Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

recommend a PC RPG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: recommend a PC RPG Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone have any role playing games on their personal computer which they think is quite a good game? I have tried looking but most of the ones I find are rather wierd, strange and unexciting role playing games, like myst for example even though myst 4 is suppose to be a blast. I'm looking foe something along the lines of suikoden 1 and suikoden 2, but also wouldn't mind something which are similar to the aspects of the elder scrolls three bloodmoon, elder scrolls three : tirbunal and finally elder scroll three : morrowind. I am currently looking forward to elder scrolls VI : oblivian. But I want to get more than just one role playing game even though it looks as though it will last very long just like morrowind.

I don't want something a game that is a mmorpg (massive multiplayer online role playin game) which basically requires you to either BETA test a game with bugs in it or a pay monthly basis to allow you to log into your account and continue playing... games like these are Ragnarok online, World of Warcraft (even though that game is extremely good!) and FF X1 which looks a little boring. plus I care not much for massive multiplaer online games because they have no real objective, asode from training to be the best, there is no stroyline, you can't sneak up on other players and just attack and kill them... how fun it is not... but some mmo games are exceptional hehehe cough World of Warcraft cough.

well then, anyone care to reccomend a personal computer role playing game? though with the amount of PC gamers in this forum (i'm guessing there aren't many) I'd say I won't get more than 10 role playing games recommended to me... lets see...
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dungeon Siege is a pretty fun game, it has a fun single player mode and online play, and there are no monthly requirements. It isn't a real innovative game or anything, but it's worth checking out. I have the original but not the expansion. And you can't go wrong with Diablo II, although you might find it a little outdated now...still a classic though that can be QUITE addicting.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Nihilive

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had a lot of fun with both of the Vampire: The Masquerade games.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hmm diablo 2 I have played and agreed, it is rather addictive for a while, vampire : masqqerade is but a few weeks old and I've seen ok previews so im looking in to it, dungeon siege... ill think about that one...
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fallout and Fallout 2 are games that ALL role-playing gamers recommend highly. I haven't played them myself, but I really, really should. I hear way too much about them.

Most PC games aren't similar at all to Japanese RPG's because they emphasize gameplay as opposed to the storyline. You get to do more, like customize your army or your HQ and fight battles instead of play a storyline.

If you liked strategy games like FFT, you definitely need to look into the following games: Jagged Alliance 2, and X-Com. JA2 is a brilliant game. You are a mercenary commander and you build a band of mercenaries wielding modern weapons to fight inside a country full of strife. You take over sectors, build mines for money, and order weapons and ammo from airports. You have to infiltrate fields, houses, and caves to try to fulfill your objectives in tactical-missions that are very similar to FFT, but more complex. You can pull things off like ambushes, surprise attacks, and fire many times with pistols, rifles, and so forth. I can't recommend Jagged Alliance 2 enough. It's probably hard to find now, since it was released in 1998, but you might come across it. Definitely play this game. It is so, so, so worth it.

Another game that's similar (and older) is X-Com: UFO Defense. I think that's the title, anyway. You are the head of the Anti-Alien organization and you build a base with ships and soldiers to fight aliens. They land on earth and you have to go to the ships to flush them out. You can research the alien technologies once you defeat them and use them against them. As a result you end up developing all sorts of crazy sci-fi weapons like guided missiles, laser beams, and huge plasma cannons. You can also build up your base and set up multiple deployment spots to help repel the alien assault. There are at least two X-com games, but I've played only the first. I think X-Com is from 1994 or 1995. It's quite old, but it's extremely good.

Those two games are very special games that really deserve attention if you're looking at PC games. They're totally old but they're instant classics and I can't believe that concepts that those games had a decade ago, when released in a console game nowadays, are considered "new" and "interesting".
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are games that role-playing gamers highly recommend eh...? interesting thanks for letting me know, I will look into this and if persuaded and tempted enough I might even get this. these two games... thanks. You haven't played them? yet you advise me to get them? well if I do get them I might send them your way or something... and if I get into them i'll tell you what I think about it... though you say you hear a lot about them so I might just hold that one back for a while unless you ask me too...

Well... yeah I know about that but, seeing that there are a huge lack of role playing games on the Xbox and I have not got my playstation 2 anymore I have to resort to getting personal computer role playing games... some of them are actually quite good in my opinion... I know that the Elder scrolls three : morrowind on the personal computer is rather good and is a long role playing game with many choices from what type of a character you want be as in what race, what your star sign is and such... there are so many different paths that you can choose from and the path of evil and/or good is open to all... and these will not affect your main quest at all... but it may affect the way you are spoken to and treated by people but that doesn't bother me much so it shouldn't bother anyone else I hope...

So... this strategy game that you advise/ recommend to me... well I am a little fan of strategy but the game details and information that you have given me is that to a real time strategy based game.. does it have that role playing game ingredient built around it? I would guess maybe not... real time strategy games are all alike... build this, take over this and so on... as you have already mentioned... well there is no story to it... then I won't been drawn into it much, they also become repetitive after the first hour or so and therefore makes me feel like I have wasted my time downl... getting this game... lol but I will look into this game that you mention as I don't want to have wasted your time... I will let you know what I think about it or any other information I come up with or find... unless you refuse to let me of course lol

"Another game that's similar (and older) is X-Com: UFO Defense. I think that's the title, anyway." I might not know what game you are refering to but I will ask around to find out the real name and then get this game if it sounds like it exceeds my needs in a game... I see this is also a real time strategy... well this one seems a whole lot like the real time strategy game known as 'Dark Reign' futuristic... has some 'once' unique features that some other real time strategy games did not... but what makes these game fun is the fact that you play as God... or a leading general or something with all these people under your command ready to fight and die for you 'though it's better to live in peace lol' I will look into this game and try to find out what it's name is but with so much real time startegy games out there I doubt I will find the right name for this game unless you got it correct...

Well... I was really looking forward to a nice role playing game to really get into... but I guess this will do for now, until I get bored again or something like that and so on... I still am interested in any role playing games for the personal computer and would appreciate it if anyone knew a good one and replied here so I can downlo... get the game/games that you mention... thanks to Arcana for replying with some adivce and thanks in advance to those who reply... if hey do... :D
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, neither Jagged Alliance 2 or X-Com are real-time strategy games.

They're strategy, very similar to the strategy RPGs you find on the Playstation, such as:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Disgaea
La Pucelle
Kartia
etc.

They're all turn based, but both X-Com and JA2 use "time points" and "action points" instead of actual turns. So if you want to run from point A to point B, it'll cost you X action points and Y time points. If you run out of one or the other, you stop moving. So it can end up that you'll stop in mid-run or something.

You also get features like line of sight, ducking, and other sneaky tricks.

Also, you get the opportunity for "interrupts" in both games, so instead of moving, let's say you stay still. If someone walks out from behind a building and you see them, you get an interrupt and get the opportunity to shoot at that character. However, you can only get them if you have enough action points left over. If instead you ran around all over the place, you won't have the time or energy to be able to aim at someone and shoot them at a moment's notice.

Neither of these games has a story that's even CLOSE to the amount of detail that any Final Fantasy game after FF IV had. You don't spend an hour doing a dungeon or a battle, then watch a story for 20 minutes. However, the strategy elements of the games are what make the games really fun, in addition to the team-building and base-building.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see... thanks. now I will definately check them out... safe bredren! :D
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fallout 1 and 2 are classics. That's plain and simple. Let me quote you what someone said about them...
Shadowman wrote:
Let me enlighten you, grasshopper. Fallout 2 is cool because it's a nonlinear, nonclassbased kickass postnuclear computer roleplaying game with a high replayability value. Fallout 2 allows you to play your character the way you want. If you want to play a goodie-two-shoes, you can. If you want to play an evil bastard, you can (Yes, you really can hit children in the groin with a sledgehammer). If you want to play a moron who can hardly talk because of his low intelligence, you can.

http://www.fearofmidgets.com/other/fallout/
That is the _nearly _ ultimate walkthrough for fallout 2. nearly ultimate because, as has been said, it's NON-LINEAR!
If that doesn't sell it for you, wait until you find all those references to movies or others (There is a reference to the Goonies in Fallout II, as well as a reference to Monty Python's Holy Grail, and those are _only_ two of them).

I am a very hard person to please, roleplaying games-wise. I liked Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X. I liked Fallouts, and I liked Suikoden.
The only game I can really recommend is Planescape: Torment. It is by Black Isle so it has the same feel as Baldur's Gate but I find it infinitely cooler.
Premise of the game: You are immortal. You do not know your name. In fact, you don't know much about yourself. You wake up in a mortuary, by a floating, talking skull with an attitude.
The rest is up to you..
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well... thanks for the information... it seems I have quite a few games to check out then... fallout and fallout 2 being the first... as soon as my current downloads finish... one day and 7 hours to go lol
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

World of Warcraft and Ragnarok Online. Don't get them without having a lot of free time cuz you'll get addicted.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I said no mmo... but it's okay, well I got wow open beta client so I don't pay monthly yay... but ragnorak is just... well... seemingly pointless to me, and very repetitive...
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think you may need old games, by old I mean...ones from 94 and earlier.
they may not be as "rpg" as Suikoden or FinalFantasy. but they could suffice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about Sacred, or Beyond Divinity? both two are pretty good RPG for PC. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and City of Heroes are also pretty decent games. For MMO, every Everquest and Ultima titles would be a good choice. There's not much of new RPGs for PC by the way, but if you want yourself a wonderful non RPG game, buy Sid Meier's Pirates, Dawn of War, or The Chronicle of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay. I've played all of them since games are...uhm...cheap in Indonesia.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks Schala for replying to an old topic of mine... I appreciate it. time to quote...

Quote:
How about Sacred, or Beyond Divinity?

Both are nothing but all right... I got Beyond divinity, and I had sacred... but don't play them that much... I really don't have control over fights like I would prefer to... meh... under average games...

Quote:
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and City of Heroes are also pretty decent games

I just finished downloading myself a copy of vampires - bloodlines and it looks good what with all the clans and all that... City of heores I reviewed and tested and well... it got rather boring for me... it easily became repetitive and after you pass level 49 or so it begins to lag a little...

Quote:
There's not much of new RPGs for PC by the way, but if you want yourself a wonderful non RPG game, buy Sid Meier's Pirates,

Umm... the pirates game is part of the role playing genre...

Quote:
Dawn of War

warhammer 40k? yeah downloaded that as well... really like the chaos better than the rest...

Quote:
or The Chronicle of Riddick : Escape from Butcher Bay

Yeah... had that on the Xbox... didn't really like it that much so back it went... meh...

Quote:
I've played all of them since games are...uhm...cheap in Indonesia.

Yeah... I've played them all since games are... cough FREE cough for me... :twisted:

Someone did reccomend me a good 'free' mmorpg though which is what suikoden 2 would be like if it was a mmo... conqueronline.com has it... its a chinese 2d mmo game... I have played many games and reviewed more... but can't seem to find another rpg like suikoden :cry:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: