Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A repeating Tenkai star? Possible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: A repeating Tenkai star? Possible? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

like make the tenkai star, like .... Tir or something, they've never done this, maybe a repeating Tenkai would be a nice change of pace, considering they've been introducing alot of useless tenkai -- lazlo, freyjadour...

maybe just make the hero, into someone familiar, so we can relate to him more, and so on.........

so repeating tenkai? thoughts?

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well i think they give the tenkai to someone else... the story is about true rune... can someone bare 2 true rune...? i think one true rune cursed the most the tenkai enough.. but perhaps.. Thomas in Suikoden 3... he only one that potential now.. he has no True Rune.. perhaps he will be the repeating Tenkai.. who knows..

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, the idea is boring. The Tenkai of each game usually has an attachment to the land in which the game is set in, without that attatchment, the game would become hard to believe that the hero really had motivation to fight the enemy and even harder to believe the citizens of the nation/s were to get behind him.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How were Freyjadour or Lazlo any more useless than Tir, Rou, or Thomas?

Meh, with the Tenkai's right now I woudn't like it much. Their stories seem to be mostly over by the time the game finishes: Tir leaves his country in exile with Gremio, Riou travels with Jowy and Nanami, Thomas is still overseeing Budehuc, Lazlo was intended to become heir to the Kingdom of Obel by Lino, and Frey returned home to Falena, where he possibly became Commander of the Queen's Knights. There's not a lot left to tell about them witho inventing something, which would smack of desperation in the story to me.

Besides, one of the things I really like about the Tenkai's is they're all deeply related to the setting where the game takes place. Tir's story would lose a lot of oomph if he wasn't Teo's son; Riou wouldn't have quite the same edge if Genkaku wasn't a general in the Jowston army and he hadn't grown up in Highland, Thomas wasn't from Zexen/Grasslands but that's where he finds himself and his firiends and comes to love it, Lazlo is the lost son of Lino and Duke Fingerhut's former son and that gives him a connection to the entire events of SIV, and Freyjadour, well, you can't get more connected than being the Queen's son, can you?

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So perhaps, a game taking place in a land we've seen (omg we need that, I'm tired of "new" areas)... Zexen-Grassland, Dunan-Northern Toran, Southern Toran-Former Kooluk, Island nations....

y'know, areas like that...

and then we can see an old tenkai and it would make sense, Right?

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:
So perhaps, a game taking place in a land we've seen (omg we need that, I'm tired of "new" areas)... Zexen-Grassland, Dunan-Northern Toran, Southern Toran-Former Kooluk, Island nations....

In a sense it would, but you know Konami would have a different hero, they're just not the type to re-use main characters like that.
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah you have a point, but I'm really anxious and I want them to return this series to the mainland, no more falena/island nations ;_; and I kinda want to see a familiar face rendered in full 3D... c'mon a Riou in all his 3D glory, how awesome would that be...

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Am I the only person who's more interested in the INF/Gaien/Falena/Armes region than I am on the mainland territories?

I've thought the settings for the last couple of games have been outstanding. I'd like to see them keep on the Southern continent for a while; we already know where most things are in the north. :D

John Layfield wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andarc

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Am I the only person who's more interested in the INF/Gaien/Falena/Armes region than I am on the mainland territories?

I've thought the settings for the last couple of games have been outstanding. I'd like to see them keep on the Southern continent for a while; we already know where most things are in the north. :D

but the southern areas were just dull, am I the only one who thinks that if we keep going south of armes we'd reach outlands/Harmonia, and it's not that far...?

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought they were a lot more varied than the northern ones, like Falena being a river conrinent and the Island Nations being....well, small nations made of islands united (eventually) in one federation. That's a lot more interesting to me than Toran (which was pretty temperate and kind of dull, especially in places like Morovia) or even Jowston/Highland (kind of a little bit of everything rolled into one). I mean, I liked them, but I think both Suikoden IV and Suikoden V had more interesting locals. (Although V gets a bit hodgepodgy - look, mountains! Look, ice region! Desert region! Water region! Here there be Dragons! But I think it works a bit better here, just because well, Falena is a lot bigger than Jowston.)

And Harmonia is north of Falena, Armes, etc., not south. :?

John Layfield wrote:
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andarc wrote:

If you really wanted an old Tenkai in an old land you could just replay one of the old games. . . tada! perfect solution.

Lightning halberd

154551 Potch
143 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oppenheimer wrote:
Andarc wrote:

If you really wanted an old Tenkai in an old land you could just replay one of the old games. . . tada! perfect solution.

Interesting idea, because, well ya know... That's why I'm in the S6 speculation board.... because I wanna go back and play a game I've played countless times, yep I love your logic...

I know what your argument is gonna be, I'm gonna counter it before you even post again, simply put, I like familiarity, I wanna see familiar characters, familiar regions, but with new stories, or perhaps further develop stories in that region.. perhaps learn moreo f Howling Voice guild or harmonia altogether, perhaps see what happens in land-formerly-known-as-kooluk 150 years later... but apparently things like these dont interest you, so I suppose it would mean... GASP... you didnt need to post in this thread... or perhaps ... post an opinion rather than a sarcastic snide remark.... Ta-da! Perfect solution!

Undaunted Men in Blue

272868 Potch
0 Soldiers
658194 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't like it at all if they repeated a Tenkai or an area. =\ IMO, it'd be silly to waste an entire game on countries and characters we're already familiar with instead of exploring more of the Suikoden world. I would say that the former heroes can star in their own sidegames, but even then, what's the point? Their stories are basically done, unless they come back in future games as Stars of Destiny.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Would you like the story to be same too?

Quote:

yeah you have a point, but I'm really anxious and I want them to return this series to the mainland, no more falena/island nations ;_; and I kinda want to see a familiar face rendered in full 3D... c'mon a Riou in all his 3D glory, how awesome would that be...

Aside from the Nameless Lands, Harmonia, and Western Tinto, we've already seen everything there is to see on the northern continent. Harmonia needs to remain in mystery for the series to work though. The next place that we would visit chronologically would be the Western Continent, as trends have shown. I'm opposed to that at this point though.

Quote:

Interesting idea, because, well ya know... That's why I'm in the S6 speculation board.... because I wanna go back and play a game I've played countless times, yep I love your logic...

I agree with Oppenheimer - it does sound like you just want the same games again.

The point everyone seems to have neglected so far is that with the exception of Suikoden 3, they pretty much already are the same character! The only difference they have is the people that they draw to them. Thus, having the same tenkai would result in a far too similar set of stars - not identical, but too similar still.

"Familiarity" may sound nice, but trust me, it would get too dull too fast, especially with Suikoden. There's enough familiarity in Suikoden as it is with the runes, stars of destiny, etc, and I've heard of people being turned away from the series because of just that much.

So no, it is not possible for there to be a repeating Tenkai star.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well to be fair, it's not "not possible" to have a repeating Tenkai Star, Yvl. However, it is indeed very unlikely.

I actually think that repeating area can't be THAT bad for some people. There are people who want to see a Suikoden game based on the Succession War anyways which would take place in the same area as Suikoden I's Scarlet Moon Empire. So the market is definitely there, though not many.

As for my own opinion about repeating Tenkai Star, I suppose it would depend on how well the storyline is integrated into the game. Would it make sense to have that Tenkai Star there and be the leader?

Say for example, Tir McDohl. This is the guy that is after the end of Suikoden I, he simply ran away because he didn't want to get close to anyone anymore because his friends would die due to Souleater Rune's curse. Therefore, it is illogical to see him leading the army again because that'd require him to get close to other people than Gremio (who can't be eaten by Souleater for the second time).

But on the other hand, we have for example Frey. I'm taking a guess here, but I have a feeling that the official ending would be the one where he stayed behind in Falena to help Lymsleia better the Queendom of Falena. If there is new conflict going on, as the leader of the Queen's Knights, I think it would make sense if Frey once again lead the army.

On a third hand, what about Riou? He's not cursed like Tir, but he didn't stay in his "homeland" either. Can he make a good returning Tenkai Star? To me, it depends on how well the development is. Let's assume that Riou travelled with Jowy and Nanami to Harmonia. They only knew Jillia and Pilika there. Not many people at all. Then there's conflict happening. Would it make sense for Riou to be the one leading these "strangers with no ties with him"? Possible, but kind of hard to me. If Konami can develop the early part of the game to give powerful image to the players on how Riou developed his feelings and getting attached to Harmonia, then I'd believe the story. But if he was just there and become "LOOK! I got Bright Shield Rune, so I'll lead your army", then it sucks badly.

In the end, I think I wouldn't mind a returning Tenkai Star as long as 90% of the game is still fresh. Just because I don't mind seeing Frey again as the Tenkai Star, it doesn't mean that I want to see Wabon, Wasil, Fuwalafuwalu, Byakuren, Flail, and other minor characters again to complete the Tablet of Stars.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: