Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Final Fantasy 7 Remake?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should this original Final Fantasy 7 Remake?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 29 ]
no
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Not interested
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 45

Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

See I don't understand why everyone thinks 7 was so great. The magic system was horrible the story was meh at best and confusing at times. You really didn't care about the main character. The only cool thing was at the time time the graphics made people go WOW. 6 has better game play, and I think 4 has the best story line. Final Fantasy only gets worse from there. Squall for example. Could he care at all?? No he was just angsty and annoying. The only reason I played was the card game. 9 I liked cause they tried to get back to their roots. 10 I HATED that stupid water polo game. So instead of flogging a dead horse and re-making 7 why not actually put out a good game??
Kain

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What u sayin is correct. but i disagree with you. you see, more than 70% of Final Fantasy Fan say that FF7 it the greatest Final Fantasy. you say 6 has batter game play. 7 batter in graphic. but i agree with you say that 4 has a batter storyline. 7 kinda cnfusing but since i watch FF7 movie Advance child anp ff7 anime last order, Game Dirge of Cereberus and FF7 : before crisis and novel about aerith i realize that ff7 is have a quality storyline.

i think it up to individual to think what FF they like.. for me, i think FF7 is the best FF ever and should be remade

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I play games for the story, not for ZOMG awesome graphics, and having FFVII remade with better graphics is completely pointless from my point of view. Honestly with games getting more and more realistic graphics I find myself wanting to watch anime over playing games. I do these things because they don't remind me of realism and my boring life, and the better the graphics get the more I feel like I'm watching real life which is what I don't want. Sure most people would say FFVII's graphics are bad, but really I don't care, I like them more cartoonish, I like sprites they make these things feel like they're loved and such instead of just trying to force realistic graphics down our throats.

FFVII is when I started hating FF anyways, IV and VI will always have a special place in my heart, they focused on an interesting story before graphics which is where FFVII started to diverge. All FF's have been save the world plots, but unlike the previous ones there's no random grey lines thrown in, you're the good guy and everyone you fight is the bad guy simple as that. IV and VI meanwhile had much deeper plots, unlike in VII who you find out who the real bad guy is nearly 10 hours in, IV doesn't bring out the big bad guy until near the very end, and VI has you guessing who it would be for half the game.

FFVII's battle system was too UGH for me, everyone was the same except for Limit Breaks and weapons, the earlier FF's had a much more clearcut role for each character but without bogging them down too badly. I know some people like the "unlimited options" stuff but being non-linear can be so drasticlly boring sometimes. What's the point when everyone can be a super melee and magic damager?
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

k4in wrote:
What u sayin is correct. but i disagree with you. you see, more than 70% of Final Fantasy Fan say that FF7 it the greatest Final Fantasy.

Hypothetical, I have a miracle cream, i flog that miracle cream on every media medium for as long as i can and make the packeging so cute and its affordable, the cream does sweet nada so i embellish, next to a generic cream which claims the same thing which would you buy? More then likely youd choose the miracle cream since the packeging is far superior so it instills confidence and trust in the product rather then just putting the bare minimum on it despite it being utterly useless. Most people when ranting over how great FF7 is treat it like miracle cream, it cant suck no matter what argument is made against it.

That being said, biggest mistake ever was making FF7 the tech demo as far as my opinion goes, with all the flogging of the dead horse revolving around that game giving fuel for rabid fanboys to scream remake wasnt wise, and you would have to pay me to even pick it up to look at it.

Parallax wrote:

This is, in a nutshell, the problem. Hasn't it been the problem for a long time? I know that some people here on this board are big fans of Final Fantasy IX, X, and even X-2. I don't condemn you for that. However, I hated those games, particularly IX, with a burning passion. They're embarrassingly short, they lack characters or plots that I care about, and there's virtually no depth to them beyond beautiful cutscenes.

When you actually look at the base storyline V, X & X-2 are really the only ones which break from the trend of 'Sword wielding hero from Nation A investigates Nation B regarding hostilities and finds sinister force at work, said hero sets about deestablishment of said regime' found in FF1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (Freedom goons v Pandemonium empire, whatever that nation was in 2 v those dark knight goombas, Baron v rest of world, Figaro v Kefka and magitek kingdom, SHINRA v hippies, Galbadia v Balamb (or Sorcresses v SeeD) and Alexandria v world) V is more the heroic epic and X and X-2 are more the religious subtexts with a higher emotional feel to it. Granted that in each there are different subplots but the focus is more on the grander theme then the minor themes, which is what i think the problems are.

Id dare say that with the addition of voices that so many people hated (case in point the fake laugh scene at Luca and 'tidus is a whiney idiot i hatezorz him') X had the most diverse and interesting storyline and character development in the FF series, as it was actually believable. Now personally i cared when people died in X, or when they were confused and scared, i didnt care in any of the other FF's because it was the same 'Im off on a neverending quest to right the wrongs, protect the innocent and then realise ive been scammed and my girlfriend isnt actually kidnapped she's just lacking committment' storylines.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought the original was a decent game at best, and would probably rank it worst of the PS Final Fantasies.

Squaresoft does this tech demo every time a major graphics switch comes out. They did was with FFVI on the N64, and now they do one with their current marketing whipping boy. The original would still be playable on the PS3 and Squaresoft doesn't have a history of doing serious graphic rehauls on remakes. Even if it was a complete overhaul, I wouldn't buy a remake, not to play the same mediocre story (which Square is trying to add more quantity to, since it lacks quality, in all the spinoffs) and play as the same stereotypical characters that I couldn't force myself to care about. Not to play the same textbook, boring battle system where every character was the same sans limits and attack animations. Not for the same boring sidequests and horrid 1-quest character development that they tried to pass off as depth.

Squaresoft made genuinely good games for the PS, I don't think this game was one of them. This just happened to be the most milkable of the games.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like IX, myself. I think VII and (gasp) VI get far too much credit than they deserve.

VII had its strong points and some weak points. None glaring really, besides becoming the staple RPG and popularizing the Sephiroth arch-type. But that's like blaming Tolkien for creating whiny annoying elves. Other fantasy writers did that. Really, whenever I try to criticize the game I never see any glaring faults. Take the hype away and its an average game.

VI was near flawless, save for of course, the World of Ruin. It's like a tacked on sequel so devoid of fun that slamming your finger into a door for about thirty minutes would more or less equal to the same sort of torture World of Ruin inflicts on you. It's not pleasant folks, and it doesn't get better. If the game had ended on the floating continent, it would have been a perfect (if not short) game. We can dream though.

Throw in IX for what I would say about it. It has its good points and flaws and I tend to just be more fond of it than the other two above. Personal preference, 'sall.

I've played the entire series from 4 on (and got maddeningly bored with the original 3) and only those three I mentioned up there merited completion. IV didn't know where to quit and just kept going ooon. Five was decent, but I never saw the plot go anywhere to make me come back. VIII was the magic happy fairy land of convenient plot devices. And well... I never played anything past IX.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Masa wrote:
It's not pleasant folks, and it doesn't get better. If the game had ended on the floating continent, it would have been a perfect (if not short) game.

I have to disagree with you here. While I'll agree that the World of Ruin got to be a bit excessive if you did all of the optional quests and story arcs, I felt that it added some completion to some of the characters who had stories left open in the World of Balance. Now, if they'd integrated some of that development into the World of Balance, we could have skipped Ruin entirely.

Masa wrote:
VII had its strong points and some weak points. None glaring really, besides becoming the staple RPG and popularizing the Sephiroth arch-type.

Since I think it's a bad idea to criticize graphics, since those are not what makes an RPG, you're mostly correct. I actually felt that Final Fantasy VII had a couple of other major, discernible weak points. I felt that the storyline was actually too convoluted for its own good, and the exploration of certain elements of it (specifically, the exact nature of the relationship between Sephiroth and Cloud, and the whole Cloud-clone-thing) were muggy at best, and lacked the kind of clear exploration I would have genuinely enjoyed.

I don't mind having a complicated storyline. Hell, I don't even mind loose ends. However, Final Fantasy VII tries to close its loose ends and ends up kind of bogged down in parts of the story.

That having been said, it definitely has its strong points. I find nothing to complain about in the battle system, or the core group of characters. I intensely dislike Sephiroth (mostly because of what his character created insofar as fanboyism and archetype) but I like the other villains, and I like that part of the storyline. I actually think they would have been better off without the save-the-world element of the story which arrives later with the summoning of Meteor and keeping the focus on the idea of revenge, both on Cloud and Sephiroth's part, which I felt was a much more interesting story.

But that's just me.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
When you actually look at the base storyline V, X & X-2 are really the only ones which break from the trend of 'Sword wielding hero from Nation A investigates Nation B regarding hostilities and finds sinister force at work, said hero sets about deestablishment of said regime'

This is true to an extent. However, I would say that most of the Final Fantasy games do a reasonably good job of deviating from that core story eventually. In Final Fantasy IV, Baron is basically a non-entity halfway through the game when the storyline shifts to a larger sinister activity going on in the world at large. Other games share a similar transition. They're definitely pretty formulaic though, and that's in large part due to the fact that the formula works. It generates money for Squaresoft (and later, Square-Enix) and that's what a company is all about: the bottom line.

I actually have to disagree with you about this in terms of Final Fantasy VII however. While yes, the beginning of the game does involve a struggle against the Shinra corporation, that's not because we don't already know that Shinra is corrupt and evil. Cloud isn't from Nation A, he's from the Shinra nation, just like everyone else. Shinra is the only nation. They control everything already. We already know that any government like that has to have its problems. Granted, we don't know the full extent of the various evil things they've done, but we have a good idea that they're not up to anything good with their Mako power and whatnot.

Final Fantasy VII is also less tangential than some of the other games, in that it doesn't really break away from the all-encompassing meddling of the Shinra corporation. We're dealing with a story about revenge for injustices done; basically that's the motivation of most characters in the game. I also think it fits the best with Final Fantasy VII, where it's not just a subplot to launch us into a larger save-the-world plot...although we do end up with save-the-world eventually (which, as I've said, I consider unfortunate).

None of this really justifies a remake, and we've digressed pretty well from the original topic at this point. To get us back on track: should Final Fantasy VII be remade? Sure, whatever Square-Enix wants to do, they can do. They want to make money, so they should remake the game. If it really looks pretty, I might even play it. I didn't dislike Final Fantasy VII enough that I'll never pick it up again... I'm one of those darn video game replayers.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
VI was near flawless, save for of course, the World of Ruin. It's like a tacked on sequel so devoid of fun that slamming your finger into a door for about thirty minutes would more or less equal to the same sort of torture World of Ruin inflicts on you. It's not pleasant folks, and it doesn't get better. If the game had ended on the floating continent, it would have been a perfect (if not short) game. We can dream though.

Wow, I thought completely the opposite. I loved the World of Ruin, and I still think it is one of the coolest angles I have seen thrown into a game.

The good guys didn't win and basically gave up. It was so dark, depressing and desolate. The music wasn't even really music at all, just ambient horror and desolation. You wake up as Celes to see (if you don't do it right) your mentor and adopted father die. Then you take off on a rickety raft to somewhere unbeknownst to you. Finally you start to find your party, and how their lives changed, mostly for the worse.

I absolutely loved that part of the game. I don't think it was supposed to be a place of "fun" at all, but a place of sadness, with a slight will to go on and maybe change the world for the better, if you can. It put a great mood into the game; a great desperation to fight evil. I think it did this better than any Final Fantasy game ever made.

Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it got the depression down pat. But I don't think that's a good thing. Games I play for fun... and in RPGs, a little story. The World of Ruin lacked fun and was one long string of sidequests.

Desert Claw

297869 Potch
75 Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i agree with masa , that only couse of boredness to the player like me.

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

FF1, 4/ Baron v rest of world

Actually it's Cecil former Knight vs. Golbez/Zeromus. The people are not really interested in conquest and it's the pupet regime. In 1 they are trying to restore balance to the world there is no great empire to fight against. It's the sort of ultimate evil Choas.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never really like final fantasy 7 and i dont think it really deserves a remake...

I personally loved ff 6 and ff9. And i disagree with masa. I simply loved the world of ruin. The quest were at the very least interesting. Plus the world of ruin allowed for a large amount of character development.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though it is true that Final Fantasy VII got more attention that it really deserves, I personally think that it is the best game in the series there is, partly because it is the only one that managed to envoy the feeling of a believable universe to me (not necessarily a believable story, mind you).

That said, given the option of a remake, I would rather see Square-Enix using their resource elsewhere than to make any game with an exact same story (even though they might add some extra plots). However, if they do make one, I am fine with it and might even play it given the chance.

To summarize, I am indifferent towards a Final Fantasy VII remake.

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does it need to be remade? probably not, but would i be interested in a remake? yes

Sure it got a lot of hype and it was a good game, but not my favorite of the FFs.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bah... Not this again... There's never going to be a resolution to this fight ovwer whether Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest RPG or if it sucks. Personally I think the game was decent and deserves respect, but it definitely does not deserve all the fanboyism that it has. No game deserves the constant admiration that Final Fantasy 7 received. Its borderline obsessive how some people go crazy for the game. I know a friend of mine who refuses to play any other RPG because he feels it will pale in comparison to FF7.

The demo looked cool, I will give it that, but that does not mean the entire game is worth remaking. The amount of money they pour into a remake of Final Fantasy 7 could be used to make a bunch of better games. Yes, a bunch. Get rid of all the high graphic cut-scenes that make you goo "oooh" and "ahhh" because you can see the folicles on the character's scalp and go back to what made the series great. Great characters, a linear storyline that is understandable the first time through with sidequests that not only are fun, but rewarding. No ore of this spending thirty hours playing some side game just to get some unrewarding weapon that is not even stronger than the ones you can buy at the last shop in the game, or some "card" that is rare that has absolutely no bearing on the world being saved whatsoever. Back in the day, if you went on a sidequest, you got something useful for spending time away from saving the world. I found Blitzball fun in its own right, but really what business does Tidus have swimming about in a massive pool while Sin is pillaging the world? And really, what did you ever get from playing Blitzball that was even rewarding? Not much really.

After playing Dragon Quest VIII I realized that a good game does not need all that pep and jazz. Solid characters that you like and a storyline that you can enjoy and understand is all that is needed. Final Fantasy has lost its edge. Ever since the twisted storylines of FFVII the series has tried to constantly throw all these plot heavy stories that are more confusing than they are enjoyable. Final Fantasy VIII for example was a perfect example of Square trying way to hard to recreate the success of VII. The "plot twist" was straight up retarded and none of the characters had the development to make tyou feel attached to any of them. Same with FFX. People only liked Auron because he looked cool and killed things easy early on in the game. If he had weenie strength like Rikku, nobody would have liked Auron. Screw his personality, if he sucked in battle people would have not cared.

Dragon Quest VIII is proof that a great game can still be made in this era without heavy graphics, complex storylines and a trillion impossible sidequests. The game gave a well made and linear story with characters that while not developed to the extent of say FFIX's characters (9 was the FF with the best character development by the way, in the PS era) you still felt compelled to play as them and each was unique and great in their own right.

If Sony makes Final Fantasy VII again for the PS3, I'll probably not buy it because I won't have a PS3 until I see a game worth buying the system for. And since Suikoden VI has not been announced, I see no reason to get a PS3. If somehow it is released on the PSP, I might.. might being the key word, buy a PSP.

Quote:
What u sayin is correct. but i disagree with you. you see, more than 70% of Final Fantasy Fan say that FF7 it the greatest Final Fantasy.

One quick word on that line there. I know most Final Fantasy Fans have never played all the rest of the games and most who have played them all reckognize that 6 and 4 are excellent, if not on par woth 7. Some also will argue 8 or 9 are in the upper eschelon as well. Personally I think the best Final Fantasy ever released was VI followed by Tactics and then VII and IX in a tie for third. I'm not gung-ho over IV but it was great. Most people who are huge FF7 fanboys never played through all the rest and beat them, so that statistic, while in itself is probably made up, if it were true is skewed because of lack of information about the rest of the series.

If that statistic were true, then how come nowhere near 70% of the Final Fantasy fans here have stood up and said that FF7 is their favorite? I can tell you why. because we are Suikoden fans and we exude the intelligence it takes to enjoy better games and we understand that Final Fantasy 7 is not the end all be all of video gaming. I see the average Suikoden fan as 5x smarter than the average Final Fantasy fan solely on the basis that the majority of the people who play Suikoden are rational and intelligent, where as the majority of the gung-ho Final Fantasy 7 fans I meet online can do nothing but speak in netspeak and say they all other games are inferior to FF7 without ever playing them or having any basis for their arguement.

I would much rather see FF6 remade with better graphics (kept exactly the same though in terms of story, sidequests and such) the only difference I'd like would be the tweaking of the characters so that people like Sabin, Cyan, Mog and Gau aren't so overclassed by Celes, Terra, Locke and Relm by the end game because they're more reliant on magic or speed and can equip the best stuff. Fix the Vigor problem and then the game would be more balanced. No new characters, no new dungeons (or if they are, make them storyline related) I'd pay to see that game, way more than a new Final Fantasy 7 remake. For sure.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: