Suikoden Urgent and Informational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

[Suggestion Needed] Mediocre Characters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: [Suggestion Needed] Mediocre Characters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello there,

I'm just starting over the game with my New Game+ file, and going to get all 108 SoD this time around. The first time I played, I used the "cool characters" that I wanted to use before, and they all turned out to be strong anyways (Miakis, Isabel, Killey, Zerase, etc). So this time I'd like to play using mediocre characters (Cornelio for corny mediocrity joke, anyone?) instead just for fun, and hopefully make the game somewhat more challenging.

So I'm looking for suggestions on mediocre characters. And no, just to make it clear, my goal is not to make my party as weak as I can so that every single battle is challenging, I just simply want to use mediocre characters so that the game doesn't turn to be too easy.

I'm looking at a party setup of:
5 melee and 1 mage, OR
4 melee and 2 mages

So please suggest accordingly and take into consideration that the Prince is in the party (and possibly Lyon too, but I'm not going to boost them up to the ridiculous super-power character like).

Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

how about corny + all the do re mi annoyances?

faylon and faylen + roy and random mage of choice

the hillbilly family, er, kisara, logg and lun, and for laughs, throw in subala

all available dwarves...and random mage of choice

the island nations crew and random mage of choice

alhazred, the turtle and snake

i'm not too hot on the use of straight mages; i usually use a 'battle mage' type instead for versatility.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A few to try would be

Joshaphine, most people stop using her once Zerese comes along, but she is still a pretty good mage.

Shoon, You don't get him till quite late in the game but he is a good fighter!

Ax, i never used Ax that much, so im guessing most other people haven't either.

Also try out the New Armes girls that come with Shula, i can't quite remember the name at the moment but one of them is a good replacement for Sialeeds when she goes off.
Camillus

6th Temple Guard Regiment "The Relentless"

68334 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is hard to find mediocre characters in this game but let's try :(btw. they are only IMHO)

Bernadette - I like Island Nations so she is very good character mage wise, mainly - however in game her portrait..annoys me.
Yahr - very nice short range attacker, not top one but still usable and cool.
Nelis - (have I said that I have something for Island Nations?) my favourite from island nations - good mage and also not bad attack and I like her appearance.
Kisara - "mediocre" mage I can say. she has a little annoying weapon (rope WTF?) but her magic is nice indeed.
Dinn - not best one, but good character story wise and skill wise - it is fun to have at least one character with two-handed weapon, right?
Lun - I find her really cool. I simply like to have her in my party. She can fill many roles - physical attacker, magic user, support magic user. I was using her as attacking support magic user. Gave her drain rune and earth rune and here we go.
Lu - a little weird but also nice long range attacker. However her "KEWLness" may be a little disturbing.
Sharmista - well I felt that something is gone after certain things concerning Sialeeds and Sharmista have similar weapon and abilities - maybe a little worse but still she found her way to my last three parties in the game.
Lelei - I'm currently playing my 2nd time and found her really nice. She may seem a little bland in her uniform but is nice as a suport mage that can withstand some blows.
Urda, Sagiri, Faylen - nice long range attackers. I liked Sagiri the most of them but probably only because her story.

Here are some other but I think they can be a little too powerful for your mediocre list:
Shigure - high speed demon, and have nice coop with Sagiri.
Eresh - nice mage, but have only one free slot(2 are permanently fixed) and is connected somehow with Jane and Nagarea so ..I like her.
Viki - not the best mage but still really powerful - however I don't like her blinking magic.
Jeane - maybe too much fun service but still good character - not as powerful as Zerase but good.
Hazuki - well don't know if she fills the prerequisits because she was in my main squad - she parries like hell - through my playtrough she only had problem with last boss but other things ended up parried and counterattacked at least once per battle.I have written her here because she doesn't seem to be the most popular character.

I haven't put those characters in the templates you wanted because ..I don't remmeber all of their attack ranges but I think they should fit in you teams easily in many combinations.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Zweig is quite certainly mediocre.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

guess lorelai would also be one since her stats are some what similar to zweig. but if you haven't used richard or belcoot i suggest at least using one of them. they ain't medicore but you gotta have at least one power house in your line up :mrgreen:

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ouch, I'm so not going to do the "Cornelio + Do Re Mi Elves" party, it's going to be really a big big hassle to try get all the elves. I don't think I'm that patient to do that. I do get some ideas from the suggestions here. Dwarves seemed to be out of the question too since I've never been a fan of the dwarves (though Bergen looks funny and I like him with his magic talk BOOM explosion hahaha, maybe I will give him a shot)

I think the Raftfleet characters are quite interesting, but I hate Logg's portrait. He looks just too dumb (though he's not the smartest cookie, I wish the portrait isn't *that* stupid). I might try Lun and Subala though. Is Subala bad bad? I didn't get her the first time I played, but she looks quite cool from the portrait I saw. And how early can I get Subala?

Alhazred, Byakuren, and Gennoh. I only got the Heihachi look-a-like the last time I played so I have no idea how good/bad/mediocre Byakuren and Gennoh are. I did have a plan to use at least 1 old character in my party consistently up until I can recruit Gennoh. And since I did create a turtle in my fic in the past, I'm really interested to see what Gennoh can do. But maybe not up to the point of using all three of them at the same time.

Josephine would be nice, I guess, especially since she comes in early. But Shoon would most likely be a no-no. Is it just me, or do you also think that his portrait looks somewhat "more cartoon-ish" when compared to others?

I did use the New Armes girls (Sharmista and Nifsara or something like that) they are both quite good. They went to my Prince's party for the last dungeon, but yeah, nothing special.

I didn't do the Island Nations thing, so Bernadette was the only one in my SoD list the last time I played. Didn't really get the chance to try her out, but I'm willing to give her a shot this time around (with Yahr and Nelis) since I should have more money to sharpen everyone's weapon.

I am indeed very annoyed with Lu's "Kewlness" so much that I purposely did not recruit her the last time I played even though I'm quite sure that I know what to do to get her. I guess this time around I'll get her though she's just warming up the bench.

I did use Lelei for most of the game (gosh I hate the uniform, seriously, she's no longer a prison guar, stop wearing that ugly thing that won't help to fool the enemy anyways) with Cius too. Lelei was nice, but Cius' portrait made me angry hahaha.

Sagiri and Shigure, I do plan to use them early on but I heard that we get Sagiri later in the game. Does this mean that I can't use Sagiri as early as Shigure? Or would Sagiri be usable but just "hasn't joined SoD officially yet"?

Hazuki is definitely on my "to use" list since she looks very cool, but I didn't get her the first time around because I couldn't be bothered bringing Belcoot haha. Oh well, I'll un-lazy myself this time around to make sure I get her.

I just realized that most of the characters suggested are female, and boy I hate the Gordius part for the all-male bit. Zweig is indeed mediocre, very mediocre that I hate him. Everytime I see him I want to smack his glasses. And he's forced in the party quite often throughout the game anyways, so I'm not keen with adding more of his party-time. I've had enough from the forced ones.

Though Richard is not mediocre, I think I'll give him a shot since I didn't get him the last time I played (same with Cathari too). I want to see what he can do (and he'll also be there at the end to duel Childerich along with other characters, I want to see all of them if I can).

Okay, now after thinking about it more, I have a few characters to ask about whether they are good or not:
1. Ernst and Norma
2. Raven
3. Any of the beavers (especially the rock-star one)

And thank you everyone for the suggestions so far, I think I definitely have lots of names now.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ernst reminded me of Bob from Suikoden II, but not as good. He does transform, but he doesn't become super-powered. As opposed to Bob though, he does get some decent spells. The cat form wasn't all that great as I recall. Didn't use Norma except she had that potch increasing skill so she was kept as support.

Raven can dodge very well (because of his rune), but other than that, he's nothing special. He wasn't weak though.

I only used the first beaver you get (the visor one) and the rock star one. They're both all right. As I recall, they were relatively speedy, but suffered from lack of defense. Then again, it could have just been the armor.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

5 melee and 1 mage, OR
4 melee and 2 mages

Try Alhazred, Bernadette (quite good, actually), Muroon, or Norma at mage.

As for melee, give Ernst, Yahr, Nelis, Lun, Nifsara, Mathis, and Hazuki a shot.

These are my suggestions, anyway. My final party was, how shall I say, awesome.

Prince (primary)
Lyon (primary, but gone after she used up the Twilight Rune)
Zegai (the legend...)
Belcoot (have you ever dealt 4000 damage on one hit?)
Isabel (this chick kicks arse.)
Georg (secondary. Oddly enough, Georg kept dying!)
Killy (great all around. However, after he used up his magic, I swapped him.)
Jeane (primary)
Zerase (primary)
Gavaya (secondary. This dude was packing some heat when I leveled him up! He may be one of the most powerful Stars.)

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lets see here Black Pesmerga, I'll give you my expertise on many of the characters profiled in this thread and I'll add a few myself.

Island Nations Crew

Bernadette, to start things off. I found her to be a very competant mage. She's personally one of my favorite characters in the game and she excells with a fire/rage rune. She's got a nice attack along with her magic skill which made me like her more than Jeanne, Levi or the other mage-types. Aside from Zerase, I'd say she was the most used mage in my game.

Yahr, he's great if you're looking for an average character. He's not excellent at anything but he's not poor either. He has an adequate attack (Unless your team is filled with Belcoot, Richard and Logg type powerhouses) and a relatively decent magic ability to follow it up. I can't remember what magic he was most proficient in, but I think he makes a decent healer.

Nelis is, in my opinion, the weakest of the Island Nations folk (Except Chisato naturally since she doesn't fight) but she's still a fun character to use because her personality is quite positive and nice. Its not grating or anything. But in battle, I didn't care for her much.

Dwarves

Bergen is the one you showed interest in, so I'll come out first and foremost and tell you the Suikoden III law of ages does not apply to Suikoden V. While Melville, Thomas and Cecile could own the battlefield, Bergen does nothing of the sort. He's the weakest of the dwarves and you'd think after apprenticing with Levi he'd pick up some magical ability, but he doesn't. In fact I think Gunde has better magic power than he does. Bergen straight up sucks.

Gunde was the best of the dwarves. A shame you don't get him until way later in the game. He's got a decent attack and a sound defense, like one would expect from a dwarf. But he IS a dwarf and has no magic ability at all really, so I'd pass him up unless you like challenging yourself. If you have a 2 mage set up, he MIGHT be a fun try.

Wabon, I found him to be only a notch or two above Bergen. His attack was not much better but his defense was. Also, he sucks because a wasted slot goes to his Blacksmith ability. What a waste. Again, unless you like making your life very difficult, let Wabon do his minecart madness.

Raftfleet Hooligans

I'll start this with the oaf you claimed looked like a dummy. Logg, dispite his "Say Cheese" portrait, is one of the better characters through the midgame. He's got some serious power. Put a power rune on him and place him in the back row, he'll whallop the enemy for masive damage, even from the back row. Also, being in the back he will not take much physical damage. You'll be amazed how quickly he can 1 hit the somewhat harder enemies.

Lun is a nice pick for mid level characters also. She's not as strong as her dad, nor is she as magically able as her mother. And being a child, she's faster than both. If you want baalanced characters, shes the one for you. He weapon is also qwuite remeniscent of Final Fantasy VIII's Ward. Nothing like launching a huge harpoon at your opponent!

Kisara, like I hinted at earlier, is a magic type character, but not as good as the higher "Fighting" mages like Josephine or Bernadette. Kisara hits harder than both Bernie or Yuma, but herm magic is less potent. Also, Kisara is proficient with Water runes, so she's a decent healer, but her physical back-up isn't that great. Ghe's like 60% mage, 40% attack. Not really that great of a percentage.

Subala. Well, she's the Bergen of this group. I found her to be not only the most annoying character during the fishing game, but the most useless in battle. Her attack is less than Lun's and her magic is even worse. I don't know what her "perk" would be. Maybe she has wicked high magid cefense? I didnt use her long enough to see. She sucks.

Beavers

I'll do this alphabetically, Maroon first. Maroon is the one in the blue coat witht he Jetsons like visor on his eyes. He's mediocre to say the least. He's the most average all around, maybe a little beter at attcking than the rest, but still nothing too wonderful.

Meroon. Nuuohh.. Kiddie Rule not in effect here again. She's pitiful. Definitely the cutest of the beavers, but the most useless. She has okay magic, but nothing you can't get from better "Mediocre" characters.

Miroon. The bath beaver. Nothing spectacular. When has the bath character ever been good at fighting? Sansuke? That guy from II (I keep thinking Shilo, but he's the gambler from Lakewest)? Goro didn't fight. And was there a bath in IV? I never bothered to care. Anyhow, Miroon follows suit and doesn't do well in battle.

Moroon. Sorry to say, the rock and roll beaver isn't much more than a cool battle tune. He does have the best attack and can take a hit, but magically he's pale. If you want a mediocre attacker without magic, Moroon is a cool pick, just because he's cool looking, changes the music and is unique.

Muroon. Here's the creme of the crop for the beavers. He's the one who helps you destroy the dam and stuff. He's quite proficient in magic too. His attack is lacking compared to Mor and Mar, but his magic outshines both of their physical ability. Muroon was in my squad early in the game and frequently made appearances throughout the game.

Others

Raven is actually fairly usefull. If you get the formation that puts one person up front to take all the hits, his rune is optimized and he becomes even more useful, but any magic attacks he takes wipes him out. Not the strongest physically either but thats fine because he never gets physically hit. Try him out and see if you like him, I did.

Lu. I hated her personality. Apparently Lu must mean "Annoying character" in the suikoden world. Lu, Lulu... Both highly annoying and terrible. Lu in battle to be honest isn;t that atrocius, but her personality truly is. I consider her the worst gadgeteer in the series. But if you like archer's she's okay. I guess. Defensively weak, but she is supposed to be in the back.

Ernst. I think Sage said it fine. He's like Bob, but not as good. Once you get him back to his human form, he's wicked strong, but it wasted that turn and the damage he does, is good, but nine times out of ten, by the time you get him transformed and ready to attack, his power won't be needed. Maybe it will though if you're using a team of mediocrities.

Cornelio, king of Mediocrities. He's the weakest of the pure mages. With little attack power, he often finds the bench early in most people's games. Also, since he has that rune that is fixed, often people ditch him before he can affix a second. Even with the DoReMi Elves as a back-up, he's nothing spectacular. If you want a lower tier mage, go with Alhazred, Kisara or Muroon.

Norma, tyo be completely honest I used her in like 5 battles, didn;t see any perks and benched her. She might have a redeeming value, maybe her unite with Ernst is wildly effective,. I don't know. I never saw anything useful in her.

Sharmista and Nifsara are both nice selections as they're both competent in magic and attacks. Either or, or both, they're worth additions to a mid level squadron.

Sagiri and Shigure. You get Shigure a lot earlier. No you don't get Sagiri and she can fight for you but doesn't join until later, after the scenes where to have to find Nroden, she disappears and you don't get her until after Sable (When you pick up Nakula). Shigure though is quite a favorite of a lot of people. He's strong and fast. And his lackidaisical attitude is quite funny. I loved him. Sagiri on the other hand I found to be not worth the wait. Shigure is better all sround. While I'm in the area, I'll go over Nakula too. He's slow but strong and he's not that bad of a tank character. He could easily fit into a mediocre grouping.

If you want a mediocre team, do not use Belcoot, Hazuki, Richard, Zerase or Cathari. Yes, Cathari. She's got a VERY strong weapon. I put a rune on her that upped her critical percentage and she almost never missed and did wicked damage from the back row. She made my final party and was an MVP in the dungeons leading up the the final boss. Its a darn shame you can't pick her up until near the end. Anyhow, She's above mediocre level so don't use her for more than her Godspeed Rune.

Other mediocres I suggest you try. Rahal and Roog. Both of them are quite strong and useful. Roog is the more powerful one, but Rahal makes better usage of runes, but overall both are decent across the board. I'd put them on level with Dinn in terms of usefulness. Roog tends to be slow and miss more often. Rahal tends to take more damage. But if you can remedy their ailments, they're worthy fighters.

Mathias is another very great gharater. I place him abopve mediocre, but if you want someone who has some power and defense but not so much it makes the game easy, He's your man. And he'll gladly deposit any corpses into the nearby water source.

Thats my rundown. Killey is not bad too, but I think everyone used him their first play through because, well, he's Killey.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Goesch! Goesch! Goesch! He's so cool looking and is actually a decent fighter when used properly. He's not winning any foot races but he's got the Mow Down skill and packs a punch, with equipping heavy armors to boot. Definent potential, which also great because he is a farmer who fights and is good!

I liked Alhazred, personally. Try him out.

Faylen makes a competent long range fighter. Unfortunately she's a lack luster mage but perhaps if you equipped her with a few support runes you could make a support mage/back row bomber player. May work.

Zegai. Good special skill. Good design. Good Attack. Good Defense. Good technique. Good.

Cathari got good when I threw a Crazed Rune on her. She just sat in the back and shot first and did damage. Worked well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's my take.

The Raftfleeters:

Logg: Too slow. Seriously. Even though he has a decent damage ratio, everyone else will get to attack before him and in random battles, the enemies will be dead before he even gets a hit. Not to mention the fact that he misses a lot against fast enemies. Although his unite with Lun is quite useful especially in the early stages of the game. I say use him until you start recruiting much better "mediocre" characters.

Lun: I love Lun. She's awesome. She's fast, has decent magic (I have her use Fire magic for the most part) and tends to use her Pierce Skill quite often as you improve it. Her attack IS weaker than her dad's but I'd rather have a good hit than a damn miss, especially if it can attack more than one enemy.

Kisara: Not bad (again) for the early stages of the game. Her magic is alright but Josephine's is better and you get her around the same time anyway. Kisara's strength is a bit higher than you're typical magicians so that might be something you're looking for.

Subala: I don't know about Red, but I loved Subala. Attach a Killer or Fury rune and she'll be striking Critical Hits constantly. At least she did for me that's why I had her with me for a good portion of the game. She also has a unite with Lun which might be useful if you use both of them together. She also has the Pierce Skill but it doesn't activate as often as Lun's.

Mages/Long Range Fighters:

Norma: I actually liked Norma. I found her to be a decent support mage. She also has that Potchfinding skill is also quite useful. She isn't great so she definitely fits well with those considered mediocre.

Josephine: Comes in early in the game and has a decent magic stat. Her fire magic is good (probably the best fire mage IMO) but I found it kinda lame she was a short ranged fighter. I don't see the point in that. Put her up there and she'll attack for like 5 damage and then get slaughtered by the enemies. Anyway, she's easily replaced by the stronger magicians so I think you should give her a try.

Bernadette: Quite possibly the best healer in the game. That's all a really used her for although her attack isn't terrible. Dunno why I just wasn't very into the Isl. Nation Crew. Same goes for Nelis. She's too similar to Bernadette to warrant her own critique, although she was more interesting-looking that Bern.

Alhazred: I think I used him like two times and just didn't like him. Ugly and easily replaceable by someone better looking and more adept.

Sharmista: Was a lot like Saileeds which was very useful to me especially her unite with the Prince. Sharmista is more of a battle-mage I guess but even then she's doesn't do as great as say Lun. Never used her much but you might find her to be useful, especially with the unites she has with several other characters.

Viki- She's awesome but I find that she gets benched thanks to more powerful sorceresses, Jeane and Zerase. I used her a lot because her Chain Magic rocks and activated A LOT for me. Yeah, her Blinking Rune does inhibit her a bit but two open slots is good enough. I give her the Pale Gate rune and watch her instant-kill a whole group of enemies with the Lv. 1 spell, Open Gate. Oh you didn't die little monster, oh well let my Chain Magic finish you off.

Faylen: I really like her. Her weapon is awesome and although she only gets one attack her critical hit rate is above average. She doesn't do horrible with magic so I usually stick a Shield Rune on her just in case. Also comes in handy if you have a bunch of fighters and want to make them berserk. This would be a thousand times more useful if she was a bit faster though...

Urda: She's a good L-range fighter and her Barrage Skill is not bad. Don't know how much other people use her so she might not be "mediocre" per se. Either way, her speed is good and has potential to be a support mage as well.

Killey: You'd be surprised, Red. I've come across some people that really hate Killey. So much that they won't even give him a chance! I really like him so of course I gave him a go. Okay, so it looks like he attacks with shovels, but he criticals quite often. Does suck that he only gets one attack but when you strike that many "heavy damages" you only need one hit to take an enemy down! Has magic potential but he's too slow with spell casting, I think.

Sagiri: I find a lot of people never use her which is bizarre to me. She is quite possibly the best long range fighter in the whole game. Multiple hits, decent attack, very fast and dodges quite often too (when an enemy tries to go for her). Give her a Kite Rune... trust me. She'll attack each of the enemies at least 3 times each, sometimes getting a few criticals in there while she's at it. Definitely a must!! She shouldn't even be in this category of mediocrity, but I just had to stand up for her!

Melee fighters:

Goesch: Is definitely unappreciated. He can wear heavy armor which means he's could be a decent tank. He's also one of the only characters in the game that has the Mow Down skill and with that above average damage rate, he can really dish out some whoopass. His weapon is kinda lame, yeah, but I think he looks pretty cool. He's also a medium-range fighter so if you have another tank in mind, you don't have to put him up front to take all the hits.

Lelei: What are you foos talking about? That suit is what makes her so androgynous. And we all know androgyny is all the rave nowadays, right? RIGHT?! Hehe. Lelei is about a million time better than Cius (who used to write the short bus... err... the short boat). Cius can't even be mediocre... he's just plain bad. Lelei on the other hand, can hit and I'm pretty sure she can hit more than once too. She's not slow and also can use magic (dang, what's up with all these magic-fighters?). I'm not sure if she can take a lot of damage which might suck since she's a short range fighter.

Mathias: Often ignored because of Isabel (whose amazing btw.). Mathias also has the Mowdown skill which I grew to love and appreciate when I decided to give him a chance. He comes with the Cyclone rune but I find that he takes too long to cast a spell so I just have him attack and maybe heal once in a while. He's decent, if not above average.

Nick: I used him for a bit. Not too fond of playing as kids so I dropped him but I did notice he had decent attack and was quick on his feet. You might want to try him out.

Raven: Used him for a long time because I love ninjas. He looks kinda lame in his portrait but he did alright in battle. His rune wasn't as useful as I thought it would be... it only works in dudgeons not out on the field. Oh, and don't let him get hit with magic. He's toast against a strong spell (especially in the final battles).

Hazuki: Recruit her. She's amazing. Parries like crazy and can damage the enemy a lot. She's not slow either. Too bad she's a short range fighter because when she doesn't parry (or can't... like against the final boss) she gets beaten pretty badly. I had trouble keeping her alive against the last boss which made me sad.

Nikea: Might not be mediocre, but sometimes overshadowed. She's fast, with multiple hits and can critical dealing lots and lots of pain.

*sigh* I love characters that deal critical damage.

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay, thank you very much for the suggestions everyone. I have returned the PS2 to my dear friend, so I didn't get to really finish the New Game+, but I did manage to play through just right up to the last castle upgrade to know who finally got the statues.

But before we go to the statues result, I'd like to mention the characters that I did get to use.

Cornelio: He was okay, not as bad as I thought he would've been. Quite solid with magic too. I didn't really get to use him as long as I thought I would, but I mainly used him along with Josephine very much early in the game. Mediocre indeed.

Josephine: I have to say that I am actually quite disappointed with her. She wasn't strong physically but her unique rune was more physical than magical. It was disappointing that she didn't get to be developed gameplay-wise better. Solid magician though. But her being S-range made it quite difficult for me to stick with her when there are many who would be better being there.

Logg: Okay, fine, I admit it that I did get to use him quite a lot early on. He was definitely better than I remembered before, but still by no means all that great. And believe it or not, I actually got used to his portrait. It's magic.

Lun: Wow ... she is strong and she is quick. Definitely worth it to use her. Too bad I'm not too fond of "Pierce" skill. There wasn't enough battles that would see good use of "Pierce" when compared to "Mow Down" or "Throw"

Subala: She is very cool looking to me, and she is very much like a carbon-copy of Lun. The unite with Lun was strong one. Plus, she has the most fun mini-game in Suikoden V (and no, the Dragon Horse race is not fun for me since I can't master that even if my life depends on it lol).

Genoh: Yes, I used the big man himself. While he is friggin slow (what do you expect from a turtle, eh?), he definitely has TONS of HP especially if you skill up Stamina. Solid attack too. Just too bad I didn't get to use him all that much since the formation skill was bad and I got annoyed. I didn't know if he could have an open rune slot or not. If he can, then he might be more useful since we can see him stronger or something.

Faylen: Faylen is the character that I used both as a mage and then switched to melee. All I can say is that she's heck much better as melee than mage lol. Plus, she has one of the coolest weapon in the game.

Alhazred (a.k.a. short version of Heihachi Mishima from Tekken): Yep, he was my choice of "old character to level up to recruit Genoh". He wasn't bad at all to be honest for someone who attacks with a book. His physical attack was alright, his speed wasn't bad, and his magic was good. Definitely surprised me. I would've used him more if I could've.

Goesch: Now this guy is all business. He is not mediocre to me. He can survive because of his good HP, and he has crazy attack and he "Mow Down" like he's a lawnmower on crack or something. I put him up front as the tank, and give Strike Back Rune, and whenever he strikes back, he would Mow Down the enemies. Sometimes missing too often though for whatever reason.

Mathias: Hello mini-Goesch. He's not too different compared to Goesch other than using cooler weapon and wearing cooler armor though having weird looking portrait. Slightly weaker if I have to say, but better at magic than Goesch though that doesn't say much since he's not all that great anyways. Enjoyable while it lasted.

Shigure: He is good. That's for sure. No doubt that he is a good character, even though he's a bit fragile, he's not weak at all. Good overall character to use. But .. it's a pain to hear him saying what a pain again and again lol.

Sagiri: I got to say that I like her a lot. The smiling assassin. Can't stop smiling no matter what. There's just something that is interesting about her. She is strong, she is quick, and she multiple attacks quite often. Scary voice over though. And one thing that I didn't like is the unite with Shigure. It just looked ugly. Looked like she was exercising or something with her hands.

Hazuki: Oh she is cool cool cool cool. She does parry often and a worthy character to put upfront. I didn't really get to check if she had any unite or whatnot, but she was good. Quite useful unique rune too on top of that.

Island Nation Trio: Bernadette was definitely a solid Flowing Rune user, good accuracy too (I don't think I've ever seen her miss any of her attack) and overally a very useful support character. Yahr was the star for attack, good looking character (though ugly portrait), cool double-sword weapon, too bad ugly lacklustre looking unique rune attack (what happened to the cool Angry Dragon Rune attack animation from Suikoden II?). Nelis is a surprise. I built her as a mage, basically like Bernadette copy but more with offensive runes. Somehow she criticaled A LOT in my game for whatever reason. I use magic-type skills only on her too. Really weird, but surprisingly very good. And I like characters who wear capes too. Solid unite attack among the three as well.

Cathari: Well well .. what can I say ... I'm surprised. Surprised at how mediocre she was in my game. I attached Killed Rune and Double Edge Rune on her, and she barely ever critical attack for whatever reason. Disappointing, but I'm sure she would be better if I get to use her longer.

Overally, I'm quite satisfied with what I got to do with those characters. But one thing that I realized is that there aren't enough dungeons in Suikoden V to really give me the chance to use many different setup in 1 gameplay without limiting the characters into more like "1 party setup for 1 dungeon".

And now for the statue result:
Most Enemies Defeated: Lun
Most Damage: Subala
Most HP Healed: Bernadette Egan

Lun was the star of my team especially early on, so I wasn't surprised that she got the most kill. I was quite surprised that Subala got the most damage though because I thought I might not be able to take that away from Lun either because I used Lun for longer than Subala (hence, the more kill), but I guess Subala did critical a lot in my game (and maybe their unite counts toward Subala's damage?). Bernadette was the obvious winner for the healer since she was the only healer that I really had throughout the game.

I wish I could get to use more of Byakuren and Genoh to get them on the statues. it'd be super cool if the statues are Byakuren, Genoh, and Moroon. Oh yeah, about the beavers, I was planning to level them up for the final dungeon (I wanted to make a party of the beavers), but I didn't get that far ahead before I had to return the PS2. So yeah, maybe some other time.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Cathari: Well well .. what can I say ... I'm surprised. Surprised at how mediocre she was in my game. I attached Killed Rune and Double Edge Rune on her, and she barely ever critical attack for whatever reason. Disappointing, but I'm sure she would be better if I get to use her longer.

Want to see her dish out damage? She will have at least one open rune slot for you and I think she gains another. Throw a Crazed Rune in her first slot and let her go. She'll always attack first and be berserk. Her magic isn't good enough for her to need a spell casting rune so she's strictly combat. In my game, with the crazed rune, I was getting DBL Critical Hits at least once every encounter. Once her other spot opens give her something to help her damage or crit hit ratio or whatever. I find that she is best used as a sniper. Sit in the back row and hit the enemy at the begining of every turn. I can't see how people think she's bad or not good when, in my game, she was every bit as capable as others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I did attach Killer Rune on her along with Double Edge Rune. I used her to attack of course, but she just didn't critical often at all for whatever reason. If she is supposed to critical okay, then adding Killer Rune should make her critical very often, yet somehow she just didn't in my game. I upgrade her skills to SS too (can't really remember which, but the two that can go up to SS). So I don't know what went wrong.

Crazed Rune is just x2 damage and always-attack, no? I mean, does the "berserk" from Crazed Rune increase the chance for Double-Critical? Never really knew, but yeah, too late now lol. I put my Crazed Rune on Miakis for that particular part of the game.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: