Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Coping with a Suikoden Addiction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templeton

186895 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Coping with a Suikoden Addiction Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm creating this thread so that people with past or present addictions to this great and detailed series can interact and tell stories about their perhaps over obsession with the game.

My story is that I got highly involved with suikoden 2 when my friend bought it, at first I didn't understand that the game was meant to go on. Later that year however, I got ahold of suikoden 1 and after seeing it I became obsessed with the vast detail of the game. For the next year and a half I was crazed to the point of not even caring about the real world and my marks in school slipped dramatically.

After 2 years of jail and a year and a half of councling I'm now a 22 year old 7 year vet of the game who is focusing on my real life along with suikoden. I hope to graduate and then go on to college next year.

My hope is that others will be able to stay in touch with the real world as well as the beloved suikoden world with one not consuming the other

Thank You
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole jail issue had nothing to do with Suikoden, right? I was just wondering how far your addiction drove you; If it's not related then forget I even asked.

I luckily have never become addicted to any videogame in general, but I must admit that whenever a new copy of Suikoden comes out I push other things away for a bit. For Suikoden 3 for instance, I gamed for about 6 hours in a row, which is quite a lot for me (but a walk in the park to other members of this community hehe)
The craziest thing I've done was buying a cool shirt because it had a "108" written on one sleeve.

I'm curious about this "staying in touch" with the real world issue you speak off, could you elaborate?
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Addicted to a game? Wow that is insane. I love plenty of games, mind you, but I don't think that a game (or for that matter a movie, book or TV show) can be addictive. They can enchant and maybe hypnotize you, but unless you go into withdrawl when you don't play it (usually marked by night sweating, the shakes and insomnia), I don't think any media can be addictive.

When I first got Suikoden III, I did about 14 of 24 hours a day for probably three days in a row, which was scary. Sometimes you have to put it down because your head hurts or you get frustrated, but this was during the Christmas Break of senior year. I cut myself off, but I wasn't going out. I hate everything about snow, nothing more than having to drive in it. I haven't played the game in probably 3 years now, and it's not really on my register. It was a sweet game, and just that to me.

Maybe in the future things will be broadcast on some next level that hits our brain in such a way that makes games create a different mental state. It'd eliminate the need for drugs, but it'd also be dangerous in the wrong hands.

I have no idea what to do with this thread. I would think it's okay in this forum...

And they said?
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Weird, VC. I got Suikoden III for Christmas and I played about 14 hours a day every day too. Now I get an urge to play it every time there is snow outside, which is hardly ever where I live, but still.

My advice for you, Templeton, is to ease your way out of the Suikoden world. Drop 10, 20, or 30 minutes a day until you don't feel the need to play it every day. Or perhaps stop entirely if this game series is really having an affect on you. Good luck.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only story that I have relating to this subject is that when I had a friend lend me Suikoden two, I had only a week to beat it. That was the first Suikoden I've ever played and I probably averaged 2 hours of sleep that week. It was during the summer so most of my time was spent in front of the tv.

As in non-suikoden games, I played Final Fantasy 7 once for 72 hours straight on a bet. Actually won 50 bucks too.

(Also during the summer, 16 and living with my parents)

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I picked up Suikoden 5 this year, I played for at least 9 hours a day.

How I coped with it? Well, I finished the game. And finished it again. After that, I kinda got bored, and so the addiction wears off. :D

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I cant say i have ever had an addiction to Suikoden.....or any other game for that matter!

My time for playing RPG's is scarce so when i get the chance i squeese in a few hours here and there and that usually results in me taking over a month to complete a game due to lack of time! So i only play through once and move on to the next game in my to-play-list.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, that pretty dramatic. I never thought that playing games can lead to jail, though I do hear of cases of serious addictions.

Still, addiction to games is still primarily a phenomenon that happens to players of online games. In those games, where the time for certain events are not fixed and advancement in the game is market SOLELY by time spent on the game itself.

For example, going on a RAID on WOW or tackling on of the World Bosses in FF11 might require coordination of several players which MIGHT be in different time zones. This cause a vacuum in waiting time, which the player grinds away by playing in "other areas" until everyone arrives. I call it "endless waiting"
Also, the player might keep playing to eventually obtain an item/skill/whatever he/she desires. To achieve that end, he/she will be playing up to hours at a time to get what he wants. Furthermore, in an online world....powerful items are eternally being created...resulting in an "endless chase".
Sometimes, the ranking system is so severe that even 1 day of inactivity will cause the player to fall thru the ranks. That is pretty much the system of the "PVP Ranking" in WOW and GW. That can be another reason, "endless achievement"

There are cases where young people actually play themselves to death or exhaustion, its kinda frequent in cyberised asian countries like Korea, Japan and Singapore.

Still, being THAT addicted to a offline game is rare, as it lacks many of the "endless" aspects of online games. It would be interesting to know how you spent your time with Suikoden, such that it actually affects your functioning in real life. Did you write alot of fanfics, create fanart or generally do something that takes up alot of your time out of your INTEREST of the game?
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I once wondered if I was addicted to video games, because they occupied so much of my time and I decided to test myself. What I ended up doing was denying myself the ability to play games for a month. I ended up donig it, but it was a very boring time for me, as I relaized that I wasn't sure what to do with my time otherwise, which I saw in itself as a problem (although, the circumstance ofthe time should be considered, as I was only 17 at the time, living in my paretn's house high up on a mountan, had no car, no job and it was a long drive to pick me up for anything, making friends hesistant to do so).

For me, it wasn't that video games were necesarialy bad, it was that the time I used playng them could ahve been sued for other things, thigns whch I had little knowlege of how to get because of lack of experience, since all my time was playing games.

Quote:
They can enchant and maybe hypnotize you, but unless you go into withdrawl when you don't play it (usually marked by night sweating, the shakes and insomnia), I don't think any media can be addictive.

Not all forms of addiction are physical. Consider gambling addiciton for example.
Templeton

186895 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here's my all mighty response

For all those wondering, during my time on the suikoden forums I stated that I was going to kill a fellow classmate based off the fact that he clearly made a statement that he would fly to south east asia to have sex with 12 and unders in the future. This lead to a 2 year attempt murder charge. Now, however, I couldn't care less.

As for the suikoden thing, it's quite clear that suikoden is an on going game that features well introduced characters and puts up effort to implement detail into the it's world.

For all I know I may even make video gaming and anime into an online republic (F the real world) "That sounds crazy yet fun".
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... someone beat you to it Templeton, they are called forums :) Just kidding mate, I'm glad Suikoden didn't push you that far (regarding the whole attempt murder charge and all).

To be honest I don't really care if you play 23 hours a day as long as you don't whine about it later; It's your choice to play the game. As long as you take responsibility for the results of playing that much I doubt there is something I can lecture you about.

I just hate it when people make statements regarding how "unlucky" they are; solely because they didn't take a second to consider the results of their choices. It's pretty obvious you are going to get fired at work if you play Tetris instead of doing your job.

[/quote]
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unless your job is to play tetris. That would be awesome...

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've dedicated my time to finding true runes, assuming I'm Yuber's daughter and causing war and chaos on the internet land, and thinking of reporting my ex best friend to the poilce because he belives we're to due battle in a magic war, and he is to be followed by "many friends" (aka I assume he thinks he is a Tenkai star)

so yesh Im addicted to the game in means of applying it to seemingly non realted stuff. seeing how this thread isn't to "serious", I'm going to put some funny hahas in it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yohn

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not exactly addicted to Suikoden, as I don't go through withdrawals when I haven't played it for a while. There are some triggers that make me think of it every now and then, though.

I'm the same way with Star Ocean II, though. Something will happen and I'll spontaneously find myself starting a new game if I've got the free time. They're enjoyable, and it's like cracking open a favourite book.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EienSnow

15405 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont really got into addiction of Skd that much, but I just want to know the story fast, if u say thats the addiction, perhaps. ^^
When I started with Skd 1, which was few yrs back, like.... 7 or 8 yrs ago, I skipped everything and played it constantly for 3 days, with less than 4 hours of sleep... scary eh?
As for Skd 2, I didnt really stop anything but just rushed home from school and tried to finish it asap.
For Skd 3 and 4, they happened to release when I was having holidays, so I just rushed thru them each for 4 days, with only 4 hours of sleeping...
That is a bad habit, not really addiction, if u ask me. I just want to know the story fast.

Deeper than the sea, higher than the sky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: