Suikoden United and Irrational Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shadow Hearts 3/From The New World *Update - 03-07-06*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ring Spirt rules. :*laugh*:

I did'nt sign up with XSeed, but I did pre-order Sh:FTW last month and it is being released on March 7yh. I think you can still pre-order SH3 if your local Gamestop is still allowing so.
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I want the game now, I must wait more longer than the release date since they have this tendency to release almost everything a week later in here, so I'm trying not to think about it and just forgot about the release date until much later, I really don't want to check the stores and get disappointed:(.

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

'Kay, so, this'll be out in one week. The website is (and, actually has been for a while) live at www.shadowheartsnewworld.com and it includes voice samples of all the lead characters. I really like what I hear so far. The only Voice Actor I know the name of is Shania's, and she is done by Kelly Ray. All the reviews I've read said that Shania was perfect, and her voice demo on that site (none of her as Shania, unfortunately) sounds really good so I'm really looking forward to hearing her.

It's been getting good reviews so far. 4.0s and 8.0s and such. Basically it seems like if you enjoyed Covenant you'll really like this one as it's more of the same, with a few tweaks to the battle system.

One thing I've heard that I really like is that this game is harder than Covenant, which is good, as Covenant was laughably easy.

Anyway, that's about all I can think of in terms of new information.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm looking all sorts of forward to this game after wipping through the first two. They're so incredibly addicting!

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i've only played the 2nd one but dam was it awesome. the first time i heard about 3 i was excited since how i loved the 2nd game. plus this time it takes place in america, so that will be kick @ss. i will deffinetly be getting this game as soon as i can get money.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, just picked this game up. It rocks pretty hardcore so far.

The judgement ring seems a bit slower, or the strike areas are bigger or something, because I have a 95% perfect rate (Never missed it with Johnny or Shania, just missed once or twice with Natan, because his hit areas are really close together). The enemies seem to hit a bit harder, though, which is good. I'm in the second dungeon, and there are enemies that can hit for 11-22 points with a spell (11 or 14 on Johnny and Shania, 22 on Natan due to elements), which is a good amount on level 5.

The voice acting is really good so far, too. Lenny's is a bit...off, but that's likely because I'm so used to Richard Hayworth, who was perfect in the role. Shania's actress is excellent in the role, and Johnny's is really good too. Natan's had exactly one line "My name is Natan," but...it sounded good, too.

Pretty sure I'm picking up Frank at the end of this dungeon, so I'll post again to give my impressions on this game's Joachim.

But, so far, it's a solid game. If you liked the second one, I can't imagine you not liking this.

YES. YES IT CAN.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will pick it up during my spring break. This is the first game I've been excited to play in quite some time.

Lenny has a new voice actor? Hm, not too sure I like the sound of that (no pun intended).

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yup. The From the New World dub was done in New York, whereas the Covenant one was done in LA.

YES. YES IT CAN.

Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jsut picked it up as well. I still have to hit the last bit of Tales of Legendia, but hopefully I can dive into Shadow Hearts later tonight. Hopefully, anyway, since I have a bunch of DVDs probably coming in tomorrow that I've been totally waiting for this past week and I have to help a friend move this weekend. Blech.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome update Blackjack. Hope you'll be able to pop in and share a bit more with us. I was thinking of picking it up on the weekend.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only gone through about the first hour or so, which only had one small tutorial "dungeon", but so far so good. I haven't been able to try combos yet (since I didn't have more than one character), but it looks like there's a decent amount of tactical options to explore.

Visually, the in-game engine doesn't blow me away, but that might be the cruddy TV I'm playing on. Some of the animation is a little jerky for my taste, though it doesn't take me too far out thigns. The cut scenes are very nice, however, much as folks who have played the previous games would probably expect.

I agree with Blackjack that the Judgement Ring seems a little slower or more forgiving, or something, but we'll see how things shape up as I run around with more characters.

I peronsally haven't been too thrilled with the voice acting, but it doesn't slay me either. That and so far there are a decent amount of areas that are text dialogue rather than voiced, so I doubt it will make me want to do violence upon my TV like Magna Carta's VA did.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, I'm about six and a half hours into it now. I (the player, not I, Johnny Garland)'ve just seen Hilda and Roger Bacon (Not exactly a spoiler, considering the series, but if you want to be completely in the dark with regard to connections to previous games...). They were travelling to America, and their ship crashed into a small gas station...in Roswell. And, since the travelling party consisted of the aforementioned blacked-out character, and a talking pink bat...I can assume you know what happened to them. Anyway, the voice acting is the same, still. Really good for the playable characters, average for (most of--a few are pretty good, too, but a scant few are...less than stellar. Mostly just one or two liners, though) the non-playable ones.

Johnny is really, really growing on me. When the party met Mao for the first time, Johnny freaked out, but no one else even bat an eye at the giant, talking cat, prompting Johnny to shout "I am not the weird one! ...am I?"

Having played farther, I can now say fairly confidently that the judgement ring is more forgiving. I have it set to Technical Ring for everyone, and the strike areas are still pretty generous.

Speaking of the Ring, there is a Ring Spirit in this one, though not the same one from Covenant. I think it may be his daughter, though. They seem really similar in regards to having a complete lack of competence. Also, the way you get the Attack Boosts is different in this one, too. Instead of finding the spirit in various places, she's camped outside of Garland Office and you bring her Ring Fragments and, in exchange, she gives you Attack Boosts.

Now. Frank. Definitely the Joachim of the game. He even finds his weapons in the exact same way -- same music and everything. He just hoists them up off the ground and sticks a hilt on them to make a sword. So far (in addition to his default weapon), he's gotten a "Cactus saber" and a "bus stop saber"

His victory phrases are also pretty hysterical, including a jovial "Hey, you! Don't forget to brush your teeth!"

That's all for now. Impressions on Hilda later, if anyone's interested.

YES. YES IT CAN.

Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the update Blackjack. Nice to know as I play that someone who's farther ahead is enjoying things. I'll continue to put my two cents in too, because I'm opinionated like that.

It's interesting (in a good way, not the Chinese proverbial way) that they kept a lot of the same types of elements that made the previous games quirky and funny, but changed things here and there. I might have liked to have seen them digress a little more from the previous formula of character types, but I can't complain too much.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've given this series so many chances to wow or impress me. I can't really stand it. Shadow Hearts was an average game to me but the horror aspect made it fun I guess. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is just an overrated pile of poopie imho. I don't get the appeal for that game at all. I played over 10 hours trying to see what was so good about it. It was just a battle system that got boring after the first 5 hours, awful humor (Joachim, the stereotypical gay guys), awful characters (Yuri, Joachim, Gepetto, the pretty boy priest guy, the wolf dog), and the story was just cliche' tripe. People say the series isn't cliche because of it's setting but SH doesn't use it's setting to it's advantage at all. It's more like, set in the early 1900's but still have modern looking buildings and so forth. Blech. To top it off there's the one screen towns, the boring uninspired dungeons, lack of exploratoin overall.. I just don't "get" it I guess. SH is by far the only highly praise rpg series I've never 'gotten" or understood why it's popular in the first place.

I tried out SH3's demo and a lot of the elements I hate from the other games are still in there: boring towns, awful humor, awful character designs (what the heck is with that scientist guy or whatever with his pants up his butt?), the setting is in the 1920's but it felt like it was in the 1990's at most. To make it worse you had that awful voice acting ("Masssster! I'll do anything for you! I've swore an oath to go any where you go!!" or something like that. I hate that guy and I hate characters like that now).

I just don't "get" it. I've tried to like it and get into it so many times. Everyone shuns me because I hate Shadow Hearts. What's wrong with me?

Last edited by Himuro on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Equus wrote:
Thanks for the update Blackjack. Nice to know as I play that someone who's farther ahead is enjoying things. I'll continue to put my two cents in too, because I'm opinionated like that.

Come now. You know as well as I do that only one person can have an opinion on the game. We'll settle this...in the THUNDERDOME.

Equus wrote:
It's interesting (in a good way, not the Chinese proverbial way) that they kept a lot of the same types of elements that made the previous games quirky and funny, but changed things here and there. I might have liked to have seen them digress a little more from the previous formula of character types, but I can't complain too much.

I agree. I'm actually really glad that they didn't change anything too major. Shadow Hearts: Covenant was really good, so they kept what worked (the humor, the off the wall character types existing inside of a dark storyline) and fixed what didn't (the absolute lack of anything approaching difficulty).

YES. YES IT CAN.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: