Suikoden Utopian and Infamous Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Accents in Suikoden
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fragola

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Accents in Suikoden Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've started replaying Suikoden 2 again to test out the whole Rina-is-superpowerful thing (thanks for posting that thread, SARSadmin!), and it just hit me how they always mention that the hero has a Highland accent, and then in Greenhill the villagers realized Fitcher was from Muse because of his accent.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if these accents were actually "visible" in the Japanese version of the game. I think it's often easier to "show" accents or dialects better in Japanese writing, but sometimes it's impossible to really translate them into English, so I wondered if they had been cut altogether.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, they aren't visible in the Japanese version either.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank goodness they're not written into the text in the English edition. I probably would have put the game away and walked away from the fandom. Writing out accents have always been one of my pet peeves - a little bit goes a long way, and none goes even farther.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vincent de Boule of pure aristocratic extraction deserves an accent! I like written accents for dialogue, it helps you get your mind around characters better. In movies you don't need to do it with subtitles and stuff, because the voices alone convey the accents, but for text I prefer if the accents are written.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
Vincent de Boule of pure aristocratic extraction deserves an accent! I like written accents for dialogue, it helps you get your mind around characters better. In movies you don't need to do it with subtitles and stuff, because the voices alone convey the accents, but for text I prefer if the accents are written.

I'm with Saben, it gives you more feeling of who the characters are, and thus the game would be even more awsome than it is. Little things count.
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Accents ala Chrono Cross? They're kind of interesting, in some ways they make the characters more interesting, but they get pretty old after awhile. And I can't imagine how easy it would be to put them in for over 108 characters in different scenes. They could barely put in english dialogue without spelling errors, accents would just throw our entire world into chaos.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wouldn't need to be dramatic accents and obviously a lot of characters would share accents, but like maybe the Harmonians should speak with a Russian accent or something :P It wouldn't need to be a dramatic thing, but just look at the lack of characterisation at some parts in Suikoden, I mean Luc is using all this modern US lingo and stuff and I'm just like 'uhhhh, right'...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Accents ala Chrono Cross?

That was pinnacle of accents. It's fun reading french mixed in with english. It's kind of a challenge if you don't really know the language. (Trying to learn....god damn schools)

Quote:

Harmonians should speak with a Russian accent or something

Oh yes, Oh God yes.

Sasarai: FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!!!!!!!!!! In the name of Hikusaak! Let us burn the Facist Grasslanders.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, we know that the narcissists have french accents, because I think at one time Vincent calls himself Vinsan or something like that.

I really wish we knew what the different accents sounded like because when I play the game I tend to 'speak' the lines in my head, and if I knew what the accents were, I would enjoy the game more.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, with S4's voice acting, we'll be able to hear the accents...

That'll make everyone happy won't it?
Swedish Ninja Pirate

7156 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont think they will give a thought to the accents when the choose acters.

Everyone will probaply have the same accent.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
I like written accents for dialogue, it helps you get your mind around characters better.

Which one of these is easier to read?

"Would you like some of the tea, mon ami? It's simply divine," Vincent said.

"Vould du like zome of zee tee, mon ami? It iiiz simply de-vine, " Vincent said.

The first example is a lot clearier, helps get your mind around the characters, and doesn't hurt your brain. The second one makes it insanely hard for non-native speakers to figure out what you're trying to get at (a rather bad, steretypical french accent, in this case) and you wind up having to say it out loud just to get it to make sense. There is a reason 99 out of a hundred novels do not have dialogue exchanges like this:

"Daaahhhliiiing, wheare doo yaaahhh paaaahk yaah cahr?"

"Eye Pahhhk mah caaah een Hahvahd Yahd."

That is simply atrocious to look at and mindnumbingly hard to read. I find it a much better practice to simply write in some colloquialisms if necessary. Writing out accents syllable for syllable is just horrid and there's no reason for it whatsoever. You can write how a character speaks without EVER giving a syllable for syllable translation of their dialect. I can tell that someone who says, "C'mon in, sugar; coffee's on the house." is likely from the southern side of the US, just like someone who says, "I slammed the anchors on and hit my head on the steering wheel." is almost undeniably British. Rendering an accent syllable by syllable simply reduces readability for no reward whatsoever.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:
It wouldn't need to be dramatic accents and obviously a lot of characters would share accents, but like maybe the Harmonians should speak with a Russian accent or something :P It wouldn't need to be a dramatic thing, but just look at the lack of characterisation at some parts in Suikoden, I mean Luc is using all this modern US lingo and stuff and I'm just like 'uhhhh, right'...

I see Harmonians having a British accent more than a Russian accent. This would kind of make sense sinse Harmonia is kind of like England back when it had an empire.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pyroflame wrote:
Quote:

Harmonians should speak with a Russian accent or something

Oh yes, Oh God yes.

Sasarai: FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!!!!!!!!!! In the name of Hikusaak! Let us burn the Facist Grasslanders.

In communist Harmonia, rune choose you!!
Wait...

(PS: we don't have to worry about voice actors having accents, as the horrid skill they will have simply speaking properly will be enough.) (and yes, I am very, very pessimistic about IV.)
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chrono Cross's idea of accents was kind of pathetic at some points. Like that mermaid who got an umlaut put over every vowel, which makes little to no sense.

Accents/dialects can be good if done properly, but the writer would have to be extremely familiar with said dialects. Generally most accent differences are not as blatant as attempts to put them in writing make them. Differences, if any, should be subtle and not shoved right in your face.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: