Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What nonhuman race(s) do you want to dominate in Suikoden VI?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What Demi-human race do I want to see in Suikoden VI? How about all of them? I was pleased to see Landis in Suikoden III as well as Twaikin. I like it when they take past races and bring them to new games. I think seeing a few representatives of each would be quite nifty.

If there was one I'd choose, it'd be tough. I am quite partial to Nay-Kobolds because I really love Chiepoo and he was really a good character. I don't know what Suikoden IV you all played, but Chiepoo was a very competant fighter. Admitedly Nalkul and Champo were less than adequate, but Chiepoo made up for them. He was more useful than Selma or Paula by a long shot. But in terms of an overall most useful race, Kobolds and Ducks are very competant. Kobolds always tend to be brute strength while Ducks were definitely more balanced fighters. Sgt. Joe was quite versed in water magic and saved Hugo quite a few times. I think Suikoden VI should revisit most of the old races.

I'm personally against the mermaids because they were done so poorly in Suikoden IV. I'm totally in agreeance with Sophita. If they can stand being out of water for long periods of time, then why not pick up a polearm or equip a rune and help out? For god's sake, feeble little Eugene took up fighting, but a mermaid can't? Instead they all cower behind a very useless accessory store counter? Screw that. If the mermaids come back, they're fricking fighting.

I was disappointed with the Beavers, as only 1 or 2 were worth while and even then they were only useful for a small portion of the game (outside the large scale battles) I can't remember which one, but the one with glasses (who helped destroy the dam) was pretty good with runes. And Moroon, the rock and roll one was good for a laugh and some cool music. I was rather disappointed by them as a race though.

I'm not keen on elves, but a Suikoden without them would really not feel like a Suikoden. Even though III only had Roland and Nei, they were there. Nei was probably the best looking Elf the series has created. I see her as the entire race's saving grace. Ever since Suikoden I, they've not made a decent elf though (Aside from Nei). None that I liked as much as Kirkis. Oh well, no big deal, Elves suck. (I'm only listed as an elf here for the magic boost!)

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I would like to see a new race entirely, but if any had to return I have always been partial to Kobolds. As the previous poster stated, the Beavers were a bit disappointing to me. Maybe, they could bring the Lizards back if the environment of the region allowed for it. Maybe can even have another Lycanthrope sighting. A mixture of them all would work for me, but at least continue to introduce new demi-humans. That has become a staple of the series so far.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well each game had made an attempt to introduce a new demi-human race in the mix, some succeeded and some failed miserably. I imagine the series will continue with the trend and promote more diverse and unique races. I don't know about you - but I feel that the population of the suiko-world is diverse enough, cat-people, dog-people, dwarves, elves, beaver-people, duck-people, lizard-people, bat-people! Garrrr! Ah..alright, well if they feel the need to continue with this then I'd like to see some more functional races. The Kobolds and Elves are the only two races IMO that have proved themselves to be more than just one-hit wonders. In the future I would like to see some sort of minotaur race, or perhaps a race of bird people (basically wingers w/ bird wings as apposed to black bad wings), those might be interesting. If they set it in a snowy area perhaps a tribe of yettis (very FFIII (US) ), or some sort of Bear/Fox people.

I wish they would flesh the dwarves/elves out more - give them a functioning society and more motivation than shooting bows and digging holes.

I hate you Onimaru.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I wish they would flesh the dwarves/elves out more - give them a functioning society and more motivation than shooting bows and digging holes

I disagree. I hate that dwarves and elves are always in every RPG and Fantasy story ever told. I'm tired of it and I would love Suikoden to leave them without any depth because in all honesty they're not worth as much attention as they garner from the fanboys. Elves and Dwarves make every RPG just like all the others because they are rarely depicted in a seriously unique way.

I think a shamanic people reminscent of the american indians would be a good addition. Totem like people based on bears or eagles or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rezard

215744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron wrote:
I disagree. I hate that dwarves and elves are always in every RPG and Fantasy story ever told. I'm tired of it and I would love Suikoden to leave them without any depth because in all honesty they're not worth as much attention as they garner from the fanboys. Elves and Dwarves make every RPG just like all the others because they are rarely depicted in a seriously unique way.

I think a shamanic people reminscent of the american indians would be a good addition. Totem like people based on bears or eagles or something like that.

Elfs and dwarves are in all games because they are interesting, the elfs are racist and arrogant, while the dwarves are greedy and stubborn, they have interesting traits, very different from than the unoriginal demi-animal people. I prefer to have deep one developed race whose purpose in life is more than building dams or chasing mice.

Not just the elfs and dwarves, I find the wingers and the kobolds to be good too. Maybe some spiritual race, like those native american types you mentioned could be interesting, just make sure they are not futile.

I don't think we should keep some races out only because they are popular. Humans are in all games too, do you want to get rid of them?
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rezard wrote:

I don't think we should keep some races out only because they are popular. Humans are in all games too, do you want to get rid of them?

Boomshakala! Great point Rez, Elves and Dwarves are classic character concepts - and if you look at the suikoden world they borrow heavily from Tolken and DnD; "kobolds" "elves" "dwarves" "dragons" "wizards" "vampires" 'etc..

The suikoden world is a melting pot of cultural diversity, and elves and dwarves are the closest to human's and thus should be more established. I want to know how these races "work". Here's an idea Konami, instead of feeding us a new brain-numbing race every game, give us back some of the older races and explain a little bit about their heritage and history. Were there any great demi-human heros? Events that happened in their culture? If elves are long lived (are they in Suikoden?) are there any histories of the elves that pertain to the sindar? how long have these races been around and where did they come from!!

I hate you Onimaru.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, what I'm arguing is not that their archetype can be adopted by another people group. Elves in every game are superior to humans, or so they think. Dwarves in all gamse are miners and smitheys (EDIT: craftsmen). If you're going to give me elves and dwarves I'd love to be able to distinguish the Suikoden Elves from the elves of JRR Tolkien or any other RPG, the same with the dwarves.

I'm fine with them being there, but I think an iconoclastic portrayal would be more satisfying instead of feeding us new names for the same characters we've seen in every game we've ever played.

Humans are given the most generic, blank slate, so I don't have a problem with Humans or Humes being in games. They are usually given personality that isn't defined by their race.

Last edited by Acheron on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rezard

215744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Futher developing those races so they became more unique is a good idea, but I have no problem with cliches too, either way is fine with me.

An atypical elf or dwarf would be fun, I´d like to see one. Too bad the one in SV gave up being a mage.

Quote:
Dwarves in all gamse are miners and smitheys.

In Suikoden I, they were not miners nor smitheys, they were inventors who created all kinds of machines.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you can only introduce so many new races before it just gets silly. That being said, if Suikoden 6 is going to focus heavily on one I'd like them to go back to something that was used before. Elves, dwarves, kobolds, lizards, and ducks are all a-ok in my book. Beavers, nay kobolds, and mermaids definitely are not. Still, I'd rather see one of them make a return than introduce yet another, because after a while it will reach a point of being completely unrealistic.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want the Kobolds to kick ass and be the main antagonists. If possible I want a whole nation demolished to rubble, it's citizens enslaved and the anthromorphic races to be taken very seriously for a change. I want a war damn it. I want a huge helping of blood and cruelty and I can only imagine a bare fanged Doberman general can do that. Forget those halfwitted human generals an extremely vicious Dog general with the worst traits imaginable would make for a good villain.

I want to see a raiding party of cruel dogs as they ransack an entire city. I want to see a Dog general seething with anger as he grind the floor with weak human bones. :twisted:
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ferrouslupusrex wrote:
I want the Kobolds to kick ass and be the main antagonists. If possible I want a whole nation demolished to rubble, it's citizens enslaved and the anthromorphic races to be taken very seriously for a change. I want a war damn it. I want a huge helping of blood and cruelty and I can only imagine a bare fanged Doberman general can do that. Forget those halfwitted human generals an extremely vicious Dog general with the worst traits imaginable would make for a good villain.

I want to see a raiding party of cruel dogs as they ransack an entire city. I want to see a Dog general seething with anger as he grind the floor with weak human bones. :twisted:

I think Gobocha is the man for the job.

I hate you Onimaru.
Levenheit

Dragon Cavalry

3113 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Onimaru"]
ferrouslupusrex wrote:

Ridley could fit the profile.

Would the idea of a half kobold half human or half elf tenkai float?
Finfreeze

177377 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to see any nonhuman race, as long as they don't all live in an isolated village with the name of their race in the village name. Suikoden is pretty bad at this. Most of the races introduced are totally stereotypical—Wingers are all crazy and disfunctional, elves are bigots who live in trees, kobolds are stupid—and only exist in one or maybe two villages in the one region the game takes place in. In nearly every game afterwards it's almost like they never existed in the first place.

In fact, I'd like to see a game take place in a region where humans didn't outnumber all the other demihumans combined by 238955098:1. It feels like a bit of a waste how most fantasy worlds have weird and varied races, yet humans are always the most prominent race.

But if I had to choose, I'd want ducks, since at least they visit places other than their racial town. They also don't have the inherent arrogance, racism, and/or stupidity present in elves, wingers, kobolds, and the like. Mermaids are OK as well, since they at least have half of a reason for not being prominent.

As for the typical fantasy races, I'm not a big fan of 'em. I'd rather see an original species get the nod than the same rehashes we've been getting in every medieval fantasy. However, since they existed since the first game (albeit all tucked away in minority race land with the kobolds), they may as well use them. I just want them to be a little less stereotypical. I really disliked how the reason given for why Nei and Roland were seemingly in love was "because they were both elves".
Dilber Novum

8481 Potch
156 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see. What did we had tlll this time?

-Elves
-Dwarves
-Kobolds
-Mermaids
-Beavers
-Wingers

I would like to have Sierra rebuilding the town of Coven with new Vampires who want to study the human being.Or maybe Centauers? You know that things... half human half horse. I also would like to have an Orcish clan. Orcs are well known as good warriors.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps if they elaborated on one of the previous monsters and developed them into a race that might be interesting. Speaking of which, what's the deal with the wild red dragons in Suikoden V? I thought dragons were something of an exclusive thing to the dragonknights, what's the deal?

I hate you Onimaru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: