Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Lack of Difficulty?[spoilers]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Lack of Difficulty?[spoilers] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When playing this game I ran into the constant problem of not being challenged. Disregarding the fact that there were one extremely difficult dungeon and another level up area on board your ship. Even when cruising around on your ship using your second team. You easily win ever battle you fight. Land dragon, small islands, and other small boses are justed wiped out by any combination of rune spells. I am not trying to sound boastful about this, but by reading small comments made in other post i find that others encountered to same problem as I did. I am not saying there weren't challenging parts but there was only a few. I cannot recall having to restart after dieying. Only angel hairballs made me use the POTCH command, and that was early in the game. I love this game, it is very good in my opinion, but to quick and to easy.

Especially in my New Game+ nothing comes close to beating me. Although, I did equip the fortune rune as soon as possible so by the time i left the desserted island i was at lvl 36. The only thing i try to achieve know is to make every fighting character as high as possible without spending the rest of my life.

Comments:
Mad Mage

0 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you won't say "there weren't challenging parts", I will. The game's difficulty is a joke. The nearly unlimited amount of healing items you can carry is only the beginning of all the things that make this game ridiculously easy. The only time I died was when I picked the wrong dialog choice, choosing not to use the rune of punishment in Obel.

But why be surprised? The Suikoden series has always been the easiest of the easy. Put a half decent water rune mage in your party for Suikoden 1 or 2 and a couple characters with sharpened weapons and you can beat any battle. Put an 'S' class mage in your Suikoden 3 party and the game is a breeze. The only way to make Suikoden games difficult is to use poorly equipped or lousy characters on purpose.

Frankly, I don't mind that Suikoden is so easy. I think it's easy for the same reason the battles go so fast. The games are centered around plot and army building. If the games were tougher they would be more tedious. I lament the lack of a "hard mode", but I can accept the series' difficulty and appreciate why they made it the way it is.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was upset that by the end of the game, when all of my characters were at least level 40, the difficulty of the monsters did not change around certain spots like Obel, Na-Nal, or Nay. The only monsters changed around Razril and Middleport. Sailing around these areas is just meaningless (and annoying) because there is no threat of deadly monsters.

I would have also liked to see more serious boss fights randomly dispersed in the sea, just outta nowhere here comes a monster that you haven't seen in that area (you know, like the area boss fights of SIII).

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

most difficulty i had was with those battles i ran into during the ted sidequest
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same thing here, sortof. I thought that the Obel Ruins were tough when you had to go there to recruit Travis (of couse, I had 1 underleveled character that I was trying to keep alive...). I thought that the final boss dungeon was easy in terms of the random monsters (the soldiers were simple).

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The hardest battles are when you're fighting those monsters that come back to life after they die (Obel ruins, Fog ship). Well, they aren't necessarily hard, but you have to work a bit to win them.

None of the Suikoden games have been particularly hard when it comes to random battles, though. Perhaps there could have been some optional bosses that you can encounter, like in the Wild Arms games or Xenosaga.

The hardest boss in the entire Suikoden series is that ghost dragon you meet at the Toran castle in Suikoden. It was always been hard work to beat that guy.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that bosses should grow according to your own exp. Level.
Carabbit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden IV was blindingly easy, but then again so was Suikoden II and Suikoden III. *shrugs*
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats been done before like in Lunar SSSC where the boss' stats are mutiplied by alex's level.

But in suiko 1 2 and 3 at least for me there were times where i got my ass beat. And usually all the bosses put up a good fight. IF you take suiko 3 for granted you can get killed easily by standard eniemies.

And even if you might think the suiko games are easy up to this point theve been a hell of a lot of fun. Suikoden 4 is more of a burden to play than anything else.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

FF8 did that with everything. All monsters grew with you; it wasn't until you got to level 75 that they stopped. Not sure what I think about having them in GS, but it could make things more interesting.

In retrospect, the nigh infinite capacity for healing items was a feature from Final Fantasy we could have done without.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seriously, this game took half as long as the last installment, and the last boss came into play much better. There giant bird was awesome! I mean I enjoyed getting stomped by him until the first time, he was hard and took a very long time to beat.

But a tree bull? Whos idea was that?
Marth

Pancake Masters

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That tree doggy looked cool

This game was the shortest ever... I liked Suikoden 3 way better.

What giant bird??
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Wind Rincar (final boss of S3) was a bird.

Also... the entire game is so easy the final boss caught me unawares. ^^ I thought the easy-ness would continue to the final battle... but it's a little bit harder then everything else. As it should be, but everything esle was so easy I wasn't prepared.

Although I still found it too easy... I could take it out my second try. And plus getting 108 stars was sinchy this time around.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sinchy? Are you telling me you found the Mermaids unaided...? That would be rather impressive, after all. I know at the very least I would never have found most of them, along with a couple other characters, without a guide.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

by the way, does anyone know all the other early recruits in the game. I just got Oleg and am about to head back to Obel. Who can i get between now and the cut scene? and how do you get travis and keen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: