Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Season 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I heard on ESPN from Mort who's _always_ right on things of this nature :unsure: that McNabb is staying in philly. Maybe you should look at getting Garcia back. Rekindle that old (very old) flame. Cleveland is looking to keep both Anderson and Quinn... but I'm sure you could pry one out for a cost.

In the end though, it doesn't matter what they do... What'd they sign him, 50 million, half as bonus? Too much money tied up there for at least another 2-3 years.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I think I heard on ESPN from Mort who's _always_ right on things of this nature that McNabb is staying in philly. Maybe you should look at getting Garcia back. Rekindle that old (very old) flame. Cleveland is looking to keep both Anderson and Quinn... but I'm sure you could pry one out for a cost.

As a Cowboys fan I can only hope the Eagles are stupid enough to let McNabb go.

In Cleveland, there's no way Quinn is going anywhere. Anderson is RFA, so unless Cleveland franchises him than its possible for him to go elsewhere. But, if they put the maximum tender on him than any team who signs him would have to give the Browns a 1st and a 3rd, and that's what I'd expect the Browns to do. I can't see them laying the franchise tag on someone when they already have another quarterback locked into a fairy expensive long term deal. The 1st round tender would pretty much guarantee that the Browns would have Anderson for one more year, unless some team was really desperate. The other option is of course to franchise him and than try to deal him, since they have the cap room to may him franchise QB money for next season if they need to. After all, Romeo Crennel did say this:

Quote:
"If anybody is interested in him, we'll just have to see how it goes," coach Romeo Crennel said. "Sometimes people can make you an offer and you can say, 'No, I think I'm going to stay with what I got.' Sometimes they make you an offer and you say, 'Oooohhh.' "

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin wrote:
As a Cowboys fan I can only hope the Eagles are stupid enough to let McNabb go.

As a Cowboys fan I'd be worried about this stuff a lot

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Romo has doomed himself and his team! Now we'll have to put up with the Giants winning. Romo has to learn that he's not Tom Brady. Only Brady can have a hot girlfriend and not be cursed because of it. Because he's that kind of awesome.

On to the playoffs though, I find it funny that so many people are making a big deal about San Diego winning that playoff game. They act like Norv Turner has accomplished something. In fact, the Chargers would have to beat Indianapolis to prove that they've actually improved upon last year. Last year they had a first round bye under Marty Schottenheimer, so they didn't have to play in the wild card game. If they lose this week, then they're in the exact same position they were last year, and so logically that should mean that Norv Turner will be fired. Of course he won't be, since it was foolish to fire Marty, and it would be foolish to fire Norv, but logic hasn't often applied to the Chargers. Yeah LaDanian, did you ask your buddy Shawne Merriman if he believed in the philosophy of "If you're not cheating, you're not trying"? Of course you haven't, because your legs haven't been ripped off and shoved up your nose. Hypocrite.

~Uguu!~
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there's a legitimate question about Romo and his girlfriend in their trip to Cancun. Having her attend a game is one thing, but taking a weekend off to bask in the sun a week before a playoff game? The article is right in that maybe he should keep more focus on the upcoming game. Losing to the Eagles at home after your division is already clinched is one thing. Getting beat by the Giants in the divisional round is quite another.

I am the exact opposite of a Cowboys fan though, so I couldn't be happier about the news.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All I really want to say after a weekend of football is:

1. The Bucs overachieved: Considering the injuries and the general inexperience of a lot of their players, nobody really had high expectations for the team, especially after Caddy went down, Garcia hurt his back, etc etc etc. That, and Gruden was so on the clock this year. IMHO, he still is, and if they let him go tomorrow, I will do nothing but lead his goodbye parade out of town.

2. The Redskins found new ways to break my heart by not playing 60 minutes of football. Generally, when you talk about teams being unable to play 60 minutes of football, you're referring to the fact that a team has the inability to close out another team and win the game.

But oh, hohoho, kids. Not the Redskins. Some games, they would just sleep through the first quarter or even first half of a game and then fight like hell to catch up and try to win the game from behind only to LOSE in the final minutes or even SECONDS of a game. I homered for the Redskins every game this season, and it would choke me up that I had to watch them come so close, and yet so far week after week. Granted, after Sean Taylor, they pulled it together and won 4 in a row, but against the Seahawks [which admittedly was the better team from the get-go] they were the heartbreaking Redskins. In all honesty [and not just being a homer] I'm more optimistic about the Redskins than I am about the Bucs, but that optimism is slightly diminished by the fact that Joe Gibbs isn't coming back for the last season of his contract.

Screw it. Go Suge Belichick, go.

Oh, and lastly: I saw an NFL Films special about Doug Flutie. Good stuff.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, Gibbs calling it quits brings up an interesting search now. Right now, we just have the obvious names. Gregg Williams and Al Saunders, seeing as they are current staff and have a good rapport with the players, have to be considered the front runners. But, and I imagine that nearly every coaching vacancy will tout this name out, Bill Cowher is also being mentioned. As I said, that'll probably happen with half the coaching vacancies that are out there, but you'd have to think that the Redskins job would be the most attractive for Cowher of the bunch since you have a team that even if they did overachieve to get there, were a playoff team. I don't think Cowher would come back to try and rebuild a loser into a winner, but he might be willing to come back to a team that with a little tweaking and a few new players, could be a legitimate threat next year.

So, Geddoe, as the resident fan of the Redskins, who are you hoping to see lead your team next year?

~Uguu!~
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Geddoe completely. The Buccaneers overacheived completely. A lot of their success can be credited to the poor seasons the rest of the NFC South had. New Orleans' fall from grace, Altanta's Vick debotchery and Carolina just not stepping it up, yet again all contributed to the so called success of Tampa Bay. Jon Gruden may have been on the hot seat there, I guess I don't know since that wasn't public knowledge really (i.e. It wasn't said on ESPN. I'm sure Mort would have mentioned it at some point in his NFL Live spots.). I would say though, that for the time being, his job is safe. I mean, despite the overachievement of the Bucs this season, they DID get the division championship. I seldom see a team fire their head coach after a division winning season. Heck even some teams won't fire a coach after a season like Miami had, although Cam Cameron is out of a job now, but I believe thats more thanks to the hiring of Bill Parcells than the uselessness of Cameron.

On the issue of the Redskins, I felt that it was a good time for Joe Gibbs to depart. Its never a fun thing to see an old favorite coach go, especially after the history they made with their franchise. In the 2 stints he had in the DC area with the Skins, he led them to three superbowls and pretty much put them on the map as an NFL franchise. I remember the year they beat the Buffalo Bills. It was their 2nd of the 4 consecutive Superbowls and they just ran away with the game in the second half. I remember them hoisting Joe Gibbs up on thier shoulders and pouring Gatorade on him, it was through teary eyes. Joe was a damn good coach. Seriously, I honestly don't think this year's Redskin team was a really good team. But, Joe Gibbs managed to rally the troops, connect with his players, like he always does, and get the job done. Even struggling through the loss of Sean Taylor, they found a way to keep it together, and had it not been a mental error by Gibbs, they'd have won 5 straight to end the season, potentially. I do think Lindell would have made the long field goal had Gibbs not called the second time out. I wish Joe Gibbs luck in the future and I hope he enjoys doing what he loves and spends a lot of time with his family. He's one of my favorite owners in the NASCAR circuit (Yeah, I'm a closet NASCAR fan) and I wish him all the success in the world there.

Now the Redskins have to move on without their Head Coach. I personally feel that Gregg Williams is a tool, but thats because he didn't do a damn thing for Buffalo when he coached here. I could be misthinking and maybe he did lead us to one playoff game or something. But still, he's an ex-Bills coach and I thin k he's best suited in the position he's in now. I think Al Saunders is the way to go. But thats sort of a personal vendetta more than anything. Because of these rules, they can't just up and say who their new coach is, they have to interview people who aren't going to get the job, which makes no sense to me and is a waste of time and money for the coaches who interview for the job with 0% chance of getting it. I understand why, and I'm all for the hiring of more black coaches, but only if they're the most qualified and fit the team's scheme. The Redskins pretty much know who they want, why can't they just up and say it? I also think that bringing Bill Cowher would be a big mistake. The offense is set the way they are now and if you bring in a coach like Cowher or Schotteneimer, they'll have to re-tool the offense for their style and that will lead to more rebuilding and less actual progression. Moreso with Marty Schottenheimer than Bill Cowher, but it would still need to be done. If they promote from within, they won't need to make more changes than what they're scheme needs now. I don't think any of their stars are going to Free Agency this year and there's some good names out there that they can pick up. Santana Moss is a good wide receiver but he needs someone more than Randle-El to back him up. I think going after Larry Fitzgerald would really help out Jason Campbell. With another good threat in the passing lanes, it will open up the running game for Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts. Actually, I think Ladell Betts might be a free agent this year, and be heading elsewhere. We'll see.

I love following the free agency market and seeing who goes where and for how much. Last year was pretty brutal on the Bills. We lost Nate Clements to the 49ers, and that was worth every penny wasn't it San Fran fans? We lost London Fletcher to the Redskins and Takeo Spikes to the Eagles, and the guy we were supposed to get in return for him decided he didn't want to play for us and went and played for the Bears instead. I'm not sure how that stunt was legal, but they pulled it off. The Eagles basically got Takeo from us for free. Maybe we got like a 4th round pick as compensation, la de fricking da. I'm keeping my eye on Cleveland. I really want to know what goes on with Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. They took Quinn last year because they had no QB worth their time, or so they thought. Then Derek Anderson stepped up and showed his stuff and now they've got a conundrum. Keep the hot QB who almost led you to the playoffs or go with the guy you drafted and are paying more than your starter to ride the bench? Quinn played a few reps in the final game of the season, but I don't think the Browns should throw in the towel on Anderson. He works well with them. That team will be great next year if they keep the same players and make some slight improvements. I think they can deal Quinn out to Miami or San Francisco or whomever for whatever they can get for him. Then use those draft picks or players to improve themselves. I can see them being a powerful team next year, if the Colts or Patriots have a bad offseason.

Oh, and Geddoe. I ate boxes upon boxes of Flutie Flakes. He's a legend here in Buffalo.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I'm in a pretty bored, so I felt I'd use this time to vent about my team. I'm a HUGE Oakland Raiders fan. Even though I live on the east coast, the Raiders were the first team I ever saw play on TV. (back in the Bo Jackson, Howie Long, Marcus Aleen, Tim Brown Days). So you might have guessed, the last few years have been a complete dissapointment to me. This year was no exception.

Or most obvious problem was with our QBs. Russell's hold out forced us to resolve to desperate measures AKA, Dante Cullpepper. And not surprisingly, he didn't work out well, forcing a mediocre, and newly aquired Josh McCown to be our starter. It still looks like Russell is our future. At this point I see him either being great, or a complete flop. HIS future will definitely rely on our offensive line.

Our O-line has been abismal the last few years. Arguably the worst in the NFL. We did some major changes this year, and there definitely seemed to be some improvement. Picking up Jeremy Newberry in the off season was huge and finally realizing that Robert Gallery is possibly one of the biggest wastes of a first round pick and moving him to guard, did wonders. I'm sort of hoping we take Jake Long in the draft. He seems to be by far the best O tackle in the draft. The only other player I'm torn between is Glenn Dorsey.

Our defense last year was top notch. A really complete, all around defense. Unfortunately we lacked severely in run stopping this year. Warren Sapp lost 50 lbs. and our d tackles were just not getting it done. The worst part is that we have and extremely good, and young linebacking core in Thomas Howard and Kirk Morrison. But you know what happens if your d-tackles don't get it done, the linebackers suffer against the run. Now that Sapp has retired, Dorsey is looking like an amazing fit. A lot of Raiders fans don't agree with me..

Theres speculation that Darren McFadden could fall to the Raiders pick. He is by far the best athlete in the draft so the option of picking him up, I can't argue, is tempting. However..with the coming out of Justin Fargas this year, the Raiders look like they have a pretty decent back. Not to mention, we drafted Michael Bush in the 4th round of last years draft. For those who don't remember him, he was predicted to be one of, if not the best back in college football last year before his knee injury. Apparently Kiffin was extremely impressed with him and was all to happy to keep him on the team. I'm predicting Fargas and Bush will be a great 1-2 punch for the Raiders in the future, so I can't really see them drafting McFadden.

I know this is going to sound like a cliche hardcore fan, but I feel the Raiders have the most potential of any of the "bad" teams in the NFL. They're the "best worst team." 7 of our losses came by teams only beating us by 7 or less points. Two of our others losses would have fit in that category as well if it weren't for failed drives in the end of the games and the other team running up the score (interceptions). We were pretty much in every single game and just couldn't pull it out in the end. So with a few smart draft picks, maybe attempt to pick up a strong receiver in the off season..I'm hoping to see a bright future.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, almost 5 days late... but I completely forgot about this. This is from 2 years ago

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow. Apparently the people of Indianapolis feel pretty strongly about Peyton Manning's ability to choke in the playoffs.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seeing Indy choke away a game they should've won was quite satisfying. Actually, when one look at that Indy game and the Pats game a Jags upset of the Pats was more likely than of the Chargers upsetting the Colts. I never bought into the fallacy that the Colts is this great, white-hat, we're the good guys team. Like SSF, I'm actually glad the Pats stopped trying to be the good guys and just embraced the darkside, so to speak.

I always saw professional sports as something where winning is everything and anyone who doesn't believe that must be used to losing. Everytime the Colts had an early exit in the playoffs under Manning they always whined, bitched and moaned and complained. Hell, Manning has made it an artform to blame everyone else but himself whenever a playoff loss sends him and his team home for the playoffs.

Really, if it wasn't for Dungy being the coach I think more people would hate the Colts more. And for a team which led the league in defense and also had the Defensive Player of the Year they sure laid one huge turd of a defensive gameplan. Who ended up beating them? Not Rivers, or Tomlinson or Gates. It was Volek, Vincent Jackson and some dude who was drafted out of Boise State. That is just disgraceful and all the postgame needed was a T.O. moment from some of the Colts. "Not fair!"

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All this hype Wes Welker gets... it's annoying. Do you guys feel he deserves it? If product of the system or environment ever applied to a wide receiver, he should be it.

He runs underneath routes against line backers... whoop dee dooo. He gets YAC (so does the entire GB wr corps). He can run a slant with the best of them...

He has Donte Stallworth and Randy Moss to play with. Both Stallworth and Moss can stretch the field like crazy. Moss requires double teams, chucks, jams and anything else you can get. You flare your OLBs out to protect against Moss and Welker runs underneath. Have you ever seen the safeties play a robber on NE which would stop Wes Welker. Of course not... safeties need to play deep. That 3 yard curl he runs on linebackers? Please, a linebacker covering a slot receiver is a mismatch generated by the receiving TEs and WRs. Scheme!!

I will give him respect in that he catches the ball when it's thrown to him. There are some NFL Wrs that can't do that... but come on... the media are on this guy's jock like he's the second coming.

Come on sports media... the guy is lucky he plays on the pats.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, he's certainly a product of the system. But, while I'm not going to hang on him like the media tends to, I will say this, going over the middle of the field like that all the time takes guts. When a receiver gets lit up, it's not on the fade route, or the sideline passes, it's typically on that crossing route over the middle.

So, I don't think he deserves as much as he gets, because he wouldn't have had nearly the season he's had if he didn't have Moss and Stallworth taking a lot of coverage off him, or if he didn't have the living god Tom Brady throwing him the ball, but he is a good wide receiver, far better than most of the jokers Sir Brady had to work with in the past. Anyone who's not the media recognizes that without Moss especially always taking two, sometimes three guys with him that Welker wouldn't be nearly as productive as he is now, but he's still a pretty good receiver.

~Uguu!~
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he's a good reciever, but in the same way Troy Brown or Ricky Proehl were good all those years. He's a great third option who will catch the football when its thrown to him, but if he were the number 1, he wouldn't do nearly as well. He benefits from the great reciever corps NE has, and to his credit, when he has the ball, he can usually get upfield a few yards with it before going down. But, I also think he can be taken out of the game quite easily. Its just with Moss and Stallworth, you have to pick your poison, and teams would rather give up the underneath stuff.

So, I think he's a good, but not great WR that is consistent. A good guy to have on the team, but he isn't the messiah that some people make him out to be.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: