Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies


  [ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Introducing Bounty Hunting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blueflame

Blue Rookies


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Post Count: 2388
Location: Praderas de Esperanza
294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is very cool idea. This bounty idea should be open not only to the mercs but to other members of other nations as well. There should also be something like selling of lands to other nations kind of idea. Sorry, I wouldn't know if there is. I'm just new here. Anyway, like the mercs get that land and give it to the nation with the highest bid. There should also be like a protection pact or something where the nation pays a certain group of mercs so that they won't attack your nation or something like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Post Count: 3951
Location: Mar-Uruk
172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
This is very cool idea. This bounty idea should be open not only to the mercs but to other members of other nations as well. There should also be something like selling of lands to other nations kind of idea. Sorry, I wouldn't know if there is. I'm just new here. Anyway, like the mercs get that land and give it to the nation with the highest bid. There should also be like a protection pact or something where the nation pays a certain group of mercs so that they won't attack your nation or something like that.


For several reasons, this is only for Mercenaries and remain that way until Vextor decides to change it. Mercenaries need love, too. This is for Mercenaries to enjoy and another way for nations to interact with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!


Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Post Count: 4168
Location: Obel
1097082 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron wrote:
Quote:
This is very cool idea. This bounty idea should be open not only to the mercs but to other members of other nations as well. There should also be something like selling of lands to other nations kind of idea. Sorry, I wouldn't know if there is. I'm just new here. Anyway, like the mercs get that land and give it to the nation with the highest bid. There should also be like a protection pact or something where the nation pays a certain group of mercs so that they won't attack your nation or something like that.


For several reasons, this is only for Mercenaries and remain that way until Vextor decides to change it. Mercenaries need love, too. This is for Mercenaries to enjoy and another way for nations to interact with them.


And if a nation has a bounty and several allies then the chances of a merc being used to hunt said bounty would decrease to what their allies would be doing and their capabilities since nations can wield far more force than a company of Mercs and the only advantage mercs have is the zero limitation with national borders.

Since i read before that at least Tinto plan on having you as their bounty dealer then why not also have a designate bounty hunter from each nation that is also made public in the same sense? That way it would not impart work for the Admins and nations can also benefit from something without being forced to rely on Mercs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon


Joined: 24 May 2004
Post Count: 5740
Location: Blight's Bay
1099842 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a pretty good idea as, not only would it make the logistics simpler but it would also create a new job for nations to delegate.
_________________


"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Masaya

Flying Fusillades


Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Post Count: 7917
Location: Mar-Uruk
222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, if anyones bored, they can always put a bounty on themselves? Could always be interesting...

Do dueling stats and such take a large role in being able to capture or subdue someone I suppose?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Post Count: 3951
Location: Mar-Uruk
172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fly wrote:
And if a nation has a bounty and several allies then the chances of a merc being used to hunt said bounty would decrease to what their allies would be doing and their capabilities since nations can wield far more force than a company of Mercs and the only advantage mercs have is the zero limitation with national borders.

Since i read before that at least Tinto plan on having you as their bounty dealer then why not also have a designate bounty hunter from each nation that is also made public in the same sense? That way it would not impart work for the Admins and nations can also benefit from something without being forced to rely on Mercs.


That's not a bad idea. The common opinion is in favor of this but I'll stress that if applied, this Bounty Hunting would take place of Exploration, as hunting a Bounty takes place of Adventuring for Mercenaries. Not many nations would so quickly give up that advantage of having an Exploration. It would create new positions to be filled by nations, titles to hand out and those are always good. However, at this point I'd really rather it be reserved for Mercenaries. If you'd like to be a Bounty Hunter, you can freely join the Mercenary group, in kind with those who want to adventure.

I'll not say that this idea may become applicable in future, but once the system gets going we'll know if and how we can integrate "Citizen Bounty Hunters". That is a good idea and a great way to apply it but let's keep it simple at stick with the original intent and we'll allow ourselves to expand upon it later. If it seems like I'm disregarding your valid input I apologize, because I do think it's a good solution, but let's wait and see this out before we apply that aspect and see if we really want to do that.

Quote:
Hey, if anyones bored, they can always put a bounty on themselves? Could always be interesting...

Do dueling stats and such take a large role in being able to capture or subdue someone I suppose?

Self Bounty? That would be inviting battle! May be a good way to score potch though and perhaps some easy victories... don't abuse my system!

Dueling Stats may take part. I don't handle this but I imagine they would be influential as far as providing a range for general power. I know someone like me (were I a Bounty Hunter Mercenary) would have a very troublesome time trying to get to Vextor or Axiose, so that would impact it but there's no formula as of yet. Stats probably do affect it but to what degree will have to become clear with trial and error.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!


Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Post Count: 4168
Location: Obel
1097082 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron wrote:
Fly wrote:
And if a nation has a bounty and several allies then the chances of a merc being used to hunt said bounty would decrease to what their allies would be doing and their capabilities since nations can wield far more force than a company of Mercs and the only advantage mercs have is the zero limitation with national borders.

Since i read before that at least Tinto plan on having you as their bounty dealer then why not also have a designate bounty hunter from each nation that is also made public in the same sense? That way it would not impart work for the Admins and nations can also benefit from something without being forced to rely on Mercs.


That's not a bad idea. The common opinion is in favor of this but I'll stress that if applied, this Bounty Hunting would take place of Exploration, as hunting a Bounty takes place of Adventuring for Mercenaries. Not many nations would so quickly give up that advantage of having an Exploration. It would create new positions to be filled by nations, titles to hand out and those are always good. However, at this point I'd really rather it be reserved for Mercenaries. If you'd like to be a Bounty Hunter, you can freely join the Mercenary group, in kind with those who want to adventure.

I'll not say that this idea may become applicable in future, but once the system gets going we'll know if and how we can integrate "Citizen Bounty Hunters". That is a good idea and a great way to apply it but let's keep it simple at stick with the original intent and we'll allow ourselves to expand upon it later. If it seems like I'm disregarding your valid input I apologize, because I do think it's a good solution, but let's wait and see this out before we apply that aspect and see if we really want to do that.


Not at all, after all this is mostly your idea so I'm merely offering a possible solution to things that were asked which would require less effort by all involved, really all i can do is pitch the idea and then those who wish to incorporate it or dissect it can take it from there. While i fully agree that to nut out the explicit details of what is required and how this works it should be limited in its execution it's always nice to plan ahead for if it is received well or if there is a possible backup if it isn't.

I kinda assumed that the bounty hunting would be during explorations, since already Grozny has been beaten by a few people in national battles yet Marianne hasn't been forthcoming in any reward for her expressed hatred and prior deal with Nameless, so i don't think that would be a problem without most nations if they are gunning for the reward then there are certain advantages to using an exploration as opposed to not.

As for myself, i have no plans to merc it up in any regard, i just thought that bounty hunting isn't purely a merc business and its quite extreme to think that it is, so i was just trying to limit nation involvement so that they don't dwarf the mercs, but at least involving them in an equal regard. ;)

So all the best in getting it up and running.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions


Joined: 24 May 2004
Post Count: 19502

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At the moment, bounty hunting would take the place of adventures for mercs. Many things would effect whether the bounty hunting is succesful. After all, you couldn't send a level 10 unit with 100 soldiers after a (popular?) NPC like Jalat and expect success.

Bounty Hunting isn't a sure thing but it depends how many and who go after a certain bounty.

From our point of view, bounty hunting is going to be that much more work than doing explorations. We know the destination and the target already, all that's left to see wheter it'll be succesful for that phase and if so, what the outcome will be.

Oh and yeah, merc only for the moment. Perhaps in the future, but as with everything, you'll have to wait and see.
_________________

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance


Joined: 24 May 2006
Post Count: 4823
Location: Pale Plains
936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fly wrote:
And if a nation has a bounty and several allies then the chances of a merc being used to hunt said bounty would decrease to what their allies would be doing and their capabilities since nations can wield far more force than a company of Mercs and the only advantage mercs have is the zero limitation with national borders.


Well theres a big power gap in the mercenaries, what can you do? Thats one of the prices you pay for it. It'd probably become too easy to kill selected members if you could send nation members off to search for the bounty. Unless you pay a lot of money to get an admin to search for your bounty, you get what you pay for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!


Joined: 14 Dec 2005
Post Count: 4168
Location: Obel
1097082 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Fly wrote:
And if a nation has a bounty and several allies then the chances of a merc being used to hunt said bounty would decrease to what their allies would be doing and their capabilities since nations can wield far more force than a company of Mercs and the only advantage mercs have is the zero limitation with national borders.


Well theres a big power gap in the mercenaries, what can you do? Thats one of the prices you pay for it. It'd probably become too easy to kill selected members if you could send nation members off to search for the bounty. Unless you pay a lot of money to get an admin to search for your bounty, you get what you pay for.


Thats kinda the point i made, a nation with many allies wouldn't have such a division between what can be used and what cannot since there is a greater pool of talent to choose from. That is why my suggestion for further down the track would involve nations since it increases the wealth of talent that one can choose from to get the job done and also allows for minimal losses of opportunity to be sustained by the mercs since there will be a limit on how many hunters per nation.

It is forward thinking and a plausible idea for if the situation arises, whether or not it's used, as i stated previously, isn't up to me, i just can't see very many flaws with it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arenegeth




Joined: 23 May 2005
Post Count: 1995
Location: Ceresfjellet
1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps I missed something while reading all the posts in this thread but I still don’t understand what happens in case many mercenaries want to take a hit?

They team up and they split the cash?

They compete and the most capable or lucky gets the bounty? (Thing which would make people avoid competing with a level gap)

I still don’t understand where success will be based at. I mean we could manage to trick and tarp our prey without force but guile? Could we perform silent assassinations within enemy borders using stealth instead of a frontal assault? Because with techniques like that we could take on enemies stronger than us statistically…

Also can a Nation use a counter-bounty on the merc hunter for the Phase (since you mentioned that you technically could put a bounty on real players)?

For example I may have accepted a bounty on Highland’s Kage other than the inherent difficulty of reaching him while he is surrounded by allies could the Nation hire another mercenary to stop me from getting to him?

Some clarification since I think I know the answers to these questions…

Only mercenaries can take a bounty no Wanderers (I know you said “merc only” but people forget Wanderers exist)? And I assume that a merc cannot hire himself to a Nation nor go into a normal adventure at the same phase either…

The rewards will be limited to the potch (or I guess soldiers if that’s allowed) of the bounty and any victories that may get from any ensuing battles? Or is it more open ended like a normal adventure?

What could a mercenary lose from failing a bounty besides the money they will pay the loss of the potch reward and any soldiers lost from regiment battles? And of course wasting a Phase… (I’m kinda asking if they can end up incapacitated for a Phase afterwards)

Sorry if I’m a bit overwhelming with these questions but I assumed that’s why the thread was here…
_________________
"I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Post Count: 3951
Location: Mar-Uruk
172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Sorry if I’m a bit overwhelming with these questions but I assumed that’s why the thread was here…

Yeah! Take it easy! God, SOOOo demanding. :D. You're exactley right, I'm glad you're asking questions before the system goes to print. It makes things easier.

Quote:
Perhaps I missed something while reading all the posts in this thread but I still don’t understand what happens in case many mercenaries want to take a hit?

They team up and they split the cash?

They compete and the most capable or lucky gets the bounty? (Thing which would make people avoid competing with a level gap)

I still don’t understand where success will be based at. I mean we could manage to trick and tarp our prey without force but guile? Could we perform silent assassinations within enemy borders using stealth instead of a frontal assault? Because with techniques like that we could take on enemies stronger than us statistically…

Also can a Nation use a counter-bounty on the merc hunter for the Phase (since you mentioned that you technically could put a bounty on real players)?

For example I may have accepted a bounty on Highland’s Kage other than the inherent difficulty of reaching him while he is surrounded by allies could the Nation hire another mercenary to stop me from getting to him?


I'll do a play by play. Hypothetical, of course.

Step 1: (You cut a hole in a box..no...) Tinto posts a bounty on Sal Lamel
Step 2: Arenegeth see's the generous bounty and takes the bait! He contacts the Bounty poster from Tinto (Me!)
Step 3: When it comes time to send your plans to Vextor send it to him like this... "Adventure- Pursue Bounty Sal Lamel in Tinto"
Step 4: Wait for Vextor to get around to posting your Hunt.
Step 5: If you're strong enough and incapacitate Sal Lamel for 1 or 2 phases (since Vextor has said he wants to get away from killing NPC's since they have influential roles in most stories; they aren't throw aways thought they seem that way at times) you collect on your generous bounty from the bounty poster (Me!)

Though unstated, it's not a stretch to think if your Hunt is successful, you'd gain a victory. So the advantage of going on Bounty Hunts is the generous reward and an oppurtunity to gain a victory, or perhaps get yourself involved in a story that you can adventure with the following phase. In application, Bounty Hunts are like directed Adventures. When you would normally say, adventure to such and such island, now you'd say adventure after such and such person. Is this more clear?

I don't see why two hunters couldn't team up on a mark. That would make you more likely to catch him I suppose. We'll limit it to 3 like adventures so this doesn't cause more stress on the administration. As far as compensation goes, the nation can distribute money as it sees fit. Even split is the easiest way I can think of but if the nation wants to give more to one than by all means.

If two seperate groups are going after the same mark, friction may arise with the competition. It would be interesting to see how it turned out. Keep in mind that it would function like an adventure and would therefore be run that way. When groups explored the same area in the past (Seek Valley for example) they were given the option to compete or team up.

As it was said, success is based on lots of factors. If you want to pursue a unit stronger than you but his profile and actions prove his lack of intelligence, by all means, try your luck. Should you want to pursue a mark weaker than you, you'll likely get him or her or it. What determines your success on an adventure? The difficulty of the area you select, just like with explorations. If you'd really like to know if you'll be successful or not, try and fail or try and succeed. If nothing else you may be given information to sell to your employer, which was a point brought up earlier.

I suppose you could put up a counter bounty, yes, but it would get awfully complicated that way. It's also been said that it's discouraged to put a bounty on players, yet not disallowed. I trust in the community at large to be respectful of one another and not abuse my system.

Quote:
Only mercenaries can take a bounty no Wanderers (I know you said “merc only” but people forget Wanderers exist)? And I assume that a merc cannot hire himself to a Nation nor go into a normal adventure at the same phase either…


At this point, yes. Only Mercenaries. Wanderers get no rights. Unless the administration wants Wanders to have this privelage, we'll keep it with the Mercenaries.

Quote:
The rewards will be limited to the potch (or I guess soldiers if that’s allowed) of the bounty and any victories that may get from any ensuing battles? Or is it more open ended like a normal adventure?

You may end up stealing an item held by the mark, though it's uncertain. Most nations will offer potch only, since soldiers is a silly form of currency (but not back in the good old days). They can offer items but most of the time a nation likes to keep items for their active members as rewards or means of throwing off their enemy.

Quote:
What could a mercenary lose from failing a bounty besides the money they will pay the loss of the potch reward and any soldiers lost from regiment battles? And of course wasting a Phase… (I’m kinda asking if they can end up incapacitated for a Phase afterwards)

From what I can gather, you won't be incapacitated for a phase, it will just be as if you wasted a phase on a dud adventure.

This clear some things up then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvl

Sanctus


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Post Count: 5979
Location: Senan
55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...What about private requests? Could someone contact a mercenary about a contract to attack a specific NPC?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fuji




Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Post Count: 7067
Location: North Sparrow Pass
9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When is the target disabled? If I put a bounty on... oh I dunno... Sigurdr the Black (not that I would). Let's assume some bold, honourable and heroic mercenary decides to undertake this fight for supreme justice and successfully incapacitates this scoundrel for the phase. When does this occur? During turn 1? Between turn 2 and 3?
_________________
______ "We're still flying"

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance


Joined: 24 May 2006
Post Count: 4823
Location: Pale Plains
936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
...What about private requests? Could someone contact a mercenary about a contract to attack a specific NPC?


Well it's conducted as normal mercenary business, so I suppose you could approach one and ask, it's entirely up to them to say yes or no. The adventure would still become public.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
suikox.com by: Vextor


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
  Username:    Password:      Remember me