Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

PS3 preorders anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you preorder the PS3?
Yep, 10/10/06 at gamestop/eb
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Yeah, at some other game store
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Tried, but couldn't get one
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Nope, but will wait in line for it when it comes out
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
No, buying other system/s
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
Saving money for other holiday stuff
38%
 38%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 36

Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yesterday, I attended the midnight release of the Playstation 3 hoping to get my hands on one. Obviously, I didn't get one. I totally underestimated the lack of units avaliable and the resolve of some people. I didn't even have a chance!

I thought I was pretty slick. Wal-Mart released their brochures at the last minute, so I thought I was in very good shape. But nope, I underestimated the god powers of the internet. Apparently the first 12 people in line were there since Monday. They even had tents, radios and the works. You'd think we were in the woods. I checked the kiosk for the Electronics section and they said that they're in short supply. They were supposed to have 10 but the sign said that they have less then that. Also, the accessories for the PS3 and Wii were long gone. So much for that escapade.

Anyway, demand will be very high for quite some time, so if any of you manage to lay hands of a system, then I salute your efforts along with a sign that says "I hate you". (jjrs you are so lucky!) I'm thinking the earliest many of us will get our systems is after the New Year. I don't think a few of us have the heart to kill innocent old ladies on Black Friday. For our European friends, it may take even longer than that. Good luck to everyone here that braves the holiday shopping massacre.

Personally, this whole experience has made me bitter for the PS3, hah. I think I'll just stick with a Wii and call it a year. I want a Wii pretty badly; I'm willing to camp out for it. The price is absolutely perfect and the launch titles are stellar. Twilight Princess and Trauma Center are big enough draws for me. Heck, even Wii sports looks interesting provided that you have enough people to share the fun.

I'm still going to get the Playstation 3, but I really just wanted to sell it. The opportunity looks like it's gone, though. The launch titles are so-so and the price is just ridiculous. But oh man . . . the game footage looks [color=gold] SHINY! [/gold]

The one thing I have always wanted to do is play a game with the people in this board. I've heard enough of "I'd play you in Soul Calibur!" or "I'd own you" from a few members here. Imagine all the competitions running rampant on this board! Because we're all gamers in message forums, you would think that our skill level in most games is pretty high. And they say that to become the best, you have to beat the best (Plus it's good practice). The future looks bright for gaming.

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ced The Lad wrote:

I thought I was pretty slick. Wal-Mart released their brochures at the last minute, so I thought I was in very good shape. But nope, I underestimated the god powers of the internet. Apparently the first 12 people in line were there since Monday. They even had tents, radios and the works. You'd think we were in the woods.

Jesus Videogaming christ, that's something. Something not so healthy.

I'll probably get it a year or a year and a half after the launch, IF I get it. Price drops and knowing they'll solve any errors the console might have are what made me come to this conclusion.

The complete lack of money had a lot to do too.
glen

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

no way man on the news somes guys got shot for there money at the store so they could buy the game because they could not afford to buy it them self or people are buying them then selling them on ebay for round $6000.00 to people who want them real bad that they will pay any price to get one no i will wait till they have more games coming out that by then people will not get hurt or killed over it when i buy it.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got my 60 gig gamestop preorder this morning standing in line from 6:30-8:00, I was supried to find out I was the only person there out of 8 who's gona sell theirs, I guess the money seems less valueble to those getting a PS3 without freezing thier ass off over night for 32 hours in line. Got home at 8:30 with 2 systems but no game so I decided to break one out and watch the will farrell movie only to find out the PS3 system came with PS1 A/V cords... seriously. I tried a S-video connection but the blue ray movie still looked like crap.

went to work at 10 and found out a fellow co-worker is gona go to a remote walmart on Sat to wait for a Wii with her boyfriend and he won't be getting one. I hated to see that spot in line go to waste since she is gona force him to go with her no matter what, but after unable to convince her to either buy 2 and sell one for possible profit for herself or sale her extra spot in line for cash to someone else, I had no choice but to offer to give her some cash so she can get an extra Wii for me, so I'd say now I have a 50/50 shot at getting a second one of those. Not so sure selling the second one will fetch anything with the supply being 3 million and all, but it's going for 600-800 on ebay now.

After work I went to Circuit city to get some HD a/v cables and got the cheapest option there of the PS2 monster hd cables for $50+ which I'm gona return later once I sold all my systems, some guy working there offered me 2k for a system and I agreed to sale it to him since some were going as low as 1.5k this morning but I'm not really counting that deal to go through nor do I think the price on ebay would drop to that low before I sell them so I'm not in any kind of rush.

I kind of felt bad as everyone at my 3rd PS3 preorder store who knew I was getting the first one was apologizing to me after their shipment got pushed back, saying: "I'm so sorry we counldn't get you one" and "you will get the first one in when we get them..." I didn't want to lie about anything but I didn't want my name pulled from a promised early Dec shipment for bragging either so I just kept my mouth shut. Kind of sorry on my part but I can think of worst things I would do for 1k+ and odds are people that got them there was gona sell them for profit anyways.

what is dissapointing though is that both of the PS3 games I got today were not even close to as good as I expected. Resistance felt like a slightly better version of that EA game Black and the graphics were okay at best on an hd tv after I got the hd cables, I only played it for about half an hour but I'd take PDZ on 360 over it gameplay wise and graphicly. NBA 2k7 also looked pretty bad to me, I can almost swear steve nash and other player models looked better and smoother in the 360 version and I can't say anything looks more detailed either, using the sixaxis for free throws is kind of cool but very hard to control. I may go through madden and tony hawk tomorrow just to see if I can tell of any differences, I'd better be since madden promised major changes in tackle animation and all the reviews said TH looks better on PS3.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't feel bad if you missed out and you actually plan to keep one. Wait for the bugs to be worked out as much as they can and wait for better games.

I don't know why people thought PS3 was going to be better graphically when game makers have said themselves for a while now there is no difference. People who trusted sony's words that it would be better don't know much about big corperations. The $200 extra is really for the blue ray which may or may not fly.

I wouldn't worry too much about all the bad stuff if you are planning to get some time though. The ps2 had almost as bad of a launch and look what happened there. And ps2 had the worst graphics and ps3 IS on par with 360. Hopefully konami and square will pressure sony more over the next year and sony will drop the price more in japan and drop the price over here.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

skymansxeno wrote:

I don't know why people thought PS3 was going to be better graphically when game makers have said themselves for a while now there is no difference. People who trusted sony's words that it would be better don't know much about big corperations. The $200 extra is really for the blue ray which may or may not fly.

That's true, I think they shot themself in the foot by not including any kind of hd video cable with the system, the 3rd party monster hdmi cable is $100 and the hd PS2 cable I got was $50 so I'm sure official sony brand ones will be the same if not more expensive, which will cost at least 1/3 of the people that spent or will be spending every penny they have to get a PS3 to miss out on really using the blue ray player. I don't see why they counldn't have just swaped the memory stick slots to including the a/v cord since that thing is useless until at least a few years away when more people own the system, it will cost them a bit more for production costs but at least that will accomplish their goal of promoting the blue ray player, which I'm sure would lead to better blue ray disc sales too so they can make some money back that way.

I also like the Xbox 360 dashboard interface much better than the PS3 menu system completely ripped off from the PSP, it feels cheap, dated and boring. Also I don't know if it's just me but I loved the achivement points system on the 360, and where as I played most multiplatform games on the xbox instead of my ps2 because it looked much better, the graphics of the PS3 games must get way better before I would consider getting the same title on it instead of on the 360.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I had the 360 for a short while but the thing had problems. It kept freezing on me and would crash sometimes. But I did like the system a lot. It is just as good as the ps3 (at least in terms of graphics and such). I wish games like MGS and Suikoden and FF would try to port to 360 but I don't see that happening anytime soon. The 360 does not sell well in Japan. So the chances of those Japanese games coming to the 360 are slim to nill. So I'm afraid we fans of those games are probably stuck. Like I said, my biggest hope is Konami and Square to put pressure on them in the next couple of years and get the price down. I doubt it will go down much or at all until after MGS and FF come out. Because you know a lot of people will break down when those come out and buy them even for $600.

I think the PS3 success depends mostly on two things: online strategy and blue ray success (and maybe combatability with the psp as well). So far things look bleak with this launch but sony will probably come out on top in the end. I still think the PS3 has more potential then the 360 in some ways. Whether or not that potential is brought out in the next few years remains to be seen though.

Edit: Oh and yes they should be shot for not including at least component cables in the value bundle. I mean the ps3 is made for HD tv and they don't even give you component cables?!! What the HELL?!!!
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like I may end up getting one of the three systems for Xmas. However, since I haven't picked up a new system in four years, I am unfamiliar with what games are coming out. If someone could mention the top games (speculated or validated) for each system, I would greatly appreciate it.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

which one do you plan on getting? I guess it makes a huge difference financially to whoever is paying for your new system if you are getting a PS3 instead of the other 2, but unless that person is you I don't see why you wouldn't just ask for a PS3 since you won't be spending the money.

On 360 there are some cheaper good options after the system's been out for a year with PDZ, NFS, PGR and kameo on the cheap $29.99 list(which are all $10 off at best buy this week for only $19.99 each by the way) and some older good titles with a price cut at $39.99 like GRAW, CoD2 and DOA4, then there are newer good ones like Gears of War, CoD3 and 07 sports game which are also good on PS3, while on PS3 there's those sports games that are proven to be good too but other than that there's basicly only resistance which is getting 85%+ rating wise and maybe ridge racer or CoD3. Wii you got to get zelda, and other than that super monkey ball got good reviews as well as madden and Trauma center.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

360- Gears of War is currently the raved about game on the system. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is still doing absurdly well considering it was released at the end of March.

PS3- Resistance: Fall of Man is the game to get on the PS3, it's been by far the best reviewed and it just looks fun enough to play too. Most of the other games from what I've heard about are average at best and leading down to "omg why did we waste time making this game."

Wii- Twilight Princess is a no-brainer, and I've heard a bunch of people brag about Trauma Center.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So is the PS3 region free for games???

Is it region free for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games or just region free for PS3 games?
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^ Just PS3 games. :(
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="skymansxeno"]I wish games like MGS and Suikoden and FF would try to port to 360 but I don't see that happening anytime soon. The 360 does not sell well in Japan. So the chances of those Japanese games coming to the 360 are slim to nill. So I'm afraid we fans of those games are probably stuck. /quote]

I wouldn't call porting those titles over to the 360 as being a dead issue just because the 360 doesn't sell well in Japan. The truth of the matter is that the 360 sells well everywhere else outside of Japan and I think non-Japanese players who own 360's also enjoy these titles. It would give publishers like Konami, Capcom and Square-Enix some thought to try and mine this market for more revenues by porting over such titles over to the 360. They can still sell the PS3 version primarily in Japan but I think if gamers were given a chance to choose in the North America, Europe and the rest of the Asia region don't be surprised if some pick the 360 versions over the PS3 one.

Plus, the 360 may never, and probably will remain third in the Japan market, be number but with games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being one of the most awaited games in Japan the 360 could sell quite well. Already all Blue Dragon limited edition 360 bundles have already sold out in Japan and there's still weeks to go before its release. If, Suikoden VI does get a 360 port then I shall be getting that version since the achievement system for the 360 will prove to people that I've actually passed the game with all 108 stars and the best ending. It's hard to do that with the Sony console versions.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Speaking of Suikoden, has any PS3 owner tried to boot up the first two? I hear there are some interesting glitches.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Plus, the 360 may never, and probably will remain third in the Japan market, be number but with games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being one of the most awaited games in Japan the 360 could sell quite well

Actually those two game are being ported to the PS3 at some point after the release so that wont really help the 360 come out on top that much, it just give the consumer choice about what platform they wish to play it on, which is never a bad thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: