Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How Do You Study?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: How Do You Study? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do not know if this goes here as it is related to education, but then again it is kinda personal details too. So therefore, I'm going to go with the latter. Mods, if you feel this should be in the Personal Details section, feel free to move it.

So yes, as for the topic itself, how do you study? I'll give some sort of guide questions:

1. Underwhat time and place are you most comfortable studying?
2. Do you study with music? television? etc.
3. Do you learn more if you study in a group with your friends as compared to studying alone?

As for me, I typically study every night, in my room. I choose my room as a convenient place to study because I feel most comfortable there. Also, since the computer was just moved to the living room, it kinda takes off the temptation off surfing the 'net instead.

In regards to question #2, I think I'm one of the few who needs both television and music to study. I need music to study since it keeps me awake and focused for some reason. I've heard people who play classical music have a more comfortable time studying, but I find this especially wrong in me - it makes me sleep for some unknown reason. I mostly just put on my iPod at shuffle and listen to whatever pops out, soft or loud. As for television, I have the television on while studying so that my eyes have something to look if I pause for some time. I find that a very still environment around me is another cause for drowsiness, so I need something moving in the background to keep me awake.

And, in addition, I sometimes need food to study. If I just ate, it's fine, but if I haven't and I've reached the 2-hour mark of studying, I usually take a break and eat something. ;)

And as for #3, I definitely learn more in a group. I find it easier to study with friends since for some reason, it's always fun since there're alot of you to ask questions for review at one another.

Well, that was long... what about you guys?

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anytime is fine as long as i have the peace and quiet to study. There is nothing worse than being interupted when you are trying to concentrate. I would usually study in my room though.

Sometimes i would study with my favourite music playing in the background. Funny enough i find it easier to remember things if i forget them just by thinking of the song that was playing at the time.

3. Do you learn more if you study in a group with your friends as compared to studying alone?

I always studied alone, group study never really worked with me.....or my firends for that matter......we would just end up watching TV or playing the PlayStation or head off down to the pub.....so studying alone is much better!
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't study much, and usually at all. It's a bad habit I picked up since my memory somehow keeps more than I ever intend it to. I don't usually think about studying until final exams come around, but by then if I don't know it, then I'm screwed anyway. When I do study, it's mostly massive amounts of memorization. For those times, I will answer your questions.

1. Anytime, in my apartment. I get distracted easily so having people and things around, even if they don't interact with me, doesn't help.

2. Can't do it with those things going. Like I said, I get distracted easily so I will start watching the TV or listening to the music instead of study.

3. I don't like doing anything in groups and my way of studying is far different than most so it just wouldn't work well.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh jeez, I probably should be doing that, shouldn't I?

It depends on the subject, I usually do it while at school though. For my history classes I study in my reading area or on the couch where I usually sleep (since I have to climb a flight of stairs to get to the reading area.)

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used the method of reverse osmosis. That entails placing the book on the table and then resting my head on top of the book, allowing the information to travel up from the book and into my skull. It wasn't the most effective method of studying, but it was all I knew.

Sadly, high school greatly under prepared me for college. I won't say that I was genius level smart, but I was smart enough where I didn't need to study in high school to get A's and B's, so I never really learned good study habits. I found out when I went to college, I actually needed to study and I didn't really know how to look for just the important stuff, so I'd be overwhelmed by everything and just give up. That is how someone graduates from high school with a cumulative 3.75 GPA but barely gets through college with a cumulative 2.13 GPA. Ah well, graduating is graduating.

~Uguu!~
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm such a a last minute studier.

Last minute, at my desk in the class, before the bell rings. I'm in a stressful rush so things stay in my brain easier.. and leave quickly after the test.

I guess... the sound of everyone else freaking out? I'd probably study well if I had music too, as I do my work while listening to some, but I don't bring my MP3 player to school.

I think I study better alone. Then at least I know what to concentrate on, instead of having to do one thing at a time for others that don't understand sometihng you do.. you know?

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1) I prefer studying in the evening or at night, at least when I actually study
2) I must have music going when I do anything academic
3) Alone.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really study. Most of my revision is done a few minutes before an exam, and whatever is forced upon me in lessons. I don't really learn by reading; I have to discuss, and debate to even remotely remember what the hell I'm supposed to do.

When forced to revise, I almost definately have to have music. I associate songs wit subjects, and when stuck run songs through my head to stimulate memory.

When I have to revise I generally just talk over stuff with friends.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was and am not one of those guys that can stick their head into a book for several days in preperation for an exam. Usually I just learn it in classes before hand. If not then I go into the exam blind!

When I do truly sit down and study, usually some quiet music will do wonders, but nothing else.

I'm pretty sure most people learn better on their own in comparison to groups of friends, friends never help you concentrate on anything in life do they? :P
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I prefer to study at night. I can study in my bedroom, but when it comes down to practicing math or science problems, I like to be at the college itself to help me keep focus.

I love to study with the music on. It helps keep me focus and in a way gives me a pace to study to.

I can do both, but it depends on what is being studied. If it requires memorization then I would prefer to be alone. If it involves problem-solving then I would prefer to be with a group.

I also find it easier to study if I take breaks. They say you pretty much memorize the beginning stuff and the ending stuff when you study. It is the in-between stuff that you tend to easily forget. So I would study for a bit and then take a break. I also like to reward myself with my studying. I guess, it is a way of positive reinforcement. If I study and finish a required chapter, I take the break and do something like play some video games, or get a nice cup of hot cocoa, or maybe a cup of ice cream. It helps to keep me motivated to set small goals and when I achieve them, reward and take that earned break. Of course, though, I don't want till the very night before the exam to study unless I feel confident with the material or it depends on the material.

Finally, there are also different techniques I use when I study. One is condensing notes or textbook. This one is very useful and learned it from my professors and notice it does the job well. I re-read my notes and write on only one sheet of paper a condensed version of the notes. What happens is that you start to organize what you need to know versus what you already know. It also helps keep you focused. A lot of students know they have a unit exam and beg the teacher to ask what is on the exam because they have forgot the lessons. Organizing and re-writing your notes or textbook gets rid of the problem and ensures confidence when studying.

I also do other tricks that bring out how I learn best. For example, I am a visual learner. Instead of pouring over chemical equations or biological terms of the human body, I draw images of the what I am learning. Drawing it helps me memorize it and keeps me focus and helps me remember it better because I can visual see it. I also like to read out loud at times difficult concepts like theoretical physics because hearing the words echoing back at me helps me stay focus and helps in understanding concept and memorization. Also listening to music can help the material be better memorized since you can picture in your mind's eye a historical battle and have the characters fight to a favorite song of yours--kind of making a musical video in your head of what you need to know. I found it real useful to memorizing dates, history, mythology, philosophy, or even scientific concepts.

As a teacher, I try to teach my students these techniques and I have heard a lot of my students using and liking what works best for them and discover that studying doesn't really have to be that much of a chore if you make it a bit more interesting and fun. It then makes the studying a piece of cake.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I usually study in my room, at around 8 P.M. or so. I find it easier to study outside of my room though, because my room is small. However, I prefer to stay in my room because I don't want to get distracted by other people when I study.

I can study even with noise around like television and radio, but I prefer not to have any noise at all. Sometimes, I do study with music and television but I usually can't concentrate as much as I would if there was no noise at all.

Like I said earlier, I prefer to study without any disturbances. I like to study on my own, without anyone to talk to. I find it easier that way, and I can understand what I'm studying better if I work alone.
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Usually in my room. I feel the most comfortable in my own space, so I find that I don't study as well in others. As for time, usually in the morning. The evening is my recreational time. So it has been, so it ever shall be.

No, when I actually sit down to learn things, I need silence. I can be distracted very easily. If I was doing writing, I'd usually have music. It helps me construct sentences betterer. :wink:

I find studying alone to be the most effective. Once again, I need silence to study properly, so a group of people exchanging questions and notes wouldn't help me in the least.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Under what time and place are you most comfortable studying?
Well that really is a trick question. I usually have two days to do my homework. When it's the second day, I can't really focus, and I tend to put it off until the next day which is at home at my little desk.

I find, when I totally slack off, that I am 140% more focused when its 10 minutes before the bell rings, then I am 48 hours before the assignment is due. Thus, whatever I can do in little time I save until the very end.

When it comes to reading its a different story. I'm a slow reader, so I need plenty of time to read at home. When it comes to books, I need noise, Television, and chaos around me so I can stay focus, its just my habit. I find if it's to quite while I'm reading, I get bored and I read the same sentence over and over until I fall asleep.

What’s weird is, when I am at my colleges library (I am now taking a college class), I can focus regardless of the subject.

Yes, but only when it comes to reading novels. Like I said before, otherwise I lose interest and start to day dream

It's not true for History Text books however. For text books I need the uttermost silence. I love history, and with so much going on, if I lose a thought, even for a second, I can lose total interest and have to start over reading. Unless I’m taking notes.

For big tests, this is what I do:
1: Invite a couple of friends from my classes, to study with me at lunch (on me, or else they won't do it).

2. Go during break/lunch and ask little crap that I can't get help from the teacher and stuff.

3. Review at home then study a little before the test.

For everything else, I totally wing it. I really have terrible study habits. I wish I could go home and study what I learned at school, I just can't. I don't know where to start, I have lack at interest, and I don't have the time.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cloudless Eye

Advance Pawns

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I WERE to study:

I would probably be studying in the library at school.. Mainly because if I study in my room, I'll just play vids or watch TV or something. And both of those factors are a HEAVY influence on how well I study.

I love to listen to the music I like on a daily basis when I'm studying. Some people say a nice, easy going song is the type you should listen to, but I find anything that gets me thinking, or that I just plain like, will do. I mean, how can you have any fun listening to something that you feel like throwing at the wall? :roll:

Lol, hellz no. If I'm with other people; I'll just talk with them the whole time and completly ignore the task at hand. If I had to pick, of course I'd pick to study with my friends, but just for the one reason is it isn't as boring.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Id like to say that id have the easiest time studying if i had a desk with no computer and a comfy chair....but thats just speculation hehe. I have the easiest time studying stuff in my room when i am under a calm of mind without much distractions especially there must be no computer in my area.

I usually listen to music, keeps me from chewing my nails or just stops my fits of idle thinking.

Like some others have said, when i go to a friends to study etc, it always just turns out into a video game session or something extremely far from the real purpose lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: