Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dunan unification wars question

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Dunan unification wars question Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How long did this war last exactally? Im playing S3 right now and reading the book about the history of the war and it says

"Emperor Luca's death passed the throne to princess Jillia's husband of 17 years, Jowy Blight"

Did that game really cover more than 17 years of Suikoden history, or is that supposed to mean he was 17 years old?

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That statement only means that Jowy was 17 years old when he got the throne from Luca.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The war began and ended in the year 460.

We assume, given the sheer amount of crap that happened, that it was early 460 to late 460, rather than it all happening over the month of July. :wink:
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yea i figured thats what it ment. But when it is writen like that it sounds like they were married for 17 years. Maby the extra things in the game are just wrong because it also says in the script that Millich wrote that Millich fought with Tir for 18 years.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's actually correct. It has no grammatical errors whatsoever. The phrase "of 17 years" is just a shortcut for "of 17 years of age." The word "of" is the key word here.

It might be a little confusing if you read it as "for 17 years," which makes it wrong.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's just a bit of a bad translation. They meant to say that the throne passed to Jowy Blight, Jillia's 17 year old husband, not Jillia's husband of 17 years.

The problem is it's an ambivalent sentence, so it's hard to tell exactly what it means without following context, ala "She hit the man with the frying pan."

So yeah, basically, just bad translation. I believe the longest running war in Suikoden is the Gate Rune war of Suikoden I, which goes from 453 to 457.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: