Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What would you want in future Suikodens?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: What would you want in future Suikodens? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not just talking about Suikoden V, but any future Suikoden. I've had some wishes in mind:

1. Make the main character female. Yeah, she may be mute and have little personality like her forefathers, but it'd be a different step, especially for attracting more girl gamers to the Suikoden series. I hope I don't sound sexist... :oops:

2. Have two characters with totally opposite Runes first be friends, then fight each other, and become friends again. No, no, no, I'm NOT talking about Riou and Jowy. The Black Sword and Bright Shield Runes were opposites, but they still belonged to the same Rune. What I mean is having one character have a unique Rune from the Shield, and the other the total opposite from the Sword, like Fire vs. Water, Peace vs. War, Light vs. Dark, etc.

This would open up not only another betrayal story, but give us more insight about the Runes themselves and their warring natures.

3. Being able to travel across ALL the verified lands in the Suikoden series and meet True Rune bearers or other popular characters during your journey, within a specific timeframe, of course. You can't meet Rita after the 2nd Fire Bringer War, DUH. ^^;; Your army base could be a nomadic caravan of sorts, like how S4's base was mobile. Yeah, it'd be a large game, but look at how advanced 2005 systems have become compared to 1990 systems.

4. Giving the main character a voice. Suikoden IV minor spoiler below. For those who don't want to read, I just say that either we should be past the stage of mute characters, or it's a tradition.

Come on, I was LAUGHING when Snowe offered Hero IV the torch and he waved his hands around stupidly! I think either we're past that stage, or it's become a tradition for mute main characters. Either way, I'm just ticked about it.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.

Last edited by Benit149 on Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No more gameplay Deevolution.

The Simplicity of SIV's Gameplay vs. SIII's gameplay is just stupid.

What purpose does removing the skill system, taking parties down to 4 in size and the like.

And why, oh why, did they remove the ability to equip/improve weapons/change runes for the whole party at once? What purpose did this serve?

And as far as story goes, since previous SIV related words are mechanical, here's spoiler space:

The Complete extinction of cat people. I'm redundant in saying, I hate the obsession with cat people.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fixed the little SIV spoiler from my first post here. And here's another one below:

I wasn't too gung ho about the cat race either. But it wasn't as bad as the Winglies or the Duck Clan. I felt like I was playing Kingdom Hearts instead of Suikoden III there for a second.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you want in future Suikodens? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... I have an extremely vast imagination therefore I think it's best I quote your thoughts and make that the subjects... let me begin then...

1.>Main Character<
I would say that like Legend of Mana, I would want the main character to a choice of female or male.... NO better still I want the main character to be a custom one, cerate your own character which is unique to you so you get more interested in the game... like more emotional knowing that that is YOU... make sense? I don't mind if the character is yet another silnent protagonist but whatever you know? silent ones have something to hide...

2.>Opposing runes for the main character and other<
Well if anything, I would say that the suikoden series is based on choice (come on... one hundred and eight characters to choose from) therefore a choice should be here also... not an easy one either... it would be like pick the rune of good and that person follows you/joins//des whatever. Pick the rune of evil and all your friends will this/ one of the stars of destiny will be this/ half your stars of destiny will have lowered that. understand? consequences...

3.>travelling and lands<
Well... let me think of something not said before... TIME TRAVEL!!! yeah yeah yeah I know, Never in a suikoden game right? well if true runes are possible then why not imagine one to travel back in time and back to the present time? you could go back and save people who died... or for something... and most importantly... Connect all the suikoden landmarks known from suikoden one to suikoden four...

4.>Voices<
Hmmm... I seriously don't mind whether the main character can talk or not. But if he or she can then the voice BETTER not be a crap one... I don't want an evil looking character with a voice like a witch or an annoying voice... the voices might just annoy me enough to flame the game... well whatever the decision, it better not be for the worse...

Yeah... I think people should use hos >< as a guide to answer here... if they want they can add more, I will just reply to those new ones hehehe...

JNX out
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Well if anything, I would say that the suikoden series is based on choice (come on... one hundred and eight characters to choose from) therefore a choice should be here also... not an easy one either... it would be like pick the rune of good and that person follows you/joins//des whatever. Pick the rune of evil and all your friends will this/ one of the stars of destiny will be this/ half your stars of destiny will have lowered that. understand? consequences...

That'd be original to have a consequential choice for the main lead, not to mention the additional gender choice a la Star Ocean II, although the question of what's canon would come into play. But this game doesn't exist, so it doesn't matter. 8)

The replay value would skyrocket with the number of potential endings between you and your other lead character. And it wouldn't be Runes of good or evil, really. The Suikoden series is based on Order vs. Chaos.

Quote:
Well... let me think of something not said before... TIME TRAVEL!!! yeah yeah yeah I know, Never in a suikoden game right? well if true runes are possible then why not imagine one to travel back in time and back to the present time? you could go back and save people who died... or for something... and most importantly... Connect all the suikoden landmarks known from suikoden one to suikoden four...

I get the chills with time travel. Leknaat would be spanking the crap out of the poor lead for screwing with physics. :wink: No, I just don't see it. If you really want time on your side, perhaps the lead would already have a True Rune and be immortal, and as the game goes on, you go through events as a bystander through centuries until it's your turn to do some destiny goodness. Meanwhile, you say absolutely nothing about your Rune unless necessary. You'd get to experience what immortality is like firsthand instead of hearing about it.

Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also like JNX's idea about character customizing. At the screen where you usually choose the name for the hero, you would also go to another screen where you decide what sex the hero will be, the clothes, weapon choice, hair style and color, and on and on. There could always be a default male and female archetype too, in case you don't want to customize.

Things I'd like to see:
-More decent mini-games.
-Castle customizing. (You choose the layout of the castle and where the shops will be placed. You know, like Theme Park style, hehe. This option would be available once you recruit an SoD who is an architect. :D)
-Rune building. Much like the armorer and tailor system, I'd like to be able to collect raw materials to build my own runes.

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually don't like the customized main character idea. It might work if it's a one-off game (like most of the other RPG series), but Suikoden is different. Suikoden's greatness lies on the deep story/background. And if we're able to customize our main character, I could already imagine the endless "which one is the correct look/name/whatever of the main character?" questions. Even a simple choice of 3 like the Flame Champion choices in Suikoden III already caused a bit of confusion. So I don't think it'd be wise to have a customizable main character (as in choosing gender, look, weapon, characteristic, etc) because the main character is a very important part of the game/story. So it has to be set for the game to maintain its seriousness and deep story.

For the customization, what I like to be customized is the minor things. I feel that customization should add something to the game, but not to the extent of stealing away the attention from the storyline. So for example, customizing castle layout. I would definitely like that to be in the game, but not if it becomes like a Sim game where we can build whatever we want. I want Suikoden to be an RPG, not a Sim game. What I'd like is probably more like a simple "choose to put something where" (using North Window as an example, maybe we could choose where we want the dojo in, or where the observation tower is, etc while keeping the main hall and main building set in there). So in the end, customization is something I would have, but only minimally.

What I would also like to have more is choices of characters. 108 Star of Destinies are a lot, but I would love it even more if there are more choices of characters to choose from (like Valeria-Kasumi, or the 3 L-size monsters in Suikoden II). Again, only for the "not so important" characters. While Kasumi and Valeria by no means unimportant characters, their roles didn't really affect the storyline. So I wouldn't like to have to choose if it comes down to, for example, Miklotov-Camus or Flik-Viktor because all 4 of them have big importance in the game.

I would also like to have a longer game. Suikoden is good, and the longer it is, the better (longer as in good make sense storyline, not longer because they stall everything).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

BAsically Creating a game in Suikoden 2's image. Suikoden 1 is my faviote but 2 has a variety of improvments.

Examples include bringing back six slots battles, Have a well developed plot,Have the the stars have personality. Good localization, BRING PREVIOUS STARS BACK, The compaser for 1 and 2 i forget her name has to do the soundtrack for it. HAve references to previous games, being able to load data from 1 2 or 3 into it ( or better yet all of the games with possible exception to 4)
again PREVIOUS STARS OF DESTINY MUST BE IN IT, ESPECIALLY pesmerga,and a previous true rune holder that ISNT s4's hero.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The replay value would skyrocket with the number of potential endings between you and your other lead character. And it wouldn't be Runes of good or evil, really. The Suikoden series is based on Order vs. Chaos.

I like that... I also want te replay value to be super high... like chrono cross lol with around eight or twelve endings to obtain as two different characters in different parts of the game...

As for the runes of good and evil thing... yeah I know, I was rushing my post and couldn't really think of what to say... maybe I was thinking, a person who gets a rune and walks in the path of good, then the other gets a rune and walks in the path of evil (me) like te black sword rune and bright shield rune... they are not good or evil but somehow seem it with the opposing looks, black and white, sword against shield... you know what I mean...

Quote:
I get the chills with time travel. Leknaat would be spanking the crap out of the poor lead for screwing with physics. No, I just don't see it. If you really want time on your side,

HMPH! come on bredren... stop being narrow minded here, it's just an expectation or a pointless imagination of mine... :cry: anyway, with time travel, could come great responsibility.... you can either travel back in time, every time someone close dies or an enemy boss dies... and come back when ever, like you finish a boss... but have to quickly make a decision... you can either travel back in time to get this person to join (suikoden 1), or travel back a further time (suikoden 2) to get that person... meaning that the variety will be HUGE!!! having to choose between suikoden one and suikoden two characters... and maybe some suikoden three and four as well...

Quote:
perhaps the lead would already have a True Rune and be immortal, and as the game goes on, you go through events as a bystander through centuries until it's your turn to do some destiny goodness. Meanwhile, you say absolutely nothing about your Rune unless necessary. You'd get to experience what immortality is like firsthand instead of hearing about it.

That there my friend... would not really be a good idea... in my opinion, if you want that you might as well use gameshark codes... i mean... immortality?! what is the point of having fights? bossfights or any sort of battles then?

Quote:
I also like JNX's idea about character customizing. At the screen where you usually choose the name for the hero, you would also go to another screen where you decide what sex the hero will be, the clothes, weapon choice, hair style and color, and on and on. There could always be a default male and female archetype too, in case you don't want to customize.

Thank You... customising your characters allow you to have a better experience... like you see the main characters family get slaughtered? you would get angry and berserk and all that... you see a character resembling you, have his/her family get slaughtered... and boom... we have a great clash of emotions... sadness and anger...

Quote:
-More decent mini-games.

Same here man... I like whack a mole and that cooking contest in suikoden two... I didn't really like the rope climbing game, I did like in suikoden one the par cards game and the coin under the cup game... easy money they were hehehe... the chinchirorin (spelt right?) was also rather fun and annoying...lol in whack a mole my highest score was I think around five hundred and eighty something in the ultimate mode...lol... I sometimes moved my jowpad along with the screen lol...

Quote:
-Castle customizing. (You choose the layout of the castle and where the shops will be placed. You know, like Theme Park style, hehe. This option would be available once you recruit an SoD who is an architect. )

Amen... I love this Idea... but wouldn't it make the game more... sims? nevermind, I would make my castle an evil blacked out place, with creepy dragon statues and such... a place for demons mwa ha ha ha haa... :twisted:

Quote:
-Rune building. Much like the armorer and tailor system, I'd like to be able to collect raw materials to build my own runes.

I quite like this idea... not bad... I would wonder though... what would happen if you somehow break down true runes and put two true runes together using their material? lol yeah... impossible and crazy lol

Quote:
I actually don't like the customized main character idea. It might work if it's a one-off game (like most of the other RPG series), but Suikoden is different. Suikoden's greatness lies on the deep story/background. And if we're able to customize our main character, I could already imagine the endless "which one is the correct look/name/whatever of the main character?" questions. Even a simple choice of 3 like the Flame Champion choices in Suikoden III already caused a bit of confusion. So I don't think it'd be wise to have a customizable main character (as in choosing gender, look, weapon, characteristic, etc) because the main character is a very important part of the game/story. So it has to be set for the game to maintain its seriousness and deep story.

And so it shall by having the main character suit your likings and resembling you in the suiko world... a rebel doesn't suit everyone... an ex highland soldier doesn' suit everyone (or a rebel dressed character again) but ... well you know whatever right? lol

JNX out
ndbsolar

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Make a game with the battle system of suikoden 1+2

ENGLISH SUIKOGAIDENS!!!!!!!

BRING BACK MURAYAMA!!!!!!!

I know all this will never happen,but I can dream cant I?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

JNX wrote:
And so it shall by having the main character suit your likings and resembling you in the suiko world...

But the point remains there can't be a character that would fully resemble you. And if they give say 10 different choices, then basically they'd have to have 10 different paths in the game to suit those 10 choices. So in the end, it's very impractical to have customizable main character.

I believe the more practical solution is to have more choices in the main character's answers/reactions. For example in Suikoden I, Tir might not talk much, but throughout his actions, we could see his personality based on how we want him to be. Choosing to execute Kraze, Milich, Kwanda would make him a hotheaded character, while choosing to forgive them would give him a whole different personality. So I don't mind having mute main character because we see their personality through their actions/decisions. That's good enough for me.

JNX wrote:
a rebel doesn't suit everyone... an ex highland soldier doesn' suit everyone (or a rebel dressed character again)

I agree that they don't suit everyone, but they perfectly suit the storyline. Tir has to be Teo's son and from SME to have the same effect as in the game. It wouldn't be the same if Tir is simply a mercenary. Riou has to be from Highland and Jowy's best friend, that way he'd have conflict going on because he's facing his own nation and best friend. Things like the background has to be set so that it would complement the storyline.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I agree that they don't suit everyone, but they perfectly suit the storyline. Tir has to be Teo's son and from SME to have the same effect as in the game. It wouldn't be the same if Tir is simply a mercenary. Riou has to be from Highland and Jowy's best friend, that way he'd have conflict going on because he's facing his own nation and best friend. Things like the background has to be set so that it would complement the storyline.

True... but I think I made a mistke there... that what I said was not meant to be there... what I am trying to say with the customisation is... you are only customising the appearance of things therefore, not changing the story at all... you are not changing history, friends or family, just your weapon, appearance and that's all...

As for the gender change, that can easily be sorted out...just change the words he,his and all that to her,she and so on... if a girl feel for the male hero, then have a male fall for the female and so on... there would be a huge variety making the replay value shoot up... this is an imagination after all lol...

I understand about that Jowy Riou and Tir Mcdohl thing... just now, I have no idea why I put that down :? okay I think I should go take a lie-down...

JNX out
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow there are some pretty good ideas and i think almost in the same way like you guys,like the castle full customization,or the posibility to create runes with materials and more and decent mini-games.I think in the future the developers of the Suikoden series will bring us great games,because (and this is just my opinion)they are done with the experimental stege of the series,and now they know what they can do,specially with all the softwares and hardwares available.

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

JNX wrote:
what I am trying to say with the customisation is... you are only customising the appearance of things therefore, not changing the story at all... you are not changing history, friends or family, just your weapon, appearance and that's all...

Customizable appearance could be acceptable, but I think it goes back again to how deep the customization is.

Like for example, using Suikoden II that is, if we have a female main character, it might not be suitable because there should be no woman in the Unicorn Brigade. On the other hand, it might be acceptable if we only change Riou into having blue spiky hair because there's no rule when it comes to hair style and color.

I personally think that appearance customization could work if it is done only on unimportant things (such as clothes color, appearance of weapon -not the type of weapon-, whether having accessories or not -such as bandanna or something-, etc). If there should be a choice of male or female main character, I would prefer to have 2 different characters (like Star Ocean 2) with different background. That way, things would still make sense despite the gender difference.

But in the end, I would prefer very minimum customization on appearance. I like it official look to prevent confusion.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Character customization would be certainly sweet, but its unrealistic. No matter how much I want, its just too difficlut to make a game with everything given the limits of our technology. Castle customizing would also be awesome but that would also make it that there would be very limited cut-scenes involving your homebase, where you will likely spend much of your time. Maybe if you could place the shops, but there was a preset shell that they would be in, albeit a chimney here, an oven there. It would be a challenge to do such things but they did it in other games so why not Suikoden (other games like Dark Cloud).

I really liked the 2 lines of 3 battle system, and would prefer that to the dinky 2 by 2 battle system they have adopted now. It really limits what I can do in the random battles and especially in boss fights. I hope they create innovations in the big group battling system. Also, the skills and the E-S ranking system was so good. Why they left it is unbeknownst to me.

O well, we can dream can't we?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: