Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Favorite Weapon in Suikoden?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Favorite Weapon in Suikoden? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is a litany of great weapons including a list of at least one hundred swords, for instance the Seven Star Dragon Sword. The name changes through most of the weapons, hence when I ask you a question like this you cannot answer "One" unless you had a great memory and could remember exactly at what level the weapon evolved from or into that name. So please, in response use the name of the character who bore the weapon, the game it was in and what it looked like. For instance, the two-handed sword that Futch used in Suikdoen III. That's, to me, the easiest format to read this in. Of course if you think of something more rational, it's cool.

I'm interested to know other perspectives, because well, I've sort of lost mine. I used to love huge swords, but the more I've progressed as a gamer the more I seem to like spears and staffs. I'm inclined to humbly submit, the "Wolf Staff" I think it's called that Tir used in Suikoden. So I'm unoriginal, your point?

I thought that generally it was not only a great weapon for a character in general to use, but to have your main character use one adds a different zest to the game. A new flavor, a bit of pizzazz. Of course you're welcome to disagree...

What do you think?

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm....
I liked the kind of weapons that the Karayans used BECAUSE they were 1) cool curved swords and 2) in cool scarrabs. I will have to go back and review the list but I think my favorite weapon was used by Gulliame dispite my insane hatred of him. It's not given a name and you might be asking yourself "wait I never got to use Gulliame in a battle. How did you do that? Did you hack the game?"

No. I didn't hack. I didn't get to fight with him either. I actually hate him from the deepest bowels of my existence. But he had a trident. Tridents are awesome. And his was blue. He had a trident when you duel him in the Northern Cavern(and I think in the Anceint Highway but I dont remember exactley). So there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well lets try and give an EXPLENATION of why you like that sword. "I like it because its cool" isn't something that really adds to the discussions so try and give a little more detail.

I personally prefer the staff because I'm a little sick of the stereotypical main hero with the sword theme. A good staff makes it almost impossible to injure yourself, compared to a sword at least. It gives better reach than a sword and allows for a stronger swing and a heavier hit further out. If the staff is made out of full metal it could withstand a blow from just about any sword or axe but it would be relatively heavy, so a strong, light metal staff would be the ideal weapon. Something like mithril maybe.

Guns are good too but due to guns being limited to Howling Voice Guild members there aren't many heroes in the world that could carry it unless they were trained in the HVG or given a gun from one of its members which I doubt would happen. Guns in suikoden also seem to always have a soul.......well the ones we've seen so far. They sometimes lock up depending on the situation and this would suck if you had a gigantic bear paw coming at you.

Axes and Hammers are just too heavy and inaccurate giving the agile guys loads of times to dodge. Arrows are the cheapest weapon in the game but they're only good on a distance and they can only cause so much damage. Shoot a bear with an arrow and you'll piss him off. Slice his leg off with a sword and down he goes. You could give him a nice blow to the head with a staff or a hammer which would also work.

Swords are a GOOD weapon no doubt which is why they get used by most heroes and villains in most RPGs but they do require a certain degree of mastery because its easy to cut yourself or an ally.

A staff might sound weak but it is very strong. I'd go for either McDohl's or Jowy's staff as the best weapon in the game.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite weapon is Riou's tonfa. Not only is it a unique weapon for a hero to use, but it is also a rather powerful weapon which can change its uce depending on the purpose, and can otherwise be used in non-violent ways. You can make it extremely lethal by attaching blades to one end or the other, or use them like an axe or a sword. You can even throw tonfas pretty well because they tend to be balanced. It's generally non-threatening so you can carry one around without making people too freaked out, too. It can easily be disguized as a part of your furniture.

Riou's tonfa is reinforced with metal plates, which would make it a mighty powerful weapon. It must have done some wicked things to enemies struck by them--it wouldn't have been pretty.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a physical weapon as such, but I quite like Luc and Sasarai's "weapon" involving little blasts of magic, they're aesthetically pleasing, but not very strong.

I have to agree with Black Fang on this one, about the staff. To me, a staff is much more of a travelling weapon, and like all other weapons you can't just pick it up and swing, you need to train with it otherwise you'll end up clonking yourself on the head! I don't know what it is, but there's something so much more appealing about fighting with a staff (esepcially one like Jowy's) than a sword.

Swords are usually the hero's main choice of weaponary in RPG's, and it's nice that in Suikoden, at least the first two Hero's never used them, and when they were used in Suikoden III, they weren't just thrown in, they actually suited the characters role and life.

Quote:
Guns are good too but due to guns being limited to Howling Voice Guild members there aren't many heroes in the world that could carry it unless they were trained in the HVG or given a gun from one of its members which I doubt would happen. Guns in suikoden also seem to always have a soul.......well the ones we've seen so far. They sometimes lock up depending on the situation and this would suck if you had a gigantic bear paw coming at you.

Technically we've only seen three guns that come close to have a soul. Sturm (I'm not sure if it does or doesn't, but it doesn't have a True Rune imbedded in itself, so it must have something there), Mond and Stern - but I thought they were dueling guns more than anything. But there is an engimatic feeling surrounding the guns in Suikoden, probably due to the fact that they're only used within the Howling Voice Guild and we rarely see them.

The Moon Flower Rod of Nanami's (I'm not sure of the generic weapon name) was quite an interesting weapon as she used it for attacking and defending quite skillfully. I think being in a one-on-one fight with that weapon would be quite a challenge to defend from, so I'd like to see more characters in Suikoden use a weapon like that.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

sais; i liked the sais-they work for both offensive and defensive moves. i'd definitely want to see a character or two wielding them in the future; swords are nice, but far too common-more common than what's realistic, since they require much training to use properly, let alone use with anything approaching real skill.

wasn't nanami's rod jointed, kind of like nunchuks? *it's been too long since i've played to remember it exactly*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was like three shortish staffs joined together by a chain (not sure if that's right, but it would grant it some flexibilty). I think you only hold the two ends of it nearest the joint, and erm, whack away really. With skill of course. If you had small jagged balls on each end of end sections, then it would pack one hell of a punch when struck with it.

I like sais, unfortunately, the last time I think I saw a person use it was in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :( you're right though, I think they'd be an excellent weapon to appear in Suikoden.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nanami's weapon is called a "three-piece-rod" which has numerous uses. It can be used like a flail, or it can be used much like how a staff is used in defense. It can also be used to disarm opponents, put them in choke holds, knocking babanas off of trees, etc.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
You can make it extremely lethal by attaching blades to one end or the other, or use them like an axe or a sword. You can even throw tonfas pretty well because they tend to be balanced. It's generally non-threatening so you can carry one around without making people too freaked out, too. It can easily be disguised as a part of your furniture.

Well if modifications are allowed lets say we add a blade on one side. :mrgreen:
I'm not thinking of a spear but a staff with a blade attachment, kind of like an axe just instead of an axe add a half a sword haha. I know its hard to imagine but it'd give both cutting and hitting capabilities with good range and power.

SARSadmin wrote:
Nanami's weapon is called a "three-piece-rod" which has numerous uses. It can be used like a flail, or it can be used much like how a staff is used in defense. It can also be used to disarm opponents, put them in choke holds, knocking babanas off of trees, etc.

This weapon also requires GREAT skill to not just master but to have any real use out of. It takes great hand eye coordination as you have to use two of the sides at the same time so it takes a lot more concentration and practice but the weapon can be very deadly as it can be used to defend and attack at the same time. Like SARS mentioned before it can also be swung out for long reach and it is a very powerful piece of weapon that can easily block, disarm and counterattack in a couple of swift movements.

Syb wrote:
sais; i liked the sais-they work for both offensive and defensive moves. i'd definitely want to see a character or two wielding them in the future; swords are nice, but far too common-more common than what's realistic, since they require much training to use properly, let alone use with anything approaching real skill.

The true strength of the Sai's is that its easy to carry more than one. You really need to for defense and attack but any extras are useful for throwing. The only problem is that at close range combat the Sai's have very short reach. A Sai/Sword combo is usually very strong and a good way to quickly disarm or disable an opponent from using his weapon whilst stabbing him with the sword. I haven't thought of that one, but its a good idea.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blue Dragon Wok of Hai Yo's. That's really awesome, not only it'll hurt like hell to be smacked with a wok, the wok could also be used as a shield. So it's useful for both offense and defense. But that's not even all of it just yet. Not only the wok is useful for battles, it's also very useful when travelling. Imagine if you travel and need something to eat. Just kill them CutRabbits, and voila! Stir fry rabbit with some herbs or whatever.

But joking aside, I think I've always liked throwing knives, daggers, spears, and scythes (sp?). Throwing knives because I'm kind of a wuss in real life, so I prefer to throw knives from far away to avoid physical contact with the opponent *shudders* Daggers because I like my video game character to be skillful and agile, because daggers are small, they suit my character very well. I like spears because I think a thrust could be done quicker than to slash, so thrusting a spear would be cool. Spears could also be thrown like a javelin in case we need to do so. Scythes just simply look badass, especially since they're so darn big and look very lethal.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

da fangmeister wrote:
Quote:

Well if modifications are allowed lets say we add a blade on one side.
I'm not thinking of a spear but a staff with a blade attachment, kind of like an axe just instead of an axe add a half a sword haha. I know its hard to imagine but it'd give both cutting and hitting capabilities with good range and power.

i don't think a blade added to nanami's would be such a good thing; the chance of the user getting cut is much greater than that of the enemy; using a weapon with modifications in mind can be a tricky thing, since it can change the method of usage greatly, or render former uses 'useless.'

did you ever see yoshino's long naginata? that is about as close as you'll get to what you described; a staff with a blade-i think it would be more useful than most other polearms, since it seems to be of a similar size to a long staff, so you have the option of using it like a glaive for cutting or a staff for blocking and offensive moves.

other polearms appear to be longer *with the exception of the duck weapons* and would probably be too unbalanced for 'staff style' use due to the extra weight the axe head gives...balance can be a critical element for a weapon, after all. *especially crucial to a sword*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Rai-Jin

1416 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Lo Wen's Weapon..nobody like it? :(
2. Jowy's Staff..This was just awesome with the Dragons with the Orb in it..woop.
3. Ace's Sais..They really rocked. Like said before they can be used as defensive and offensive objects.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lorelai/Kirke's Halberd. I adore halberd's; they are my favorite polearm weapons. Sleek, elegant, and beautiful. Efficient. If I had to have any weapon, I'd want this one. In particular, though, I like the history behind the weapon. Kirke's an executioner, so you've got a bit of gory history right there...And I think it's interesting he passed it on to Lorelai, a character who he doesn't seem that conected with. (I wonder what happened between the two of them?) Then with Lorelai you have the sindar hunter issue; think of what she's used that halberd fore. 0.0 Their histories just really enforce how deadly and efficient the weapon is.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LadyBuggs wrote:
But joking aside, I think I've always liked throwing knives, daggers, spears, and scythes (sp?). Throwing knives because I'm kind of a wuss in real life, so I prefer to throw knives from far away to avoid physical contact with the opponent *shudders* Daggers because I like my video game character to be skillful and agile, because daggers are small, they suit my character very well. I like spears because I think a thrust could be done quicker than to slash, so thrusting a spear would be cool. Spears could also be thrown like a javelin in case we need to do so. Scythes just simply look badass, especially since they're so darn big and look very lethal.

Knives are a good weapon no doubt but their use is limited. They're in between bows and swords but can be used for a bit of both. If you hate close combat I'd suggest you go for a good ol' bow and arrow because throwing knifes takes a LOT of skill. If you've ever tried throwing knives or shuriken you'll find out how hard it actually is not just to aim them past a few meters but knives have a tendency to hit the target hilt first. Granted that would hurt a lot if it got someone in the head, it would just piss them off and make them rush for you twice as fast :lol: . The crossbow is probably the CHEAPEST weapon as it requires little skill or power and it can be recharged pretty damn fast.

As for the Scythe....... :shock: damn that things hard to use hahaha. I've used one before (not on humans though) and I can't imagine how the heck people would fight with those. They seem scary and all but moving them around is quite a chore and it does leave a huge gap in your defense for the opponent to stab you about 15 times before you get the damn thing set up heh. They do look cool though haha.

The Wiffle Champ wrote:
i don't think a blade added to nanami's would be such a good thing; the chance of the user getting cut is much greater than that of the enemy; using a weapon with modifications in mind can be a tricky thing, since it can change the method of usage greatly, or render former uses 'useless.'

Hell NO!!! Well.......unless you really want to cut yourself up haha. That weapon would be danger to ally and foe alike. I wouldn't go anywhere near someone wielding that thing.

Sybz wrote:
did you ever see yoshino's long naginata? that is about as close as you'll get to what you described; a staff with a blade-i think it would be more useful than most other polearms, since it seems to be of a similar size to a long staff, so you have the option of using it like a glaive for cutting or a staff for blocking and offensive moves.

Here is Yoshino with her weapon and I did mean something like that EXCEPT there would be no curve up top and the blade would not extend past the staff. Just imagine a simple staff like Jowy's, and then take the straight part of the blade and place it on one SIDE of the top of the staff. There would still be a possibility with smacking someone on the head without cutting them when you hit them with that side of the staff as well as cutting them. The one Yoshino has is more for stabbing even though it is a great weapon to use. The one I imagine is a little specific but I guess thats about as close as it gets as far as suikoden is concerned. It would just give the whole ease of use with good flexibility, speed, power and range all in one. Plus like SARS already mentioned this would be another weapon that could easily be concealed without freaking citizens out.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Lorelai/Kirke's Halberd. I adore halberd's; they are my favorite polearm weapons. Sleek, elegant, and beautiful. Efficient. If I had to have any weapon, I'd want this one. In particular, though, I like the history behind the weapon. Kirke's an executioner, so you've got a bit of gory history right there...And I think it's interesting he passed it on to Lorelai, a character who he doesn't seem that conected with. (I wonder what happened between the two of them?) Then with Lorelai you have the sindar hunter issue; think of what she's used that halberd fore. 0.0 Their histories just really enforce how deadly and efficient the weapon is.

Actually Lorelai/Kirke's weapon was a scythe if I remember correctly. And in the game though it looked like a pole-axe not a halberd. Halberds have a spear on the top and a beak-like blade oppisite of the axe. But I do agree I'm a very big fan of halberds, they have have greater offensive capabilites than a staff, spear and axe, able to make effective cuts and thrusts while also allowing for the defensice manuverability of a staff. The only set back is usually it's not balanced well. With all the weight being on one end, though usually the blades and spear tip are of a light metal while the butt of it is counter weighted with a heavier weapon. I'm an arms collecter and have several of these, magnifcent weapons.

But with halberds aside my favorite weapon would have to be Genshu's katana. I've spent 14 years of my life (I'm turning 19 this year) studying Japanese martial arts and swordsmanship, and I have great respect for the katana. It's faster and lighter compared to a longsword, it's capable of effective cuts and thrusts. It can be used one-handed or two allowing for faster or more powerful cuts. The later designs of the katana with the slightly curved blade allow for quicker release and stronger attacks from the scabbard And the work that goes into creating one is astonishing. My favorite weapon by far.

Coming up with a close second though is the scimitar, and if I'm remembering correctly Kasim's sword was one and I think the Karayan's weapons can also be classified as scimitars. They aren't really capable of good thrust attacks but because of the S design of them they are able to make extremely powerful cut attacks. Give a scimitar a longer grip to allow for two handed attacks and you've got yourself a mighty powerful sword.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: