Suikoden United and Irenic Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How ABOUT Konami finally throws Suikoden a budget!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Traitor-McDohl

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: How ABOUT Konami finally throws Suikoden a budget! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden has got to be the most under funded series ever (especially since it's already earned its stripes). Does anyone think Konami should siphon a million or two away from Metal Gear Solid 4 to give Suikoden 6 a fighting chance to succeed?
We RPGers have been the backbone of the industry for twenty years! Give us our fucking day in the sun PLEASE!
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i dunno it depend on the Gamers..

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: How 'bout Konami finally throws Suikoden a budget! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The-Traitor-McDohl wrote:
Suikoden has got to be the most under funded series ever (especially since it's already earned its stripes). Does anyone think Konami should siphon a million or two away from Metal Gear Solid 4 to give Suikoden 6 a fighting chance to succeed?
We RPGers have been the backbone of the industry for twenty years! Give us our yee-haw! day in the sun PLEASE!

Sorry TTM, but according to the populsr cliche, sun is bad for our skin since we all have no lives.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, taking those extra few million away from Metal Gear Solid 4's development will make a different group of geeks angry. Suikoden is like that underground band that only the cool people like while the rest of the general gaming population drools over the latest Square-Enix produced, CGI-fest that is the next Final Fantasy game.

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't want MGS 4 to lose money, I love that series. If it would lose money, then I have a feeling that the game would, well, detoriate. And no, I don't want that.

Something they could do to have more budget available for Suikoden, would be to look for a fundraising event. It might not be much, but at least there'll be more money available to our fave game.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

arch_wooohh wrote:

Something they could do to have more budget available for Suikoden, would be to look for a fundraising event. It might not be much, but at least there'll be more money available to our fave game.

Good luck getting Konami to do that. Not that they wouldn't want to. It's more of are gamers actually going to donate money to have a game have a bigger development budget. Most gamers complain enough about the price of games being raised to pre-PSX levels. Most gamers would rather their games came free than have to pay for them.

Shi Shi

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly though, I love Metal Gear too, but MGS4 is a fifty million (plus) dollar enterprise. A million or two away wouldn't change the core content, but a million or two extra to a Suikoden would mean things like no obscenely long load times and fully realized character renderings and maps.
Granted, the series has got all our attention, but how long can a handful of American gamers and fifty thousand Japanese gamers keep the series afloat?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Konami is one of the few companies that has actually allowed contributions to game development. I recall that some of the Tokimeki Memorial games were possible only through user cash contributions. I've never heard of such things for Suikoden though, other than the "Suikoden Certificate of Deposite" which cost about $10k per share.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The-Traitor-McDohl wrote:
A million or two away wouldn't change the core content, but a million or two extra to a Suikoden would mean things like no obscenely long load times and fully realized character renderings and maps

what a big fat pile of bull shit..

You don't need millions to make that..you only need skilled programmers that have enough experience in ps2 game development and it's hardware.. Maybe its surprising to some people..but there are limits to the ps2 hardware.. and maybe limits to the knowledge of the coders @ konami..

Anyway.. there is the problem that suikoden had never been the most advertised game.. Back in 1998 when Suikoden 2 came out, many gamers didn't even know Suikoden 1..
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well. I could also be the slight problem of being intimidated by the sheer amount of backstory, culture and such stuff that comes with the Suikoden name. Not many people will invest in a series at its middle, unless its the Second Coming of The Messiah (like FF7).

Still, its nothing that cannot be solved without good advertising. I think the US Suikoden advertising should play on its advantage and appeal to the ANIME-WTCHING OTAKU-CROWD...which is a growing demograph in the States and across the world.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rainrir wrote:
Still, its nothing that cannot be solved without good advertising. I think the US Suikoden advertising should play on its advantage and appeal to the ANIME-WTCHING OTAKU-CROWD...which is a growing demograph in the States and across the world.

... I might stop playing Suikoden if that happened. Yeowch.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vector Xthonic wrote:
Konami is one of the few companies that has actually allowed contributions to game development. I recall that some of the Tokimeki Memorial games were possible only through user cash contributions. I've never heard of such things for Suikoden though, other than the "Suikoden Certificate of Deposite" which cost about $10k per share.

As Kyle would say: Really?!

I'm always up to spending abit of cash on non-essential and, ultimately, frivolous things. I'm wondering if it's just a piece of paper the donator gets from Konami or do they get something abit more.

All this talk of game budgets at Konami and such got me thinking. How much did the last Suikoden title cost to make? I'm sure the Final Fantasy games from Square-Enix have been getting pretty sizable budgets, but does Suikoden actually get a decent-sized budget or just enough to get the game done with no extra added on for cost overruns.

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am saying that Suikoden-style has alway slanted towards the traditional J-RPG where story and character development matter. They should target the otakus who are probably gonna be attracted to the series' anime style and its focus on back story, plot and chracters

Remember, within that demograph are people who make extensive fansites (from "pop" anime like Bleach to even for eroge like Tsuikihime, Fate/stay Night, Kanon etc.) with large amount of carefully researched and reviewed backstory, character analysis and histroy.
To those people, having an extensive world and enduring characters > graphics and such. I am suggesting the maketing to try to appeal to those people.

I believe that demograph will fit into the Suikoden fanbase like a glove! Seriously.
Sparhawk

Lords of Foolishness

207476 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know. There are plenty of games that haven't made as mush money as Suikoden that can have money relocated.

Also, how about bringing in more staff for the game? Some of the staff from MSG4 could help liven up the creative process. Lets face it: this series can get pretty damn stagnant if they keep going the way they are.

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used the be of the same opinion: sukoden's problem = small budget.

But playing Suiko V - I realized it's quite irrelevant.

On a technical level, you could say Suiko 4 gets a lot of thing "better": progressive scan mode, high resolution backgrounds, fully 3D environments with self-controlled camera and even first person view... and the loading times were not as many.

I guess the budget for both games was pretty much the same - yet Suiko 5 team was wiser to use it, focusing on the key aspects of the series (imho, of course).

Its' documented that Suiko 3 suffered because of MGS2 production, but I don't think that situation will repeat. In the end, it's better to have people which make a proficient use of the little money they have than to ask for a bigger budget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: