Suikoden United and Illegal Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What do you think Suikoden IV did RIGHT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris McDohl

Chris

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you know.....i was wandering why in Suikoden 4 the True Rune goes to the left hand and not on the palm....

but in the previous games.......
all the True Runes goes on the right hand and on the palm.....

what the heck happened to them.......

========
the only suikoden i hate is Suikoden 3.......to much walking.........
Chris McDohl

Chris

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

guys....i know this one is not related to the topic....but.....
how can i put my avatar?
what's URL
sorry....im just new here :roll: :roll:
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is an avatar panel within your profile control panel (just click "Profile" in the links at the top right of the page) where you can link to your avatar of choice. But under no circumstances should anybody link directly from Suikosource.

URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator and is a term for an internet address.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harukaze wrote:
Elc wrote:
Another thing I particularly likes were the animations added to the duels. It may drag the duels a little bit in cases where both duelists defend, but it makes it more realistic than just having both of them stand on opposite sides of the screen until one (or both) does an attack.

Not sure I agree about the training hall, not sure I like being able to get everyone to level 99 [I think it fostered -most- if not all of the complaints about the game's difficulty or lack thereof, honestly]. But this I agree with wholeheartedly.

Well my whole problem with the training hall is not the ability to get characters to level 99, thats possible in every game, it is that remember Suikoden is a Role Playing Game.

One of the biggest key elements of this genre is random battles, places to explore (i.e. dungeons) and this is how level ups occur. Now if you take away all of those core elements you not only shorten a RPG as we have seen in Suikoden IV, but you also take away the challenge of it.

Sure its a pain to run around getting into random battles in order to level up, but its a main component of every RPG, you have to work hard and put time into building your characters. Adding the training hall significantly cut this down, if not practically eliminated it.

Less need for random battles made less need for places to have those battles occur, so the world in Suikoden IV was really small. I sincerly hope that the training hall trend does not continue for the sake of Suikoden.

Eek..I went way off topic, my apologies, I do agree that the duel animation was a good improvement and should be kept.

:)

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Atavaka

Werewolf Brigade

Location: Fort Retto, which just got a Senseo Cappucino Maker ^_^
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is pretty surprising how much the voice acting helped improve the game. It wasn't nearly as awkward as I was expecting it to be.

The graphics, especially the characters, were much improved over Suikoden III's. I felt the attack and cut-scene animations were very smooth and melded hand-in-hand with the voice acting. This is something I could get to love as a series standard.

Unlimited item space. That one can't be said enough. I hate having to give up items.

Quick battles. Extra battle deph would've been nice, but I certainly won't miss those long, boring Suikoden III battles where the characters spend forty seconds searching for an enemy to viciously bop on the head. Instead, we have very neat attack animations which, besides being nice-looking, are also pretty fast. This one should also become a series standard.

Nostalgic returning characters (well, character, really). I have nothing against Futch, but Ted is like bringing Flik and Viktor back in Suikoden II. His rune and recruitment quest are awesome; my only regret is his voice, which I thought should've been a little less... noble-sounding, and a little more, uh, youthful? Okay, maybe not youthful, but something other than the voice he had.

Good characters. I never gave a real hoot about Suikoden III characters, but in this installment, I did. And there weren't even that many story scenes! Not as memorable as Suikoden II's characters, but still deep enough that I had to actually think about who I liked the most to put in my party.

Weapon upgrades are fun, and they really made me want to play as every character just so I could say who had the best-looking final weapon.

Decent music. I liked alot of the background music, and the battle theme was pretty good. Boss themes were the best, though.

And like most people so far, these were the best duels in the series yet. Attack animations were awesome to watch and the voice acting made the lines more exciting, not to mention it made it easier to guess what the opponent was going to do next.

I liked the naval battles. Probably because they were so easy.
mishia

Arcania Orion

109 Potch
89 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmmm...
I thought SIV was better than III. There was the old charm.
I loved the music, especially La Mer and the ship music. The mini-games rocked! I mean, I could play and play Ritapon or the card game forever and ever...

It probably fixed all the problems of SIII, like previously said.

It was great to search for the 108SoDs instead of everyone joins together.. Especially since I recruited Viki early in the game, though I hardly used her...I was in desperate need of potch.

Actually I though cutting the party nos. was a good thing... I didn't need to buy so much armor, upgrading weapons...etc etc..

I was quite impressed with the voice acting, it was annoying. It anticipated it to be horrible and over-dramatic.

Mostly, I though the move away for Harmonia was a refreshing twist.. And darn I love the sea.. I kinda liked the ship battles~ ^-^

I thought it would be even better if it was longer though.

Overall, I thought it was a good game actually. Many may disagree, and I actually liked the Hero's character. It was great.
mishia

Arcania Orion

109 Potch
89 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About the voice acting part, I meant that it WASN'T annoying. Sorry about the typos, and ignore any bad spelling, I can't spell!
Jeanemon

23356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, I can't think of anything besides the lack of the proper dice game, and Ritapon (Which made me want to slaughter untold children) that made the game bad. I really liked it.

The music, as many people mentioned, was awesome. The opening scene was great. Not to stab Suikoden III more than it deserved, but I dislike having full animated openings unless there are going to be animated cuscenes inside of the game. Lets me down.

I loved the character models, expecially when you zoom in close. They're pretty detailed. The Hero's front profile did leave something to be desired, but his side profile was very good. I also didn't like when he woke up on the island. His eyes open one fourth of the way just looked odd. But the brooding look on his face was right on. There was something about his lips, too, that drove me nuts. They were either too pale, or too small.

The Ship HQ. I loved it. In a game with so much water, it was the only HQ that made sense. And that was an effing huge ship. I also liked sailing, because it made sense. Island Nations. Not Continent Nations. Island. Islands are usually small, with a lot of space between them, unless they're chains of islands.

The one thing I missed from Suikoden III was the all the support people. Pretty much everyone could come along on your adventures. This time, there are more usless characters in your army. Like Oleg. And Harturo. They do nothing, and are usless in the rune cannon battles.

Duels were much better. I loved how when both parties would guard, they'd just circle each other warily. Little things.

Long live the voice acting. First game where the voices didn't make me want to kill mass amounts of people. Except Rita, Noah, and Rene. But I never played Rita-Pong, or Noah's card game. I loved the little things, like the way Akagi spoke after the Hero used the rune for the fourth time. The way he spoke just... made him sound more real. Lino's was great, too. And Graham Clay was such a badass with his voice.

I liked Teds voice, too. He sounded like a little posh boy. XD
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm...there was a lot to like about the game, but of course the only reason I didn't like it that much was because it lacked heart.

The graphics were great, very clean and colorful. The spell effects in battle especially were very nice to look at.

The new Headquarters was a plus...I always found the idea of having a floating HQ to be very cool. The ability to use it in battle was pretty awesome too.

The voice acting was good enough...it added some extra depth to the game and helped me get to know the characters better (still, if it factored into the decrease in cutscenes, maybe it ISN'T a good thing. >_>)

The character designs themselves were great, there were very few duds (unlike Suikoden 3 which had its fair share).

The battle system itself, while a bit bland, was very polished and easy to get used to.

Ted. :D

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

you know.....i was wandering why in Suikoden 4 the True Rune goes to the left hand and not on the palm....

but in the previous games.......
all the True Runes goes on the right hand and on the palm.....

what the heck happened to them.......

I am 99 percent sure that the runes went on the back of the hand in all the other games (well, at least it was IMPLIED that way). Plus...I'm not sure if they went on the left hands in the other games...though I'm willing to bet that one of the Suikoden III heroes had one on their left hands.

Oh, and sorry for the double post, I just saw the other message. :mrgreen:

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked the slash rune. I thought that was really nice.

I loved the ship battles. They were fun. I thought it was really great idea.

The music was pretty good. I really liked the opening theme thing. It was really good.

I liked the graphics a lot. The characters lokked more like real people.

There were a lot of good things about this game. I don't really think this game is a bummer.
Chris McDohl

Chris

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no... it goes on the palm and on the right hand
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The slash rune made life easier...

Earlier Viki is good...

Battles went by faster than S3's battles

Unlimited items. Suikoden's storage space always gave me problem during the earlier parts of the game when storehouses weren't available...

Jizo clocks. Man, they rock. I always thought Suikoden was lame to not possess any reviving items besides sacrificial jizo, which was pretty much useless since accessories are mainly used for accessories.

The ability to use items from bag in battle.

Magic combos are back, so that's good.

Yeah, Ritapon rocks...

More interesting duel animations

Very fast running...

Weapon changing appearance is good too.

Voice acting. Most RPGs now have voice acting, and i think Suikoden shouldn't be lacking in that area...
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What Suikoden IV did right, eh? Well, let's take a look...

Graphics. I don't play too many of the lastest games (and nothing that'd be considered graphical masterpieces, for example, I play Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it's hardly the pinnacle of graphical prowess, eh?) so I was pleased with Suikoden IV's graphics. And they even crammed in a few hidden surprises, like the bottle of Highland liquor on Colton's ship.

The duels looked great in this game, you could see why Konami liked to showcase them, for sure. One minor nitpick was the lack of lines each opponent had, Brandeau said the exact same thing four times in a row, kinda takes the surprise out of it.

Rune combos are always neat, though wasn't this a Crowely innovation? Well, I'm sure he came up with it before the time-period anyway. I think. I hope.

The music. It beats most of Suikoden III's into the ground at least. And some tunes, especially the coba ones were great, so that gets the thumbs up from me.

Battles (in general). Speedy and fun for the most part, only the four party member system and the horrible amount of random sea battles blemish this.

Interesting story, that is until it seemed to have been cut off by an ax-blow at the end. Hopefully just a device to allow us to learn more about Kooluk in a sequel.

Harder to find Stars of Destiny. Really, would I ever recruit Travis if I didn't wander to the back of the Obel Ruins on the off-chance there was someone hiding there?

Unite Attack celebrations at the end of battle. Great idea, especially with the Ted and Aldo ones. Still, there needed to be a lot more.

That's all I've got right now, but I'm sure more will come to me when I replay the game. (currently rushing through Suikoden I, to upload to Suikoden II)
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To start i would like to say i really liked this game and only when people said they hated it is when i started to hate it.

First really liked the duel system i think it was better then Suikoden 3's because there was no beserk gauge and in Suikoden 4 i thought that the things that the enemy said were easier to catch on to then in any other Suikoden game. Also it was when i learned that a Wild Attack canceled out a Attack, so then i really started to like it even more.

Second would have to be the music, because right when i started to play the game and hear the major battle theme i already knew that i would want to get into major battles really badly. When i got to Razril i coudnt stop myself from whistling. The deserted island music also just made for some reason made me think little mermaid. And especially the music when gathering up people to get on your ship to escape Obel was just great. Nay my most favorite town music was awesome. It sounded like it was right for all the older people living in Nay the most boring place to live in the world. I liked Illuya, El-Eal, Middleport and Pirates nest (which made me think Caleria for some reason) were also great too.

Third would have to be the Major Battles, becuase i really liked the music as explained upove, and the rune cannons were cool and i had no one die throughout the entire game, infact i didnt know people could die till i saw a person on Suikosource report it. I really wanted to get into major battles badly later in the game when there were barely any. Then i found that if you talk to Elenor that she will ask if you want to train for sea battles, i loved them and always did them when i was bored.

The graphics was pretty good, even though people think it was a bad thing to put on a Suikoden game put i liked it, but not the running.

I personally liked the talking i thought it put in a different touch o the game. I thought it made the game better, but im probably then only one who thinks that.

Thats all i have for now but i will have more later. And if i said that i hated these things or hated the game i have changed my mind, so dont listen to them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: