Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Equus wrote:

That's odd. The EB and Gamestop near me up here make use of an automated recording, so I kinda doubt that they would "forget", unless there was an extreme case of operator error and they just screwed up in putting you in the system. Given the level of the average retail employee in most chains, it's not as if that would be surprising or anything, but still.

Sorry, I meant 'I gave them the wrong number', instead of 'a gave'. I just get this paranoid feeling they won't call me until a week later, even if the game is there. I'd still shop at EB, but if I do pre-order, I'll do what I did before, constantly check on them even if they don't call me.

Anyway, I've played the game a bit, and it reminds me of the good ol days of 2-d games. Sure I like nice graphics and all, but I missed the long games with text. Reminds me of Saga Frontier and Xenogears in terms of field so far. Gameplay, the closet I can remeber is probably Thousand Arms. Where you have to build relationships, and get the girls to help you power up.
I'm currently playing with the English voices so far, since I wanted to go through the English ones first, and then the Japanese ones. At the moment, I dislike the English voices. Mainly because I don't feel they portray the characters well. Lyner I find to lack emotion sometimes, Aurica doesn't seem soft or quiet enough in order for me to believe she's a quiet person. I found Misha's voice to be annoying sometimes, so I decided to switch to the jpn version instead. Turns out I don't like Misha's voice in either language, and actually thought she sounded worse in Japanese. It's mainly her pitch that bugs me. I still like Misha though. Like the other characters, they have some good qualities to them.
Honestly, I think the best thing about this game, are the songs. The opening alone was what drew me into it. As I was playing through the game, the game music was nicely done, matched with the areas you were in, and sounded suitable for a videogame. What I mean is, some games, like Xenosaga for example, didn't have these kind of music, so it felt more like a playable movie, then a story. Ar Tonelico actually did a nice job in my opinion.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I need ask everyone who has this game something.

I haven't started Ar Tonelico because I'm finishing up Rogue Galaxy. I don't need to play through multiple games all at once; the story gets ruined that way.

But I've heard an alarming rumor that playing/saving this game on your PS3 corrupts your data. Someone I knew saw it on a forum named Otaku . . . something like that. But anyway, so far it's the only case that I've ever heard of despite not seeing the actual post myself. Maybe this is because not a lot of people have PS3s and a few of them are less likely to be playing Rogue Galaxy either.

So this question goes out to the PS3 gamers that are currently playing through the title. Have you heard of something like what I mentioned? Or even more important, has anything happened to your PS3 while playing this game?

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do not have a PS3, but yeah, it happens. Someone that works for NIS at another forum I go to (the Penny-Arcade forums, they're down at the moment, so I can't provide a link) said they were getting a lot of calls about it.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wraithrune

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luckily its still Ps2 for me, The game seems pretty nice, character developments and stuff. Though there's once when I dive into Aurelia and I didn't have enough dive points and ended up being kicked out. Then the Tv Screen just froze black and gray in front of my eyes :/

Anyway, I was going to restart anyway, but does the game freeze sometimes? (so I can prepare myself and not have a heart attack ^^)

Just asking in case it was my Ps2, its pretty old now so maybe... Anyway I am just 3 hours into the game.

Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is at the top of my stack of games to play! Yes, that's because it's the most recent game, so obviously I'd put it on top. I'm just glad that it's a turn based RPG. These days, yes, I'll probably bring that up a lot since too many people seem to think that turn based RPG are too old school for this day and age and we should always love new stuff like action RPGs! Anyways, from what I took out of the little bit I've read of this, seems a bit like a dating sim and and RPG. You build up your relationship with your song girls kinda like a dating sim, and it's an RPG in battle. Sounds good to me! Maybe I'll get around to playing it next month, who knows?

~Uguu!~
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm 30 hours into it right now. All I can say is if you had a great time playing the Atelier Iris series, then you should pick this game up. The plot is a darker although you won't realize it until later into the game. And the diving system (regardless of innuendos galore) really develops Misha and Aurica's characters.

Battles are turn-based like their predecessors with a few extra concepts to it. Still, in the end you're still going to see it as a turn based battle. I only see two minor hits regarding the battle system. Number one, it's too easy. If you equip your characters with the right graphic nodes (things that you attach to armor to increase stats) then you're set for the game. And number two, the only way to ensure rare item drops is to build up this one meter. To raise that meter, you pretty much have to attack the enemy a lot of times. If you overpower an enemy, you'll barely get any item drops. So you have to choose: overpower your characters so they can plow through the game; or purposely keep low level weapons just to fight longer fights and get lots of item drops.

And finally, the biggest gripe I have with this game (and most R.P.G.s nowadays) is the lack of a world map. I can't stand this point and click nonsense that's so popular now. I don't know why developers can't realize the necessity of the world map. People are going to get tired if they can only explore inside locations. You need a world map in order to give them a different type of exploring so they won't get bored. In my personal opinion, you have no business making RPGs if you're trying to cut costs down. Exploration is vital in RPGs and you won't even give us a world map? Bah

I also discovered the root cause of that PS3 glitch. And it's not just Ar Tonelico, it's with just about every PS2 game. It's actually a very simple explanation.

The controllers on the console are wireless and the only way to charge them (currently) is through a USB connection. When these controllers are low in battery, they sometimes disconnect from the console.

The "glitch" occurs when controllers die on you during saving or loading files. Usually you get a message in the old games saying not to remove the controller while you're dealing with the memory card. When the controller dies during saving or loading, it's pretty much like removing the controller. This is when data becomes corrupted.

This doesn't happen to me because I have 2 controllers that I switch out every playthrough. While I'm using one, the other is always charging. But most people won't have this luxury because controllers cost $50 and there aren't that many multiplayer games.

Just in case though I play with the USB cord attached to my controller all the time. I haven't experienced any trouble yet.

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I recommend this for any fan of Atelier Iris. It's a nice turn based battle system same as the FF ATB gauge, and the Reyvateil Songs are pretty sueful. It's kind of like a remix of Thousand Arms, but that is just because of the unique system of getting to know your girls. I really like this, and I'm still gonna keep playing it... :D

Right now, I'm really into the fairy costume Misha has. It's +1000 MP, so it's useful. Add the ring which lessens P cost, and that will last a LONG time of charging. Even without Tranquility.

LordKratos

Seraphim Of Kooluk

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although I never played Ar Tenilico but I heard it had a very unique battle system and it looked like it might be pretty good, So I'm kind of thinking of buying it... What do you guys think about that?
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LordKratos wrote:
Although I never played Ar Tenilico but I heard it had a very unique battle system and it looked like it might be pretty good, So I'm kind of thinking of buying it... What do you guys think about that?

It depends on your taste.
Music is main selling point for me, and the artwork is great.
The Battle system is turn based, and like Cedric pointed out, it's simple. You can choose to attack, use items, or defend. I find the best part of the BS are the combos. The combos can only be activated though, if your Reyvateil is about be attacked by 3 rings around her. Then the entire party has to defend her.
It really depends on you. The game is more old school then your normal RPG. So if you liked the 2-d games, then you'll like this game.
It's kind of like Grandia(the first one), in terms of the fields.
I agree with Cedric though, that it would be nice to have a world map. Although, considering the world, it would be a bit hard to have such a thing. The world is a tower, and the world map would only work for the lower parts of the tower.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After playing through most of the game now, I'm willing to forgive the lack of the world map for this instance. Most of the world was already destroyed by the previous 2 disasters prior to the game's setting. If we had a world map, it would have been very small and detrimental to the exploration theme. Most of the locations are parts of the tower anyway, so there isn't much use for a world map. So I let it slide this time

As for whether or not Kratos or any mainstream fan will enjoy it, I offer the following. If you start this game expecting the next Final Fantasy or any next big epic, then you will come out disappointed. Come into it with moderate expectations and you'll find that it's a good game once you give it a chance.

As with most RPGs its draw is its storyline. While it's not anything we haven't seen before, it still manages to drop a few surprises here and there. Without saying too much about it, the antagonists change a lot as you start to uncover who's really behind certain events.

But the other draw to this game is the ability to get to know your heroine partners. In order to gain access to the ladies' strong spells, you have to go through what I can only describe as a quasi-mini game. It's like a simplified and shorter version of a Text-RPG like Radical Dreamers and Suikogaiden. The main game will requires you to go through the preliminary levels as part of the plot, but the later levels are optional.

Most likely, players will continue to "Dive" into the deeper levels of the girls' minds just to unlock the spells or just because it's fun to do so. The main character development of the girls occurs here. You'll find out stuff about their pasts and feelings that you normally wouldn't know until later in the game. These girls have very complex character development which should make fans of that sort of thing very happy.

It's one of the shorter RPGs but you still have a good share of things to do. It should keep you busy for a while. Aside from diving, you still have to make items just like the Atelier Iris games, but it's not as complex. There's no experimentation with items in this game sadly. But this series isn't focused on item creation like those games anyway. Some people might opt to collect all of the cards which show enemies, etc. You can also collect certain art pictures which can be viewed right when they show up in the game or in the Extra menu (beat game once).

Most people will probably replay this game thanks to a game/ending altering decision in the middle of the game or so. From those two paths, multiple endings diverge from there. And then there are a couple of bad endings to boot. Replaying time can be cut short by multiple saved files, so it shouldn't be that bad. But I think I'll be taking a break from the game before taking the alternate path, myself. This is the type of game that gets somewhat tedious if you don't take breaks.

Innuendo . . . yeah there's a generous amount of it. I wouldn't recommend playing it in front of others. Nothing too bad, it might just be awkward that's all. Although, for anime fans into the teardrop humor, you'll like every minute of it.

Thanks to the diving system, this game is different from a lot of the mainstream RPGs. If you like the stuff that was just mentioned and you're looking for a breather RPG, then pick this game up right now. And hey, if you act fast, you might still be able to get the game with the neat but spoilerific art book.

Window-pecking Humming Birds

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was still wondering if I should get Ar Tonelico until I saw the part " over 300 creatable items".
I just love creating items! The next time I have the chance, I will get it even though I'm still not done with Tales of the Abyss.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Got this game as a gift the other day, for the PS2.

I've only been a couple hours into the game, but so far, I'm enjoying it. The graphics are cutesy sprites, although the movement feels oddly like Pokemon or some other game (like, you move faster horizontally than vertically, what the hell's wrong). Battles are pretty simple, although I do like that bit wherein skills cost a bit of your HP, that's a pretty fun twist that I like. Radolf's skill reminds me of the Falcon Rune, though.

The dive system is interesting, although it seems odd that I have too many DP at this point. I've just beaten that gray insect thing, with Radolf and redhead girl just left your party.

Enhancements are interesting, although I don't have much at the moment, the best one I have is this thing that gives +100 HP and +25 attack and defense, I have it on Lyner.

Storyline seems pretty good, I like the characters. Misha's a fun girl. Jack was kinda okay, but his voice seems a little off. Maybe it's just me, heh. Lyner reminded me of that anime I never watch (how do you call it? Full Metal something...) so I was kinda annoyed at first, but it all turns out good.

Although Ayatane still has the best-looking gear so far. :P

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes! There's a sequel! They're currently developing this game and many expect the game to be released in Japan later this year. Sadly, this means that we may have to wait until Winter or the early part of 2008. But the news of the sequel is better than no news at all!

Just by going on the looks of the new Reivateils alone, it seems like we have characters that give off the Misha (Reivateil in Purple) and Shurelia (Reivateil in white) feel.

Looking at the screens, they seem to have detailed the background of the fights and areas much better than the first game.

I see dive points, so we're probably diving once again. I wouldn't change much about the theme of the last game including the certain uneasy talk topics, so hopefully they left that kind of stuff in there.

As for the characters, they don't get better than Misha. If anyone even comes close to her, then I'll be satisfied.

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard about this earlier, but no pictures.
Thanks for posting the pics.

The guy looks more serious then Lyner was. I'm not too fond on how his armor looks, but the girls look great. I would like a more active world, but I'll be happy with just the tower as well.

Is this a direct sequel, or is it something like Final Fantasy, and it's the same elements, but completely different story.

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No details were posted. The only thing I know is that it's currently in development for the Playstation 2 for Japan. Darn, I was hoping that I'd see a PS3 RPG soon (I don't count Enchanted Arms) but it's not like they need PS3 graphics for Ar Tonelico games anyway.

But to call this game Ar Tonelico, they'd need the tower correct? That and the surprisingly detailed history of the series' past events (timeline in the art book, etc.) suggests that it should at least be somewhat connected to the first one.

Perhaps some kind soul that knows a bit of Japanese would care to skim over the article and see if there's anything important? Only if you're interested in the game of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: