Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A distinct lack of Mermaids [spoilers]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: A distinct lack of Mermaids [spoilers] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Something someone mentioned on another thread made me think of this. The blue mermaid [Lilin, I think?] is the first of the Mermaids to recruit, yes? I remember seeing in a guide that to recruit her, you should pick certain responses when talking to her. Is it actually possible to piss her off so that she won't join you? If so, isn't it possible then to get -none- of the Mermaids? I wonder, then, how precisely the battle against Kookluk at El-Eal plays out, without the mermaids to pilot courses on your decoy ships. Or was that guide incorrect in suggesting you needed to pick specific responses at all?

Also, what had been said in the other thread was that the final battle would still use all the Mermaids in the scene whether you have recruited them or not; how is this justified? I sort of half-jokingly said that whoever you did recruit simply conscripted her sisters at the end - non-Stars, since they weren't taken in by the Tenkai, I guess? - but I was wondering if there was anything more complicated to this.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I understand what you are saying.....And, in the first game that i started i did not manage to get every mermaid. I did, however, manage to get the first one. The one you meet on the island and talks incredibly strange. In the cut sceen i still see all five mermaids. I dont know how i managed to get only 2 mermaids in all but they all were in the movie. Maybe the final battle is set so that you must have them to fight the final boss.

And another thing, i dont recall ever really recruiting the one of the mermaids, Lilon, I think. All i know is that one day i went to the accessory atelier and she was standing in the shop waiting for me to purchase. I honestly dont think that i ever actually recruited her. the one and only possibility is when a friend of mine played it when i was passed out and he recruited her......
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, that happened to my friend too. He beat the game but he couldn't find about 12-15 SODs so he just skipped them. When I asked about the Mermaids (them being characters you need to KNOW how to recruit and can't really just be lucky about), he said he only got the first one. But he told me that near the end of the game, all 5 were there in the Accessory shop and he just shrugged it off.

So yeah, I don't think there's a way to NOT recruit Lilin at least, and the others join automatically once you reach the end of the game. However, it might still be too late at that point to receive the perfect ending, so maybe they just join for story reasons.

I'm already at the end of the game again in my New Game+, so it's too late for me to try it out. I do plan on playing through all the Suikodens recruiting as few characters possible, so I'll definitely see what happens when I get to IV again. (It might be a while though.)

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am own my New Game+ also, and i have just recruited Lilin. I am making sure i get everyone before i give the stupid golden seal back. I gave it back not knowing the game would be so short, and ended up thinking i had much more game to play, but it turns out that i missed about 10-12 SODs also. I was not very happy
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's definately too late for the perfect ending by the time they're autorecruited, as apparently at least they -are- recruited [I didn't realize they showed up in the Atelier either]. The scene where they steer the decoys is well after the night you need all 108 Stars; and since your final Star requires the other 107 to be recruited, you definately won't be able to have gotten all of them in time.
Orion the Mage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What purpose do the mermaids serve besides to sail decoy ships. Yes that is a major job to do, but why do they need 5, and even though there are five ships, they are all the exact same. All have same materials. You cant fight with them, and they are stupid.

When you are on the deserted island and Lilin comes up to you to tell you that Chiepoo is in trouble she sounds like she doesnt know what words are. "The cat can't win" But then again when she meets Hero in the cave for the very first part she sounds fine. When she gives you the lucky ring, and also in the water, but i personally feel they just added those 5 mermaids to fill in for lack of 108 SODs. Maybe they couldnt find anymore to add, so they just make 5 stereotyped mermaids.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Lilon is probably the most easiest Mermaid to recruit besides Lilin so I'm not surprised you recruited her. I recruited her by accident when I was chasing after Snowe from the Pirate's Den and she just came out of nowhere and joined.
Squirtle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well. The mermaids are there to fill the role of the Vowel Quints, as I like to call them. Suikoden 1 has Mose and the Blacksmiths. Suikoden II has Muku-Muku and the squirrels, Suikoden II has Koruko and the dogs. And Suiko IV had Lilin and the mermaids. And, well, there are aother, more useless SoDs, anyway. (Gary and Ema, anyone? Even though Gary's cool.) So, I personally think the Mermaids are all right. Acessories are super useful, after all.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There were quite a few useless characters in this game. Gary and Ema could be used for Rune cannons, not that you would or anything. The most useless character in the game is Oleg, he has a cool invention and all, but it should have been used for more then what it was used for. I personally thought Gary freaked me out in a ways.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Squirtle

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should have been able to use Oleg's camera, in First person, to take screenshots you can save to your memory card. Equally as useless, but very cool. >_>
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I agree about the screenshot idea. Oleg was a very useless character.

Gary is like Maximillian, only useable in major battles.
Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can't we just say that there were MANY useless characters in this one? That sure saves us time instead of going one by one, hehe. :D

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there're many useless characters in all of them. But despite this, there's still well better than twice as many GOOD characters with interesting stories and good in game use than just about any other non-Suikoden RPG. The only game, to my knowledge, that comes close is Final Fantasy 6.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gary and Ema are support characters. Not quite as 'useless' as Marlowe, for starters.
Gaara

Arrancars

5665 Potch
8300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most useless character in Suikoden history: Onil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: