Suikoden Uncanny and Infamous Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Offended? Disagree? Just Ban it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Offended? Disagree? Just Ban it Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

because this got 5 replys in a half hour on another forum, here we go. Another Kuutastic debate from me.

the nature of this topic can span from banned books to the lucrosity of some things, such as banning Harry Potter from a school system because "children cannot tell the differance between fantasy and reality, they will try casting spells on other students", yes people, this did happen.

other kind of things have happend, rules and new morals are instilled as to not mislead kids, American Programing for children needed 15 seconds of educatonal content, smoking in childrens films may be a no-no (I swear I heard this one) and they take all religious/spritual content out of the "His Dark Materials" film, as to not offend everyone and anyone (but disheartend fans)

so, we can give examples, gripe, moan, complain and defend our stances. say "sure great idea, I'm offended that this cartoon had a friendly demon in it, we shold blacklist this film for everyone"

anyway...Happy Hunting!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't like how some states are banning certain video games, like GTA, because they think that it will make kids start shooting each other. I'm tired of these kids blaming their actions on video games. Take responisbility! They're just using video games as an easy out. It's ridiculous. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tired of this.
Spell Breaker

The Long Patrol

162411 Potch
122 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you want to talk about banned books then look no further than Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. This is a book that has been mired in controversy since it was published. Even after over a hundred years since its publication, it has been banned in schools because of its use of a certain six letter N word and has been criticized for its poor language. Compare the title to its predecessor, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer."
I enjoyed the book a lot. I thought it was a good story about a boy who could not find a place of his own; who ended up in a very unsatisfactory living situation; does something about it and helps a friend in need, even though that friend is of a class that is severely looked down upon. It's also a good tale about what freedom is.
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Spell Breaker, I've read both of those books in school. It was in junior high school and high school but I still had to read them. I only remember the controversy about The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and it was exactly for the language used. I can't say that I came away with a great deal of knowledge after reading those books but I don't think that I was corrupted by them.

The only other controversial book that I read in school was The Catcher in the Rye and that was because it had mention of suicide, underage drinking, and also the realistic language used. It wasn't offensive but it was written like someone would actually speak. That was a lot of slang usage and there was some strange issue with that in an English class. It was more annoying then it was offensive and I didn't see the big deal about it.

I can see that some schools would want to place limits on the material that they want to teach and removing a book from a class would be one way to do that. I don't think that they should ban books from schools and take them if students bring them in or remove them from the school library if those are the actions that administrators are using these days.

If schools don't force students to read books like that then I don't see the majority of students reading them on their own time but that should be left for a different thread.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm rather cross about His Dark Materials but I've voiced my opinions on that. I was reading a preview of it in a film magazine and I just can't picture how they're going to re-word the script enough for it to make sense and STILL remain true (enough) to the story - which apparently they're doing.

It seems to me that if people are going to be offended by watching or reading something, they should just stop watching or reading it.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, if people find something offensive, they shouldn't bother to ban it from everyone else. Not all people agree on everybody else's opinion, and doing something like this will most likely end up in trouble.

The best way to handle this situation is to just ignore this offensive things. As what Axiose said, they should just stop minding these things.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
Well, if people find something offensive, they shouldn't bother to ban it from everyone else. Not all people agree on everybody else's opinion, and doing something like this will most likely end up in trouble.

The best way to handle this situation is to just ignore this offensive things. As what Axiose said, they should just stop minding these things.

I guess so, but the media is so saturated with it. I'm starting to get botherd by the sex-saturated sitcoms, one I guess is because I'm not brimming with "that", jelious and posslby an agnsty asexual. I sit here at the computer and type/draw away while whiney people on these shows pout about whatnot.

I chat buddy I talk to would always send me to christainanswers.somthing when I'd swab at him (swing+stab+snarky inquandries) , asking ludicrius questions of 'metaphysyical' proportions...such as "if rainbows were mentioned after the flood, does that mean prior to that there were none?

In that site they have a review section for films, TV and games. For Christains, by Christains. I know Disney films have thousands of problems, but to throw fits and lable a film "offensive" over cultural (and wrong) differances, supernatural aspects, witches (and of course good-old unruly children) to me is, I don't know. Silly? Its them, either by a large or smaller demographic. They warn other parents not to let children watch Mulan "because Mushu, the dragon is a good guy and comic relief, we all know the dragon is saten and nothing to laugh at", that is almost an exact quote from them.

All the same can be said for vidio games, FF10 mocks the Catholic Church
Quote:
(even Maestor looks like Pastor)
And anything where you cast magic is on the road to satiism. (to quote somone on the forum
Quote:
looks like our achient enemy is at it again
Yes, Japanese story/script writers are out to kill Christain America by saturating our media with supernatural evils like Yu-Gi-Oh and Final Fantasy.

there is a big, very big "offended" thing, I don't know if they try to ban such, but they suggest parents bar such entertainment from their children. People, Spare your kid's souls, let them watch somthing other than Brother Bear . apprenrtly "what the bleep do we know" is offensive. I that brings other topics, educating offensive things. Like..truth and "alternitive history"

read some of their reviews, like for "happy feet" and "ice age 2", of course our cartoons are getting racy and scary, but for the love of pixalited goodness! a 12 year old crying and jumping out of their seat frightend because a snagle toothed sea monster chases the star of the film? or your 10 year old asking mommy somthing about some blatent innudendo? do these kids grow up thinking that storks still deliver babies?(trust me I heard a story once about a 23 year old who got married and had no clue about human procreation)

Offended! tell everyone these films are evil.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: