Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

If you ran the educational system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: If you ran the educational system Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because the Educational section has few topics, I'll bless you with a new one.

The purpose of this topic isn't "If I ran the schools I'd serve Burger King everyday" this is more of a serious note, more like "I'd make sure the schools don't spend most spending money on only sports" or, prehaps fixing the "sex ed" in schools. We don't need people, when married at 23 beliving "virgins cannot get aids", yet some people belive and are taught this.

anway I hope this will go long and well. Please try first to explane your situation. Every Country, County, State and Township might be differnt.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
"virgins cannot get aids"

If they are virgin then they cannot get aids from sexual intercourse because they aren't having any sex, yes they can get Aids, but it wouldn't be anything to do with sex ed to teach them that. Though i do agree that across the board sex ed needs to be improved so that we don't get a group of people who think that you can't get pregnant the first time, also they need to learn the process and about condoms and the pill etc, it is really a parents job, but some don't teach this so it is better to have it as part of the education system.

Also i would like to see more people trained to actually do manual jobs, practical skills are on the decline in the modernised world simply because it is deemed beneath them or it is classed as "immigrant work", i would like to see children taught to realise that not everyone can work in an office and that the world needs skilled tradesmen and women.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What lacks over here on the schools is quite simple: Discipline. Pratically all of the students of a class are rude with their teachers who gets desmotivated because the payment sucks and the people is not pleasant. That makes them care little for their students, wich makes the education be not very good. What I would do? First of all I would give more money to the teachers, after all they are the foundation of the school. And next I would put some kind of ethical teachings to the students, but not on the teenagers that care nothing for this. I would put those classes to little kids and pass basical concepts that would make them feel interested on the subject so that it can be developed later on. Last but not least I would put an obligation on making martial arts class on every school (but of course with twice as focus on the philosofical teachings instead on the purely "hurt the others" that many so called masters teach on their gyms) to help on the part of concentration and discipline.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
lso i would like to see more people trained to actually do manual jobs, practical skills are on the decline in the modernised world simply because it is deemed beneath them or it is classed as "immigrant work", i would like to see children taught to realise that not everyone can work in an office and that the world needs skilled tradesmen and women.

yeh, well those are also for middle school drop outs. I don't drive so I had to work with my mom at her most recent job, a greenhouse. Primarly my job was to plant snapdragons. Mainly alone, in near silence. Its brainless boring, repitive work...poking holes in dirt all day is not fun. They had a college student work there once, she was learning about plants. She wound up sweeping and filling dirt in concrete beds. But yeh, that needs to be taught, not only that but life skills? Or, prehaps "common sence classes", you know being nice, how to keep animals alive (watch any Animal Cop show, some people are really stupid and don't know that the dog's food goes in the dish to feed the dog. They assume a dog will be auto fed, when kept in a box with food near the box). Or how about learning how to live? some special education kids are kept busy with vacuming the classroom insted of learning things, lucky a guy told me that was his experance. Mine just consisted of 'learning' with jerk boys who should and might as well be laboerors, if they would acctualy work.

Quote:
we don't get a group of people who think that you can't get pregnant the first time

that to, the problems are some areas seem to have a ban on sex ed. there are some websites that fill in on this, birds, bees and stds! their forums are horrble train wrecks of young teens not being able to locate bodyparts, wondering if they got some Infections after atending "parties" and just general pregnancy scares, with or without the situation being illegal on so many levels (or legal but stupid "we were drunk now I'm with child "oooppsss""

The problems with everything now is how differnt our world is. Years ago you grow up, do farm work learn your three Rs and then what? work on the farm? or if you were a girl you just learn how to cook, clean and make babys and take care of everyone. But now what? teaching preschoolers Spanish and possbly C++? first graders given long division? Some academics push away arts, and sports rule all things in schools.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The reason why Schools tend to focus on sports is because they get paid extra money from the government, also if the teams are good they can win quite a bit of prize money.

My old high school is now a school and sports collage, by becoming a sports collage they get £100,000 more a year than they would normally do and this figure rise with time a success, people use to be disciplined there for not doing sport and not showing an interest, stupidity at it's best.

the fact remains that as long as it is profitable schools will continue to focus on sports.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As requested I will at first say where I come from and what kind of school I visited...
I live in Germany and went to many schools, but all of them in rather small towns, that means not as huge as our capital :mrgreen:
I went to grammar school from seventh grade to tenth... tenth twice. Anyway, although Germany wasn't great at the PISA test, our school system isn't really bad. In fact, as one person above said what the school lacks of is discipline... I don't really think that teacher should be allowed to hurt pupils physically, but there should be some kind of effective punishment. "What? Is punishment supposed to be the solution for every problem?"
No, I don't think so, but I do believe that we need more discipline in order to teach children anything. After that we can start thinking about the way money is spend on useless stuff.

The Fool
LordMcDohl

Window-pecking Humming Birds

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am from Malaysia and I am currently studying in my third year of secondary school. My school places too much emphasis on straight 'A's.
In my country, in our third and fifth year of secondary school, the students take government exams. Last year, the number of straight 'A' students for the PMR examination(the one I have to take this year) dropped dramatically. Rumours say that it's because many students taking Chinese got a 'B' for it.
This year, the vice principal said this, "if you're not confident that you can get an 'A' in Chinese, don't take it".
How could she say something like that? Just because she wants more straight 'A' students, she can't tell us to drop a subject. After all, life isn't about scoring those precious 'A's.
Furthermore, there is a choral-speaking competition this year. The team has only a month to prepare for it. They requested time to practice during lessons but the principal refused to allow that. Now, the team only has around 30 minutes a day
(7 a.m. to 7. 30 a.m.) to practice. Even that is cut short by students turning up late and the morning assembly.
Without a doubt, if the team wins, the principal is going to praise the team and she will partly get recognition for the victory since she's the principal.
They shouldn't put so much emphasis on 'A's.
That's the school's problem. The education system here is not very effective as well.
We have a subject called Moral Education over here. One bad thing about this is that we actually have to MEMORISE moral values for our exams. When you write it out, and you get even one word wrong, you don't get the marks. Worse still, this subject is included in the fifth year government examination mentioned earlier.
Other than that, the English standards here are not very good. My class is supposedly a good class and my English teacher says only two people in the whole class can actually use grammar perfectly.
In the recent years, we started learning Science and Math in English instead of the national language. Many of the teachers are not able to teach well in English. Once, a teacher came in and she said the government should not have changed it to English. Her English wasn't really good so that was probably her reason for saying that. Personally, I think it's better now than never.
The education department should really try to improve the standards of English and do something about the Moral Education subject.
Well, there should be a lot more to list but I'll stop here.
Incidentally, this post is probably as long as some students' essays over here.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's rather sad to hear about Malaysia's education system. You're very right that people ought to be able to lean what they want, even if they may get worse grades in the process. In the real world, grades mean nothing after all--only actual knowledge and skill make the difference, and sometimes grades can be misleading.

"Moral Education" is always a funny thing. They have it in Japan, but the same subject largely doesn't exist at all in the USA (unless you're in a real conservative school). Typically the subject is a mockery to morality, because teaching "morality" is pretty hard. Most of the time, the better teachers can teach moral behavior through other subjects anyways.
LordMcDohl

Window-pecking Humming Birds

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We have Civics Education over here too. It's supposed to make us more patriotic.
Thankfully, it's way easier than Moral Ed and it's not included in any government exams.
My teacher decided to stop teaching since we don't have any more tests for it this year. See how redundant the subject is?
Quote:

In the real world, grades mean nothing after all--only actual knowledge and skill make the difference

Hmm, the higher-ups in my school don't even know how to lie or count properly.
There is this fund-raising programme going on now. Every student gets a card and we go around collecting money. In an attempt to persuade us to collect more money than the required RM 50 each, they told us they spent a total of RM 200,000 to air-condition the hall. According to them, the wiring cost a total RM 100,000, the air-conditioning units cost RM 5,000 each and cost a total of RM 100,000. I counted, there are less than 20 air-conditioning units.
At the beginning of the year, they told us someone contributed some of the air-conditioning units.
They fail at lying and counting, why would they care about real skill and knowledge???
Another thing, in my school, the Arts stream is generally regarded as being for hooligans, and that anyone who doesn't take the Science stream cannnot succeed.
A better way to teach us Moral Education is through the teachers.
In primary school, my class was considered as a very 'naughty' class. In Standard 4 we got a really nice form teacher. Over the course of 3 years, our class inproved tremendously.
The teachers should show a good example before expecting us to change.
Hmm, our Physical education isn't that good either. They make us do some warm-up exercises that are actually harmful. For one of it, we have to turn our necks this way and that...
What can I say, the education system here needs to undergo many changes.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If I was in charge of the educational program in my state, I would change how English courses are taught. English is required for every year of school in North Carolina. Right now, English is a combination of English grammar and spelling, literature and learning to write properly. Most of this is accomplished by Sophomore year of high school and the remaining two years are almost entirely in literature. What I propose, is to make English through the 10th grade required and have the remaining courses be electives. Teaching purely literature can be advantageous, but I do not see it being any more advantageous than learning art courses or film courses.

Instead of having the two more years of required literature, I think it would be beneficial to have a critical thinking course and a course in linguistics. I know a lot of people who are wonderful writers, but when it comes to critical analysis of writing or ideas, they can't do much at all. I also find that many writers don't know about origins of languages and how languages work. I find people often screaming about how something isn't a word because its not in the dictionary, when word are defined by general usage of understanding. I find that many denounce other's intelligence from this, saying things like "They just made up that word, it's not real," despite everyone understanding what the person was attempting to say- the purpose of language.

Essentially, I find the current English system creates many people who can tell you what Shakespeare did, the symbolism of his writing, his history and other things of dead writers from years ago, but not understand why a point made by one of these writers many not have logical coherence.

If the point of English courses is to be able to write intelligently, the current English courses are largely only working on the first part and I feel changing the course of study from focusing on literature to focusing on understanding analysis would help this immensely.
Karushifa

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Timbo wrote:
If the point of English courses is to be able to write intelligently, the current English courses are largely only working on the first part and I feel changing the course of study from focusing on literature to focusing on understanding analysis would help this immensely.

These are some great ideas. I particularly like the idea of linguistics courses in high school. Some first-year Latin courses delve into word origin and how different language groups developed, but then, you also had to learn Latin, which many people don't find to be terribly practical to learn.

I also agree that sex ed needs to be something that every student has access to, not just those in especially liberal school districts. While many argue that parents and not teachers should impart this information, there are MANY adults who don't even know about all the various STDs and methods of contraception. I think that as long as we are teaching kids about alcohol, drugs, etc. in health classes, then sex ed is also fair game - and, if anything like in my school, will end up scaring a fair number of kids into NOT having sex by describing the horrors of gonorrhea, herpes, et.al.

An informed teen who knows about the dangers and responsibilities of sexual activity is probably going to make better decisions about it in the long run than an uninformed one. If the parents don't like what their kids are being taught, then they are still free to teach them whatever values are important to them, just as they would to keep them away from drugs, drunk driving, and so forth. I don't think most school districts are trying to usurp responsibility from parents with regards to sex ed - if anything, the parents can only take themselves out of the picture by not giving their children the information they need to make a careful decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: