Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Would you still like Suikoden if the series became popular?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Would you still like Suikoden if the series became popular? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As the title said. Be honest with yourself, if Suikoden became the new FF, would you still like it? Or would this be a dream come true?

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps my own opinions don't run in the same pattern as many, but I would welcome an increase in popularity. As long as Konami produces high-quality games that live up to the Suikoden name-sake, I don't see why anybody wouldn't want Suikoden to be more popular.

I think that, ironically enough it has become popular to dislike popular things in culture, and to be honest I don't really understand that line of thinking anymore than I understand liking something because its popular.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

More popularity means more budget, more manpower, more attention paid... it means a lot of things along those lines. Basically, if Suikoden became more popular, the developers would also be given more resources to work with, one would hope. It doesn't follow that they'd mess up after being given more and better resources to work towards the goal with, so I fail to see why it'd be a problem. At the very least, they might be able to afford a nice pencil and notepad to use to keep track of backstory details...

Put another way, no, I don't go for the whole "I liked this stuff before it was cool" mentality.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I think that, ironically enough it has become popular to dislike popular things in culture, and to be honest I don't really understand that line of thinking anymore than I understand liking something because its popular.

That's what I was thinking when I made the thread.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd only have a problem with it if the series somehow changed direction to make itself popular. As long as it retains what makes it distinctly Suikoden (that abstract feeling Suikoden IV seemed nigh devoid of), I'd only be happy that it's popular.

I think people dislike popular things less because of the content-- or even because it's "cool"-- than they dislike the people and conversation around it. It can make it difficult to enjoy something if a horde of people are like "MOST AWESOME THING EVER", and never shut up. Most of the discussion of popular culture is inane and uninteresting with little consideration of what actually makes whatever is being discussed good or bad. That's the turn-off for me at least. I'd still like the object, just not the community.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FabledHero

17817 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What Zonder said.

It's quite ridiculous how some people try to avoid being, "cliche" yet that's exactly what they are, in their attempt to avoid being cliche, they become cliche, because for some reason people feel empowered when they do something different. I don't think they're smart enough to realize this, they just do as they feel without thought, otherwise they'd realize how foolish they're being.

So of course any true Suikoden fan would love to see the series become the most popular series ever, we should want it to get it's rightful due, and as many people to enjoy the series as possible. As well as the creators to get their rightful due, I mean it's feasible they could've stopped releasing it to America based on low sales.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't mind. It would be nice in many ways: the series would be guarenteed to come over to the English speaking regions of the world, even the spin-offs like Suikogaiden and Suikoden Card Stories. There would be an influx of new blood into the community. There would be a higher budget, so hopefully they'd have more time to craft things and fix things like speeding up the load times. Heck, they might even reprint Suikoden I and II, which would be great for everyone who'd like to play them. (And bad pretty much hard only for the people who are selling copies on E-bay now for $200 a pop. :*laugh*: )

I would dislike it if the changed it drastically to make it more palatable for the masses, though. If they got rid of the focus on the geography and history of the Suikoden world or changed the 108 character dynamic so that there were less people to play as, I don't think I'd like it as much. I don't mind minor changes, but Suikoden is so unique I'd hate to see that vague "distinctly Suikoden" flavour go away.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If there's one thing I want the Suikoden series to achieve, it is for the series to become popular. I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Suikoden series would become popular. In fact, I would even like it. I would still play the games, and enjoy them as much as I used to with the others. I doubt Suikoden's popularity would affect the quality of the series that much, so I would welcome that change.
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't mind either and I agree with Sophita. If the series did become popular, it would be nice to have access to Suikoden I and II again instead of paying outrageous demands. And, yes, it would be nice to have access to the Suikoden Card Stories. I am also thinking about the increased in commercial products such as easy access to artworks with artbooks becoming popular, dolls, posters, soundtracks, etc. As it is, it is hard to get images for Suikoden V. And it is real shame when you look towards the anime art community and of course you find popular artists (such as Tujiki Nao) doing works solely based on popular games (pretty much Final Fantasy) and never really seeing a nice rendition of Suikoden artworks.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will also stay a fan of Suikoden no matter how popular or unpopular it may become in the future. Hey if it actually becomes popular I'll just have more Suikoden fans I can talk with and if it doesn't--all the more reason that it will keep my support

The only way you'd get me to not like the Suikoden series anymore is when it reaches the point of becoming a final fantasy. And what I mean by that is that every game is unrelated to the next except the series name and maybe some other minor stuff...and there is no end in sight even when it hits Suikoden 100.
Of course at that point it probably wouldn't be the same Suikoden anymore... :?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quite an iffy question for a FF-type hater like me.

I say, it depends on how it becomes popular. Should Suikoden become another FF-esque game, that's where my love of it ends, but if it can win a following simply y following this current formula, then I'm all for it.

As the type of person who hates things because they're popular, I should clarify: The real reason has to do with personal preference. Whatever is seen as being cool or popular is usually something I don't like in the first place.

A few thing that may increase my dislike of a particular thing/person:

a) Fanboys/fangirls: It may sound weird, but I tend to avoid anything with fanboys/girls that border on simian intelligence levels. Especially yaoi/yuri.
b) Standard generic formula: I tend to like original stories, not your average 'Guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, girl turns out to be key to saving/destroying the world, evil villian kidnaps girl, yadda yadda yadda' formula.
c) Liking: I do NOT like shooters. I do NOT like fighting games. I do NOT like the color pink. I detest 1337 speek.

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:
I do NOT like fighting games. I do NOT like the color pink.

Oh my god, this means you hate Dan. We can't get married now, sorry.

More people buying games > more budget = A more playable game.
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. It's like anything else I'm fond of. If I really do like it then I'm not going to let popularity or the opinions of others get in my way. I'm not so fickle.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you still like Suikoden if the series became popul Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
As the title said. Be honest with yourself, if Suikoden became the new FF, would you still like it?

I don't think an increase of popularity would translate into Suikoden essentially becoming a new Final Fantasy. First, the general format of the two series is completely different. I'm not talking about the continuity between the games (though that is certainly a good thing) but rather Suikoden has the whole Stars of Destiny and recruiting elements which Final Fantasy doesn't.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't give a damn whether Suikoden is popular or not, I like the series for what it is. That might change if Konami were to adopt Square-Enix's affinity for CGI cutscenes but, if all that changes with the series is mainstream recognition, then I don't have a problem with it. If anything, it just makes the games that much more accessible, which is always a good thing.

If Suikoden became more like Final Fantasy in terms of game play and presentation, then I would have to admit that I would find it disappointing. I like that cutscenes are used sparingly in Suikoden and that they aren't super polished, movie quality, which can be jarring when they don't match the in-game graphics (which is one reason I've always prefered the cutscenes from, say, Zelda in comparison to Final Fantasy. The Zelda cutscenes match not only the gameplay graphics but any equipment changes you've made) or that they don't dominate huge portions of the game.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assume the "new FF" tag is in terms of popularity, not style as the question is designed to judge our interest in the series.

So, yeah, I would. My interest in the series is independent of any factors created by other people. As long as I can continue to gather and catalog information and run my site, I don't really mind if the fandom grows or not.

Of course, from a pure profit perspective, it would be good for the fandom to grow.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: