Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who is Zerase
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drago

Unknown Warriors of Kooluk

500 Potch
2 Soldiers
13571 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Who is Zerase Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im just a little confused about who Zerase is, does she have a true rune or what? Or where is she from, where did she get her rune?
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe she's the night rune. An incarnation, similar to the Star Dragon Sword.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

she seems to have a tie to jeane, unless i'm remembering things incorrectly; zerase said something to jeane at some point in one of the rune rooms...?

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The rune she has is a decently powerful unique rune, but it is not a true rune.

Jeane and Zerase do seem to know each other. After Zerase finds out Jeane is the one who gave the Twilight Rune to Alenia, she doesn't seem to be her usual "You fool/idiot!" self and just accepts it.

She also has ties with Leknaat and Leknaat said that Zerase could see the stars of destiny as well. Zerase doesn't take much from that though.

She is connected with the Night Rune though I believe. Whether she is the Night Rune or not is up for debate. They both certainly are not nice beings.

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zerase mentions, more than once, especially at the Battle of Sol-Falena, that she needs/wants the power of the Rune of the Night to overpower Sialeeds' Twilight Rune.

As she repeatedly makes such comments, and refers to the Night Rune in the third person all the time, I doubt Zerase is an incarnation of the Rune of the Night.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zerase said: wrote:
the Sword of Night, blah, blah, blah, why do I have to do this?

Oboro is wondering what she's talking about, and so am I. Maybe she already knows that she soon has to take on the form of the Zodiac Sword, and is not exactly thrilled about the idea.

About the fact that she talks about the Night Rune in the third person: For one, she talks to other people, and she doesn't want them to know her real identity. Levi is nosy enough as it is. And on top of that: It is not uncommon for an incarnation or manifestation of a higher power to refer to said power in the third person. Jesus does refer to God in the third person, and yet Christians believe he was God himself. And both Rama and Krishna refer to Vishnu in the third person, yet they are supposed to be manifestations of him.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Oboro is wondering what she's talking about, and so am I.

from what i read from the old book on the sun rune, the night rune keeps the sun rune in check. but as soon as it transformed into the zodiac sword and left falena was when it started to go wrong.

Quote:
Zerase mentions, more than once, especially at the Battle of Sol-Falena

i just got done replaying the game and that's the only time where zerase mentions the night rune/zodiac sword. or at least that is the only time i've heard her mention it.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's almost no way she could be, unless after Suikoden V she rushed off to Scarlet Moon to transform into a sword and hide in some obscure cave which, while not impossible, is extremely unlikely.

I think the Star Rune is a derivative of the Night Rune though.

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masa wrote:
There's almost no way she could be, unless after Suikoden V she rushed off to Scarlet Moon to transform into a sword and hide in some obscure cave which, while not impossible, is extremely unlikely.

Not less likely than the fact that the Night Rune transforms into a sword and hides in said cave to begin with. Why should the fact that she was once in Falena make it any less likely? I don't understand your reasoning here.
And she wouldn't need to rush at all. There's enough time.

Sierra the vampire mentions that the original form of the Night Rune was not that of a sword, but neither she nor the sword give any details. That could imply that the rune had assumed a human form before (Zerase), but at least it shows us that the Night Rune had at least one different "incarnation" before.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, even though they speak in a similar manner, I doubt Zerase and the Zodiac Sword are one in the same. Not that there's any real evidence to back it up, but I always got the feeling that the Zodiac sword had been sitting around for a lot longer than the decade or so between V and I. That, and I've always thought of the Zodiac Sword as... masculine, if only because of it's face portrait.

My guess is that Zerase didn't transform into the sword, but it and the Star Rune are perhaps similar to the Dawn/Twilight runes situation. If the Sun Rune went out of balance when Night left, then I would imagine that Night would also be affected in some way.

I don't recall the exact line at Sol-Falena, but I thought it was something along the lines of "If only I had the Zodiac Sword". It feels to me like they're two parts of a whole, but not the same.

Still, I didn't think till now how similar their personalities are. Maybe there is some sort of oneness. Or maybe it's just a matter of being connected to the Night Rune.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that the Star rune was a true rune for some reason, but i do think that Iscalio might have a point, She could well be the night rune, if you think about the context of keeping the Sun Rune "in check" then she does fit the bill.

Though why would Leknaat know the name of the incarnation of the rune or the rune know Jeane, it is an enigma. I for one hope the answer is in the next Suikoden game.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only decent answer we could give Drago on Zerase's identity is that she is a woman in black, who has some connection to the Night rune. She also knows Jeane well, based on her conversation with Jeane about attaching the Sun rune to Lymsleia. She is just as mysterious as her friend is. Other than that, we know nothing more. We can only speculate.

So, let us speculate away!
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

if you got all the old books then go read one of them, it tells you a little bit about the night rune. since it left falena like i pointed out above then how can it be zerase then. then like what john layfield said she mentions that she wished that she had the zodiac sword aka the night rune to fight sialeeds and the twilight rune. so that easly gets ride of how zerase isn't the night rune.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For those who wonder what the Old Book said, courtesy from blazefeeler's guide about Old Book in gamefaqs

Quote:
Old Book Volume 2
==================
"The Sun Rune and the Night Rune"

"Long, long ago, the Sun Rune and the Night Rune were born into the world,
their existence intertwined. They had a strong bond between them, as one
controlled light, while the other reigned over darkness."

"Before long, however, the Night Rune became annoyed by the dazzling
brilliance of the Sun Rune. The Night Rune could stand it no longer!
Turning itself into a sword, the Night Rune severed the bond between them,
and went off on its own."

"From the fragments of the bond left behind, the Dawn Rune and the Twilight
Rune were born. Ever since the Sun Rune lost its other half, legend has it
that these two new Runes have remained by its side, acting as guardians."

So what we can conclude from the Old Book entry is that Sun Rune and Night Rune used to be "together" (not as one, but more like as a pair) and the Twilight/Dawn Rune were born after the "separation" between Sun and Night Rune.

Now the question is, does the entry literally mean that the Sun Rune and Night Rune being together in Falena or just "somewhere in the world"? I would think that it was indeed in Falena as I remember vaguely about Sun Rune being found in Lunas (and that's why it became the holy place) so that should mean that Night Rune was indeed in Falena too once upon a time.

Since we can see that Twilight and Dawn Rune had been in Falena for quite some time up to the Suikoden V timeline, then it is safe to assume that Night Rune left Falena since long ago too. This would support the impression that some people had that the Star Dragon Sword had been in hiding in Scarlet Moon Empire for quite somet time as well (in which I also have the same impression).

For my own personal theory about Zerase, I simply think that she's just a really powerful magician that is blessed with "super power or fate or whatever" that allows her to be picked by the Star Rune as the bearer (that's why she's always like "you don't deserve to bear Dawn/Twilight Rune"). And though this is just assumption, I have a feeling that Star Rune is somewhat related to Night Rune just like Twilight/Dawn Rune to Sun Rune.

But in the end, I really don't know. So beats me. >.<;

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although there is nothing to say that the night rune couldn't have grown legs and donned a nice black cape to go a check up on it's old friend, and if the dawn and twilight runes were semi born from the Night rune then that also give the motivation for the lines "Your not worthy to bear <insert name> rune".

Also do you not see a certain similarity in the personalities of the Star dragon sword and zerase?

Although i do like the idea of the Star rune being a powerful "aspect" rune linked to the night rune, i just don't see how she could be so wise and know Jeane/leknaat if there isn't something more about her that is rune related.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: