Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is Juan a qualified instructor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Is Juan a qualified instructor? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have been wondering about Suikoden 3`s Juan for some time: He`s supposed to be the martial arts instructor for your army, right? Now I suppose he did fine acting as the instructor for the initial crew at Budehuc: two old farts, a halfwitted kobold, a fat guy, a little girl in oversized armor and an autistic bookwurm. However I can hardly imagine guys like Borus, Gao or Shiba putting up with Juan telling them how to fight.

Just for the record: I don`t dislike Juan as his freeloading personality reminds me of someone I know v^^; but come on: all he does is lay about chewing on this lead of his! Don`t go telling me he`s so strong he doesn`t need any training since he starts of at lv. 7 meaning even Lulu (lv. 10) could kick his ass! Please tell me: how is it possible that Juan is allowed to stay on as martial arts teacher even though he`s clearly not among the strongest at Budehuc castle?
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, being able to teach classifies you more as teacher than uberpowers do. Okay, he isn't the best at what he does himself, but he is able to teach you to the maximum of your own possibilities. Can you imagine Georg teaching everybody his fine arts or Mazus telling you how exatly to do the fire work? Nah, not really. So, even if he might not be the best, he is able to teach a fine variety of different techniques. Since not really many people are able to teach, I think he might be a good teacher. Even that bell daughter, who is pretty strong becomes his second teacher. That means Juan can't be that weak, huh?

The Fool
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden wrote:
Can you imagine Georg teaching everybody his fine arts or Mazus telling you how exatly to do the fire work? Nah, not really.

Crowley has had a number of students. :P
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And my maths teacher had 30 students a year. I doubt that makes them qualified maths teachers.

Well as the saying goes, those that can do, those that can't teach. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Last edited by John Layfield on Mon May 21, 2007 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, that was the reason why I didn't say Crowley :mrgreen:
I was aware that this old geezer had a lot of excellent students, but Mazus, who had nothing better to do than snoring for gos knows how long in a deep cave nobody enters usually, didn't seem the guy to actually teach things...
Isn't it the same with Zamza how it's with Juan? Okay, Zamza is indeed a good magician, but certainly not the best and he believes in a certain kind of magic, mixed with physical attacks and such, but still he was made the magic instructor after the war in Suikoden II ended...

The Fool
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One could make the argument Zamza was the only fairly normal mage in your army in that game. :*laugh*: I mean, compared to Luc or Mazus, his mental health is starting to look pretty darn good.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
One could make the argument Zamza was the only fairly normal mage in your army in that game. :*laugh*:

Indeed, that's exactly the reasoning behind Shu's move to make him the magic instructor of the entire Allied Army.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Plus Luc and Mazus would have declined the offer, each having their own agenda. Luc's is shown in Suikoden III and Mazus is probably still looking for Crowley.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And appointing Viki as magic instructor would just be wrong. XD

Perhaps Caesar allowed Juan to stay as bujutsu instructor because they are both sleepy. They are like twins!!! Okay, don't mind me.

I do have to say that a Level 7 Juan can beat a Level 10 Lulu's ass any time of the day. And besides, the "training" of Suikoden III does not refer to levels, but rather to SKILLS. Other than Emily, I don't think any other character would be up for the job either because they are just not qualified or they have other things to take care of.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Sophita wrote:
One could make the argument Zamza was the only fairly normal mage in your army in that game. :*laugh*:

Indeed, that's exactly the reasoning behind Shu's move to make him the magic instructor of the entire Allied Army.

Yeah, I read this argument somewhere on SuikoSource I believe...It is a pretty bad sign if he must be considered as the most normal...

The Fool
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Er, doesn't Georg Prime have Combat teacher in Suikoden V? I'm going to go ahead and say that that qualifies him to be a good teacher, even if he can't teach everyone to fight like him. And we see the example with Crowley's students as well, so, yeah, they can teach.

Juan's actually a pretty strong fighter if used correctly, too, so even if combat ability was the only thing to determine whether or not someone gets to teach fighting, he does pretty well. The skills are more or less applicable in different ways for each individual fighting style anyway, though. My assumption is that he can do that, and that he's also a good sparring partner. Even if his personality and work ethic don't seem up to the standards we would expect from a martial arts trainer, the game clearly represents him as one, by giving him B+ in Bujutsu Teacher. It's a B+ as opposed to something in the A or S range, so he's not the best teacher in the world, but it's clear he's supposed to be pretty good. Jefferson gets a D and you can learn perfectly well from him, though, which means that Juan registers a cut or two above that.

Of course, you could also go look at, say, his ending in Suikoden III. That should give you a pretty good idea of just how much teaching he does.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eden wrote:
Yeah, I read this argument somewhere on SuikoSource I believe...It is a pretty bad sign if he must be considered as the most normal...

Well, considering most of the mages go, the selection in the Allied Army is notably slim. Really, Zamza's only personality problem is that he's a complete narcissist.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: