Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

[Changes] System Changes Starting From Phase 4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: [Changes] System Changes Starting From Phase 4 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These are actually only just two of the changes I'll be implementing. The rest is still in the works and I'll announce it once I am done.

1) Henceforth, each nation is allowed to launch attacks from up to three regions. As you know, each nation was only allowed from one region/phase, but now you can attack a lot more rapidly. This was decided after Synchysi and I thought we can manage the work, and also because the game will take forever if we don't speed it up.

2) Regions that have supply lines cut off from their capital will be weaker in battle of they are attacked by enemies. On the map, you can see that each region is connected with black lines. If you can't make these lines connect to your nation's capital through your own regions, you will get a penalty when defending or attacking from that region. Your nation leaders know where you capital is located.

I'm sure these changes are enough to send all the strategist types scurrying to their drafting tables, but we know it's all for a good cause, don't we?
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can a single nation attack another specific nation twice? Ie, if two nations share more than one border, can one try to take two neighboring territories in the same phase? Or must the three attacks be to three different nations?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Synchysi says that you can attack multiple regions of a single enemy nation, too.
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SWEET!!! This is definitely a HUGE improvement as now there'll actually be some changes because its been almost a year since the site started running and at this point and time Harmonia gained 2 territories, Nameless Lands gained 1 and Grasslands lost 3. At least we'll see some quicker changes in the times to come not to mention the increase in victory counts. This will also make the duel option more favourable for most sides especially if all the nations start having wars on 3 fronts.

I also like the supply line idea although I think that the Capitals should be marked on the map. Another question arising from this though is what happens if the Capital of a nation should happen to fall? Does the nation lose instantly or do they get to relocate the capital to a city of their choice?
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If your capital is taken, you can simply choose a new region to become the capital.
Synchysi

Creatures Once Godlike

11782640 Potch
18161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phase 4 might be somewhat delayed as I have finals coming up soon.

As far as the phases themselves go, they should be posted much quicker than before. I plan on hiring people to write up the battle reports for me as that's the most time-consuming and boring part of the job. Anyone interested should PM me or contact me on AIM/MSN.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't worry about the wait for Phase 4 - people will more than likely need time to rethink strategies now that they can attack multiple nations!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This does add a lot of interesting possibilites to all the options in battle...it really helps the largest nations the most though. Still, nicely done...I can't wait to see what else is in store.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, another change--

Fortification--

Previously, when you decided to fortify yourself in a region that has fortifications, you had the risk of losing two regions instead of one if you lost. This has been agreed by the grand council of admins (Synchysi and myself...) as being too harsh (well, because no one was using it...), so the penalty if lost has been reduced merly to an obligatory ambush by the enemy in the next phase (if they continue to attack).

For example, if Aronia attacks the Dunan Monarchy's fortress at Dingaling Forest and defeats them, they can throw an ambush on the Dunan Monarchy forces in the next phase. An ambush means that you will know the enemy attacker's identity during one of the rounds, giving you a significant advantage in the confrontation.

If an attacking nation doesn't pursue in the next phase, this advantage will dissipate--as the retreating enemy forces would have regrouped.

I hope this change will give some breadth to all of your strategic options.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So does this mean that if you win a territory from a nation despite the defending nation using a fortress, the conquering nations wins an ambush during a battle for a different territory from the same nation the following phase?

I'm also unsure how the "knowing the identity" part of ambushes will work, as the line-up isn't finalized until the battle plans for each turn are submitted. Or are we talking about all nine units involved in the battle are revealed?

I'm not sure if it was the penalty which kept people from using the fortresses, as I think everyone was waiting for someone else to use a fortress so they could see what type of bonuses they could expect. Personally, I felt the potential loss of a second territory really added to the gamble of using a fortress, making it a desperation move when all else fails.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

An ambush is much like how ninjas functioned in Suikoden 1. You will know what the enemy will use in advance (for just one round) so you will have an advantage.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm... This is interesting... Ever since you added all these changes, the war system gets more and more complicated... I can't wait to see how the next phase is going to be. It'll sure be a headache for all strategists... I can't believe how complex it's gotten....

And if ever my suggestion (i posted it somewhere in the Grasslands...) became true then there'll be more work for Synchysi and yourelf, SARSadmin... :D

Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Intriguing. Well, some of us -wanted- to be able to fortify at one point, it just didn't quite work out that way ;)

Hm. This will be an interesting change indeed. I think I do agree with Elc though, a retreat in the old system was a nice desparation move... this now... almost seems worse, in some ways, because it makes it easier to take two territories, just over two phases instead of all at once.

I'm not sure how this works exactly either, since we're using imaginary territories. Say that Grasslands is attacked at the Amur Plains and retreats to Duck Village. How will that scenario work out now, exactly? The battle will "be at Duck Village" but the only threatened territory will remain just the Amur Plain? I presume if they press on to attack Duck Village the next phase, that will be where they get their advantage. Also, if they attack North Amur next instead of Duck Village, will they retain their advantage or will it be lost, because they didn't attack the territory to where the Amur Plainsmen retreated?
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fortification doesn't really work that way Harukaze, as the region which is being contested over must have a fortress, which Amur does not. So, any battles at Amur will have to be regular non-fortified battles, whereas Duck Lake has the Duck Village fort which would allow for the defending army to retreat into Duck Village for whatever bonuses they will receive.

SARSadmin, I'm still unsure how that all works out. Unless the losing nation must reveal their first round (and stick with it) attacker before the battle plans are drawn up for the phase. That could almost be a guaranteed victory for that round, since the ambushing nation could just select one of their units with a class or soldier advantage. But that in itself would be something to take into consideration when using a fortress. I imagine there could be penalties if the ambushed nation were to suddenly change the member in the first round position (whether intentionally or not) after revealing the identity?

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the ambushed nation must reveal its roster of units, but not their order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: