Suikoden United and Irrational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rakgi's Father, Brandeau and Steele
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Rakgi's Father, Brandeau and Steele Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is there any information at all as to how the Rune of Punishment travelled from Rakgi's Father to Steele? I mean Steele sounds like a complete psycho who just kills anything that comes close to him. It seems a bit odd that a fisherman who got the True Rune of Punishment off another fisherman can somehow get into such close contact with this insane pirate, and none of his crew before hand.

Also something that interests me is that Edgar the Pirate King's body is left intact for Brandeau to send back to the Pirate's Nest. In pretty much every cutscene, the Rune of Punishment disintegrates the target's body, any idea how Edgar's left alive by it? Apparenty a number of Edgar's crew were killed in this spell by the Rune of Punishment as well, but supposedly for plot purposes their bodies were magically disintergrated but not Edgars...

I don't think theres any information on this at all apart from whats already been revealed on suikosource, this site and duefiumi, but it's something thats really interested me. I need to also finally play Suikoden Tactics, regardless of how bad it'll be.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was the exploding Rune Cannon that killed Edgar wasn't it? Isn't that why his body was left in tact?

As for the father > Steele... no one really knows, i would assume that Steele only became an uber pirate after obtaining the Rune of Punishment and before that he was a fisherman too maybe.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah but I can't see why he'd become a pirate if that was the case, it's not like the Rune of Punishment causes the bearer to act differently.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maybe he was always an ass and the power of the rune gave him the ability/opportunity to do it.

Or he knew of his impending fate and decided to turn to piracy in order to find a way around the curse, he could have already been a very unsuccessful pirate.... to be honest, anything could be possible, unless there is someone out there who has some info that we don't.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I could see Steele being a simple petty pirate attacking fisherman and stealing their booty. I could even see him making the whole Steele/Steal pun. And once Riki's husband was attacked, he used the rune to defend himself and died. And once Steele got his hands on the rune, he went even more nuts with power. The rune might not change people's personalities, but power does.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps I've missed out a massive part of this in Suikoden Tactics then, I just can't be motivated to buy it right now, the things I've heard and seen... it doesn't look to good, even if it is a Suikoden game.
uwangski

Lilly's Loyal Guards

701224 Potch
200 Soldiers
32 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi wrote:
Is there any information at all as to how the Rune of Punishment travelled from Rakgi's Father to Steele?

If I remember correctly, Rakgi's father hid the rune in Obel's ruins until the Queen of Obel (Lino's wife) took it. She later used it in a battle (I'm not sure though if it was against Steele), so that could be how the rune was passed to him.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

uwangski wrote:
Hayashi wrote:
Is there any information at all as to how the Rune of Punishment travelled from Rakgi's Father to Steele?

If I remember correctly, Rakgi's father hid the rune in Obel's ruins until the Queen of Obel (Lino's wife) took it. She later used it in a battle (I'm not sure though if it was against Steele), so that could be how the rune was passed to him.

Oh yes thats right... Forgot about that... Silly me...

Still, Steele manages to survive, then attack Edgar with it and die along with him and give the rune to Brandeau, Suikoden IV's backstory always seemed a bit rushed to me.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Suikoden IV Rikie mentions that Rakgi's father couldn't have lived with the RoP for three years, suggesting Rakgi's father got the RoP three years before SIV. In Suikoden Tactics the whole Steele scene at night occurs 4-7 years before Suikoden IV so something is definitely off.

The queen got he RoP in the ruins and was attacked by Kooluk forces (don't you think it's weird that the ships shown in SIV's intro movie during the scene of the attack on the queen are the same as the pirate ships that attacked Razril?) some 15 years before SIV (judging from Lazlo's age) and couldn't have gotten the RoP from Rakgi's father, Rakgi isn't old enough for that to be possible. You can see him talking to his father before he went fishing and he didn't sound like he was still a baby.
Also, Cray's son and Cray himself got the RoP before Rakgi's father did. The memories shown by the RoP were in chronological order except for the queen who appeared as last. Rakgi's father could've passed on the RoP to Steele during a raid or something.

Quote:
Still, Steele manages to survive, then attack Edgar with it and die along with him and give the rune to Brandeau, Suikoden IV's backstory always seemed a bit rushed to me.

The Evil Eye only transforms living creatures not the dead. Considering Edgar's position nearby the canon he was killed instantly in the explosing and thus his body wasn't mutilated. Peck wasn't close enough and survived but got transformed partially during the explosion. Brandeau was the furthest away and wasn't affected by the Evil Eye's effect. I hope that made sense because all three of them were pretty close together near the canon.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, basically Konami (or specifically, Kawano) fucked up. Seriously, we keep better track of their own series' history than they do, and they're the ones making the damned game! I'm sure Raww Le Kleuze has something to say about this.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
Yeah, basically Konami (or specifically, Kawano) fucked up. Seriously, we keep better track of their own series' history than they do, and they're the ones making the damned game! I'm sure Raww Le Kleuze has something to say about this.

It seems so, it can't be that hard for them to have made a timeline of events (like you did Vex) as they went along creating characters and plots. You'd need one of these especially if you're making prequels.
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:

Wha..? Me..? Aside from that I still believe Kawano shouldn't be allowed to work on anything Suikoden ever again, not even as art director (cause frankly, compared to Ishikawa [please come back!] and King she sucks, better than me of course but I can't draw worth a damn) I don't have anything particular to chime in on.

Was there a body though from Edgar? We only saw a coffin I think, but I haven't played Tactics in... forever... though it raises the question of where Brandeu got a hold of a coffin in the middle of the night. I guess he sailed to Middleport, avoiding the Pirate Hunters, bought a coffin, returned the coffin to Pirate's Isle in the dead of night without being noticed (I'm sure pirates have no need for lookouts or anything) and Kika just magically realized it was Edgar... or something.

Well, the good news I guess is that for once it's not the translations fault.
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well Kika did see Edgar's cape on that coffin and knowing how close the two were, it seemed natural that she would know who was in that coffin. I mean she saw a belonging of someone she knew well on top of that coffin so how she knew who was inside was basically due to how close Kika and Edgar were

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

uwangski wrote:

That is not the way it had happened. Obel Ruins was the remain of an ancient civilazation wiped out by the Rune. The skeletal hand inside the ruins belonged to the and the last person alive bearing the Rune. After he died, the Rune went dormant until the Queen of Obel called it forth. Then the Rune traveled once more.

Rikie and Rakgi were merely staying witin the ruins to stay close to the origin of the Rune of Punishment, or something to that extent.

Judging from circumstantial evidences, the order of the Rune's travel would be:

Some ancient civilization (exterminated) >>> Queen of Obel (died of overuse) >>> Graham Cray's son (died of overuse) > Graham Cray (cut his own hand) >>> Rakgi's father (unspecified death) >>> Steele (killed) > Brandeau (killed) > Glen Cott (died of overuse) > Lazlo.

Raww Le Klueze wrote:

and Kika just magically realized it was Edgar... or something.

Wasn't that simply because the coffin was draped in Edgar's cape, though?

Regarding Edgar... I always thought that he did not die because bt the Rune. Rather, he died by the explosion or debris caused by the Rune.

Uhm... this is only a random thought: what if Rakgi's father was Steele?

Last edited by Scrooge McDuck on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrooge McDuck wrote:
Some ancient civilization (exterminated) >>> Queen of Obel (died of overuse) >>> Graham Cray's son (died of overuse) > Graham Cray (cut his own hand) >>> Rakgi's father (unspecified death) >>> Steele (killed) > Brandeau (killed) > Glen Cott (died of overuse) > Lazlo.

Thanks, that puts it all into perspective really.

Also, you've listed me in your post as the quote at the top, it was uwangski who said that, not me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: