Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

E10+ makes a debuet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: E10+ makes a debuet Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thougt I'd bring it to suikox seeing as how its brother is going well at suikosource can i link there?http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2861

anway there is a new game rating now, its called E10+, its to bridge the gap between the E (or EC) games to T, some games that are currently out that would get this rating are, Jax 3 and SuperSmash Brothers.
for some light offical into see the're offical page
http://www.esrb.com/esrbratings_guide.asp

anway what do you think? will you feel funny buying a game with a big old E on it? do you think Suikoden will continue to be a T rated game if they continue what they do? I saw some good arugments that it won't. the only problem is what consitiutes for "mature content", mature content is just sexual refferances, it has nothing to do with deep issues that you may find in any suikoden game, like tactics used in the second and third game during the war.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, I hope that Nintendo doesn't give the New Zelda an 'E10+' rating just because it would be less kiddy than an 'E' and more PC than a 'T'.
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard about this it sounds cool and i cant wait to get my first E10+ game.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's sarcasm, right?

The ESRB is corrupt. They literally don't even play the games they rate. They just watch a video of what the game's developers say is the most violent and sexual footage and then arbitrarily assign a rating.

Gradius 5 got a 'T". I emailed them for an explanation but far be it from them to reply with anything more than an auto reply.

Given all that, when it comes to the new E10 rating I say "who gives a *M-rated responce*"
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, this is all crap. The rating system is a joke, I don't trust it anymore. (not that I care, I'm well old enough to play any game anyway)

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea i pretty much agree with the last few posts. Nobody really cares about the rating system other than the M (mature) rating. The only people who use it are parents with young kids in which the system is beneficial in my view. But most parents will buy a kid any game as long as it is not a M rated game. Notice however i said most parents. There are those ridiculous overprotective parents who will buy nothing other than an E game for their child until they are old enough to drive and buy it themselves, my cousin for instance, which is just stupid in some instances since the only reason it gets a teen rating could be for "stylized violence" or something insignificant in my opinion.

The only other use for these ratings could be for older gamers who pick up a game that might otherwise seem childish only to see the M rating possibly prompting renting or buying it. This is not to say that all M games are enjoyable by any means, but rather that those games are focused on a more mature crowd and the rating makes it easier to pinpoint those such games.

Well i have gone well off topic from the original subject of E 10+ rating. I think the rating is just another thing to slap on the box which for a short while will make people say, "Oh what is that?". Games that recieve this rating will be those which obviously don't need to be teen and those which were once rated E, but now those in a higher power making these decisions say are too "violent" in the mildest sense of the word for young gamers.

Well i hope you have enjoyed my rambling views on game ratings and such. And if it wasn't evident in my post i hold the ratings in very low regard.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's right. I've worked in a game store for a few years and during that time it was apparent that in most people's eyes there were two ratings, 'M' and not 'M'. Every once in a long while there'd be a 'T' weary parent and I'd have to explain that Smash Bros or Ratchet and Clank would be fine for their kid, and I guess in that respect this new rating could help. But I think it would be better to just rate games like that as 'E'. Ratchet and Clank got the rating because it has guns in it. But they are big comical guns and 100 times tamer than what you see on Saturday morning cartoons. And Smash Bros? Unless pokemon abuse is becoming a problem, this game deserves an 'E'.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If there is money to be made in the ESRB, then i'm in. :P Doing nothing at all for money seems to be fun. Would you believe that on the cover of the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver PS CD, the rating on it was E(-veryone) ?! Not kidding. Who knows what they're doing / thinking...

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If there is money to be made in the ESRB, then i'm in. Doing nothing at all for money seems to be fun. Would you believe that on the cover of the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver PS CD, the rating on it was E(-veryone) ?! Not kidding. Who knows what they're doing / thinking...

A question, where did you buy it? if you bought it when you're at your old home in Jakarta (umm...1 dollar?) that's not the ESRB problem (I'm sure you know what I mean :mrgreen: )

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't really care ethier way. I can pretty much buy any game I want at my age and ratings have ceased to be a big thing unless I am buying a game for someone else. (And even then, rarely, because if I'm buying a game for someone, I usually rent it and play through to make sure it's OK first.) It's just like the movies - once you're old enough to get into anything, the ratings kind of stop being a big deal.

I don't really see the need for another rating between "Everyone" and "Teen", but if there is a gap and this helps address it, then I don't see a problem with it. Frankly I never understood why they changed Kids to Adults to Everyone (because K-A isn't everyone) and created the EC label. But meh, that's just me.

I really think if they're going to redo the ratings system, then they should go with numbers which is much more understandable than "E+10": For example, having 5+, 10+, 13+, and 18+ (AO and Mature, IMO, combined into 1). That's a LOT easier to understand than "E+10" or "M" is.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scheherazade wrote:

A question, where did you buy it? if you bought it when you're at your old home in Jakarta (umm...1 dollar?) that's not the ESRB problem (I'm sure you know what I mean :mrgreen: )

.....................You, sir, have deducted correctly...... :oops:
ehehehe, piracy dominates in Jakarta!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh wow, this one was a bumpy ride.

anway um, gee ok, I get it. simmer down. I was just wonderng things, like if the Next Suikoden will be an E10+, or if it were older if any others would be (Maybe the second?)

But yeah, they need more piroites, or nail the kinks out, there are many more variables for content. then again we need to take into account "personal maturity", so maby one 11 year old is mature in various places, and another is a 7 year old in the things that they would understand.

anway check out the other replies. I think that one went better. Its just I figured most of us here enjoy games that are in the higher ratings. I have some e-gams...but one is horrilbe (Animorphs)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing wrong with E games. Nintendo makes incredible E games. Nightmere of Druaga is an E game but a kid would never play that game. It simply didn't need any violence or sex.

I never even bother to look at the rating of a game. It really makes no difference to me. And it shouldn't because I'm 23.

As for Suikoden's future ratings, I'd be money it will always be 'T'. This new E10 rating seems like it was created for "comic voilence".

Last edited by Mad Mage on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i see what you're talking about. There are plenty of enjoyable "E" rated games.

But the point was pretty much that nowadays ratings have pretty much lost meaning, since underage kids have go off playing GTA games and so forth. the ratings have little impact not on whether the parents will stop their children from buying such games, but on whether the vendors themselves will stop selling them to such minors.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That depends on what age you're talking about. When I worked in game retail, at least 80% of parents would let thier teenage kid play M rated games. But 10 or 11 year olds were a different story. Very few young kids had permission to rent or buy M rated games. While I strongy disagree with many aspects of the ESRB, its rating do help prevent young children from playing M rated games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: