Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rules of Suikoden Character Names
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
This would have course render the names "Katarina Cott" and "Lazlo En Kuldes" (adopted kids don't generally take on their biological parents last names) complete fanon, right?

Was Katarina adopted? I forgot. I thought it was simply the case that Glen didn't know. hmm, yeah I guess you're right. But knowing how Katarina is so dangerously "electra," she'd probably pick up her dad's name if given a chance.

In the case of Lazlo, he'd probably never take the "En Kuldez" name, but if he wanted to I'm sure Lino would gladly give it to him.

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Well is Augustine actually an aristocrat? Is it actually official information he is? If not then hes probably given himself the name to fit in with his narcisst friends.

[quote='John Layfield"]
Wonder why you think Augustine might be a faker, however. I'm still wondering if Gustav gave himself the Pendragon name after becoming President of Tinto, it doesn't seem to be mentioned in any Suikoden II material.[/quote]

It's highly likely that Augustine is an aristocrat, but also the only official information about his background is that he won a "handsome man" contest sponsored by Vincent Du Boule in the year 469 (yeah, how sad that I have this memorized). That's what made him famous. Otherwise there's no info about him-- nothing about what nation he is from, why he is wanderinga round in Zexen... etc. In the case of other narcissists like Vincent, Simone, Esmeralda... etc, their background is typically given-- such as "a SME aristocrat" or something. Augustine is given none of that detail. However, he still is _likely_ a genuine aristocrat.

As for Gustav Pendragon, I did think what you were thinking as well, John-- so I checked official sources. The first time he was called "Gustav Pendragon" is in the Suikoden Encyclopedia, published in 2000 (two years before Suikoden 3 was released in Japan). It seems like he's just one of those characters who had last names but was never mentioned during the game (such as the Windamier family). I have no idea WHY Gustav has a last name though, seeing that he's just a mining guild master... which sounds like something a commoner would be doing. It is an odd name though, considering it probably comes from Uther Pendragon and the whole Arthurian stuff... and there's really nothing Arthurian about Gustav.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but I suppose it's also due to the fact that the Tinto Republic has become much more than a mining nation.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Was Katarina adopted? I forgot. I thought it was simply the case that Glen didn't know. hmm, yeah I guess you're right. But knowing how Katarina is so dangerously "electra," she'd probably pick up her dad's name if given a chance.

I assume so. She had to be raised by someone who wasn't Glen. It doesn't sound like something you'd forget. It's not like losing your car keys.

Quote:
As for Gustav Pendragon, I did think what you were thinking as well, John-- so I checked official sources. The first time he was called "Gustav Pendragon" is in the Suikoden Encyclopedia, published in 2000 (two years before Suikoden 3 was released in Japan). It seems like he's just one of those characters who had last names but was never mentioned during the game (such as the Windamier family). I have no idea WHY Gustav has a last name though, seeing that he's just a mining guild master... which sounds like something a commoner would be doing. It is an odd name though, considering it probably comes from Uther Pendragon and the whole Arthurian stuff... and there's really nothing Arthurian about Gustav.

Hmm. I suppose as Tinto existed as some sort of independent body prior to joining Jowston (I still say it's Grasslandian in geographical terms), the Pendragon name could have been in use for the head of Tinto, with it morphing into the office as head of the mining guild as Tinto continued to wreak havoc on their territory with their strip mining fetish.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't Konrad raise Katarina? He was a retired Rune Sage in Razril, and raised her to be his protégé. Or did I completely misunderstand that?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konrad used to be the magical instructor of the Gaien Marine Knights, he even fought in the disasterous Battle of El-Eal between Gaien and Kooluk back in the day. (You know, the one where Troy owned everyone)

It seems likely that the mention you're referencing is just that Katarina trained under him when she was a young nooblet. Although I haven't booted up the game to check or anything like that.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, looking at the official guides... it says that Katarina's mother never told Glen that she got a daughter from her. There's no info whether Katarina had a separate "step-father" either... it may just be that her mother raised her, while telling Katarina that Glen is her dad.

Konrad was just Katarina's teacher when it came to magic-- nothing more.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Well, looking at the official guides... it says that Katarina's mother never told Glen that she got a daughter from her. There's no info whether Katarina had a separate "step-father" either... it may just be that her mother raised her, while telling Katarina that Glen is her dad.

Konrad was just Katarina's teacher when it came to magic-- nothing more.

Well, if Glen just went for the drunken one night stand or whatever, there's even less of a chance she'd be Katarina Cott. She'd take her mother's surname, and because she likely didn't have one would be just Katarina.

To have the Cott surname, without, you know, making a surname up, which I assume you just don't really do in the Suikoden world, surely Glen would need to be legally recorded as Katarina's dad, say, in Gaien.

If he was, well, he'd know. If he wasn't, well, then, no Cott for young Katarina.

Also, surnames are rare enough that if a second Cott turned up on Razril, Glen might at least raise an eyebrow.

EDIT: Especially if he got it for exceptional military service rather than actually being a noble of some sort. (If he was, why would the Vingerhuts run the island and have the Cott [singular] as just an officer in charge of some grunts.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder at what age Marine Knight training begins. If the fostering starts at a young enough age, she could have been essentially raised by Glen, or another officer. But considering the intro to tactics, they probably don't start training until early teens.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another reason why I enjoy the Suikoden franchise much more than the other rpg franchises from Japan. I never saw into the names other than just being names. These rules of naming gives the Suikoden universe even more depth.

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh....I had always assumed everyone had a last name and such, but that only the important people's were ever given. Interested Read there.

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:

To have the Cott surname, without, you know, making a surname up, which I assume you just don't really do in the Suikoden world, surely Glen would need to be legally recorded as Katarina's dad, say, in Gaien.

Yes, that is indeed correct! Hmm... *checks site*

Oh... it does say "Katarina Cott* there...

*Erases last name*

Sorry Katarina :(
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the case of Elven names, do we know what constitutes a clan? For example, would all the elves from Lukiae Ende Towayo (I had to look up the spelling here, and was quite proud when I realized I had only misspelled "Lukiae") in Suikoden I be from the same clan? I guess what I'm asking is, does a clan constitute a village, or are their multiple clans to one village?

If that were the case, than we could accurately guess that both Stallion and Sylvina are of the Laviankaana clan.

I find it interesting that we can almost give Kirkis' mother's full name (Shana *unknown* Ques Laviankaana), even though she hasn't appeared anywhere, but the other elves have only their first name available. Of course, Shana's family and clan name could be something else entirely. I imagine we have no idea how marriage plays into naming (such as if Shana was from a different clan and married into Kirkis' family and/or clan and took those names, respectively), and other such things that might result in Shana having changed her name.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unfortunately no further info on Elven names. The explanation is only given once, and there's no detail about what exactly "clan name" refers to. I guess we can make something up...

My assumption would be though, given how Elves are so xenophobic, that there'd be only one clan living in one place. So Stallion and Sylvina may all be a Laviankaana elf.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

It seems like he's just one of those characters who had last names but was never mentioned during the game (such as the Windamier family).

I'm pretty sure the Windamier name is brought up in Suikoden 2. I'm enough of a Klaus fangirl fanboy to remember, but there's a chance I'm wrong.

^Actual quote!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When Klaus presents himself to Riou in Two River he uses his full name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: