Suikoden Unique and Irrational Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Tolkien and the Sindar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Tolkien and the Sindar Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did an extensive search and I couldn't find anything similar to it. If this particular topic has been discussed before, please accept my apologies.

To start with, I have been browsing through my old Tolkien books which I haven't read for quite a long time. I've browsed through the books, until I stumbled upon the word Sindar. This piqued my interest about the connection between Tolkien's Sindar and Suikoden's Sindar. Is it just by mere coincidence that these two share the same name?

Well, given the fact that we barely know anything about Suikoden's Sindar, we can't say for sure. But, I might as well say that they both share something similar: they travel. I did some research about Tolkien's Sindar, and learned that they have the desire to travel through the sea. The same goes for the Sindar: The rune of change forces them to travel through the world.

But does the similarity end there?
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had a feeling I had heard that word somewhere before...

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's no coincidence that Tolkien's Sindar and the Sindar in the series have similarities. Pretty much most of the fantasy rpgs of the past 30 years or so have borrowed or been influenced by Tolkien's work. I'm sure with the rise in popularity of Tokien's books due to the film trilogy Suikoden writers may borrow more details from Tolkien's Sindar to use for the series' own version.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice eye, Ryusei! I never noticed the connection before.

I agree that many RPGs have borrowed ideas from Tolkien. Perhaps there will be more similarities between the two Sindar mentioned.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've actually discussed this before with a good friend of mine. He said that they're not really that similar. I trust his judgement. The kid speaks Quenya (the elfin language in LOTR). He knows his stuff.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, the similarities are not numerous. And I don't think Quenya's been used in anything outside of the Tolkein works, but Sindar as a name is not a very common one. I think the Konami people decided to use the name Sindar as a homage to Tolkien's own Sindar and only that. Now, if future games suddenly started showing more similarities then they may be mining the Tolkien version as a way to make the Suikoden Sindar as interesting.

Fallen Angel

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have it in my LOTR book, Sindars are actually Elves, actually grey elves. They are not very friendly to neither humans or other "species" of Elves, and they traveled from the Middleearth a long time ago, I believe. I'll cgecj the book again to see what I can find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: