Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Amulets (IV/II spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NichtWahr

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Amulets (IV/II spoilers) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is such a longshot that I think I strained something reaching for it, but -- could the wooden amulet you get near the end of IV be the same amulet that plays a minor yet important role in II?
To refresh the memories of those who don't remember the plot of II -- soon after Hero and Jowy are reunited, they're asked by Pilika to buy the amulet; they do so. Later on, during the events in Muse, Jowy leaves your party permanently -- and takes the amulet with him. It doesn't show up again until the showdown with Luca -- it had fireflies hidden inside it, helping archers pinpoint his location.
Anyway, am I the only one who thinks this just might be the same amulet?
Marth

Pancake Masters

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

theres a wooden ammy in suikoden 4? when do you get that?
NichtWahr

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the evening before the attack on El-Eal, you can see special conversations if you wander through your ship. One such conversation takes place in the saloon, in which Rita, Rene and Noah give you a wooden amulet that they made themselves.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

more than likely there completely different. Especially since thier "wooden" one would think in 153 years wood would (haha) rot away. And i dont think konami was trying to connect anything really with previous games. Suikoden 4 was put 150 years in the past for they wouldent have to worry about referecing charectors or putting sod's in from previous games. The same thing goes for geogprahy. They did Mention the scarlet moon empire a few times and just "harmonia" once (not holy harmonia)

In fact the only thing i found that connects the games aside from the 4 charectors in it (jeane doesent count) IS that In suikoden 4 TEd has a wooden bow. In suiko 1 (which im replaying right now to get the bad taste of 4 out of my mouth) he has a steel bow. Now my theroy behind that is aldo who has a steel bow in 4 was killed by ted because he was trying to get it on with ted and ted isnt gay. In aldos ending window it said he ended up with a unfourtante accident. Not much proof but meh.

But more than likely Konami didnt bother to verify teds weapon from 1 and they just messed up.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I heard somewhere that Ted in 1 had gotten his bow from Aldo, and that was without referencing 4. Perhaps konami DID do their homework on their own game and DID intentionally make it that way. I think the story goes that Ted and Aldo are friends(they do have a combo for gosh sakes) and that at somepoint in the near future after they become good friends Souleater eats Aldo's soul. In rememberence of Aldo, Ted takes Aldo's bow as his own. Kind of sentimental stuff that Ted would do. So as reference to Eggiths comment, I post this one, but keep in mind that this is hear-say. I may not be completely correct but I'm a little bit too lazy to care so enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith, if you hate GSIV so much, why continue to post on this forum?

First off, Most people don't call Harmonia "Holy." Generally speaking, it's the people who are -from- Harmonia who call their own land Holy. Or countries who actually look up to Harmonia. Wanting military support from them because they have the power and you have something they want is another story altogether.

Second, give me one good reason a game set here -would- mention anywhere but Harmonia and Scarlet Moon? Look where the setting is. And before you comment that they set it here so they wouldn't have to, I remember years ago fans clamoring to see this part of the world.

As for the very tired "gay Aldo" issue, I'm not even going to bother addressing it further.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why shouldent I continue to post on the forum? IT didnt suddenly become a Suiko 4 Only board. I post on the board because its fun and despite 4...... shortcomings i still consider myself a suiko fanatic.

Obvisouly some dont refer to it as holy sense Cray didnt. Every instance before that however harmonia has been refered to as holy harmonia even eniemies. Yes its probably due to respect/fear. One would think Cray would fear them. Despite thier distance. HArmonia could stood be a potential enemy of the island nations (if you can call them that) so could SME. So one would think they would be dwelled upon more than a couple choice passingbys or ending windows.

A good reason to mention other countries would be to please fans for one thing. Ok thats a bit self serving but hey. An old book with the founding of the city states of jowstown (since the founding is right around this time) Mentcaning of falena since there basically neighbors. SOmething to connect the games so this doesent just feel like a completly isolated game.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eggith Cyrene wrote:
Why shouldent I continue to post on the forum? IT didnt suddenly become a Suiko 4 Only board.

Actually, this subforum is a Suikoden IV forum. I think that's what he was refering to, not you posting on the whole board.

Quote:
Mentcaning of falena since there basically neighbors. SOmething to connect the games so this doesent just feel like a completly isolated game.

I can see not mentioning Harmonia because Harmonia is SO FAR to the North. And I do think they mentioned the SME a couple times (when you go to get Eleanor, I swear I remember them mentioning her being a strategist for the SME).

But I do agree; it would have been nice to hear a little bit about the SME, considering how close it is. You would think it would either be a big rival or an ally; I wish we go to see more of old time SME.

But, onto bigger travesties, where on earth was Falena in this game? I think it at least should have gotten a few mentions beyond one character's ending (though I am thankful for that, because, wahey, we've got FIVE Falenians now!). I mean, we know Falena and the IN were friendly during S1, and since that character knows where Falena is and how to reach it, it stands to reason that they were then, too...I was really hoping we'd get a Falenien port or something. *sigh* A shame, such a shame...But at least Konami hasn't completely forgotten Falena, which is a good thing considering it's never been seen in the games yet (not counting 5 seconds in a Suikogaiden, anyway).

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita hit it dead on the nose, Eggith. I'm a very blunt man, I don't tend to mince words to make people happy, but I don't ever try to tell someone they should leave a forum. On the other hand, I do question why you bother with the Suikoden 4 board when all you really do here is bash the game. Just because you so strongly dislike this game does not mean you should detract from others' enjoyment of it, and my own enjoyment of this particular board is deminished by constantly needing to defend this game from you. Comments like "I'm replaying I to get the bad taste of IV out of my mouth" are wholy unnecessary.

To Sophita, I still maintain that your nation will be getting its spotlight next. While some people think the setting of the game was utterly pointless, I think they had a reason for the time and the place. A sequel to IV set in Falena would be a beautiful parallel between V and II, just as IV was meant to be in some ways a parallel to I. It's also possible Kooluk itself is the next stop, since we saw little to nothing of that nation, but Falena has been so drummed up that I think it needs its own game; Kooluk in the long run is a very minor entity. Setting the game in Falena would also allow for cameos or recurring Stars from IV to V, something I think has been planned from the moment IV began.

Anyway, we have drifted extremely far afield. Instead of turning this into a bash-GS4-for-not-mentioning-other-nations thread, we could go back to addressing the question at hand.

I suppose it -is- possible, though for the moment I'm going to say I do not think so. Unless it went to Jowston in the relatively near future, the salt in the air would have a detrimental effect on it, unless it's very strong wood. It is not impossible, however, that it could have survived. Not by a long shot.

Also, we have yet to see when and where GS5 takes place. If it is a sequel to GS4 - no matter where said sequel takes place - the GS4 Tenkai could cameo, a la McDohl in GS2. He received the amulet at the end of the game; perhaps he might still have it in the next.

This is all entirely baseless speculation on my part, but I'm not here to prove that it is or that it isn't; I'm here simply to prove that it might be. And there -is- the possibility that this is true. We'll just have to wait and find out.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree that the location and timeframe wasn't "pointless" as some have suggested, particularly since we don't know how Konami is going to proceed with the story. If you think about it, Suikoden III really had no connection to the first two games with the exception of some returning characters and offhand mentions if you talk to the right people, and since Suikoden IV is a prequel, I wouldn't expect half the cast of the original Suikoden to pop in just for the sake of being there.

Ted was a logical choice, since he was around for at least 300 years by the time Suikoden took place, and we don't know where or what some of the other long-lived characters from the first game were doing at the time. It would almost be too much to swallow if suddenly Windy, Yuber, Pesermga, Joshua, Sierra and Neclord showed up in the Island Nations. (though Windy is the only one which would have really made sense, since she was searching for the Soul Eater)

Suikoden V could very well explain some of the questions we've got, and that's part of what making a continuing series is all about. You don't just fill in all the blanks if you're planning on picking them up at a later date.

As for the wooden amulet, it's possible it could be the same one from Suikoden II, since wood wouldn't just rot on it's own over the 150+ years between the games, unless it was constantly exposed to the elements. If it were kept sealed away during that time, it could have survived the years and gone on to play the role it did in Suikoden II. Then again, it's entirely possible that it's a completely different amulet. We may never know for sure.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:
Ted was a logical choice, since he was around for at least 300 years by the time Suikoden took place, and we don't know where or what some of the other long-lived characters from the first game were doing at the time. It would almost be too much to swallow if suddenly Windy, Yuber, Pesermga, Joshua, Sierra and Neclord showed up in the Island Nations. (though Windy is the only one which would have really made sense, since she was searching for the Soul Eater)

Well it was stated that Yuber participated in almost all the wars in the past, this of course being the exception among others. Pesmerga would just be pointless. Joshua well, that would be absurd. And Neclord and Sierra, that just wouldn't make sense what they were doing in Island Nations although Neclord could have had one of his wives from the Island Nations.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the other hand, if GS5 is in Falena.... Ted appears to be moving south to north. Perhaps he -came- from Falena. We don't know where his village was, after all. We imagine Windy's village was in range of Harmonia though, but if she was chasing the Soul Eater she could have come south when she found out where the village was. Neclord and Yuber, likewise, could have been from the same region or could have followed her.

Falena could still be a perfectly logical home for Neclord to have called home before he made his way to the Harmonian continent.

I do think it odd for a lack of Yuber, though, I'll admit this much; I forgot that somewhere it was said that Yuber was present at most major conflicts. On the other hand, if he needs to be -summoned,- perhaps simply no one knew of him or knew how to summon him. They -could- have worked it in though, with Cray having done the summoning, or even to make things interesting Elenor, but this is one of my few disappointments in the game.

Regardless, I suppose we'll just have to see where things go in the next installment, yes?
Eternal Wind

Silver Wind

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be kind of implausable, but it does seem like too much of a coincidence. Probably is the same amulet or a duplicate.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Could be. It is a game after all. The rules of wood decay might not exist. We may never know. Also I think Yuber not being in SIV was a good thing. Can you imagine him being involed in such a small tussle as that "war" also can you imagine him on a boat? It might be to passive for him to be apart of ship warfare. The rune cannons might peake his interest, but I doubt it.

If Rhaps. dosen't show the fate of Gaien and Kooluk then I doubt Falena will be the setting for SV. I think Kooluk will be eaten by SME and Gaien will join the Island Nations, but who really knows?

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if i remember correctly, kooluk becomes southland, meaning it wasn't 'eaten,' absorbed or conquered *at least, not fully* by another nation, just merely had a change of name for some reason, much like siam became thailand, cambodia became campuchea, etc.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: