Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kibbutz Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PS3 preorders anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you preorder the PS3?
Yep, 10/10/06 at gamestop/eb
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yeah, at some other game store
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Tried, but couldn't get one
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Nope, but will wait in line for it when it comes out
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
No, buying other system/s
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
Saving money for other holiday stuff
38%
 38%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 36

Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I have nothing against the Wii, in fact I think it's worth $250 even though it's almost just a control concept upgrade from a gamecube

been listening to Kaz Hirai huh? :wink:

It amazes me how the playstation 3 was THE thing in christmas, and now they are just sitting around in stores in stacks/piles. heck, anyone see that special gamestop is running? you trade in your ps2, two controllers, and any ps2 memory card, and $100 off of either ps3 model. while the deal is tempting, i still rather like my ps2, and my ddr pad won't work with the ps3. and there's also the fact that there's only sports titles and that one FPS for ps3, two genres i don't really care for.

hell, i'm a cheap bastard. it hurt to fork over 250 for the wii, and i'm still waiting for a price drop on the 360.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the moment a real console-mover title comes out for the PS3 then the units will begin selling much faster. At the moment there's no game on the PS3 that screams "buy a PS3 and play me!". I know some people point out Resistance: Fall of Man and I have played the game at a friend who has a PS3. It was fun in the beginning but it soon got old and even the 40-man multiplayer online modes got old real fast.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

been listening to Kaz Hirai huh?

Did he say that? I hate all the big wigs in each video game company bashing the others while saying nothing bad at all ever about their own screw ups in interviews, those are the worst Q&As ever as they provide no facts while kissing their own company's ass non stop and just bitch about their foes like little girls.

To me I don't see how the Wii is ever gona be as popular and hyped up as it is now, sure it will be a good system until nintendo decides to give up on it like they did to the gamecube, but it would seem really hard to get a steady supply of good games for it since it would take a lot of smart thinking and creativity to get a game to work well on the Wii.

Like the DS, I'm sure each year there will be close to half a dozen top sellers for the Wii just based on great japanese developed games alone, but when it comes to more popular series here in north america, you are just going to get pretty boring ports with weak motion controls that will look no where near as good as it would on the PS3 or 360.

Plus even if a fun brand new game or a seriously good port was made for the Wii, people may not care for it. If a random person have a choice to get a game on Wii or another system, I'm sure more would be suckered in by great graphics on the box or in ads than fun controls you won't learn from pictrues or reading. I don't know about anyone else but dispite the very fun controls for madden on wii I much rather have the great graphics on the other 2 consols, and that's for a case when the controls got about as fun as it will ever get...

Also in terms of a PS3 price drop, can sony really afford it until at least 2-3 must have games comes out? I mean all the people that are saying they can't afford a PS3 and don't think the game selection is worth the cost is still gona say that even if the price go down by $100, and there ain't no way sony can afford that. So what's the point for them to cut prices if there is nothing to increase the demand?

Hell after seeing how big a push zelda made for the wii, if I was sony I would have just gave Square as much money as they can ask for at the start of this year and told them to beef up the graphics for FFXII along with a few sixaxis controls dropped in, then have it ported to the PS3 and move its release date back 2 weeks to the same as the PS3 launch. Same game as the PS2 version or not, that would push their sales and sure as hell would put the "no good game for PS3" talks to bed. But I guess when PS3s were going for 3k each on ebay no one was really expecting it to stop selling so fast.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any talk of Sony dropping the price on the PS3 is just fanboy wishing. Sony is losing close to over 250+ dollars on each PS3 sold. If they lower the price even after a year from it's initial launch date they'll lose even more. It will be at least 18 months or more before Sony even thinks about lowering the price on the PS3. So, those saying that they will wait for the PS3 to have a price drop may have to wait longer than they want to. I still blame Sony's insistence on making Blu-Ray the optical player of choice for the PS3. I mean does anyone who actually own a PS3 going to actually start buying Blu-Ray dvd movies in bunches to really utilize the Blu-Ray player to its utmost.

I'm not sold on either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD just for the fact that both the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movie franchises haven't been announced as coming out on either. Right now the only movies coming out for those so-called nextgen dvd formats are movies that's only been out the past year, or past ones that no one really cared much about.

Sony has a major decision to make when it comes to their dominance of the console industry. They can either lose more marketshare to both Microsoft and Nintendo by keeping the PS3's price where it is for as long as they can to minimize profit loss. Or they can cut the price of the console to attract those waiting for the price drop, but lose billions instead of hundreds of millions on the system. I see Sony going for the former just the fact that Sony's shareholders will rather lose marketshare than profits.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Sony is losing close to over 250+ dollars on each PS3 sold. If they lower the price even after a year from it's initial launch date they'll lose even more. It will be at least 18 months or more before Sony even thinks about lowering the price on the PS3.

I comepletely agree with that, unlike ps2 vs xbox when sony cut the ps2 price by $100 microsoft had no choice but to do so as well because they were already way behind. In terms of brand name and establishing a fan base the PS3 will need no help, and Sony already priced the PS3 out of the regular consol price range so cutting price too soon will only make both the blue ray and PS3 seem like failed products. The main reason why it's not selling well is because of the wii taking away quite a bit of the current system buyers and it's list of games are not too great, otherwise even with all the crying about high price it would still be selling out, those problems will be fixed but from the looks of it not soon enough...

Quote:

I mean does anyone who actually own a PS3 going to actually start buying Blu-Ray dvd movies in bunches to really utilize the Blu-Ray player to its utmost.

Hello! I didn't really buy any until this week(some are on sale at best buy) and that's only because I am planning on getting 4 at the price of 1, count those with the 2 I got discounted at launch I guess I'm getting all 6 for like $40. I'm not even a DVD collector because I think they are a waste of money since I don't like rewatching movies, so just like the UMD, while the blue ray is in I will get some just to have them but only at 50% off or more from the over priced retail costs.

I don't see blue ray just completely failing like the UMD since it does offer much more than just portability, and once the PS3 system sales picks up I think it would be fine, if anything HD DVDs would be a harder sale to me unless it somehow becomes a popular standard PC drive. I won't pay $300 for a blue ray quality dvd player and $30 per disc even if I had a great home theater setup, but I'm sure someone who have that kind of money would since it does look a great deal better than a regular dvd. Only time will tell if blue ray fails or not, unless sony admits putting it into the PS3 is a complete mistake, I don't see that it will though.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as some here know I am a dvd collector and I don't see myself adopting either format until one has been chosen as the one and only standard. If any, I see both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD failing if downloading movies and programs directly from the distributors becomes the main alternative way to buy games and movies. Sony will never admit to their mistakes. No company ever will since to do so will show that company's shareholders that those in charge are idiots at best and clinically retarded at worst. Sony never admitted their mistakes with failed formats such as the UMD, MiniDisc, Network Player and Betamax.

If I have to choose between which format will end up becoming the standard then I'd say it'll be the HD-DVD since its manufacturing costs are way lower than those for the Blu-Ray discs which need brand new manufacturing tools to produce the discs. The HD-DVD, while not holding as much information (something being worked on by its developers), still uses pre-existing DVD manufacturing techniques and tools to produce. I was one of the early proponents of Blu-Ray until Sony screwed up its development and its overall costs to purchase and own.

I still believe that the PS3 will end up selling the most units in its lifespan, but it won't be the dominating numbers over the 360, or even the Wii. Microsoft learned from its mistakes with the first Xbox and Nintendo pretty much decided it couldn't outspend either Sony or Microsoft in the R&D department for a nextgen console so decided to go a different route. Those who seem to wish for Microsoft to go away will be very disappointed. For a company that no one took seriously when it entered the gaming business it's becoming one of the powerhouses of the industry. But then it helps when the company has 35 billion dollars in cash reserves to back up the product. Something Sony and Nintendo couldn't match if the two ever decide to go on a spending contest with the House Gates Built. I see Microsoft continue to look at small to medium sized developers to acquire. It's a practice people consider cheating but it seems to be working for them.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Sony is losing close to over 250+ dollars on each PS3 sold. If they lower the price even after a year from it's initial launch date they'll lose even more. It will be at least 18 months or more before Sony even thinks about lowering the price on the PS3. So, those saying that they will wait for the PS3 to have a price drop may have to wait longer than they want to. I still blame Sony's insistence on making Blu-Ray the optical player of choice for the PS3. I mean does anyone who actually own a PS3 going to actually start buying Blu-Ray dvd movies in bunches to really utilize the Blu-Ray player to its utmost.

Theres a difference between thinking about lowering the price and being forced to, if sales are bad, they must do whatevers neccessary to sell consoles to setup their business. They will not continue to sell a console at a price if it is not selling. Full stop. Then again, I don't think sales will be bad enough to warrant that, which is a shame, I want a cheap one. :P
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes but for you and about 90% of those that say "I want a cheap one", even if sony somehow just cut off their own balls and take another $100 hit per system, would you buy a PS3 if it was $399 for the 20 gig consol? I would think not, as long as the 360 is cheaper and more ahead in progress, so until the PS3 starts to catch up a bit to the 360 here in the US which would take at least til the end of this year, they would only make themself look bad by cutting prices without having the goods to back it up.

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to cut the price sooner than expected, but without some more games that would sell the system or even sell well themselves, it hardly accomplish the point when taking a bigger hit on the PS3 system.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know gamers don't like to follow the business side of the industry but people need to be reminded that Sony has only started making net profit in the past couple financial quarters. From 2003 through the first 3 months of 2006, Sony was bringing in revenues but they were spending more thus they were not making any profit. Even with the success of the PS2 they were still in the red during those times due to the poor showing of the PSP (well compared to the DS at least) and its proprietary UMD format.

Sony is still not out of the woods. They've slashed company workforce by at least 10-15 percent within the last 18 months. For a company with employees numbering over a hundred thousand that's alot of people. Sony pushed to have Blu-Ray as the new standard DVD format because they pretty much own the licensing and manufacturing rights to the technology. Everytime some company decides to make a Blu-Ray player and/or produce Blu-Ray DVDs Sony gets royalty and licensing money. So far, it hasn't worked out as they've predicted. The PS3 was suppose to generate massive sales of Blu-Ray DVD movies, but outside of the Sony owned movie titles and a few from outside studios, no one's really buying them.

All this means is that Sony will have to find other ways to bring in even more revenues to off-set the massive loss their taking in from the PS3 units being sold, or not being sold. One, they will not slash prices on the PS3 for a long time to come even is the 360 goes down in price. Two, they will most likely start looking at charging for their online network. Infrastructure on such things and maintaining them do cost money. Three, they'll continue to push the PS2 beyond its lifespan. This is great for those not thinking of owning a PS3, but those waiting for the PS3 price to drop would then have to wait even longer.

Again, people either buy the system now or wait at least two years before Sony even thinks of dropping the price. I doubt that Sony will not reach the 10 million PS3 unit sold by the end of the year, but they surely will need some help in doing so. Having must-have games is one and proving to developers and publishers that their online network is as good as Live is another. It doesn't help Sony that they lost exclusive rights to GTA4 and might also lose it as well for MGS4 is Capcom decides to release it multiplatform. Then there's the 800-pound gorilla set to come out in time for Turkey Day and the start of the holiday season: Halo 3. Whenever a new Halo game comes out it moves and sells consoles. PS3 needs something in the magnitude of Halo 3 to move more units. I dont see a title this year that theyve announced that I see moving alot of PS3's.

EDIT: Here's one bit of news to come out of Europe about the potential price hike of the PS3 for its European launch in March.

Quote:
European PS3 Price Leaked?
Purse strings may be stretched slightly further than expected.
by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, January 17, 2007 - Sony's Official PS3 website in Ireland may have revealed the final cost of the console in Europe. Ready that sharp intake of breath though - according to the site, Sony's next-gen machine could hit shelves with a price tag more expensive than previously thought.

Currently, both 60GB and 20GB models appear to have increased by 30 Euros - at 629.99 EUR and 529.99 EUR respectively. A direct Euro to GBP conversion makes that a price hike of around twenty quid. However, the news isn't likely to affect anyone in the UK too much, with 629.99 EUR roughly equating to 413.962 GBP. In other words, still a tenner cheaper than we were expecting to pay anyway.

When quizzed today, a Sony representative told us they were "looking into" the issue. Those worried the UK cost may also increase can find some solace in the fact that Sony said it's "very likely" the 60GB version will launch here at the anticipated RRP of £425.

We're expecting an official announcement regarding both the PS3's European price and, hopefully, the release date early next week.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My brother wants one but he couldn't find one anywhere. :(

The Fashion Divas

165087 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not much of an economist as you guys, your really detailed in this stuff :? but to put it simply, the production process of the ps3 was probably very expensive because of the blu ray, that means they didn't use ther resources efficiently, if they wouldn't have been stubborn enough as to produce the ps3 with the blu ray, they might have gained better sales but its because of their stubborness that caused this! I think that probably there must have been some kind of economist that might have given them a hint but they ignored it because fine even if we the consumers, we always want more right( in this case better graphics)? all they (sony) want is to satisfy our wants but they aren't satisfying us! they just pushed the limits! I mean the ps2 is as good as it gets! it has great(and better) games and such and it can still compete against the wii because sony just might come out with an idea and have the same contol system as wii! But since the production costed alot the price as Tullaryx said isn't going change too soon thus since the demand is always lowering(because of the price) the supply will just hit sony in the face becasue the demand doesn't meet the supply! Therefore even if in two years time the ps3 does lower, there will still be a low demand for it and so they won't make any profit out of the ps3!

Seeing this people (mostly not hardcore players) will just give up and spend money on other interesting stuff and there might be another console which might be better off than the ps2 and xbox360 but still cheap thus making the more impact on the market getting a further lower of deman in the ps3!!! so Even if there'd be game which is worth the ps3 ( which for now is kind of ...absurd) only a few players that really want it or else just have enough money to afford it might buy it!

All in all i'd rather buy a psp (more convenient) than a ps3! Or else i'd rather go on holiday :wink: ... or else just buy what i really need ...yup yup
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the pricing for the European, Australian and New Zealand launch of the PS3 has been released. The prices are for the 60GB model with the 20GB model to arrive later in the year if demand for it warrants a release. The prices will have it's US dollar equivalent after conversion.

UK price: 425pounds. ($836US)
Europe: 599 Euros ($777US)
Australia: 999.95 AU$ ($781US)
New Zealand: 1199.95 NZ$ ($840US)

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jeez, that's pretty darn expensive in the UK and New Zealand. I'm expecting a PS3 to get shipped to me in a couple of weeks. Too bad I can't keep it though because I'm sending it to Iraq for my bro.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

here's a story on the possible PS3 price cut...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165103.html

like I said it wouldn't really suprise me if sony did cut prices since the 20 gig version was price cutted way before launch in japan, but I don't know a single person who would want to buy a PS3 at it's current state even if it was somehow $100 off so I don't even see the point, and lets face it, everyone knows how much that system costs to make so a $100 price cut would not really be possible.

I don't see why sony can't just sweeten the deal when buying a system like they do a blue ray dvd player where they would give away like 2 or 3 free movies of the buyer's choice. I see the ps3 selling alot better if they included say resistance or some free blue ray movies than just a $50 or even $100 price cut.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs, looks like I was right. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: