Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Do YOU believe in Magic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1/2. I truly believe that it exist. How can I not, living in a country that most of the people believe in mysticism? and I have seen a lot of proof. I've seen a lot of "magic'" case, but it's not like the Disney magic where you can fly or anything, but it's kind of black magic where you paid the shaman/magician to perform a magic that could hurt both physically and mentally to the target. A lot of people with high position in the goverment done this a lot to their political enemy. I have seen the real case, it happened to my friend's father. His stomach was greatly hurt, and when the hospital do an operation, they found metals in his stomach. There's a lot of case like that here. I'm a Muslim too, and like Starslasher said, Quran told us that sorcery exist.

3. No I don't. it's forbidden in my religion. And I don't see the goodness of gaining more than God has given to every human

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Do you believe that magic actually EXISTS? Why or why not?
As an empiricist who needs concrete, physical, undeniable, evidence for something to be held true, no, I don't believe magic exists. And I don't think we'll ever be able to prove it. Tarot cards and other things like that are just carny tricks. Watch your wallets, because the only magic these people can do is make your money disappear.

If the magic you're thinking of is some sort of internal powers a person might possess, then you're fighting the same fight as ESP and remote viewing. Hence, a waste of time.

2. Do you believe IN magic? Again, why or why not?
Having said that, I think we all have magic until we become teenagers... The world is so fresh and vibrant, full of unexplainable phenomena, as kids we can't get our heads around a magic show, a movie with tremendous special effects, or even a meteor shower. *sigh* Intelligence is a curse.

3. Would you like to have a hand in it, if given the access to it?
Oh god no, I would probably blow up Las Vegas or something. I just want to be left alone in my house and not be bothered by any of you spell-casting psychopaths!

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did, but my faith in these things is dying horribley. Mainly I guess, like some that the magic isnt allowed here. I wanted to write a whole "thesis" on fantasy magic made logical, by explaing levels and types. in the lowest end one, a sorceror prays and asks and hopefully is alllowed so seek the help from lets say a slyph, said slyph hears call, opens gate to world that ins't the magic/spirit animal realm, and then does some magic stuffs. On the highest end, you create the wind from no wind. I call this "creator-god" magic. Mostly CGM is't leant, one is born with it, edit when the soul is conserned, CGM's mainly create themselfs on the highest level. also...i'm trying to figure out the types.

it would be nice, everyone's heart asks for a break from the mundane, but I need evidence. the only magic zi can see is some techno or "mind magic" . On LJ I ran across a community for "time magic" this is highly intersting. I used to think I could do somthing, but thats for the next question. but untill I can meet a fire slinging sorceror. My faith lies low. Channling and astral travle will go into the same box as well. those skills are pretty hard to master. as well as comanding dragons.

I belive I'm banned from magic, a friend said he sealed my power and threw away the key, I don't know who gave him the power to make such judgments. others told me "the universe" took it away, really, if your ears bleed because some idiot still can't make the insturment or voice sound good, by all means, silence them. anway I do see that I'd be destructive, or charge people for healing. I'm suppose to break the gate from this mudane world to a more magical one, or bring it to here (wow cool huh) and hurt people. I didnt come up with this. its just having your friend say stuff and say they will play hero thats the most hurtfull. well I do win, and get vengence-killed. but still. one reason I've taken to the "traitor characters" latly. so again, I'd like the magic, but I can't use it, and I'm not allowed. I don't even think I could dabble in quasi things like "astral traval", I'd learn somting, I'd hurt somone. and when I come back, and if dragging what I have with me.....things won't be good.

I can always pretend it will never happen, never did and is all a joke. so lets ok?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your definitons of the word "magic" are vague, Starslasher. I would recommend that you try to narrow down the definitions before you get people too involved in just "answering the question" as opposed to discussing the topic.

Let's start with the Oxford English Dictionary:

... woah, I get a LOT of definitions. Anyway, it basically boils down to the below:

1. "The pretended art of influencing the course of events, and of producing marvellous physical phenomena, by processes supposed to owe their efficacy to their power of compelling the intervention of spiritual beings, or of bringing into operation some occult controlling principle of nature; sorcery, witchcraft. Also, the practice of this art."

From the OED, it seems that:

- magic has to be marvellous and spectacular.
- magic has to be attributed to spiritual beings, or by some occult principle (i.e. ritualism of some sort).

I think that might be a fundamental reason why people aren't really sure they believe in magic. Magic has a literal meaning, but also a lot of suggestion as well. It's a very ambiguous term. Some use it to define it as tricks a stage magician uses. Some may see magic as something that is inexplicable by modern science. Others may believe it to be the power to manipuate the world around you with naught but your spirit and will. Many see it as special powers granted to you by your God(s)/Goddess(es).

Was there a particular type of magic or philsophy that you wanted us to talk about, or did you just want to learn what our definitions of magic were?
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't been here before... might as wel join in some of this...

Yeah I believe it exists... I try to not restrict myself from thinkin about what is possible and what is impossible... I just see magic as another ordinary thing in life, I also believe in it because I have seen it on television (I know, it is all trickery and not magic, but some things are just too much to think it's just tricks and stuff) I also believe in necromancy... in the counrty known as Hates, it is said that if you go there you can see zombies walking around... not literally, but like people like me... lol people who say no more than a few words a day... but to make things worse than me, I ehard that some have been seen not eating or drinking and other creepy things like that... where'd I hear all this crap from? mates, newspapers and internet...

After watching anime and playing many games, I have believed in magic for quite a while now and even though I find no logic in how this works and no scientific explanation, I still refuse to listen and carry on believe... IM A BELIEVER!

I seriously believe in Black Magic though... from Nigeria, I want to go there and learn a few of it myself lol... I have seen and heard about many different types of black magic being used... something about an egg, cursed by a sorceror or something and then sold to someone... that someone should whisper or mutter someone's name to the egg three times and break it... the person will then... :shock: yeah... a load of shhh.... but you never know until it's too late... so all in all, I believe that magic exists somewhere and maybe everywhere...

half yes and Half no... the magics that I believe in is most opposing and damaging magics like black magic, and poer lusting magics and stuff... like nrcromany from great necromancers... all that summoning the dead thing really gets me a nice bloodthirsty feeling going through me :twisted: and yeah I am serious... I don't believe in those teleportation magics as I have seen ways of how they can be fake... once I see a way around the trick showing that it is fake, I no longer believe in that type of magic you know?I seriously am confused about the cut in half one though... but anyway, I do believe IN magic hehehe...

Whoever were to be the one to give me access to it must be a mad idiotic lunatic... but to answer the question, yeah I would... no matter what magic it is as long as it is powerful hehehe... but I say this now that no such power of any sort must fall into my hands as I promise not peace and love, but hate and revenge... vengeance!!! someone I don't like the look of? hehehe die... there... now you know why no such magic must be mine... I am crazy... (truth is though I would never take a life... but damage is ok hehehe...) :twisted:

JNX out
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, i didn't know that the title of this post was used in a MacDonald's commercial...oh well. I guess it's different in other places....

JNX wrote:
no matter what magic it is as long as it is powerful hehehe... but I say this now that no such power of any sort must fall into my hands as I promise not peace and love, but hate and revenge... vengeance!!! someone I don't like the look of? hehehe die... there... now you know why no such magic must be mine... I am crazy...

lol, yeah, good joke. But yeah, seriosuly people do get involved in sorcery for reasons like that according to your religous books. More specifically, envy.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Oh, i didn't know that the title of this post was used in a MacDonald's commercial...oh well. I guess it's different in other places....

Actually, the McDonald's line was taken from a song. A rather catchy one, really. ^_^;

(First verse only)

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

Anyway.

This is an...Odd topic.

Not odd in a bad way, just odd in a "Logically, of course magic doesn't exist. Now...What do I think about it..." kind of way.

I think Faraday sums it up best with "Nothing is too wonderful to be true..."

So yes, I believe magic exists.

Whether or not I believe in magic is another thing. I don't think it matters, really. Either magic exists whether people believe in it, or it only exists if people believe in it, so it's really best to just accept the world as it is. ::shrug:: I'd say I believe in it in the same way as I believe in a table, or my computer. I just aknowledge it's place in the world (Which, in this case, is probably one that no one has ever or will ever comprehend)

Now. If it exists, and I am able to use it, would I want to? Yes. Absolutely.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wyatt Lightfellow

Riders for the Goddess

5955 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

--> I've read many books about magic, rituals, witchcraft, and etc. I have to say that I do believe that magic actually exists in this world. That is because everything is theoretically possible. But I still wonder whether all the information I've got from reading those books about magic is true or not. I want to see magic by my own eyes some day so that I can confirm that my believe that magic actually exists is right. I really do. Now I've never seen any magic other than legerdemain stage performance!

--> I'd have to say that I don't believe in magic. Because it's not necessary to have magic to be able to live. Most humans can't perform actual magic but they have developped sciences and technology to help them. I believe that sciences and technology are better and more useful than magic! I don't know the real reason for my believing this but perhaps it's because I'm more of a scientist than a wizard.

--> Well, if I were given the access to it, I'd certainly love to try it. Why not when you got the chance? :D
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well yeah... because i have seen proofs of its existence...

Yes, because i have seen it without any tricks or cheats. although i would call it witchcraft... coz in a province in my country, a number of villagers can make paper dolls dance and those sort of things...

i can't decide... it would be great to have magic but people might actually fear me and try to kill me like in old times...

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have seen nothing that would lead me to believe in any aspect of the paranormal including magic. Magic has never been verified independently. The burden of proof is on those who believe to explain what basis they have for doing so not for me to offer evidence of its non-existence.

I have no reason to want magic to either exist or not exist but without proof I refuse to entertain the, quite frankly, arrogant idea that we have magic abilities. You show me EVIDENCE then I believe, I am not a man who believe blindly out of hope.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I have no reason to want magic to either exist or not exist but without proof I refuse to entertain the, quite frankly, arrogant idea that we have magic abilities. You show me EVIDENCE then I believe, I am not a man who believe blindly out of hope.

umm... if your interested, try researching philippine culture. we have many things like those healers who heal the sick with some weird things and individuals who can do some weird things... we even have those groups (cults if you want...) that claims to possess charms that makes them immune to diseases and stuff...

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, I do not believe magic exists. I believe in "tv magic", which is just doing a bunch of behind the scene stuff to fool me while I si ton my couch. If Criss Angel really levitated across a building, I'd be watching it on the nightly news, not A&E.

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. Luck and uncertainty IS magic. Since it exists. Magic exists.

See answer to question 1.

Do you mean the capacity to TOTALLY control probabilities. Hell YES. I, for one, would like nothing better than see if how my ideas would turn out. With the abilities to CONTROL, as in totally control, probabilities I can get to experience all the whims I ever conjure.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that magic exists magic because in the Holy Quarn it is written that there is magics both good and bad.
The cheap kinds of magicians who just pull a rabbit out of a hat no but in some places there are wizards who are good and bad those I do believe in because in Oman there are many people who do magic in front of your eyes. This one time 4 sick old men in the middle of a rural souq picked up a man who was well over 300 pounds with just two fingers each.
As a person who comes from the centre of Oman we here are taught that magic corrupts men so I would have to say no to using magic.
Sir Kan of Grassland

Magicians of Lordlake

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I see the world and the subject of Magice is that. Since we were created in the shape of are creater then we should have the skills of are creater. but over time these skill became lose.

and know there are fever few people how can access these skills but there are those how can are what we would called magices or sorries.

I also belive that there are two kinds of magice. White magice and Black magice ok when I say Black magice I mean evil Magice that is ment to hurt somebody or cause harm metal and phsical.

White magice is good magice of noble magice ment to help people. you know procted people and stuff like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: