Suikoden United and Illegal Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Spirits of Grassland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: The Spirits of Grassland Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are they, actually? I've been wondering about them for quite some time. Are they just some superstition from Grassland, or do other countries believe on the spirits as well? Are they the elements themselves? And what connections do they have with runes?

They seem to affect many things in the Grassland, but other than that place, they seem to be non-existent. So, what are they?
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're not even a universal Grassland belief. They're Kayaran-centric. The Duck Clan, for example, have absolutely no belief in what they term 'Karayan superstitions'. I tend to agree with them.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

However, we saw their power in Karaya when the spirits spoke to Aila. One might pass this off as a natural affinity to magic, but as we can see by Aila's stats, she's no super mage. Suikoden three presented us with something we were unfamiliar with in the Suiko world, non-runic magic. Sarah could summon monsters without the use of a gate rune, Aila could track teleporting people across Karayan territory with only voices on the wind to guide her, a young girl was sacrificed to create a sealing spell. All of these are alien concepts to the Suiko universe and seem to hint at something bigger going on in the area. I wouldn't be so quick to toss out the possibility of Earth Spirits John. However, we haven't seen anything like this anywhere else but in the Grasslands.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe Sana also mentioned that she thanked the spirits when the treaty between the Grasslands and Zexen occurred, and Salome said "Well, we thank our Goddess."

I think the Lizard Clan agrees with the Duck Clan (and John Layfield) that there are no spirits, but I feel I have to disagree. Perhaps some of it has to do with Runes, and some of it doesn't. Didn't the ritual with Yun have to do with sealing the True Water Rune? I think LeBuque didn't believe in spirits either, and they were once a Grassland tribe. Who knows what the Safir clan thought.

As far as Sarah's magic, I doubt it had anything to do with Runes. And Aila's magic, I seriously doubt it had anything to do with Runes. Her hand glowed on the ground! The only Runic thing about it, is that perhaps the Runes in the earth were speaking to her, rather than spirits.

But I agree with Scarlet Assassin. Suikoden III was the only place thus far to see such magic that didn't have anything to do with Runes. The next time we may or may not eb able to see this imay be in the Nameless Lands or New Armes. We'll know when we get there.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...This is something that you can't really answer outright. I guessing that there is other magic out there besides runes because of different things. But then again, they could be linked to the runes realationship with the planet...That may be what causes other situations like Alia's...And that would explain somewhat Leknaat abilities...

There was soething in the first suikoden but I can't remember...gah, hopefully I'll think of it.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What bothers me most about them is that they seem not to be existing outside of Grassland. At least in the regions which are already revealed to us, they aren't.

My guess is that they are some sort of "god" in the Grassland that protects or oversees the place. Remember how the spirits communicated to the Alma Kinan girls about the destroyers? But then again the destroyers were planning to destroy a specific true rune: the True Wind Rune, which might affect the entire Suikoden world. Is this an indication that the spirits are somehow connected to the true runes? I guess so.
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Is this an indication that the spirits are somehow connected to the true runes? I guess so.

Whatever the spirits may actually be, I'm damn sure that it's have to got some connection with runes. Like what Zerase may be, perhaps? It just can't possibly not have nothing. It's Sarah's case that's strange. This might have a connection to Yuber maybe.

Or, The Grassland's some sorta' Sacred Land that's got something (Or someone.) inside it.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems The Destroyers disturb the spirits (especially Sarah's magic), and help the protaganists stop The Destroyers from blowing up half the world.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wes wrote:
It seems The Destroyers disturb the spirits (especially Sarah's magic), and help the protaganists stop The Destroyers from blowing up half the world.

That seems likely. You have a good point there, Wes.

However, if they were indeed disturbed by Sarah's magic in particular, wouldn't they be disturbed too, if other great wizards, say, Crowley and Mazus use their power? The duel between these two led to the destrcution of an entire region, and part of the Suikoden world. Yet, granted that the spirits seem to be only present in the Grassland, it would be likely that they weren't disturbed at all.

Or perhaps they were only disturbed in the Destroyers' aim of destroying a true rune? Well, if it is the case, then that makes them some sort of protectors of true runes. But I may be wrong.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sarah used a different type of magic, which had nothing to do with runes, unlike Crowley and Mazus, that may be it.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, we must also consider that that certain type of magic was only seen in Suikoden III. All the teleportation, illusion summoning, barrier making and the like was only seen in Suikoden III, no other. Who knows, maybe other people might have learned how to use this certain type of magic aside from Sarah, but that's entirely another thing.

But that may very well be the reason for the disturbance of the spirits, if they really were disturbed in the first place.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

However I think that spirits we mostly just a excuse to foward certain events and they really lack an acutal meaning at the moment other than the possiblity that they may have a meaning if they decide to go down that path, otherwise it'll just remain an oddity.

Sarah's magic was sinder in origin I belive and the sinder can pretty much do anything. (Besides stay in one place ^^)

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Username wrote:
Sarah's magic was sinder in origin I belive and the sinder can pretty much do anything. (Besides stay in one place ^^)

I don't recall that ever being stated, where did you read/hear that?
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wes wrote:
Username wrote:

I don't recall that ever being stated, where did you read/hear that?

I think it was mentioned when she tried to open the door in the Ancient Highway, but I'm not really sure. It might have meant that the barrier surrounding the door is Sindarin, not her magic.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The defense mechanism for the ruins is Sindar, but also has the True Rune of Water's seal on it, I don't think Sarah has anything to do with that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: