Suikoden United and Irrational Kibbutz Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Another superhero is "killed off"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Another superhero is "killed off" Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually had this topic elsewhere but I think it's important enough to let everyone know about. I am especially dying to hear the opinions of comic book fans.

To generate some general discussion, I should mention this wouldn’t be the first time this happens. I put "killed" in quotes, because in comics, the death of a character never seems to be permanent, and if the character was popular enough, the publishers will figure out (or are sometimes forced) to bring that said character back to life. The biggest example I can think of is Superman.

I won’t mention who is killed just in case this is going to be a spoiler for comic book fans. I won’t even say whether it is Marvel or DC. At any rate, here is the link. The shortcut contains the name of the hero, so be careful.

Extreme spoiler warning:
Article by CNN

This hero has been a symbol for a very long time, and I am surprised to hear that this is going to happen. The reasoning for it doesn't do the character justice in my opinion.

Well, what does everyone think about this? Are you all o.k. when characters in comic books are killed off? And how about the manner? I mean these guys fight aliens, and other extraordinary forces. Yet what happens when they die by something so . . . simple (I use that term loosely of course) And then there's the question: "Does killing off a character ruin or solidify the image they portray". And what if they're brought back to life; does that besmirch their reputation?

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow, that is pretty, trippy stuff! well, looks as if they have reason.

as for your question I'm not sure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I lol'd at the irony.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RIP Captain America 1941-2007.

My theory on who killed Cap. A is a terrorist. Who the hell would shoot a guy with a name that has America in it besides a terrorist?

This is a sad day, in America.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They've already identified who orchestrated it, and who actually fired. It was a staple in his series.

I predict this death will probably last about 6 months, a year at the most, before they bring him back. Comic book deaths and all that.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's quite appropriate that Captain America died the way he did and who was the cause of it. Those two have been fighting it out since World War II. As for him returning to life I won't doubt that. But Marvel's been better about giving a character they kill off time away from the comic industry before bringing them back.

Unlike Superman's death which lasted exactly just one year I think Steve Rogers will remain dead for years. I do see mantle of Captain America being picked up by another character a little sooner. Just to put a weird touch on that kind of event I wouldn't put it past the current writer of Captain America (Ed Brubaker) to keep Steve Rogers dead but bring in someone like homicidal vigilante Frank Castle aka The Punisher to take the costume and shield to get Captain America back in the limelight. A Captain America that actually doesn't mind killing villains and criminals.

It is either The Punisher becomes the new Captain America or Bucky aka Winter Soldier takes up the mantle. It'd be fun to see The Punisher as the new Captain America but I think Bucky becoming the new one falls in line more with the storyline Ed Brubaker has set-up since he re-launched the Captain America title for a fifth time. Either way, Love Live Cap'n America!

Scar's Scourge

24083 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You an the Cap'n make it happen.......

*cries*
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the deaths would have more meaning if they were permanent. If they're going to kill off a character, they should never come back. I mean, if the only creative track you can come up with for a character is to kill them off, then perhaps they're better off remaining gone for all eternity.

Now, kill off Spiderman. I really don't like Spiderman.

~Uguu!~
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Comic book character deaths are really iffy. We'll see in some issue down the line some mad scientist or a US group of activists bring him back to life.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was never a huge fan of Cap America, but at least he was one of the very first superheroes I was aware of.
As many people has already mentioned, Death lost its meaning within the comic book universe and being killed was like being on vacation latly. I am glad they decided to make it a permanent death, because everything else would be really...disappointing. I am not sure whether the idea and costume should stay in the closet, but I guess some day another Cap will come who is more adequate for the modern timess...

The Fool
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Ronin is going to be a member of the reformed Avengers, and since the person who was in the Ronin suit is now on her own as Echo, that leaves the question of "Who is going to be the new Ronin?" I have heard a lot of people talking (including Wizard magazine), saying that Cap will be the new Ronin.

Maybe he set the whole thing up to fake his death so he can go underground as Ronin?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't understand why people should even be sick and tired of comic book deaths not being permanent. This is common practice in the comic book industry since the before the Silver Age of the 1960's. Usually characters killed off return because new writers want to work and write about that character.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't see the original Captain America (Steve Rogers) coming back to life anytime soon but I do see someone else within Marvel-616 continuity taking up the role. Whether it's Bucky or The Punisher or someone, even that won't happen for at a minimum of 6-12 months.

EDIT: One of the better writers working in comics right now sounds off on why he killed Captain America and why it was the only logical conclusion to their massive Civil-War storyline.

Ed Brubaker sounds off on Captain America's Death

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have an inkling that it will be Frank Castle that takes the helm as Captain American, but only for a brief point of time. He really respected and looked up to Rogers, even though he never followed his practices. You can see this when Capn kicks the tar out of Castle, and he doesn't do anything about it.

He then picks up Captain America's facemask. I think it would be cool to see Castle as Captain America for a while.

I still do not really get the support everyone at Marvel gave Brubaker to kill off Rogers, since there is a Captain America movie in the works as we speak. It just doesn't make too much sense to me.

I want to see a return of U.S. Agent!

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It doesn't make sense if you put it that way, but production on the Captain America is still far-off. In fact, this news of his death in the comics should bring more attention to the character and give the film's development more steam into actually going production level.

As for Brubaker being given more leeway to kill off Steve Rogers, I think it works well within the context of what just occurred in Civil War. That whole superhero vs superhero fight pretty much led to the US sacrificing personal freedoms for more security with Tony Stark's Pro-Superhuman Registration faction winning the war. Who else but Captain America best symbolized the protecting the personal rights of the nation than him. Plus, since Brubaker took over the writing duties and restarted the title he's always been making Cap less a symbol of imperialism and more the long-gone idealism that was the US when he first took up the Shield in WW2.

With this death I see quite a bit of interesting reactions from the major characters in Marvel Universe. The biggest reaction to be mined would be Tony Stark's. He and Cap pretty much beat each other down during the Civil War arc and their friendship shattered, but I still think Stark may be hit hard by this event. Then there's Bucky and The Punisher's reaction. Two heroes who looked up to Steve Rogers and who may take up the torch left behind in contrating ways.

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe I am a bit far behind as I thought I was,
as it is rare for me to pick up a comic these days,
though I still keep current with storylines as best I can;
but isn't Bucky a "bad guy" at the moment?
A bad guy that doesn't like Captain America?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: