Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

the dancing the kids do these days
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: the dancing the kids do these days Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just read an artical on how students do their dancing at school dances, as always the kids support their ways and the parents are up in arms. A classic story that will never die.

With each generation someone finds somthing inapperopate. The artical mentioned how once even the Waltz was a "nasty" dance. Now adays teen agers dance with a lot of grinding, preforming dance moves wich posslby look like dogs mating, and coiling lips, arms and legs around your partner.

So should the adults and chaperones stop being scaldnized and find it inapproperate and accept this is how things are today? or should they continue to make a stink about the reveling clothing the girls wear and the agressive 'dance partner' techniques they use to pick out a guy?

one student who got asked why they dance this way said that, its because that is how people dance on TV, so they should to. Celebties do and well then its cool.

now I ask you all what you think? should school dances have dress and dance codes, or allow this behavior?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The one thing that I notice about adults who protest these kinds of things is how powerless they are to stop it. When your generation no longer gets to decide what's cool, you won't be changing the way your 13-year-old daughter dresses (or you'll just give her more of a challenge in disobeying you, which they will). They were all teenagers once, and I don't really understand why everything demands them sticking their noses in it. If your daughter is a slut, how she dresses has a lot less to do with it than you might think.

School dances should stay, too. The only reason people dance like they do is because the music is geared to it (predominantly R&B & Hip Hop), and I don't really have a problem with dancing today, closeness is something I enjoy. Every generation in the history of humanity has things that are taboo (and near-taboo) that people do anyways, who are we to take that away from ourselves? I also hope this doesn't get pawned off on the famous either; the only reason kids imitate the famous is because their parents raised them idolizing the wrong set of people.

And frankly, with all of the stuff that goes on in schools that shouldn't (I'm not talking sexual harassment and stuff, but the way teachers have a habit of completely removing the legal rights of a student. That's what the parents should really be doing; informing their kid of their rights), the real problem isn't what the kids are doing when they're having fun, its the fascist environment that they're learning in. How are kids going to grow into well-adjusted adults if the adults are constantly treating them like kids?
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

eh, prehaps. It just bothers me I never was that way and still am. I'd love to be able to bend over and wiggle my but so my dance partner can grind up behid me. I'd be real people, but I'm not.

that is how kids dance now. Like baboons mating. and the closenss is somthing that is good?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chimei Star

Crescent Moon Gunners

112245 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dancing still goes on? I just thought there was a rise in seizures in the past few generations.

I'd have to admit again that I have no link to my 'generation' in society nowadays, everything people my age do is too strange or weird for me to be doing as well, in my opinion. But unless you have some proposed law to make dancing in that way illegal, then I don't think things would change much.

As for dress codes, I had the impression that school dances (or proms.. whatever the word is that Americans use) were supposed to have some sort of.. erm.. cleanliness to them? Y'know, boys in shirts, girls in gowns, slow dancing. Maybe that ideal went out the window and it's morphed into some hyper-disco-hybrid.

Just think, in a generation or so, it might start to revert back, that's what trends are.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chimei Star wrote:

As for dress codes, I had the impression that school dances (or proms.. whatever the word is that Americans use) were supposed to have some sort of.. erm.. cleanliness to them? Y'know, boys in shirts, girls in gowns, slow dancing. Maybe that ideal went out the window and it's morphed into some hyper-disco-hybrid.

http://www.metrofashion.net/uima/_im_gallery_04.jpg

not so bad, the news a few years coverd how "bad" some of the dresses are girls wear. like crisscross banners across the chest for the top part, and open backs

the boys in some of the dances, not formals wear their baggy low hanging pants with the boxer shorts. oh lala, stylish.

Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do you define "dancing" really? I ponder that every time I see people dance in such ways as you describe and there's really nothing that you can argue that would legitimize saying "That's not dancing"

Sure there is a borderline for what you can consider as dancing in public and dancing in the bedroom but in the end it can all still fall under "dancing"

So at this point...dancing in one style versus dancing in another style can only be affected by public pressure and nothing else.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vincent Chase wrote:
If your daughter is a slut, how she dresses has a lot less to do with it than you might think.

Well said. People should be more concerned about the root problem than one of the symptoms.

If someone wants to dance or wear clothes that would portray a sexually easy attitude that's one thing. If they're actually going around having risky casual and emotionless sex then that's another.

I think parents don't want their children using their bodies in an empty way. They don't want them to "just be plumbing". But, does that really have to do with how they dance? Maybe, but likely not.

One can give one outward appearance but be very different when push comes to shove.

Parents who are concerned about a persons sexual proclivities should sit down with that person and discuss them in a mature fashion explaining the dangers both emotional and physical of being a "slut". Then let them go and dance however they wish.

The only risk here is that if someone "comes off as a tease" they could be sexually assaulted. That is still very wrong and it's in no way the person's fault for "being a tease and deserving it" or something ridiculous like that, but it's still a risk. Would you walk around a impoverished alleyway of New York waving money around? How about rubbing your body against a hormone crazed teenager? You're playing with fire if you do and don't intend to back up your actions.

Blazing Conflagration

1542036 Potch
308 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that parents do have the right to be concerned about such things. They are the legal guardians of these children after all. Beyond that (and more importantly I'd say) they love their children and want to be able to help them grow in ways that they think will be beneficial to their child. If parents are concerned because something that their children does is against their sense of right and wrong, I think they would be remiss in their parenting duties not to at least comment on it and try and help their child see things from the same view that they have.

That said, there are certain ways to go about things, and certain ways that will actually have some kind of effect on your child. As Vincent Chase pointed out, as soon as something becomes "forbidden" it automatically gains the allure of forbidden fruit. Telling a teenager they can't dance like that is pretty much a sure fire way of getting them to do it.

The problem with a lot of situations like this is that parents can't always define rationally what it is that upsets them about their child's activities. They might feel a sense of moral indignity, but they should also try and recall that their morals are predicated on a completely different time and era. Of course they will have modified some of their beliefs to fit in with the modern world, but by and large I'd say they carry the moral bias of their time. Parents need to try and realise that it is now a different time and historical moment, and that the things that they consider to be proper and improper might not stand up in modern society.

To the issue of dancing itself, I think that dancing is a tool of self expression and one that has changed from generation to the next. There was a time when swing dance was considered scandalous, and rock and roll music was a corrupting influence on the youth. Now I'd say that most parents would see swing dancing as good clean fun. We can be shocked and perhaps upset by things that we don't understand, as many adults might not understand the appeal of modern styles of dancing. However, just because someone doesn't understand something it does not make that thing wrong or make it so that the activity implicitly has less worth. In the case of dancing I think that the parents should analyze what about it is making them uncomfortable with a mind to their bias, and then try and understand the activity from the perspective of their child and the modern society. They should approach the subject openly and honestly with their children in the hopes of two way dialogue. To automatically legislate against it because they are the authority figure, without giving any kind of reasonable rationale to the kids would be a sure fire to build up resentment.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Look, if parents are so concerned about their children dressing like they do, and dancing like they are, then the best way they can combat this is by turning up to the school dance, wearing precisely the same clothes, and joining in with precisely the same dance, perhaps kicking up a fuss about line dancing or something similar. That way the kids will move away from what they are currently doing, and become more conservative, to avoid being embarrased by their parents.

As an 18 year old healthy male, I think dancing is a antiquated part of the mating ritual, and should be phased out for the much more radical option of beating one another with clubs until the strongest is found, then he is exterminated, and the one's sensible enough not to participate are found to be the better choice for the continuation of the human race.

The problem most youths face is the same throughout the ages. As they grow up, they resent the authority placed upon them by those around them, and strive against it in any way they can. Nazi Germany had the Swing youth, who did nothing worse than listen to banned American music, not only because they enjoyed it, but because it was a way for them to rebel from the establishment. What we see nowadays is a continuation of everything that's happened before. A pushing of the boundaries, of the standards of decency, whatever they can to prove their own independance. Regardless of what a lot of parents can do, a lot of youths go through a state of rebellion, and if you didn't then you should consider your parents great parents.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ku are you saying those dresses you linked to are slutty? Because i don't think they are quite nice.

As for this whole slutty dancing thing, it just seems to be the done thing for younger people at this moment in time whether they have learnt to dance this way by watching R&B hip hop videos doesn't really matter, it's the parents and the teacher who are letting them dance this way, to be honest i doubt ALL of the youngsters are dancing like this, plus i would wager that for a lot of them it is only dancing and no sex will be involved.

Though i would like to know what age these kids are your talking about.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AA wrote:
Ku are you saying those dresses you linked to are slutty? Because i don't think they are quite nice.

Though i would like to know what age these kids are your talking about.

I said those were some better ones. some girls wear ones that are more reveling.

as for "kids" and age, for the most part the coverage the subject gets are Junior and Senior Highschool age, though some might be younger. though I guess its ok for 17 or 16 year olds to do the 'hump'n monkey' style dance. or rub their bodys all over someone else with writing and all.

for some reason google isn't being nice for serches.

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm all in favor of teaching actual dancing in school. It'll solve the bump and grind problem, and it's one hell of a work out. I go Salsa dancing one or twice a week, and come home exhausted.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ku says:
Quote:

http://www.metrofashion.net/uima/_i m_gallery_04.jpg

not so bad, the news a few years coverd how "bad" some of the dresses are girls wear. like crisscross banners across the chest for the top part, and open backs

the boys in some of the dances, not formals wear their baggy low hanging pants with the boxer shorts. oh lala, stylish.

Those are nice dresses, and they look like prom dresses, and for many girls prom is a special night that demands about a full day's preparation of special attire (dress, makeup, hair, jewelry). Something like that might also get worn at formal (or semi-formal), and aside from those nights would spend about 99.8% of its existence in a closet and I don't even think its possible that any of those dresses could be worn by anyone younger than 16. If it's a night that you're shelling out $500 for that usually includes a limo, drinks, food and possibly new clothes, you want to go out and have fun while looking your best because you want it to be special. No one wears stuff like that every day or to some crappy gymnasium dance, and no one who hasn't developed enough for it to look like a dress instead of a towel would wear those.

And the pants for the fellas, I wear mine a little bit low, but I never have ass overhang and its not uncomfortable. Society in general needs to pull up our pants, but only a little bit, only a little bit...

The Narcissist says:
Quote:
Vincent Chase wrote:
If your daughter is a slut, how she dresses has a lot less to do with it than you might think.

Well said. People should be more concerned about the root problem than one of the symptoms.

I always thought that sluttiness was directly proportional to the amount of parental prying in the child's life, and though my article was declined by The New York Times I'm currently pitching the study to the panel at Berkeley.

Kalidor gets a Silver Star on his homework.

Ku says:
Quote:

I said those were some better ones. some girls wear ones that are more reveling.

as for "kids" and age, for the most part the coverage the subject gets are Junior and Senior Highschool age, though some might be younger. though I guess its ok for 17 or 16 year olds to do the 'hump'n monkey' style dance. or rub their bodys all over someone else with writing and all.

for some reason google isn't being nice for serches.

Again, revealing is good if it's on a special night, any further point is moot.

16 and 17? Oh that's just terrible. 16-17 is when kids can drive, are probably already accepted to college/university (or enlisted, or in a trade) and are just starting to realize that there's a whole other life out there from their own small existence. First, there's the problem of different levels of maturity. A 16 year old boy and girl can easily be at least two years apart in their mental ages (with girls' usually being the higher of the two). It's not just mental, either. I go to the mall and see one of my friends hit on a girl that looks really cute, then he goes over and comes back with a frown and the knowledge that she's just 15, but says that she was into him. Why is that happening? No, not because my 22 year old friend has a conscience, but because the girls want to attract older, and more mature men.

Second, 16 and 17 is give or take 8 years after someone loses the innocence of childhood. One of my cousin's little friends lost his virginity a week before his 13th birthday; being a teenager is a lot closer to being an adult than it is to being a child and while it's fun to coddle your kids when they're 7 years old, when they're 15 they'll hate you for it. A teenager has important decisions to make and new feelings in their head, and acting on them is the whole essence of being a teenager. They shouldn't have complete freedom to act on their desires, but I still maintain my view that its the responsibility of the parents to see that their kid enjoys their teens...but not too much.

Third...'hump'n monkey'? We are a bunch of hairless monkeys so I think you're describing sex here, and while it might be possible in a few species, I don't think monkeys do it facing each other :P

My opinion on dancing: It's not something that I go out to do, but it can be fun. I'm not the best dancer, but I don't really care. Common modern dancing, remember, is just the bastardization of some contemporary moves popularized by R&B as well as older moves by Broadway and Tap dancers. It's an artform, but not one that everyone excels at.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If they are 16/17 then here in the UK they can go and do the "hump'n monkey" legally. I really don't see what the problem is or how it affects you so much Ku.

Young Adults (not kids) are just exploring and having a good time, hell if my parents tried to lock me away from the world at that age i would not be a happy camper, sure i had bad time, but even when things where bad i learned a lot.

Going out and grinding with each other, i say try it! You might even like it.

if in the future you don't want your kids to dress like whores or bump uglys with other people then please feel free to educate them that way.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dancing is an expression. Teen's express their desire to be viewed as mature. The celebrities portray themselves as mature as having their dance mimic sex. It's also a common held belief that sex is a manifestation of love. Love is an emotion(NEW"S FLASH!!! for the day) and dance is an expression of that emotion. With as many hormones that fly by a teens head every second (male and female alike) it's not surprising the dancing mimics sex. The dance expresses their urge to be mature, which is taught by movies and TV as being in love.

That's a mess up there. There's many factors that make teenage dancing so sexual.

1. Cop Out Reason: Hormones
It's obvious Teens have hormones they can't deal with and have a tendency to let their hormones do the driving. This is very influential in the teenage desire to reproduce.

2. Cop Out 2: Blame the Media
Well, not really a cop out. The media that we see shows love as a very distinct thing. It's between two individuals and it's very valuable. If you don't have it, you're doomed to be unhappy until you can get it. It's also portrayed as a distinction between adults and youths. So another inherent trait to a youth is wanting to be older, with the irony that adults often wish to be young again (human beings, never happy! go figure). So this desire to have sex is also ingrained into youths as something that makes you a man or a woman, no longer a boy or girl.

So teens want sex, what's that got to do with slutty dancing? I'll tell you!

Dancing is an expression! All these sexual urges of young people finally have a universal outlet through dance! Better yet, dancing is a partner thing, just like love! Holy cow! The trend of promiscuous dancing is only becoming more popular because it's culturally acceptable now. Everyone is allowed to have sex, it's okay. We should embrace it, least that's what I hear about it anyways. I imagine we're still riding that sexual revolution of our parents generation. Don't lose hope in society though Kuwaizer and others who are put off by dirty dancing. It'll probably solve itself like in the past with the institution of more morally strict codes and taboo's by a religious revival or the genesis of a new faith all together. Least I think it will. O well, no worries. You can always step/look away. The blind eye has never produced bad results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: