Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Thomas Tenkai star yet not leader?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Thomas Tenkai star yet not leader? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this is something i did not quite understanding this part. I started to play Suikoden III again and noticed this about Thomas. Why is it that thomas is the first Tenkai that we can play but he isn't a true hero. Why can't we end up controling him in the end. All the game, shows is him in two chapters telling you how he became Master of the Castle, and how he made it an important place. He was the one that suggested it be the base to.

I believe Thomas should be the true Flame Champion he did not have any transgression towards anyone really. If not Flame Champion he could of been the main character. His part was indeed necessary for the Fire Bringer.

:et me end this with this question. Why is he not the leader of the Fire Bringer. Why does he have no True Rune or part of a True Rune? Why did he not get a bigger part other then his own chapters and the begining of Chapter 4 and then threw him out of the picture and made him some common general.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas is the only true hero. :P

I wish Thomas could get the True Fire Rune, but as others will no doubt point out, he had no reason to seek it out. Thomas just wants to protect Budehuc - it's his homeland, really, even if he wasn't born there. He just wants to protect his home. He'd be the best one though; certainly a more bearable choice than Hugo. :*laugh*:

I've not gotten to that part of the novel yet, but I believe I've heard that Thomas's role is similar to that of the Tenkai star in the original novel. So perhaps it's a callback to that?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, as Sophia said, I heard that the Tenkai in the original novel was more like Thomas.

I love Thomas... he does have the qualities of the Tenkai Star in that he brings people together. Who says he has to be a fighter?

It worked well with the story of Suikoden III. Traditionally, the true/ signature rune bearer is the tenkai, but in III, we had 3 true runes so who would have been tenkai? Hugo, Chris and Geddoe would not make good tenkais, nor would they have a suitable castle for people to gather in -- a castle in Zexen, Grassland or Harmonia wouldn't have worked, so Thomas was brought in and IMHO he is the perfect solution to this problem. A "neutral" tenkai with a "neutral" castle to bring all the nations together.

As a side note, the Tenkai's bodyguard in this one, Cecile, is cuteness incarnate. She's 100x better than Gremio, Nanami or Lyon :)

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He would have been the perfect canidate for a True Rune then. All the other Tenkai did not have any true motive for their true runes and half runes. Most got them before the true threat even was reealed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Puu

Royal Yaoi Fanpeep Brigade

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Thomas was a wonderful leader. You don't necessarily need to have a True Rune/Rune/army to be a leader. Besides, Thomas had incredible charisma, and just drew people... Amazed them. Remember the scene between Hugo and Thomas? I thought at that point then that Thomas truly deserved his star...

Plus, I think the writers wanted to show us the change in the Suikoworld. I mean, it sort of reminded me of our world. They're not exactly warring so much anymore....in some places anyway. But, in our time, the leaders aren't the ones with the military anymore but... well, just politicians?

;_; Thomas is love! Who knows! Maybe he was walking randomly around Grassland and the Wind Rune latched onto him! j/k
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would have been nice if Thomas got the True Wind Rune at the endm or something.

Oh well...*sigh*

^Actual quote!
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep. Thomas didnt need to be a fighter, we could say he fights almost accidentally just to serve higher goals, protect Budehuc. Anyway nobody is dumping Thomas down, after all the sweat that costed me defeat Guillaume with Thomas on that duel! :*laugh*:
blueflame

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas is cool. He's so calm and all that. I agree with all of you. You don't need to be a great fighter to be a good leader. Thomas' chapters were probably the ones I liked. Hopefully, in one of the later Suikodens, Thomas will get some true rune. This is out of topic but in the war where you fight Yuber (I think its one of the final wars or the final war), I used Thomas or as my brother calls them the Thomasites to defeat Yuber. It was unbelievable.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thomas is a great character, but hes no warrior or True Rune bearer, hes a normal guy with a reluctant father whos a Zexen councilman that runs a castle in between The Grassland and Zexen and has a friend whos a talking dog with a scar on his head.

Okay, so he's not that normal.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as I see things, Thomas was doing stuff all the other Tenkai has been doing -- that is, being an inspiration to others and gathering all the other Stars of Destiny with him. ...At least that's what I think the Tenkai stars are doing.

Anyway, because of his ownership of Budehuc castle, he was able to gather all the other Stars of Destiny under him. His attitude, and other traits too were pretty much like the other Tenkais. Just because he wasn't Suikoden III's main hero doesn't mean that he wasn't a leader in his own right. In my point of view, Thomas is still an important figure in the Fire Bringer War, even though he didn't weild the True Fire Rune himself.
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Thomas is a great character, but hes no warrior or True Rune bearer, hes a normal guy with a reluctant father whos a Zexen councilman that runs a castle in between The Grassland and Zexen and has a friend whos a talking dog with a scar on his head.

His father wasn't that reluctant for him. He tried to disown him.
Puu

Royal Yaoi Fanpeep Brigade

5500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Coot wrote:
It would have been nice if Thomas got the True Wind Rune at the endm or something.

Oh well...*sigh*

Would have lessened his coolness though...
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Thomas. He was a true leader and a hero, even if the Flame Champion was the one who lead the battles. Thomas' story has as much significance as Hugo, Geddoe, and Chris.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thomas Tenkai star yet not leader? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mumbay wrote:

:et me end this with this question. Why is he not the leader of the Fire Bringer. Why does he have no True Rune or part of a True Rune? Why did he not get a bigger part other then his own chapters and the begining of Chapter 4 and then threw him out of the picture and made him some common general.

To me, the Flame champion was for someone who strongely wanted to protect the grasslands. Thomas may have been a canadiate, but he mainly focused on his castle. He really couldn't afford to be involved with other things, like the grassland and Zexen war. This is why I think he didn't/couldn't get one of the True runes. He had his own problems to deal with at the time.
As to why he wasn't the selected hero, I'm assuming this was really due to time. I think that originally Thomas may have been capable of having an ending with Luc, even without a rune, but it was cut because there really was no time to do it. Or perhaps it's because they wanted to only focus on the 3 main TR bearers. I think Thomas really is a hero as well, since he is trying to have a place where everyone is welcome, and there is no war. At least that's my impression of him. However, I think the game wanted to focus on the 3 sides instead. So that might be why Thomas wasn't the main character in the game.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mumbay wrote:
Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:

His father wasn't that reluctant for him. He tried to disown him.

What do you mean? I'd say that's reluctant, plus he didn't try to disown him he tried to get rid of him really because Thomas' presence would damage his career.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: