Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Editorial: Mechanics of Runic Power
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Editorial: Mechanics of Runic Power Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Article URL--

http://suikox.com/ed/runes70213.php

Please discuss the article here...

Thanks to Kalidor for his work!!
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Note to Vextor: The link at the bottom of the editorial links to the Luca Blight article.

I think the theory is a solid one, and would be inclined to agree with what it proposes. I especially enjoyed the aspect on True Runes, which I think adequately explains the nature of True Runes (as much as it can with the given information, anyways).

Well done, Kalidor.^^

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zonder, you are too quick! You see, I had to first create this thread before I can get the correct URL for the link.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, well Kalidor allowed me to read this a few days ago, so I just skimmed it today. I'm only quick because I cheated. ^_^

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There seems to be some character problems (as in the text, typing kinds).

As far as the general theory goes, it is a sound explanation for the events we have seen and satisfactorily explains the link between rune and bearer. I can't find fault with it at this point.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I believe something like MS Word was used to type it. It tends to mess things up!

Edit: I think I fixed all of em now.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did this idea come from the thread Puu created by any chance, Kalidor, or were you already thinking of this when he made the thread?

As for the characters:

Paragraph 3 wrote:

Depending on the bearer's ability

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Did this idea come from the thread Puu created by any chance, Kalidor, or were you already thinking of this when he made the thread?

Actually yes Yvl, it did come out of that topic. I was reading through the posts and contemplating a post to reply to it. It got me thinking about runes and then I just ended up going into more depth about it, more than I really wanted to put in a post since it turned out to be -very- long. I decided to expand on it and submit it. But yep, you got the inspiration!
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OKAY!! All letter strangenesses fixed... I think.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good job on the editorial, and I definitely agree to the fire rune example, as it seem to be the common idea in Puu's thread too, that people basically learn to use the rune and develop from there.

However, one thing that hasn't been covered is the non-elemental and non-True Runes. It's easy to explain about fire usage (heat up a pot of water, control shape of fire, etc), but what about for example Violence Rune or Falcon Rune or Turtle Rune or Godspeed Rune when there isn't really anything to "master"?

I'm especially interested to see what Falcon Rune can do in "Suikoden real life" situation as it won't really make sense if someone can't use the Falcon 'technique' when they don't equip Falcon Rune. It would make more sense that Valeria can still perform that technique with or without Falcon Rune. So what do you think about that case?

Do you also think that there are runes that are purely gameplay and not really applicable in "Suikoden real life" situation? Particularly the Fortune and Prosperity Rune. Any comments on how the mechanics work for those runes?

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice work sir! However I am also curious as to what the explanation is for skill and weapon runes. :P
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Nice work sir! However I am also curious as to what the explanation is for skill and weapon runes. :P

That they're not Runes at all.

Skill and Weapon Runes, or so the theory goes, are just regular skills that due to gameplay limitations were forced into Rune slots. For example, the bearer of the Falcon Rune, as it were, could probably figure out how to hit someone with a sword more than once with the aid of a Rune. It's something I'd like to see rectified in future games.

Kalidor's article, on the other hand, or so the theory goes, rocks hard and is one of the better ones I've seen in yonks.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, yes me likes this article, well done Kalidor ^.^

It's a very interesting and well thought out theory and i tend to agree with it pretty much entirely.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would speculate that Technique Runes do actually serve a purpose beyond gameplay.

In that sense I would say that they too have to be mastered, which is why most technique runes are dedicated to certain kinds of weapons. In the case of these runes, the physically 'empower' the bearer to move quickly and strike harder than what a normal person is actually capable of. Because the effect of this is often so intense, it many times will leave the bearer unbalanced due to just how much energy was put into the attack.

Runes like, say, the Titan Rune are simple enough that anyone who can wield a two-handed sword can pick up on the technique and use the rune to its full potential. Runes like the Falcon Rune are based on long, rigorous training under Roundier Hala to learn that particular style. Which means that even though Flik might also wield a one-handed sword, he couldn't just grab a Falcon Rune and be beating people up like Valeria, Belcoot, and others.

As for status runes... I would say those are essentially what the Runes are said to do. They work magic in a way that is a bit harder to see manifest, but in many ways also enhance the person's natural abilities (Godspeed), improve the circumstances of the bearer (Prosperity), or provide some of protection (Wall).

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good article I enjoyed, I'm going to adjust and rethink a bit about my game and plot more about true runes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: