Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shadow Hearts 3/From The New World *Update - 03-07-06*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
I just don't "get" it. I've tried to like it and get into it so many times. Everyone shuns me because I hate Shadow Hearts. What's wrong with me?

To be honest, while I've enjoyed the series, I've yet to finish one of the games. I'm not sure if it's because the aesthetic wears on me after a while or what. Thing is, the series has always been quirky enough that I think some people NOT liking it is perfectly normal.

Blackjack wrote:
Come now. You know as well as I do that only one person can have an opinion on the game. We'll settle this...in the THUNDERDOME.

You're on!!! Two men enter, one man leaves!!!

Quote:
I agree. I'm actually really glad that they didn't change anything too major. Shadow Hearts: Covenant was really good, so they kept what worked (the humor, the off the wall character types existing inside of a dark storyline) and fixed what didn't (the absolute lack of anything approaching difficulty).

I might have prefered a story a little on the darker side, and a little less of the "off-the-wall", but it is what it is. I'm also admittedly not very far in the game. It is nice if they made it a little more difficult, and interesting that they seem to have balanced difficulty in the game with a slightly easier Judgement Ring.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that the Shadow Hearts series is establishing its quirks. They have tried the dark, gothic approach in Koudelka and (arguably) the first Shadow Hearts, but while many peoply like them for that style, they still are pale in comparison to the Shin Megami Tensei series.

So where should Shadow Hearts place itself? What uniqueness should it have to make it different than the other RPG series? Suikoden is known for its political struggle, Grandia is known for its adventurous feel, Wild ARMs is known for its Wild West. What should they do to make the series as memorable to the consumers?

Now they got it: Shadow Hearts established itself as the RPG with weird characters and "off-the-wall" humors, taking place in the real world loosely touching real historical events. While these may not appeal to everyone, they are necessary to avoid Shadow Hearts being called "Megaten wannabe" or worse and to capture a certain other type of audience.

So if you want Shadow Hearts to go back to the original darker fell, I think you would be dissapointed; Shadow Hearts has now found its track.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bah! I haven't played it yet because I get to play it after my BF finishes.... I got to watch for about 2 hours last night, though, so it was all good... I still wanted to play.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrooge McDuck wrote:
So if you want Shadow Hearts to go back to the original darker fell, I think you would be dissapointed; Shadow Hearts has now found its track.

Personally, I think that if all a developer, storyteller, producer, or whatever does is to try to create a niche for themselves by avoiding anything that could be compared to something else, they severely limit their possibilities. Granted, this is me as an artist speaking, and I'm sure the marketing folks out in the world will hold a different opinion. ^_^ I would also agree with you, however, that chances are that the series trend is not likely to go back to the more gothic and darker execution any time soon.

EDIT - Woops...went off on a tangent. Anyway, veering back a little more on the topic of this specific game, the encounter frequency (at least in the first two areas with random encounters) seems to be at a good level. Load times are pretty good as well, though I sometimes wish you could skip some of the in-combat effects. While watching the transformations are...well..."interesting", after seeing them about two dozen times I sometimes want to skip past them while I'm level grinding.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can turn off the transformations, actually. That was the very first thing I did when I turned on the game.

Also, bad news, one and all. Roger Bacon's voice actor? Sucks ass. Like, really, really bad.

Hilda rocks, though. She is, depending on what form you give her, your best fighter or your best mage. Her thin form is melodramatic as hell and a bit of a...female dog, while her 'curvy' form is the sweetest thing in the world.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
You can turn off the transformations, actually. That was the very first thing I did when I turned on the game.

Probably would be good if I actually looked into the options and things huh? >.<

I hate when there's VA work that's so bad it feels like it hurts your soul. It's one of the reasons I sometimes feel nostalgic about the days with only text. I mean, when the VA is done well it's great and adds a lot. When it's done badly though...ack. Part of the problem might be my own experience in the performing arts, but still.

Hilda sounds like she's going to be a blast. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that much farther in the game due to my anime obsession rearing it's ugly head last night.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrooge McDuck wrote:
I think that the Shadow Hearts series is establishing its quirks. They have tried the dark, gothic approach in Koudelka and (arguably) the first Shadow Hearts, but while many peoply like them for that style, they still are pale in comparison to the Shin Megami Tensei series.

So where should Shadow Hearts place itself? What uniqueness should it have to make it different than the other RPG series? Suikoden is known for its political struggle, Grandia is known for its adventurous feel, Wild ARMs is known for its Wild West. What should they do to make the series as memorable to the consumers?

Now they got it: Shadow Hearts established itself as the RPG with weird characters and "off-the-wall" humors, taking place in the real world loosely touching real historical events. While these may not appeal to everyone, they are necessary to avoid Shadow Hearts being called "Megaten wannabe" or worse and to capture a certain other type of audience.

Even if Shadow Hearts kept the dark atmosphere, I don't think anyone would call it a 'Megaten Wannabe' because they're completely different. Megaten is post apocalyptic and Shadow Hearts is historical. That alone makes them completely different.

I wish they'd go back to being darker. The original Shadow Hearts is one of my favourite games, the second one not so much. I don't really like the 'wacky' characters. I really dislike Frank in this game and I almost hated Joachim in the last game. While I liked all the characters in the first game. It's annoying.
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I on both sides of the "darker storyline vs off-the-wall humor" debate of Shadow Hearts. While I did like SH1's dark and grim storyline, I think the humor that is shown in SH:C and SH:FTNW give it it's own uniqueness and appeal. IMO I think that if Sh keeps the dark storyline and throw in the humor then it would be a great balance and something different from other RPGS.

That being said, I do think the humor in the game, while funny, is more over the top in this one. Especially with Frank. Still it makes me smile and it's enjoyable and that's what counts.

Otherwise I think Sh:FTNW is just as good as SH:C. The only complain I have about it is that it's shorter than SH:C. I just found out that I'm in the middle of the game and I'm in South America after playing for only 3 days. Good thing there are side-quests for abilities and a higher difficulty or else I would've plowed through it already.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeesh...that's halfway through? Ithink I'm there too. I hope I can stretch it with the sidequests as well. I have a guide, but I'm not really looking at it besides looking at maps sometimes, so I don't have a good grasp on how far I am.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In terms of storyline, I'd say Halfway is even before South America.

Las Vegas is pretty much the 50% time in the story.

YES. YES IT CAN.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keriaku wrote:

Even if Shadow Hearts kept the dark atmosphere, I don't think anyone would call it a 'Megaten Wannabe' because they're completely different. Megaten is post apocalyptic and Shadow Hearts is historical. That alone makes them completely different.

I wish they'd go back to being darker. The original Shadow Hearts is one of my favourite games, the second one not so much. I don't really like the 'wacky' characters. I really dislike Frank in this game and I almost hated Joachim in the last game. While I liked all the characters in the first game. It's annoying.

Yes, I would not really go as far as calling Shadow Hearts a Megaten wannabe; I just think that they are trying to avoid being trapped in that kind of predicament. How many Grade-A RPGs have a dark, menacing atmosphere beside the Megami Tensei series? At least Shadow Hearts still keeps its disturbing monster designs...

Well, I personally love Joachim and Frank and all those wacky characters. I even like the "Man Festival" sidequest. To each its own, I guess...

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:
Also, bad news, one and all. Roger Bacon's voice actor? Sucks ass. Like, really, really bad.

I just got to that part and I cringed and then cried. I assume he's going to speak roughly the same volume as in the last game? If so, I'll likely cry more.

And I agree with you on the perfect thing. Even before I bought the coral accessories I was at a high 80s percentage for perfect rings. I'd like to think that I'm just that good from all my previous practice, but alas, I don't think that's the case.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:
Blackjack wrote:

I just got to that part and I cringed and then cried. I assume he's going to speak roughly the same volume as in the last game? If so, I'll likely cry more.

And I agree with you on the perfect thing. Even before I bought the coral accessories I was at a high 80s percentage for perfect rings. I'd like to think that I'm just that good from all my previous practice, but alas, I don't think that's the case.

Actually, he speaks a very small amount in this one, thankfully.

Also...Coral...accessories? ...Why would you do that, you power gamer?

Anyway, a few more thoughts on the game.

Ricardo? Rocks my world. In addition to being the most bad-assed party member ever, his skills are amazing. You know how Lucia's Oils had really useful abilities? Now picture the constant HP/MP recovery, and the Third Key effect, and the SP Restoration, and the Ability increases...in a game that is actually difficult. Plus you get a fun little song when you use them.

Sidequests are pretty entertaining, too. I've gotten everyone's ultimate stuff except for Mao's armor, because I hate Mao and want her to go away and oh my god, I did your stupid ability quests why do I need more coins for your ultimate armor too, you freak!?

...Sorry.

Anyway. We're introduced to Hilda's Grandfather, this time around. The "Strongest Valentine Ever, capable of destroying the entire world." He is a black bat that only speaks Bat (Mao translates for you).

Shania has, of course, a secret fusion (don't they always), that is just ridiculously powerful. Its skills are very similar to Dark Seraphims, just with different names. Also, much like Ricardo's Support skills, the skill that damages an enemy and heals all allies completely is actually ridiculously useful this time around. Especially since, with maxed fetishes, it will only cost around 42 MP.

Natan's GUN-FU sadly never becomes very useful. He only gets three skills total, and none of them are overly powerful. A good number of hits, though, which is nice for the Pit Fights where you need that, I guess. His last UMA hunt is a bit weird, too, so be prepared to actually think a little.

Frank's is...odd, much like him. It involves hang gliding (using the "Momonga Arts") from one platform to another in order to find the Secret Ninja Writings.

Mao (thank god) doesn't seem to have a dungeon of her own, but it's possible I've overlooked it (I doubt it, though, as I've talked to everyone everywhere countless times).

I've yet to do Johnny's as I need to do some major Picture Hunting. Here's a tip for you. Make sure you always have at least one snap card of everything. Even after Trades, you'll want to keep one.

Well, that's all I can think of now. I'm almost done with the game, so...I'll give impressions on the good ending (as that's the one I'm on the road for) when I get it.

YES. YES IT CAN.

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler-free for this game, so I've been just skimming the posts trying to stay away from spoiler info, but there's one thing I'd like to know that I haven't seen brought up so far - Does this game reveal which ending was the right one from Covenant? (And if so - which was?)

*really wants this game* Aiiiiee.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nope, no new information on which ending was the right one, although it's probably the Good ending. (Blacked out text explaining my reasoning follows, again, nothing too spoilery, just talking about the same character that I blacked out in previous posts) Roger is decidedly Yuri-free in this game, and doesn't even make any mention of him. It seems to me that, if he had to take care of a soulless Yuri for however many years he had to take care of him, Yuri would either be with him, or he would say something--anything--about him. But, as I said, there's nothing said either way in the game.

YES. YES IT CAN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: