Suikoden Urgent and Informational Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tenkai's Bodyguard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bah, I'm happy with the romantic sub-tones that we get from bodyguards like Cecile and Lyon. I don't mean it needs to be overt, heck you can easily argue that there was no romantic interest from either of those to the Tenkai just as easily as I can argue that there was, and that's the way I like it. I don't always want everything cut and dried and I want to be able to draw my own conclusions on certain aspects.

I also would not want a non-anthropomorphic animal as a bodyguard either. I can live without the romantic angle if forced to, but to have to deal with a bodyguard who won't vocalize the Tenkai is unacceptable. Then they'd have to make the Tenkai a non-silent character, and I don't want that either. Yes, yes, Suikoden III hardly ever counts when I make my generalizations, don't bring it up :P

Quote:
What if we invert the situation? We have a tenkai who is a noble's bodyguard.

That's practically what we had with Suikoden IV. You could say that Lazlo and Snowe were friends, but their relationship at first seemed that Snowe viewed Lazlo as a subordinate. So, he was practically Snowe's bodyguard.

~Uguu!~
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aurelien wrote:
Instead of someone who would like to force their way into the party, it'd be better if it's someone who offered their help in a "I'd come along if you need me, but if you don't want me, that's fine too. Just be careful, yo" manner.

Or in other words, Sgt. Jo. Hugo wasn't a Tenkai... but close enough. Sgt. Joe was pretty much like that, but Hugo could talk anyways, so.

But a hero's mouthpiece has to be with the hero pretty much all the time. But Suikoden V's four-person-envoy makes that excusable.

Heh, Hero VI should have the "Mouth of Sauron" as his bodyguard.

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want a bobyguard who still guards the Tenkai fanatically, but hates him. Like he have a duty to someone else or just an ambition that needs the Tenkai for the time. Turns out that, in the end, if you make the right choices and recruit the other stars, he recognizes that you were a decent leader and gets a good feeling toward you. If not, well, there you go a gray villain to make the duel til dead with the Tenkai! Of course, that means that you might lose the bobyguard as his voice, but I still think it would be fun.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I somewhat like Tokuro's idea. I wouldn't go so far to have him hate the hero, but disliking is okay. He should be bound by a pledge he made long ago, because I really want an old, cynical bodyguard. His comments that would gave the hero a voice could be pretty funny and an old goat could have some life experience.
It could be awesome if the bodyguard tells the hero what he would do, but the hero decides different. In the end both outcomes could be interesting: The hero was right or wrong!

The Fool
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd definitely agree with Aurelien. The bodyguard character we should see next should be a bit more laid back and confident about the hero. Where he/she has the skills to defend the new hero/heroine yet gives them a chance to prove themselves.

If ever it comes to having a female Tenkai, i guess we'll see this at that time. Hopefully, there won't be too much "overprotectiveness" in the next bodyguard, especially if it's borderline silly...

hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't mind to see a dog or an animal as the tenkai's bodygaurd, maybe the next one will be a kobold or nekobold? or any other half human half animal creature in suikoden.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I started a new Suikoden V game earlier, being all enthusiastic about it and such. Lyon actually managed to kill the game for me about 20 minutes into it. I never realised how annoying she was, how do any of us play it?!
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I started a new Suikoden V game earlier, being all enthusiastic about it and such. Lyon actually managed to kill the game for me about 20 minutes into it. I never realised how annoying she was, how do any of us play it?!

I too think it is kind of annoying also, but not that much, I think lyon is the reason why there is the 4 extra character slots becuase she never leaves the party except for the one time(so if you don't like her you just put her in one of the slots)

Quote:
how do any of us play it?!

We all love suikoden! so we are able to handle it, and not everyone thinks lyon is annoying.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I was being serious, I wasn't being that serious hotspot, don't take what I said as some kind of death threat to Lyon (good idea though). :P However, practically every time she opens her mouth I find myself cringing in annoyance and agony, be it when she is in one of her "I CONSIDER IT MY HIGHEST HONOR TO PROTEXT THE PRINCE!" speeches to another one of her "BUT YOU CAN'T DO THAT, GOD WOULDN'T WANT YOU TO." holier than you lectures.

Really, it gets old - even to the point of degrading the experience of Suikoden. The other 107 (seriously, any one of them) more entertaining characters should get more air time then that. That's for me anyway.
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it was because of the dubbing and the translation of the script. Lyon is more likable if you play the Japanese version, at least to me, though.
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Bah, I'm happy with the romantic sub-tones that we get from bodyguards like Cecile and Lyon. I don't mean it needs to be overt, heck you can easily argue that there was no romantic interest from either of those to the Tenkai just as easily as I can argue that there was, and that's the way I like it. I don't always want everything cut and dried and I want to be able to draw my own conclusions on certain aspects.

Well, if it's just a little, it's fine with me. It had better NOT become something like this: I love you, I can't live without you! I'll protect you every day, every night, every second of your life...Wait. Didn't I see this before?

Quote:

I also would not want a non-anthropomorphic animal as a bodyguard either. I can live without the romantic angle if forced to, but to have to deal with a bodyguard who won't vocalize the Tenkai is unacceptable. Then they'd have to make the Tenkai a non-silent character, and I don't want that either. Yes, yes, Suikoden III hardly ever counts when I make my generalizations, don't bring it up

Agreed. As much as people might say 'Won't that make the game unique?', I'd like to see for myself what the bodyguard is saying and not rely on non-verbal cues or seeing the Tenkai talk. It'd be too much of an annoyance and it just doesn't feel right.

Quote:

I want a bodyguard who still guards the Tenkai fanatically, but hates him. Like he have a duty to someone else or just an ambition that needs the Tenkai for the time. Turns out that, in the end, if you make the right choices and recruit the other stars, he recognizes that you were a decent leader and gets a good feeling toward you. If not, well, there you go a gray villain to make the duel til dead with the Tenkai! Of course, that means that you might lose the bobyguard as his voice, but I still think it would be fun.

Played Tales of the Abyss? A similiar situation happened, but the guy mentioned changed in the end due to situational problems and also storyline devices. Perhaps, this bodyguard could have interests that were not exactly congruent with the Tenkai, but he/she eventually changes after watching the Tenkai develop. You could make this bodyguard have a secret affiliation with the enemies and he/she has to decide whether to betray you or not in a critical situation.

Quote:

Funny, I thought her annoying from the very start. It was probably the fact that:
a) She almost never leaves you party.
b) She sounds very much like a mother hen.
c) Her voice is annoying.

Yeah, yeah, you could say that Gremio was like that in a way, but Lyon took it to extremes. I still like her though.

I want to see some change. Tokuro's idea would be best for a dramatic impression for us long time Suikoden fans.

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I sort of like...a variation of Tokuro's idea mentioned earlier

Except I picture a 'bodyguard' that under certain circumstances is forced to protect the main character otherwise if main character dies he dies. Or maybe because of some other sort of curse or spell...oh it could even be associated with a possible True Rune that the Tenkai gets? :wink:
Well....The way I picture it I probably would have to be tied/associated with a specific plot as well but ya have to admit it'd be rather interesting....HMM....just imagine...

bodyguard: "DARN YOU *tenkai's name here*! If not for the fact I can't kill you because *insert interesting/weird reason here* I would've killed you myself a long time ago to save myself from this misery!"

or something XD hahahahaha!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good to see I'm not alone Luceit. :mrgreen:

An explanation as to why Gremio may be less annoying:

1. Theres no voice acting, so you don't have to actually listen to Gremio's speeches, just read them.
2. Even Gremio didn't take every chance to express his fondness of guarding the Tenkai like Lyon does.
3. He was a man and although a bit feminine, there was no love interest.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dare say anyone who is annoyed by Lyon would also be annoyed by Gremio, but probably less so (because Gremio does not have any scenes one must view with him, and his text box is always skippable in a click or two; Lyon, on the other hand, is in almost every cut scene in Suikoden V). They are very similar save their motivation can be argued somewhat differently; Gremio's always a caretaker but Lyon's could be interpreted to be romantic.

I would prefer the guardian not be a miserable bucket'o'angst, but then that's just because I don't personally care for those characters too much, and think they tend to overpropogate in other RPGs. Not to mention most people would not place someone who hated your hero as their guardian, so you'd have to come up with some sort of situation that forced them to stick together, and that runs a high risk of being unbelievable.

I don't think you could have the guardian character be silent if you kept the silent hero, for the simple reason that there'd be even less people around to say anything! Your guardian character generally reacts for you, so to remove that would make the game feel quite a bit emptier...as does Suikoden IV, which really does not have a guardian character at all, and makes Lazlo look even more isolated, in part, due to that.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Locke Scythe

Scythe

2679 Potch
30 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loathe tenkai bodyguards.

Well actually just Lyon cause Nanami lite was reallllllllly lame.

Hopefully they'll ditch the hero's bitch category and instead go with hero's mentor.

Like a strong father type figure or something that travels with them.
I don?t care, I?m still free.
You can?t take the sky from me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: