Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Quotation Marks in MS Word
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Quotation Marks in MS Word Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but going back in some of the Harmonian fanfics, I notice the place where you have quotation marks ("Jeff has a new bicycle"...), I'm just seeing a bunch of strange craziness, like:

Quote:
"Dammit all to hell!" Vincent cursed, spitting on the ground. "I have to get past them, but I can't make a scene. Who knows if anyone else from the competition went to Crystal Valley?"

If I (and many others) have a post that's going to be all nice, it's generally written in MS Word (2003) for the handy spell checker and all the tools. Just writing them in in the message body works, though. I've been using word forever and that's never happened before. I hope it's not a big problem.

VincentChase
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's actually a long standing issue with the forums. I'm not sure what causes it but the "â€" is new and has its own thread devoted to it here: http://www.suikox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23291.

The square boxes probably result from the fact that the board uses a different font format from the word processor and so special characters are displayed differently and as there is no character set in the font for the board, it appears as a little error. The same thing happens if you try to read a site in a different language and you dont' have the language package installed for your browser. The browser doesn't know how to handle the symbols because they are font and not image files, and so it shows an error.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've found that if you copy your text from Word to Notepad and then post to the forums, everything should turn out just fine. That's the habit I've gotten into with larger posts since, for some reason, every line is double spaced after a staight cut and paste job from Word, which brings about an awful presentation.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Copy-pasting other posts seems to have been affected by this, too.

It has on the INF boards. :P

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And also in the "Oscar's Prediction" Thread in the Media section all the Quotation Marks have been replaced by those symbols.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy, if you're reading this, I think the problem here was caused during database transfer, and the whole compression/decompression messed with the ascii encoding because MS office (especially older ones) don't confirm to current ISO standards.

If that is the case only old posts should be affected, and new posts that use the same quotation marks should not result in the Euro symbols popping up.

Can the already messed up entries be streamlined through the shell or something? That's a new thing for me. I guess I can push through a query to fix everything, but that would slow down the server so much.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, when I browsed around, I generally found what Sars posted to be true. It's just the older posts, for whatever reason. -And- it isn't just question marks, it's apostrophes. There may be other punctuation marks affected, perhaps semicolons or colons, but I mean... Who the hell uses semicolons anyway?! :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know of any way to fix this. other than doing a fix in the mysql shell. Backup your DB before you do this, as I've never done this.

Code:
 mysql> update [TABLE] set [FIELD] = replace([FIELD_NAME],'[SEARCH_STRING]','[REPLAC E_STRING]');

you'd need to get a list of search strings though. If you go with Chase's example:
Quote:
“Dammit all to hell!� Vincent cursed, spitting on the ground. “I have to get past them, but I can’t make a scene. Who knows if anyone else from the competition went to Crystal Valley?�

I believe it could be replaced like this:
Quote:
"Dammit all to hell!" Vincent cursed, spitting on the ground. "I have to get past them, but I can't make a scene. Who knows if anyone else from the competition went to Crystal Valley?"

then you could do this:
Code:

update [TABLE] set [FIELD] = replace([FIELD_NAME],'“','"');

That might do it. Theoretically, it should work, but I've never tried doing this, so I don't know.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Calculus

8256 Potch
2300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've created a fix for this which ought to work - just checking it over with Vextor before we go ahead and run it.

Edit: Ack! I had forgotten that MySQL does have its own replace function, and spent time coding a fix using mb_ereg_replace() in PHP. Ah, well...fix pending, anyway. ^_^
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blas: yeah, that's the type of stuff I was thinking. Something that can run from the shell... and then I believe Calculus whipped up something that basically does that... so we'll see how that goes. If this works, all of the fucked up text should become normal again, but theyre may be some lag as we scan through millions of text.
Calculus

8256 Potch
2300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That huge burst of lag just now was the fix running - and it looks like it worked! If there are any messed-up characters remaining in old posts, or especially if the fix screwed up any text, let us know.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I did feel that lag, but now that it passed and all the mess is cleared, I feel relieved. Whew! Thanks Calculus-sama!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the Phase 14 Declarations of Intent thread, "Norðeland" appears as "Norðeland".

It seems to alternate between the correct and messed up spellings elsewhere, as the correct spelling appearing in the titles within the Battlefield forum, while the messed up spelling appears in the body of some of the threads, particularly those Blasphemy posted following the database crash and battles posted by the admins prior to the crash.

In this thread "Skarsgård" shows up as "Skarsgård"

In this thread "Kiersten the Rou" shows up as "Kiersten the Röu" This one confuses me as there are no special characters in the name to begin with.

That's all I could find at this point.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Calculus

8256 Potch
2300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good catch! I've fixed these; as I found in one non-broken post, it's actually "Kiersten the Röu."

There are probably more broken characters around here somewhere, but that's this batch...
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apostrophes seem to be afffected by this thing, too. In this thread, Rezard's post showed a "didn't" and a "that's" instead of "didn't" and "that's".
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Technical issues Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: