Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

World's Greatest Shave for a cure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: World's Greatest Shave for a cure Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in a little under two weeks I'm going to be participating in a fundraiser called the "World's Greatest Shave". Basically the idea behind it is that people get their hair shaved or coloured and get sponsored for doing so with the donations going towards the Australian Leukaemia foundation.

Some of you here might know that I have a close friend with leukaemia so it is a charity that is quite close to home for me and maybe some people here might like to sponsor me. Even though the funds raised may not go directly towards my friend as he is in the USA and I'm in Australia, the money raised will help the worldwide search for a cure, as well as stopping other people from having to go through hospital hell for as long as he has had to. After meeting him I guess it is much easier to see what a reality some of these life-threatening illnesses can be and I'm sure anyone else who has had someone close to them with leukaemia or another blood-related illness can see how awful they can be.

As an incentive for people to donate I am putting a range of price tags on how far I am willing to go with my hair. If I earn less than AUS$100 I will colour my hair, quite probably hot pink as that is the colour that I would least like to see myself in (it's a fundraiser so it can't be a colour I like- that'd be too easy for me). If I earn over AUS$100 on the other hand I will be shaving my head totally, which is kind of a pity because I rather like my hair at its current length (it's never been this long in my life) again though, it is a fundraiser. I should just be happy that I am able to choose to shave my head- people that have to go through chemotherapy and radiation treatment seldom get a say in whether they keep their hair or not. And finally if I earn over AUS$200 I will get my legs waxed (and the rest of me too, probably- not that I have too much hair elsewhere). Anymore I earn than that is just a really great bonus!

So basically if you want to sponsor me all you need is a credit card then just email me your details... uhhh... just kidding... you will need a credit card but instead just go to www.worldsgreatestshave.com and click the link that says "Sponsor" then fill in your information. When it asks for a "shaver number" enter 80676 or you can just search for "Shem Bennett". Donations are tax-deductible, but only for Australian citizens. Credit card sponsors must donate at least AUS$5 which is roughly US$4, €3 or £2.

It's a really good cause and the more money I raise the more hair I get rid of. You'll also notice if you browse around the site that a few Australian celebrities are participating including the Crocodile Hunter himself, Steve Irwin. So if you want to sponsor me it'd be awesome!
Thanks in advance,
-Shem
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good to see Saben the Absolute sacrificing something for a cause.

I actually did that three years ago. It wasn't called the same thing (me being on the other side of the world), but I went around, raised about $70 and then got my hair shaved off. I would fully donate $5 US to you...if I had my credit card right here, right now. I know exactly where it is, only it's 90 kilometers away and I don't have a car.

Dying your hair pink isn't something you want to do either. Purple and bright oranges are a much better choice, one because it's a better color and the other because its brighter.

Good luck!
(Sorry that I'm a student, extremely forgetful and a cheap a**hole) :(
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben, I've just sent a donation over! I'd dye my hair for it, though I doubt I'd be allowed in work, unless I could convince them I lived in Australia...

Although I have dyed my hair permanently bright pink for Breast Cancer - so I'm with you on that way! I had my legs waxed too once, but that was for a dare, and the less said about that the better....

And if Mr Steven Irwin is doing it, how could I possibly refuse!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I second all of what the others have said here. I'll be sure to sponsor our Almighty High Priest in his kind endeavor. It's the least I can do to help those out who have to deal with a life-threatening and debilitating disease like cancer or leukaemia. I'm glad to see that you're willing to sacrifice your own self-dignity. lol That's a lot more than I can say, but I'll be more than happy to fork over some cash to help you out there... It's only a little, but I hope this helps somewhat. Again, I think it's really commendable for you to do this for a noble cause.

Also, Steve Irwin has the best accent. If I sounded like that, I couldn't help but conastantly laugh everytime I heard my own voice. Seriously, Australians have the best accents... Them and British women... Ooooo... I cannot refuse the sound of an English accent on a woman, that's like... Irrisistable. But, this is also off-topic.

Anyway, I'm donating to help Saben "The Absolute" out! Also, I think maybe we could spare some soldiers to those who're kind enough to donate? Just a thought, everyone! Keep the peace, and FIND THE CURE! :D

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm afraid all I can give you is moral support...I have no credit card. Still, that's pretty cool, though. If I did that, I would dye my hair blue...simply because I like that color and that way everybody wins.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats awesome saben! I wish more people would become aware of charity organizations like that. As a matter of fact, I think I'll plug one right now.

This past weekend I participated in a 30 hour famine. As many of you know, famine is where you go without food. Our youth group did it. No eating anything from 12:30 on friday until 6:30 on satruday. We were allowed to drink water and juice, but that was it. No gum either, nor breath mints. We collected money for a charity group called World View(I think thats what the name is, if not its something along those lines). Their main goal is not to provide food, but to loan out things that would eliminate poverty. For example;

One family in Kenya got a rooster and ten chickens, provided through World View with donations from youth groups around the country. They were loaned to them for a few months until they could get a group started for themselves and then gave the chickens and roosters back. That way they had econimic security with the eggs and meat(occasionally) and they had enough to eat the eggs they produced themselves.

Another farmer, from Honduras, was taught how to farm and given basic tools to get it accomplished. He also got seeds. He could sell the produce at his local market and still have some to eat for himself and his family. Like others like him, he was strongly encouraged to share and help others out of poverty with the seeds from his crop.

Basically the whole concept for this World Vision is from the Bible(it is a Christian group, by the way, in case I neglected to mention that). "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." It was a great experience, even thought only 15 of us did the famine. O well, thought I'd give a plug to mine since it was so recent. Again, dying your hair for Leukemia is an awesome cause and I salute you for being outspoken about it, Saben.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was a little girl in my hometown that had leukaemia. I don't know exactly what has happened to her; last I heard, she was getting treatment but the family was running low on money.

Anyway, you have my support and a donation.

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When something like that happens, it burns me up...every time something like that happens around here, people band together and help them....

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

3 years ago my childhood friend die of Leukemia, so I understand why Saben want to do this. Sorry, i couldn.t give any donation as I don't have credit card and much money. The only support I can give is praying for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: