Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Stephen King's The Mist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Stephen King's The Mist Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've known about this project for months now, but knowing that it's actually started filming has made me one happy panda. Anyone who has read Stephen King's stories always seem to point out his opening novella The Mist as one story that would make for a kickass movie if it was ever adapted. The story is pretty much a siege story that involves the aforementioned mist of the title and the creatures which inhabit it.

The Mist on Wikipedia

Frank Darabont's been very good to Stephen King when it comes to adapting his stories. He's done a great job on both The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The movie will be done on the quick with a november 21, 2007 release. All I know is that even Blue Thunder/The Coot would enjoy this movie just for the fact it has quite alot of monstrous tentacles of all sizes grabbing women, men and women and dragging them kicking and screaming deep inside the mist.

Last edited by Tullaryx on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone who has ever been a fan or even casually read Stephen King's stories will know about his novella, The Mist. Frank Darabont's work on the movie is pretty much done and now post-production is in full swing. J.J. Abrams's 01-18-08 may not be the H.P. Lovecraft movie everyone wants it to be, but The Mist may just be the closest thing to Lovecraftian we'll see anytime soon (that is until Guillermo del Toro get's to doing At The Mountain of Madness.

Here's the first official trailer to The Mist

The Mist teaser trailer

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This reminds me of the TV miniseries they made in 1999, "The Storm of the Century". I remember watching it when it premiered, but I don’t remember the whole thing. I do recall that the people of the city where this takes place are in a similar situation to that of "The Mist"--- All trapped in a large building together without being able to go out.

I'm a fan of Stephen King. I've read a few of his books and am currently on the fifth book of the Dark Tower series. I've also watched The Green Mile, and if the people who adapted that movie will be in charge of this one, I think it might have some promise. From the preview though, I have doubts. When those bug creatures started to appear it instantly reminded me of those cheap sci fi movies they're always showing on cable.

Stephen King does amazing work, but sadly, not all of his stories are portrayed to their fullest potential when they transition from writing to television/movie screen.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must say that I'm not familiar with this novella, but am overall not a fan of Stephen King. I consider myself to be a well read individual and his writing style has never appealed to me, but for the sake of argument - for those of us not familiar with the book, what is the concept of the story/plot and would it successfully transfer to movie without being overwhelmed with CG monsters?

I hate you Onimaru.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How to describe what this story is about. While there will be monsters in it a majority of it will not be CGI but puppetry and animatronics. The budget for the movie is only a fraction of what was spent on The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The bugs will be CGI since they have to be shown flitting about but when scenes of the more Lovecraftian beasties show their tendrils and tentacles they'll be animatronics.

The story was a novella in King's Skeleton Crew collection of short stories. He pretty much said he enjoyed the apocalyptic and nihilistic nature of Romero's zombie-siege movies and decided to try out a story using a similar premise. Instead of zombies he substituted a more Lovecraftian twist to the horror. Thus you get glimpses of the giant alien-looking bugs and tentacles. But the movie isn't about the monsters outside but the one's inside.

The movie pretty much creates a premise that when the world might be ending and you're stuck in a place full of your neighbors and townspeople you thought of as friends and acquaintances then things couldn't be more wrong. While the monsters are a major plus for horror fans its the themes of isolation, paranoia of others, and just plain old people going bugnuts crazy when stuck in a place with no hope of rescue.

This movie has been one of King's stories I've been hoping, wishing and praying gets a film adaptation and in a few weeks my wishes, prayers and hopes will have come true.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always came to the conclusion that the monsters outside were dinosaurs. It pretty much says so anyways once they've left the grocery store and start driving to wherever it was they were trying to get to.

Anyways, I remember reading this one on a dark and foggy night, so it creeped me right the hell out. I haven't been too sold on his novellas being adapted. I didn't think much of the film version of The Langoliers, for example, but this one looks like it could be good. I've seen one preview for it, and I liked what I saw, so I'll probably give this a watch when it comes to the theater.

~Uguu!~
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't read novels and I don't watch movies, but I saw a preview for this yesterday during the Pats game and actually thought to myself "wow, that looks like a badass movie". Depending on when it comes out I may actually go see it.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't care much for King's stuff, but this looks to be worth a shot. The end of the trailer, when they're all looking up in horror...I wonder if that's the Big one from the book they're looking at? I wonder how they'll handle that one..

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm a bit too tired from having stayed up past midnight to see a very very early screening of this movie. I will say that the movie captures the paranoia and dread of the novella and Darabont even trims some unnecessary sideplots out of the film that was in the story (one being the distracting and wholly out of place sex scene that was in the novella). The movie is not perfect and will probably polarize people to either liking it or hating it. I know the ending of the movie is one of the more nihilistic and ballsiest endings I've seen since Carpenter's The Thing.

I'll be off to watch it again after work with a few friends who are not genre fans like me. If they like it then I know this movie will have done its job. For genre fans this movie should satisfy and even shock at how gruesome and brutal it can be. Also, I hope this movie marks the first of what I think may be a rush on all things Lovecraftian in the next year or so in the movies (Cloverfield and Hellboy 2 being the other two).

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I almost caught this movie on Tuesday after my Thermodynamics exam! Sadly, it had already started when I got there. I had to watch Fred Claus, which wasn't too bad, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'll be trying to catch it this next week though! From what I've seen, it's one of the more interesting movies out in our theaters right now!
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw this movie opening day, and I really did not care to see it, but my girlfreid and a few of my friends really wanted to go. I succumbed seeing as I had no real excuse not to go. I never read the book or novella. Whatever. Also, I hadn't really seen anything about what this movie was about prior to its release. I saw a few TV spots and I wasn't impressed.

The trailers show some group of people who apparently flee fog (Oh scary fog!) and hide inside of a grocery store (We all know those are safe houses! especially with those big open glass windows up front.) and of course there are some monsters outside. The big scary thing is... you can't see them because of the mist! Mwahaha! It was looking just like the Langoliers, except without the ridiculously bad CGI!

So, I went in with the notion it was going to be a lame scarefest. The trailers do the movie no justice. It was awesome. Seriously, the movie went above and beyond all expectations. You do get to see the monsters, you do get a real sense of being scared and you do feel emotionally drained after its over. I like Stephen King for the most part. I thought his best stuff was when he dealt with more real life issues than scary over the top monsters. Shawshank and Green Mile were my two favorite Steven King movies because they tackled real feelings and issues.

I'm going to spoiler tag the rest as I really do not want to spoil anything for you people who have not seen the movie.

Firstly, I really liked the fact they did not go overly deep into who the main character was. This movie didn't need in depth back stories for the characters other than the main guy was happily married with a son. Oh and he had a legal disagreement with his next door neighbor. This brings me to my huge beef with the movie. The entire beginning scenes with the main guy approaching and befriending his once enemy neighbor seemed pretty lame considering he dies less than 1/3 through the movie, never to be seen or mentioned again. Maybe in the book, there's more to this dude, but I didn't like how they built up their history just to have him walk out of the store to never be seen or heard from again. We assume he died but really we have no solid clue. Why do that? It felt like they opened a plotline never to sew it closed.

The monsters were done quite well. Obviously they were either CGI or animatronic, but they did give be the heebee geebees. Not so much the octopus one that took the bag boy, but the bugs that killed the cheesy cashier chick and the pterodactyl like things did. The acid string shooting spiders only got me because I think spiders are wicked cool and can be awesome antagonists. Arachnophobia anyone? But the real scare of the entire movie was the preacher lady. I loved this aspect of the movie. It showed how people will react when faced with an irrational situation that they may be facing the end of the world. They did a good job with that.

One thing I noticed about the crackpot preacher woman was she cited that they needed to return to the ways of the old testament, but then she'd read from Revelations, a New Testament book. Oxymoronic. The idea was placed well though. I can see religious groups rallying against this film because of how they portray the religious as being the "wrong side". They definitely made you detest the woman.

My favorite character was totally Ollie, the store clerk who was also great with a gun. He was so cool, and I forsaw his death coming when they ventured to the car. I knew that the old guy with the moustache was going to die too, somehow. One thing I noticed as a trend too, was the older people tended to not listen to the preacher lady and stay on the rational side with the protagonist.

As for the end of the movie, It was an emotional drain to see him kill them all only to be rescued by the tank moments later. As soon as I saw there were 4 bullets left, I knew that was going to be the outcome. I knew he was going to spare his son the pain of being killed by a monster only to have it be in vein. It was truly a sad ending, but it really got through the feeling that they truly were at the end of their rope.

Overall, it was a great movie. I've been recommending it to everyone I see and I wouldn't mind going to see it again. Well made movie and I like that the monsters weren't the real evil. Kudos to Steven King.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, Red. Yeah, the people from Dimension films really do not know how to market movies such as this. I'm just glad that there's really a huge fanbase for the novella it was based on so I knew that there'll be enough people out there to see it and recommend it to people they know who have read the Stephen king novella.

The character of Brent Norton was really integral not just in the book but in the film as well. He represented the complete opposite of Mrs. Carmody's extreme religious fanaticism with his own extreme form of logic and rationality that had no room for things supernatural or unexplained. Both groups were intolerant in their own ways while the small group which remained separate from these two extreme groups seem to sit right in the middle. While they didn't discount that what's going on could be supernatural they also don't go to extremes in their reaction to it while remaining level-headed and rational enough to find a way out.

Really, the character of Brent Norton was even more of an ass in the novella which would've made him too similar to the religion-nut. Darabont seem to have toned him down a bit by making him less an asshole but more of an outsider who thinks he's better than everyone else because he is not local. I'm not sure which version I liked but I did think Andre Braugher's performance as Brent was pretty good.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I caught the movie last night, as I wanted to since last week. The movie left me with a sort of odd feeling after I got out of the theater, that's for sure. It was like a combination of sadness, fear, and something I just can't describe. It really is a strong movie, though I'm sure it's not for everyone. To me, the monsters weren't even the main dish, so to speak. To see the small groups forming inside the grocery store, and how the humans almost destroyed each other several times in a time of emergency really speaks volumes about human behavior. The ending was the final straw that left me with that odd feeling. It was just, I really have no words for it, to be honest.

All in all, I must say that I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. It made me experience something I hadn't in a long time, and anytime a film manages that I call it a win!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:
The ending was the final straw that left me with that odd feeling. It was just, I really have no words for it, to be honest.

Yeah, that ending really hit a lot of people out of nowhere when it finally showed. I think people are so used to seeing how Hollywood handles endings. I think people who sat through The Mist really wanted a typical ending that Hollywood usually pushes on the audience. I'm really glad Frank Darabont decided to come up with the ending he came up with for The Mist. Even Stephen King thought the ending Darabont came up with was something he preferred over his own ending for the novella.

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, it's so strange for an original author to prefer the movie version over the original. Heh, it sort of reminds me of Alan Moore and some of the movies that have been made based on his comics. I agree that this kind of ending is most definitely not typical of what people expect from Hollywood films. It's refreshing to have something different like this for once, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: