Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

UN approves of Iran sanctions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: UN approves of Iran sanctions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
December 24, 2006
U.N. Security Council Passes Iran Sanctions

By ELISSA GOOTMAN
UNITED NATIONS, Dec. 23 — The Security Council on Saturday unanimously passed a resolution intended to curb Iran's nuclear program, capping four months of negotiations over how severe and sweeping the sanctions should be.

The resolution, drafted by Germany and the Security Council's five permanent members, the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China, bans the import and export of materials and technology used in uranium enrichment, reprocessing and ballistic missiles.

Alejandro D. Wolff, the acting American ambassador, hailed the resolution as an "unambiguous message that there are serious repercussions" for Iran's pursuit of its nuclear ambitions. He added, however, that the resolution was "only a first step," saying, "If necessary, we will not hesitate to return to this body for further action if Iran fails to take steps to comply."

The resolution has been in the works since Iran flouted the Security Council's call for a "full and sustained suspension" of nuclear activities by Aug. 31. It is weaker than proposals in earlier drafts, which started circulating in October, after repeated changes intended to placate Russia, which has strong economic ties with Iran. Throughout the process, Russia's objections were often seconded by China.

Uranium enrichment is the first step in making fuel that can be used for nuclear power plants, or for nuclear weapons. Tehran has maintained that it has the right to pursue its nuclear program, which it says is aimed at generating electricity.

The measure would freeze the assets of 12 Iranians and 11 companies that are said to be involved in nuclear and ballistic missile programs. It also would give a new committee the authority to amend the list in the future.

The final version of the text, however, qualifies the asset freeze in some respects, for example by giving countries more latitude to unfreeze certain assets than previous drafts would have allowed.

In an effort to maintain their sometimes fragile coalition, the Americans and Europeans also agreed to eliminate a mandatory travel ban on those people said to be involved in nuclear activities. While older drafts had mandated that all states "prevent entry" of such people, the final version of the resolution simply "calls upon" states to "exercise vigilance" over who crosses their borders.

In another nod to Russia's concerns, the resolution was amended to exclude any sanctions against a nuclear power plant that Russia is building at Bushehr, in southern Iran.

The Security Council was initially expected to approve the resolution on Friday, but as recently as Friday morning, Russia's ambassador to the United Nations, Vitaly I. Churkin, voiced concerns that the text continued to threaten legitimate business deals.

Mr. Churkin maintained that the resolution was intended to prod Iran to negotiate, not punish it. Several small 11th-hour revisions, however, allayed Moscow's concerns.

For years, some officials within the American government have pressed for the Security Council to adopt sanctions to halt Tehran's nuclear pursuits.

In June, the five permanent Security Council members plus Germany offered Iran a package of economic and political incentives to halt its nuclear program. The offer was rejected, setting the stage for the Aug. 31 deadline and, ultimately, the sanctions resolution.

What does this do to them exactly?

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The same thing all UN sanctions do to countries like this, absolutely nothing. When it comes to trying to threaten people, the UN is completely useless. All they can do is hope the US has to be the bully. The UN may do some good, but threatening sanctions is silly since they won't actually do anything to back them up.

~Uguu!~
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is the full, official text of the resolution. I haven't had time to read it, but anybody who wants to know what it actually says will probably be able to find it there.

One thing I found while reading various news sources was that Russia's deal with Iran to supply nuclear material for a reactor in Iran won't be affected by this resolution--which defeats the whole purpose if you ask me.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Didn't Iran threaten us if we were to impose sanctions on them? So are they going to follow through or not? It should be interesting to see that psychopath's reaction to the sanctions.

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What psychopath? Just becuase this dude wants to defy the world community, doesn't automatically label him a psycho...He is just unrealistic about what he can achieve...

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is the same guy that doesnt believe in the Holocaust and has called for Israel's destruction. Yeah, he's a bit nuts.

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
This is the same guy that doesnt believe in the Holocaust and has called for Israel's destruction. Yeah, he's a bit nuts.

he probably just doesn't like Jewish people, it's not that uncommon around there, and in other places, but yeah, just cos he's probably racist, doesn't mean he's a psychopath. I don't think he'd have a hatred of Israel were it not for generations of being taught to think badly of Israel, so on.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The United Nations will fail because of events like this like the League of Nations before it.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems like a hollow victory. Iran is already thinking about leaving the IAEA. Well we have to wait and see.
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Iran's president is nuts in my opinion, but I still wonder where does the right of the UN to say you can deal with nuclear power and you cant, since nuclear energy is not only used to make nuclear bombs. Consider how insane Kim Jon Il is treated, much more carefully by UN and USA... and in the insane rank of leaders of the world, he is probably the first one.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

According to a new report, Iran's oil industry is declining dangerously fast, perhaps they do need this nuclear program, the civilian aspect I mean.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/25/iran.oil.ap/index.html?eref=r ss_topstories
PesmergaS

Fallen Angel

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm.. what do you think of Iran's threat that they will shut down all export of oil??? They threaten to use oil as a political weapon. If I remember well, 15% of all oil in the world is produced in Iran (I can't remember if this is true :D), so they hope to force the UN to remove the sanctions. I see that some of you say that these sanctions are useless. UN's sanctions have been very effective sofar in history. I know, because I have done a lot of research on that lately. Those sanctions that aren't effective are those implemented by one country, and sofar it was mostly the USA. The world is in fear that there will be a shortage of oil in the world. Most of the countries will use their oil reserves, and will compensate a part of it by importing oil from other countries, I believe it will mostly be Russia. It's a short term solution, and if Iran does not remove this decision soon, there WILL be a shortage of oil. But, let's take a look at the other side. If oil is the main export of Iran, then that means that most of their income comes from exporting oil. If they don't start exporting soon, they will have a crisis of immense impact on their economy. So basically, here the winner will be the one with the stronger economics, and I think we all know who that is. Iran's economy is way too dependant on oil for them to win this economic oil. So, please, don't jump to conclusions about things you don't know a lot about. Stop and think, maybe you will realise some things...

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And the newb comes out swinging? I have to agree...Iran's most serious threat is hort term at best. If they launch, they WILL start MAD and they don't want that. Nuclear weapons are safe in the silos, but when they get into the hands of terrorists and radicals with no homeland, they get really dangerous. Iran wont launch, same with N Korea. However, we would feel it if they stopped feeding us their black colored drug that we call oil.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zonder wrote:

One thing I found while reading various news sources was that Russia's deal with Iran to supply nuclear material for a reactor in Iran won't be affected by this resolution--which defeats the whole purpose if you ask me.

That is because Russia is helping with the construction so it would be a 'Russian Nuclear reactor in Iran' as opposed to a Russian made Iranian nuclear reactor. No one has disputed the fact that Iran needs nuclear power, as enriched uranium was to be purchased off of Europe to begin with, however Iran wanted to be self sufficient and have its own enriching facility so that it wasn't reliant on people who would sooner cancel the deal and their reactor with it if things went wrong.

Russia and China to me, are the only 2 in the UN actually thinking about helping the middle east obtain a level of industry and economy where they could actually become leading nations as opposed to just 'the middle east', while the rest seem to be 'lets give them charity at this price because they don't deserve to be able to do it on their own'. The pretense for these sanctions has always been the threat that Iran will use a self enrichment process to create nuclear warheads which would violate the non proliferation of nuclear weapons treaty, though that treaty can be read here for those interested in it.

The UN here thought is effectively a figurehead to act on the recommendations of the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) who were the ones to actually make the decision about Iran's enrichment processes and if they breached the afore mentioned treaty.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That would make sense, Fly, if the president of Iran hadn't said on numerous occasions that he wanted to wipe Israel off the face of the planet. Even if he hadn't, it would still lbe risky to have a source of nuclear power, and thus weapons, in a terrorist hotspot, both for themselves and for their neighbors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: