Suikoden Unique and Illusional Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your Thoughts on Video Game Emulators/Roms

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Your Thoughts on Video Game Emulators/Roms Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just thinking, I know this is completely illegal, but I was just wondering what everyone here at suikox's thoughts on the subject were. Like, I for one think they should be okay if

1. You own the game or system, but would just like to have the option of playing it on your computer

or

2. The game is not avaliable to you. (For example, a game that is only japanese, but someone made a fan translation, that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise.)

These are my thoughts, what are yours on the matter?
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think is kinda complicated coz in 1 hand u have the posibility of playing old games like Rally X,Pac-Man etc,but in the other hand when u are playing with GBA emulator per example u are doing damage to the developers and companies.

Like i said before,its a complicated matter that should not be taken so lightly.

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree it's a fairly complicated issue. I really disagree with ROMs/Emulators for systems or games currently being mass produced. I've used an emulator for the Intellivision system (gotta love nostalgia) and the games I checked out really were the ones which I already own, for the simple fact that I currently cannot get my Intellivision to work.

I was hoping that the recent release of Intellivision Lives! (for all the current consoles) would put any need to use an emulator to rest, but the reviews listed disappointing control and a lack of the games I was really looking forward to being able to play again. (essentially, any of their licensed properties) One review even suggested an Intellivision controller peripheral should have been made, and that would have been really cool.

It's too bad the entire Intellivision game library couldn't have been included on the disc, with the aforementioned controller peripheral. It would have made for a great retro gaming package, and I would have loved to have picked it up.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I've broken the law...nevermind that. I primarily use them for older games not available in the US that some people out there have translated (like Seiken Densetsu 3). Eventually, I hope to be literate enough to play untranslated games, since not all of the ones I want to play are translated. It is complicated; I like being able to play them, but on the other hand it's illegal... :?

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Emulation in general isn't against the law. Keeping ROMs that you don't have the original cartridge of for more than 24 hours is, but people are trying to fight that for dead systems for which games are no longer made.

As for me, I love emulation for the dead systems. My NES died a long time ago, so it's great that I can still play those today, along with SNES games like Tales of Phantasia and Live A Live that were never translated.

Cannon Fodder

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, they let me play old games like Streets of Rage and Samurai Shodown, so I love ROMs. My Sega Genesis broke years ago and I love that I can still play some of my childhood favorites today.

Getting games off of newer systems like N64 and GBA is something I don't quite agree with though. Getting old games that stopped being made a decade ago is one thing, getting games that came out last year because you're too cheap to pay for them is another.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i've used the emulator alot.

But i don't hear too much about any hassle the ROM websites and the developers of the ROMs anyways. So it can't be that illegal.

But it truly helps us gamers relive the past, or play games that we weren't able to.

There is also the PS Emulator, like VGS. It helps, but it sometimes doesn't. Some Emulators are pretty crap, while those that do work are to be treasured.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I emply ROMS and Emulators all the time. I would play psx iso's but i really have all the rpg's on psx anyway and i like playing them on my ps2 (although wild arms 1 has issues with it) and my comp probabaly couldent handle it.

Roms are useful because Cartirdge games especially Snes had a tendency to erase your games if you switched the games a lot. So its better because theres no fear of accidental save data loss (especially if you back up the save file in case of hard drive failure)

Roms are also useful for Fan translated games for games that never came over to the us yet have been translated (most of the time with more skill than the the would be translator themselves) so you can play games like TALES of Phantasia, STAR OCEAN, Seiken DEnsetu 3, etc etc.

Emulators dont have regional lockouts. So you can play games from any terriotry. I know it was really annoying having Terranigma being released in the UK (and thusly in english) and it NOT being released in the US. (can you say wtf?)

Games you would like to play but dont want to spend a kings ransom on ebay (examples: Mega man x3, shining force CD, Shining force sword of haja, megaman on game gear etc etc)

And most importantly you can see if a game is worth buying a hard copy of it. No one wants to spend money on agame only to find out its crappy and is stuck with and cant return it because it sucks (that was cool when you return shit because you didnt like it) I wish i had a modded ps2 and downloaded suikoden 4 before i bought and wasted money on it and its equally useless strategy guide.

But i guess you appreciate the good games more by experening the bad (horrid might be a better word)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene wrote:

And most importantly you can see if a game is worth buying a hard copy of it. No one wants to spend money on agame only to find out its crappy and is stuck with and cant return it because it sucks (that was cool when you return Michael Bolton because you didnt like it) I wish i had a modded ps2 and downloaded suikoden 4 before i bought and wasted money on it and its equally useless strategy guide.

Renting a game solves this particular problem. For a small amount of money you can try out the game for a day or two, which should be enough time to decide whether you like the game or not. If ROMs were to be used in such a capacity, I would hope they would be official products available only on the game company's site, along with a downloading charge. Whether or not someone likes a game, trying to get the product (whether it's the ROM or physical game) for free would hurt the developers and lessen the likelihood of a sequel being made.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps. But your assuming the said person was willing to buy it anyway. Which usually isnt isnt the case.

I wish renting was a more viable option but its a rareity to see RPG's in blockbuster or wherever (aside from FF)

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IIRC, Emulators and ROMs are not illegal; however, having the ROM for more than 24 hours on your computer if you do not own the game is. This should clear up a lot of the debate.. :)
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Having emulators are not exactly illegal... say you have a playstation 1, you are allowed to have a playstation emulator, you need one to get the bios from anyway, by connecting your computer to your playstation you can achieve this or just download someone else's...

As for the ROMs, yeah I think it is illegal to have it more than 24 hours, but there's no point in getting a emulator if you already got a playstation to play your CDs... so for the emulators, just play downloaded content. also using epsxe you can watch little movies on it... such as Blade trinity. even though the file was a '.gba' file my mate was able to watch a movie on his emulator... wierd.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I have found epsxe useful for playing my playstation games because I have a hard time deleting my old saves, so I run out of space on my memory cards. And it isn't exactly easy to find PS1 memory cards. In essence epsxe turns my pc into a memory card. I also feel that playing old games that are completely impossible to find first hand in stores not morally wrong although it is legally wrong to my knowledge.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ranadiel wrote:
Well I have found epsxe useful for playing my playstation games because I have a hard time deleting my old saves, so I run out of space on my memory cards. And it isn't exactly easy to find PS1 memory cards. In essence epsxe turns my pc into a memory card. I also feel that playing old games that are completely impossible to find first hand in stores not morally wrong although it is legally wrong to my knowledge.

This is interesting as it is SO true... I have had two people now come to me asking for a copy of suikoden two... I didn't want to lead them to astray if emulators is what it is (illegal) so I gave them a few advice first... like suggesting Ebay and other ordering sites... then I ask them would they break the law for the game... if so then, I will let them know more about the emulators and downloading games and all that... This shows that old games are near impossible to get a hold of and downloading it seems to be almost the only way to get it mostly without fail... and the fact about the memory card is spot on!!! especially when you have over five hundred games and over five hundred gigabytes on your computer hehehe...

JNX out
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Synchysi wrote:

As for me, I love emulation for the dead systems. My NES died a long time ago, so it's great that I can still play those today, along with SNES games like Tales of Phantasia and Live A Live that were never translated.

YES Live a Live rocked so much

----------
anway everyone is saying its not illegal if you own the real deal, but I've seen people say thats not true, it dosen't matter if your ROM/EMU is a back up, and you own lets say Jaws and NES..its still ilegal. don't ask where I saw that, but the person was very militent.

I know I really should buy the systems I'd emulate (one but I can't see that tiny screen, besides I can apparently easily be adicted to vidio games, so its like drugs...and buying a GBA would be like buying some opium or somthing)

anway I have been emulating lots of SNES games, I never had one of my own (i jumped from NES-Genisis-PS) also I like "the Japanse RPGs", Like LaL, Rudras Tressure, Bahamut Lagoon. when I see older games be relased on new systems (LOZ for 20 dollars on GBA) I think the'ere coutering us, the media pirates, why else? I like emuatiion because I can make screen shots, sprites and if I wish, sprite comics. I could record music and use save states.

this is why I think we can get a re-relase of Suikoden 1 and 2, because they can be emulated. (see zelda)

but yeah, i'm lazy and evil with my GBA...but I trashed FFTA fast.

on a differnt topic, what of "abandonware"? its like the same thing, but a bit differnt. I wish I could get the full version of biomenece. My first computer had the shareware version, and thats all you can get. there were 3 chapters.
abandonware is like the "ROM thing" but for computer games that have been not sold for 10 years. I think.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: