nice freebies.

If I were in charge of inventing the CCFs for the fifth game, I'd make them like scouts whom you give a specific location to search for treasure while you continue with the story or do other things. After a certain amount of time, they come back and give you the items they found, and you send them out again. Depending upon their levels and where you make them look, they'll bring back some nice stuff. Of course to recruit each one, you'd have to look for a specific item and bring it back to them as proof of your treasure hunting skills.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Color Coordinated Five Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit149 wrote:
So far I've gotten Makumaku and Mikumiku, but I haven't gotten the others. No, this isn't a beg for help: I'll find out on my own, though tips would be appreciated.

Tips would include they are each on a different road ,with the exception of the last, and just stand still until you get them.

I don't think that gives anything away for you. If it did...Oops.

:)

I like the Quints too. That's what I always call them, or the vowel quints.

I always thought it was rather strange having all those blacksmiths, I mean heck Maas is pretty much useless throughout the entire game. I usually take pity on him and use him to attach rune pieces. (I know i'm strange)

The squirrels were better since they were not stars except for the first one. I liked the extra character option, First few times I played I never got the last squirrel, now I can't bring myself to not get them all.

The dogs were fine a little unoriginal but fine, but the

Spoiler: Mermaids were just a little rediculous like you say, I thought at first that each one might have different accessories avaliable eventually but nope. Still they were not all that bad, easy to recruit IMO, but I thought all the mermaids were stars?

Can't wait to see what/who will be Quints in Suikoden V, I don't even want to speculate since more than likely I would be totally off.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i don't mean to burst your bubble Benit, but this has been mentioned before, a topic about the CCF, as you put it so eloquently.Well, it was more on what they specualted should be the next theme of the five characters. Yes, monkeys was suggested. But no one has the right to blame you, since it's been so long since it showed up. So i'll give a little contribution.

your idea, Benit, on the scouting CCFs would have to be an excellent idea for a Suikoden sidequest. Let's hope the developers of Suikoden V catches on to this. I'm serious, i'm not patronizing you or anything. :)

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*scratches her head* There was a topic like that? It's must've been long before I came here, then. Well next time I'll double-check. But I'm hoping that Konami will make the quints more useful in the next installment.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I liked the blacksmiths. Getting the last one was the most fun because you had to have all of the others with you. That was such a weird looking party, Tir and a bunch of guys in different colored unifroms.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought it was more fun to have the Quint characters actually do something else besides joining up as fighting characters and end up at the bottom of the list stat-wise anyway. At least the dogs were recognised as Budehuc guards (and you get to talk to them in a secret POV). The squirrels, besides the compulsory Mukumuku, often don't get enough recognition (and most people don't exactly recruit the extra ones because, well, they are unimportant non-stars).

Though, it could have been better. Say, the mermaids could have had personal lists which would only be incrementally added to the general pool of available accessories if you recruit them. That would make each of them somewhat significant.

I'm all for making the Quints as mainstays on the Stone Tablet. I personally have only bothered recruiting all five of those stupid squirrels once.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aww... I have only played suikoden one and suikoden two... I don't know about these dogs that you speak of :cry: oh well...

suikoden one- the five blacksmiths weren't used by me a lot... but I did however train them right at the end, I think I gave most of them a fortune crystal and levelled them all up, well, I do not like the way you get the final blacksmith, but I do however, like their unite attacks, strong... especially when the have levelled up hehehe... I don't mind recruiting these five, they are easy, and they are useful... though I wonder, why do you have tp still pay FULL price when they are working for you? :? can't it at least be half price? I am tired of playing chinchirorin too much hahaha...

Suikoden two- the squirrels were annoying to recruit, I did get tips and all that from game sites such as gamefaqs... but they didn't help that much... hmph, it doesn't matter, because ni the end I got the annoying creatures, time consuming yes, but well worth it... well not that I use them or anything, but knowing that you have them is a good thing hehehe...

JNX out
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should get III and IV JNX. III is the better though.

Regarding the 5 in Sui IV:

These mermaids were really dumb and it would be really hard to recruit them without help. I had to use a guide to get the one you fish up. I agree that it was dumb that they all made the SAME accesories. I also thought that they would do different things.

The dogs were cute, but horrible in battle. I liked recruiting them though.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it's not like I don't want them my friend... but I don't want to buy a new playstation two or anything, I think I might get the games if or when I get my playstation three...

I have seen the dogs and the designs aren't that bad...

JNX out
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you may want to reconsider that; some game review shows have hinted that the psIII may not play psI/II games, making that idea pointless.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was OT. :D

Have you ever seen the Dog's Unite Attack?

It's the sheer pinnacle of ridiculousness. It's entertaining, at least. The dogs stats do suck, but they can be built up.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sybillious wrote:
you may want to reconsider that; some game review shows have hinted that the psIII may not play psI/II games, making that idea pointless.

Hinted you say? yeah... I know about this but it's just a possibility anyway... with the percentage of around sixty saying that it won't have backwards compatibility... im scared hahaha...

JNX out
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was at the doctor the other day(teusday i believe) and was reading PSM in the waiting room. It had pictures of the PS3 and it gave some details as to the new features. Heres a little of what I gathered about it:
-Four controllers(hallelujah) and their wireless
-Jacks for two old controllers(so yes, controllers if nothing else will be backward compatible)
-Same size and general shape as PS2(less boxy more smooth edges)
-Uses the monthly light system from the PSP(don't have a PSP but if you do than you know what this is hopefully; Dont think this is more than decorative but still cool)
-No more disk tray. Replaced with slightly submerged disk slot.
-A reset and a standby button sperate (I didnt mind it but maybe someone out there did. I think this was, but my memory is hazy and i dont go back to the doctor til two weekd from now)
-I think its blue-ish(Again memory is hazy)
-Logo is very similar to the PS2(thin blue linear font) but says PS3

It was written that it might be seen as early as the end of March in Japan. I don't know if this helps at all but I thought I'd share with everbody. All clues point that it will have Backward Compatibility. Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Whoa... PS3?!

Must see... Must see... Must see.... *Bleeds*

Well, I certainly hope that the PS3 would be able to play the older games or at the least be able to play PS2 games. I'd hate to have to unpack the PS2 and hook it up everytime I want to play Final Fantasy X-2 or something. I only have one TV in this room so it would be VERY troublesome if I had to go through the whole process. Not to mention that this TV has its A/V sockets in the back!

Anyway, about the CCF... I haven't tried to get all the dogs yet in SIII. Mostly because my memory card went mssing. :cry:
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I noticed one thing during my recruiting the five squirrels. I go to put Runes on them, and it seems that the squirrels can only use a specific element Rune, and that element alone. For instance, Mukumuku has a Fire Rune, but when I tried to put it on Makumaku, it wouldn't work. However, a Water Rune could be put on Makumaku, but not on Mukumuku.

I just got Mikumiku, so I'm going to try and see if this theory is correct. I'm assuming the element and their squirrel would go as follows:

Fire: Mukumuku (red)
Water: Makumaku (blue)
Earth: Mokumoku (yellow)
Wind: Mekumeku (green)
Thunder: Mikumiku (pink/misc.)

It's just a guess right now, but I'm going to prove this once I have all five squirrels. I may even go investigate with the dogs and see if this is true.

EDIT: The part about the squirrels having one element each is true, but the element guesses for Miku and Meku were wrong. It actually goes as follows:

Fire: Mukumuku (red)
Water: Makumaku (blue)
Earth: Mokumoku (yellow)
Wind: Mikumiku (pink)
Thunder: Mekumeku (green)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: