Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden VI for Wii?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, That would be best for me, as I really can't afford a PS3. I'd try and save up for one because I played PS2 more than any other console, but I'm going to try and get a Wii as quick as possible.

Plus the Wiimote might be the change for the better that all the fans have wanted. You could point at which enemy you want to attack, which could allow for truly custom placement in battle. You could choose what to do by motions. (Point and choose a position to attack and Slash movement while holding A to attack. You could point at empty space or at someone and choose magic by holding Z and moving left, right, or up to pick the rune, then make a 1,2,3, or 4 with the Wiimote to choose which spell to use).

There's plenty that an RPG could benefit from the Wiimote, and because Suikoden has never been the master seller that Konami's other franchises are a console that's easier to develop for would shrink production cost due to time spent. But on the other hand it's such a good idea in my mind that I doubt it'll happen.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Plus the Wiimote might be the change for the better that all the fans have wanted. You could point at which enemy you want to attack, which could allow for truly custom placement in battle. You could choose what to do by motions. (Point and choose a position to attack and Slash movement while holding A to attack. You could point at empty space or at someone and choose magic by holding Z and moving left, right, or up to pick the rune, then make a 1,2,3, or 4 with the Wiimote to choose which spell to use).

That would be needlessly difficult. You don't HAVE to use the wiimote, you know...

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the Wii's design--it's really ergonomically thought out, so that's a big thumbs up from me! And if there's going to be a Suikoden for it, then they've got my $ $ $ reserved!! Let it come!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I still don't think you'd want that to happen... remember what happened last time they did something different with Suikoden?

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
I still don't think you'd want that to happen... remember what happened last time they did something different with Suikoden?

What? Create a cult favorite game that not only saved the franchise but from then on had fans asking for them to got back to that same timeline?

Edit:

Suikoden never sells good overall. Change or sticking with the same old formula won't change that Yvl. Good marketing is what would change it.

Xelinis

2985 Potch
0 Soldiers
21837 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Username wrote:
Yvl wrote:

What? Create a cult favorite game that not only saved the franchise but from then on had fans asking for them to got back to that same timeline?

Edit:

Suikoden never sells good overall. Change or sticking with the same old formula won't change that Yvl. Good marketing is what would change it.

I believe he's refering to IV...

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Xelinis wrote:
Username wrote:
Yvl wrote:

Edit:

I believe he's refering to IV...

Why? Suikoden IV went back to the way the game used to play. There were no game play changes in Suikoden IV that differed greatly from II. The changes were mostly cosmetic like the ship, and ditching two character slots. The battle system in the games remained constant (III not withstanding). Also by not specifying which game he was talking about he could have been talking about III, IV, or both.

Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On the conturary, I think he is referring to5. 4 killed the franchise because it was underwhelming, but 5 showed the fans what Suikoden is capable of. I know that the 5 characters are a big hit with the fans back at Japan, even if they didn't sell that well at first.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

and ditching two character slots.

And thus removing the entire battle system that made Suikoden so lovable.

I liked the game, but that part really irked me. Haven't played V yet.

Quote:
On the conturary, I think he is referring to5

Jeez, you people really ARE quick to speculate...

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rainrir wrote:
On the conturary, I think he is referring to5. 4 killed the franchise because it was underwhelming, but 5 showed the fans what Suikoden is capable of. I know that the 5 characters are a big hit with the fans back at Japan, even if they didn't sell that well at first.

Ehh... Suikoden IV was a very big factor in keeping the series alive. Even though some didn't like it, it scored a good score in Famitsu (32/40 or something, about the same as Suikoden V), sold better than Suikoden V and gave birth to a spinoff (Suikoden Tactics / Rhapsodia), and was also heavily referenced in Suikoden V. Some people liked Suikoden IV's innovative take and trying new things better than the Suikoden II rehash philosophy of Suikoden V.

What I'm confused about is that at one time, I think Junko Kawano was quoted as saying they're experimenting on the next Suikoden already. Does that mean that Kawano is making the game together with Sakiyama, or are there actually two Suikoden games in development at this time as well?
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Ehh... Suikoden IV was a very big factor in keeping the series alive. Even though some didn't like it, it scored a good score in Famitsu (32/40 or something, about the same as Suikoden V), sold better than Suikoden V and gave birth to a spinoff (Suikoden Tactics / Rhapsodia), and was also heavily referenced in Suikoden V.

I believe that Tactics/Rhapsodia is originally intended by Konami. They need something to replace Vandal Hearts, which died in the PS1 era. Tactics was a proto-game designed to test the market, which might not be marketable if it isn't attached to a more-or-less known name. In any case, having a spinoff doesn't mean that game had merit.

IMO, while Famitsu is still a brutal reviewer, they standards are dropping and sometimes "open" to big-name company(NOTE: COMPANY NOT GAME) pressure to "botox" the scores. EVEN THEN, I remember S5 beating S4 by about 2-3 points. That is alot when it comes to Famitsu scoring. Given IF both games are pressured to their scores, S5 is still better a game.

Again, being heavily referenced doesn't mean anything. Every Suikoden game references to each other.

On the other hand, Suikoden 4 does have its merits, but ultimately its mediocrity spoiled the market for S5. That was why S5 sold worse then S4. I think fan perception of the next game in the series depends on the one preceding it. So if S4 sold well, that was because S3 was considered a good game.

Quote:
What I'm confused about is that at one time, I think Junko Kawano was quoted as saying they're experimenting on the next Suikoden already. Does that mean that Kawano is making the game together with Sakiyama, or are there actually two Suikoden games in development at this time as well?

Maybe, since 5 and 4 started out as seperate, simultaneous projects in my memory. But it could also mean that the Kawano/Sakiyama groups are all testing out the basic GRAPHICS coding/build that will power the future Suikoden games.
Username

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Quote:

and ditching two character slots.

And thus removing the entire battle system that made Suikoden so lovable.

I liked the game, but that part really irked me. Haven't played V yet.

The battle system would have been the same with or without six character slots. The only thing removed were rows which isn't "removing the entire battle system that made Suikoden so lovable" It's jus removing your favorite part of it.

Quote:

I believe that Tactics/Rhapsodia is originally intended by Konami. They need something to replace Vandal Hearts, which died in the PS1 era. Tactics was a proto-game designed to test the market, which might not be marketable if it isn't attached to a more-or-less known name. In any case, having a spinoff doesn't mean that game had merit.

Yes, Rhapsodia and Suikoden IV were planned together, but the rest of this is speculation that can't be backed up in any way. No proof it was made as a Vandal Hearts replacement, and you have nothing to say that Tactics was a "test."

Quote:

IMO, while Famitsu is still a brutal reviewer, they standards are dropping and sometimes "open" to big-name company (NOTE: COMPANY NOT GAME) pressure to "botox" the scores. EVEN THEN, I remember S5 beating S4 by about 2-3 points. That is a lot when it comes to Famitsu scoring. Given IF both games are pressured to their scores, S5 is still better a game.

Now that's nothing but your opinion, you cannot back up one claim that says they increased the score for IV because of Konami. The last sentence is also nothing but your opinion based on something you cannot prove happened to either game.

Quote:

On the other hand, Suikoden 4 does have its merits, but ultimately its mediocrity spoiled the market for S5. That was why S5 sold worse then S4. I think fan perception of the next game in the series depends on the one preceding it. So if S4 sold well, that was because S3 was considered a good game.

I'll give you points for using the word "think" because that is completely unfounded, Fan perception isn't the only factor in selling games. Marketing and amount of games actually made are two other factors as well. I can't find a source that says Suikoden V wasn't marketed enough, or not as many were made, but your opinions on why Suikoden IV or V sold are just opinions that are impossible to verify.

Quote:

Maybe, since 5 and 4 started out as separate, simultaneous projects in my memory. But it could also mean that the Kawano/Sakiyama groups are all testing out the basic GRAPHICS coding/build that will power the future Suikoden games.

Both very possible, I'd be happy with whatever outcome that leads to Suikoden VI.

Now, I'd like to re address the Wii and Suikoden. Adding in Wii functionality wouldn't hurt the game play aspects that Yvl cares about (6 characters, and the other basic traditions in the game) it'd actually give the chance to reinvent a lot of the old things that need an upgrade like the menu system, dueling, mini games, and all the while keeping the Suikoden fell (Which has more to do with atmosphere and story telling than the game play based on my opinion). Think about it this way, would it really be any more difficult to move the controller (being told where to move it when you need to) than playing an RPG for the first time?

It's most a matter of opinion, but wouldn't you love to raise the remote and have the hero raise his hand out to show his rune? If not then ok, I mean your opinion and mine are both meaningless the only opinions that matter right now are within Konami's devolvement team that is making the game and they're higher ups.

But as I said before while I love the idea of the series going Wii, and think that embracing the concept of the console with a leveled head is the way to go. I just don't see them doing this. I've been surprised before though.

Blazing Camp

Rage

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Was'nt there someone from Konami tha said that they were looking at the graphical capabilites of the PS3 in regards to the Suikoden series? I forgot who it was that said that.

I do think that the Wii is possible for the sereis to go to, but at the same time I'm so used to Suikoden being on the playstation consoles that it would be weird to adapt to the new controls.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Username wrote:

Quote:

Yes, Rhapsodia and Suikoden IV were planned together, but the rest of this is speculation that can't be backed up in any way. No proof it was made as a Vandal Hearts replacement, and you have nothing to say that Tactics was a "test."

Its true I have no real proof for my speculation. Its really all a case of inductive reasoning. Still, you cannot discount the fact that Tactics/Rhapsodia COULD be a Vandal Hearts replacement. We all know that Vandal Hearts is more-or-less dead, and we ALSO know that SRPG is a big thing in the Japanese market AND its growing in the NA/EU markets. We also KNOW that Konami will try to make a profit from entering a genre that it has been absent from in one generation. It makes some sense if Tactics was intended to try and establish a beachhead in the SRPG market.

I know the burden of proof is on me, but will you accept the proof if I told you an Konami insider told me this at a bar? :P Everything is deduced (which is prone to logical fallacies), I never claimed it was the truth. I think it was just a POSSIBLE way things have gone.

Username wrote:

Quote:

IMO, while Famitsu is still a brutal reviewer, they standards are dropping and sometimes "open" to big-name company (NOTE: COMPANY NOT GAME) pressure to "botox" the scores. EVEN THEN, I remember S5 beating S4 by about 2-3 points. That is a lot when it comes to Famitsu scoring. Given IF both games are pressured to their scores, S5 is still better a game.

Now that's nothing but your opinion, you cannot back up one claim that says they increased the score for IV because of Konami. The last sentence is also nothing but your opinion based on something you cannot prove happened to either game.

Famitsu allergely did so for FF7:DoC but that's never proven. The point I am trying to make was that no matter they doctored the score or not, S5 scored better then S4. Thus, in the reviewer's eyes S5 is a better game then S4, regardless of score altering.
Username wrote:

Quote:

I'll give you points for using the word "think" because that is completely unfounded, Fan perception isn't the only factor in selling games. Marketing and amount of games actually made are two other factors as well. I can't find a source that says Suikoden V wasn't marketed enough, or not as many were made, but your opinions on why Suikoden IV or V sold are just opinions that are impossible to verify.

I don't need your points :P

Hahaha in any case, that is the reason why I say I "think" because there isn't a concrete proof to it. Just like there isn't a concrete proof to anything regarding economics and success of products. I have no sources to say if they are marketed at the same level. I merely induced that (not completely logically sound I'll admit) they might receive the same amount of marketing. This is from my observation that both have relatively the same amount of feature pages onm Degenki, Famitsu and some J-mags I have read.

Of course I have no way to tell how much TV advertisement each had, but I know that both have ads on TV.

Given that I know nothing concrete about their level or marketing, I can only deduce from what I know when I worked at a game retailer. I observed that people tend not to buy sequels to games that dissapointed them, especially if the series is not a BIG NAME series like FF or such.
Username wrote:

Quote:

Maybe, since 5 and 4 started out as separate, simultaneous projects in my memory. But it could also mean that the Kawano/Sakiyama groups are all testing out the basic GRAPHICS coding/build that will power the future Suikoden games.

Both very possible, I'd be happy with whatever outcome that leads to Suikoden VI. [/quote[

SIGNED!!!!
Username wrote:

Now, I'd like to re address the Wii and Suikoden. Adding in Wii functionality wouldn't hurt the game play aspects that Yvl cares about (6 characters, and the other basic traditions in the game) it'd actually give the chance to reinvent a lot of the old things that need an upgrade like the menu system, dueling, mini games, and all the while keeping the Suikoden fell (Which has more to do with atmosphere and story telling than the game play based on my opinion). Think about it this way, would it really be any more difficult to move the controller (being told where to move it when you need to) than playing an RPG for the first time?

It's most a matter of opinion, but wouldn't you love to raise the remote and have the hero raise his hand out to show his rune? If not then ok, I mean your opinion and mine are both meaningless the only opinions that matter right now are within Konami's devolvement team that is making the game and they're higher ups.

But as I said before while I love the idea of the series going Wii, and think that embracing the concept of the console with a leveled head is the way to go. I just don't see them doing this. I've been surprised before though.

Welll, you can't stop others from being overly excited with stuff like that. Especially when ALL of us here are fanatical enough to post in a Suiko-only forum..lol.

Still, if everyone goes about stuff too logically and impassionately, the forum will be pretty dead...no? :P We need some opinions for debate and discussions. We also need some somewhat logically false deduction/speculation/guess to keep things interesting.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
If it goes t othe PS3, I'l be happy
If it goes to the Wii, I'll be dissappointed.
If it goes to the 360, I'll abandon the series.

agreed.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: